+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 30 of 30

Thread: Board Games

  1. #1
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    978
    Post Thanks / Like

    Board Games

    With the Christmas holidays almost upon us, I am wondering, what board games do you and your family enjoy playing? Does your family play any "non-traditional" board games, and if so, which ones?

    My family engages in several intense games of Acquire every holiday season - a game of stock speculation and corporate merger. I'm curious, has anyone else played Acquire? Its the best board game I've ever come across. Below is a picture of the vintage and contemporary versions.


    Thanks Jeremy D. Scott, Jim Chabot - "thanks" for this post

  2. #2
    Senior Member Michael Flowers's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Mattoon, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    1,870
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Board Games

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Kibbe View Post
    With the Christmas holidays almost upon us, I am wondering, what board games do you and your family enjoy playing? Does your family play any "non-traditional" board games, and if so, which ones?

    My family engages in several intense games of Acquire every holiday season - a game of stock speculation and corporate merger. I'm curious, has anyone else played Acquire? Its the best board game I've ever come across. Below is a picture of the vintage and contemporary versions.


    My dad and I played this game quite a bit when I was growing up. I don't have a copy of the game myself (I just discovered what I want for Christmas), but it truly is a great game.

    Sequence is another game that my family enjoys playing, also other classic board games. I myself really enjoy Catan and a few of the newer games that are out.

    A game that my wife and I got into a couple months ago and that is absolutely amazing is Mexican Train Dominoes.
    Thanks Diane Likens, Marcus Kibbe - "thanks" for this post

  3. #3
    Senior Member Craig Laughlin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Posts
    4,234
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Board Games

    Settlers of Catan. New to me but we are having a lot of fun with it.
    It is not enough to be right, you have to be like Jesus.
    Thanks Shea Zellweger, Todd Erickson - "thanks" for this post

  4. #4
    Senior Member Susan Unger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    9,159
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Board Games

    Parents love Yahtzee. I like phase 10, bible trivia, sequence, and at family reunions we enjoy PIT.
    Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. 1 John 3:18

    There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. 1 John 4:18a


    Become an organ donor ~ donatelife.net ~ www.organdonor.gov

  5. #5
    Senior Member Steven Burton's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    McKinney, Tx
    Posts
    3,007
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Board Games

    We played yahtzee and monopoly.
    "Means we use must be as pure as the ends we seek."
    Thanks David Graham - "thanks" for this post

  6. #6
    Senior Member Jeremy D. Scott's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Hingham, Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    1,757
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Board Games

    My favorite board game at the moment continues to be Settlers of Catan: Cities & Knights. But if you're new to SoC, try the original first.

    The game I play the most with my kids now is one I first heard about here on Naznet from Jeff Sykes: Ticket to Ride. We love the game. And the iOS app is also superb.

    I've also enjoyed some others of late: Dominion, 7 Wonders, and Agricola.

    A great website for reviews and such is www.gameboardgeek.com
    Thanks Todd Erickson, Marcus Kibbe, Gina Stevenson - "thanks" for this post

  7. #7
    Host Sports forum Shea Zellweger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lenexa, KS
    Posts
    5,656
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Board Games

    Risk. We always play Risk. Original Risk, Lord of the Rings Risk, and absolutely NOT Star Wars Risk (if the Dark Side can survive the first 7 turns, it's pretty much guaranteed to win).

  8. #8
    Senior Member Cam Pence's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Elkhart, IN
    Posts
    2,660
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Board Games

    Quelf, Cranium, Scene It, and Apples to Apples
    "Love without holiness disintegrates into sentimentality. Personal integrity is lost. But holiness without love is not holiness at all. In spite of its label, it displays harshness, judgmentalism, a critical spirit, and all its capacity for discrimination end in nit-picking and divisiveness."-Mildred Bangs Wynkoop

  9. #9
    Senior Member Steven Burton's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    McKinney, Tx
    Posts
    3,007
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Board Games

    Quote Originally Posted by Shea Zellweger View Post
    Risk. We always play Risk. Original Risk, Lord of the Rings Risk, and absolutely NOT Star Wars Risk (if the Dark Side can survive the first 7 turns, it's pretty much guaranteed to win).
    DArk side should always win! Try God's storm you get to fight for the under world and use gods. Its quite entertaining.
    "Means we use must be as pure as the ends we seek."
    Laughing Shea Zellweger - thanks for this funny post

  10. #10
    Senior Member Lucas Finch's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Victor, MT
    Posts
    2,206
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Board Games

    Quote Originally Posted by Shea Zellweger View Post
    Risk. We always play Risk. Original Risk, Lord of the Rings Risk, and absolutely NOT Star Wars Risk (if the Dark Side can survive the first 7 turns, it's pretty much guaranteed to win).
    Love, Love, LOVE Lord of the Rings Risk. It's been a few years, but fairly frequently I had two or three other guys who would fairly frequently challenge me at it. I would always be the evil forces, and I would always win. After many tries, though, they finally destroyed the Ring.

    I do have Star Wars Risk, too, but I have never played it. And regular Risk is, of course, a classic.

    One of my favorite new non-traditional board games is Quelf.
    If I speak God’s Word with power, revealing all his mysteries and making everything plain as day, and if I have faith that says to a mountain, “Jump,” and it jumps, but I don’t love, I’m nothing.
    Paul, 1 Corinthians 13:2

    So when the gospel is diminished to a question of whether or not a person will “get into heaven,” that reduces the good news to a ticket, a way to get past the bouncer and into the club. The good news is better than that.
    Rob Bell, Love Wins

  11. #11
    Senior Member Susan Unger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    9,159
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Board Games

    Never heard of Quelf
    Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. 1 John 3:18

    There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. 1 John 4:18a


    Become an organ donor ~ donatelife.net ~ www.organdonor.gov

  12. #12
    Senior Member Lucas Finch's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Victor, MT
    Posts
    2,206
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Board Games

    Quote Originally Posted by Susan Unger View Post
    Never heard of Quelf
    Then you haven't lived.
    If I speak God’s Word with power, revealing all his mysteries and making everything plain as day, and if I have faith that says to a mountain, “Jump,” and it jumps, but I don’t love, I’m nothing.
    Paul, 1 Corinthians 13:2

    So when the gospel is diminished to a question of whether or not a person will “get into heaven,” that reduces the good news to a ticket, a way to get past the bouncer and into the club. The good news is better than that.
    Rob Bell, Love Wins
    Laughing Gina Stevenson - thanks for this funny post

  13. #13
    Senior Member Diane Likens's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Northeast Georgia, USA
    Posts
    1,839
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Board Games

    We've recently become hooked on Mexican Train. In fact, Joe has designed a game set which includes the dominoes, domino racks, the wheel, and a wood carrying case, etc. It's really, really nice. He'll add it to his "inventory" at upcoming craft shows.

    We also enjoy a card game we call Push Rummy. It's kind of like Phase 10, but a little more cutthroat and vicious. Joe made card holders for this game -- there are some hands where a player can conceivably be holding 30 cards or more.

    Scrabble is a must as well.
    Wherever I am, God is, and all is well.
    Thanks Gina Stevenson - "thanks" for this post

  14. #14
    Host Sports forum Shea Zellweger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lenexa, KS
    Posts
    5,656
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Board Games

    Quote Originally Posted by Susan Unger View Post
    Never heard of Quelf
    It's sort of like every element anyone ever thought of for a board game rolled into one game... except there are no mousetraps or boogers.

    Fluxx, Munchkins, and We Didn't Playtest This At All are also classics (for those on here who introduced me to them, THANKS!!)

  15. #15
    Host Book & Movie forums Katelynn Scott's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pennsville, NJ
    Posts
    247
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Board Games

    Ryan and I are both big board game fans and play with both sides of our family. Some of my personal favorites include:

    Settlers of Catan, Stone Age, Beyond Balderdash, Scattergories, Bezzerwizzer, Loaded Questions, Compatibility, Apples to Apples, Rummikub, Fluxx, Rummy, Skip-Bo and Skip-Bo golf and Bafflegab. As a kid, I loved The Game of Life.
    "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." ~ John 16:33

  16. #16
    Host Book, Movie & CE forums Ryan Scott's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Middletown, DE
    Posts
    7,414
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Board Games

    Stone Age is a good one for Catan fans. It's a different game, but similarly challenging strategy-wise - plus you can play with two, three, or four people without losing any of the quality.

    I used to play Catan online quite a bit (games.asobrain.com) - although it's called something different for copyright reasons (and you can move the robber before you roll, which is an improvement in my book). I love it because they build the board for you and feature other board layout options. I think they have a Cities and Knights version as well.

    In college, Jeremy Scott and I and several others used to play a crazy speed version of Monopoly - well, it was just the regular version, but we all knew it well enough that we could finish a 6 player game in about half an hour. It involved dealing the properties ahead of time and basically the next person rolling as soon as the dice from the last person hit the board and it would often take an entire round for all of the rent to be properly paid. You have to have a group you trust because it's hard to police cheating, but it was a ton of fun.

    We also had an ongoing risk tournament with seven of us for the month of January one year. You were awarded points based on the number of players in a game (the winner got 6 for a 6 player game, the second place 5; you got 4 points for winning a 4 player game).

    I love trivia and strategy games. Bezzerwizzer is a trivia game my brother introduced me to a few years back. It's got 16 different categories (so there's a better chance people know something) and moves pretty quickly (20 minute game, usually).

    I like Blokus for strategy games. It's a tetris-type game with geometric shapes that are played on the board, with four players working on the same board to get as many shapes out as possible before they run out room. I think you can play that one online as well.

    The old standbys are great - trivial pursuit, monopoly, rummikub, risk, scrabble.

    We played Axis and Allies a few times in college, but that game can take 8+ hours to finish, so it's not very practical. Once we had to stop playing so guys could go to their 8am classes, then resume afterwards (we had started that game just before midnight).

    My advice always is to spend time reading the instructions. I won a game of Axis and Allies one time on a technicality; there is a way to win the game without defeating the other side. No one else in the game even knew that option existed.
    ...just my $.02.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Jim Chabot's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Norton, MA Connor, ME
    Posts
    11,602
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Board Games

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Kibbe View Post
    With the Christmas holidays almost upon us, I am wondering, what board games do you and your family enjoy playing? Does your family play any "non-traditional" board games, and if so, which ones?

    My family engages in several intense games of Acquire every holiday season - a game of stock speculation and corporate merger. I'm curious, has anyone else played Acquire? Its the best board game I've ever come across. Below is a picture of the vintage and contemporary versions.


    Wow, I haven't seen that game since middle school! We played a series of games in Social Studies class as a primer on the stock market. I remember winning!

    We have the usual board games Stratego, Battleship, Monopoly, Life, Yahtzee, and Mille Bornes.

    As a boy I had a Carrom board, I saw one last night while we were looking around for present ideas. Thinking of getting one for the house in Maine.
    -Jim

    To know and to serve God, of course, is why we're here, a clear truth, that, like the nose on your face, is near at hand and easily discernible but can make you dizzy if you try to focus on it hard. But a little faith will see you through.

    Garrison Keillor

  18. #18
    Senior Member Susan Unger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    9,159
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Board Games

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Scott View Post
    Stone Age is a good one for Catan fans. It's a different game, but similarly challenging strategy-wise - plus you can play with two, three, or four people without losing any of the quality.

    I used to play Catan online quite a bit (games.asobrain.com) - although it's called something different for copyright reasons (and you can move the robber before you roll, which is an improvement in my book). I love it because they build the board for you and feature other board layout options. I think they have a Cities and Knights version as well.

    In college, Jeremy Scott and I and several others used to play a crazy speed version of Monopoly - well, it was just the regular version, but we all knew it well enough that we could finish a 6 player game in about half an hour. It involved dealing the properties ahead of time and basically the next person rolling as soon as the dice from the last person hit the board and it would often take an entire round for all of the rent to be properly paid. You have to have a group you trust because it's hard to police cheating, but it was a ton of fun.

    We also had an ongoing risk tournament with seven of us for the month of January one year. You were awarded points based on the number of players in a game (the winner got 6 for a 6 player game, the second place 5; you got 4 points for winning a 4 player game).

    I love trivia and strategy games. Bezzerwizzer is a trivia game my brother introduced me to a few years back. It's got 16 different categories (so there's a better chance people know something) and moves pretty quickly (20 minute game, usually).

    I like Blokus for strategy games. It's a tetris-type game with geometric shapes that are played on the board, with four players working on the same board to get as many shapes out as possible before they run out room. I think you can play that one online as well.

    The old standbys are great - trivial pursuit, monopoly, rummikub, risk, scrabble.

    We played Axis and Allies a few times in college, but that game can take 8+ hours to finish, so it's not very practical. Once we had to stop playing so guys could go to their 8am classes, then resume afterwards (we had started that game just before midnight).

    My advice always is to spend time reading the instructions. I won a game of Axis and Allies one time on a technicality; there is a way to win the game without defeating the other side. No one else in the game even knew that option existed.
    Now there's a thought...reading the directions...
    Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. 1 John 3:18

    There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. 1 John 4:18a


    Become an organ donor ~ donatelife.net ~ www.organdonor.gov
    Thanks Gina Stevenson - "thanks" for this post

  19. #19
    Senior Member Todd Erickson's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Conway, AR
    Posts
    2,577
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Board Games

    One game we've gotten into recently is Dominion, which involves buying cards to build a constantly recycling deck to buy victory cards to win. It's difficult to explain, but an awful lot of fun, and very addictive in the right groups. It has multiple expansions.

    I've been trying to get into small world, which sounds kind of like Risk crossed with munchkin.

    I have all but two of the Munchkin expansions...I don't have the cowboy or pirate expansions.

    We've been pondering Dixit.
    Thanks Michael Flowers - "thanks" for this post

  20. #20
    Host Theology Forum David Graham's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Toowoomba Region, Queensland Australia
    Posts
    4,499
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Board Games

    When we can, we play Monopoly, Cludo, Ludo, Chess & Draughts and..... not board games but various games of cards (Eucha, 500, Bridge and Hearts)

  21. #21
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Beaumont, CA
    Posts
    6,653
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Board Games

    My wife gets together frequently with several of her friends to play Mexican train dominoes (they just call it train). I tried it once and everyone, myself included, decided that I didn't have a long enough attention span. I'm easily diverted.
    Laughing Michael Flowers, Diane Likens - thanks for this funny post

  22. #22
    Host Fun & Prayer forums Marg Shurtliff's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ottawa , Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,890
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Board Games

    Quote Originally Posted by Shea Zellweger View Post
    Risk. We always play Risk. Original Risk, Lord of the Rings Risk, and absolutely NOT Star Wars Risk (if the Dark Side can survive the first 7 turns, it's pretty much guaranteed to win).
    Shea , (or Ryan or Lucas --they also mentioned Risk )
    I am a Pogo Club member and often get their premium albums of badges to work on . One was Family Night Games and I haven't been able to finish that one as the last remaining badge is Risk . For a Risk player I am certain it wouldn't be hard to do but for me , I just can't figure it out . Also think I 'm not willing to spend the hours trying to figure it out . I did try a couple times with no success . Would you or one of the others consider getting that badge for me ? You'll need my username and password . I talked to another player one time that her husband did her badge for her . Let me know and I'll PM you with the details . I really would appreciate this . Must have had this hanging a couple years now .

    I enjoy games but rarely get to play any . Rummykub, Skip-bo , Mexican train are some of my favourites but those aren't really board games . I play a number of board type games at Pogo .
    Marg

  23. #23
    Host Fun & Prayer forums Gina Stevenson's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    W Michigan
    Posts
    9,621
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Board Games

    Oooh, didn't know that, Marg. Haven't played board games IRL for ages, but do play Scrabble & Upwords over at Bug Cafe (that name difference thing mentioned earlier in place there, as they are BugWords & Towers, since one towers letters in Upwords). Sort of miss that, but then too miss the soft/cushy/armed wheely chairs we had to sit in in Phoenix, too. Gave too much away, but could not haul a bunch cross country, either. (could never sit in many types of chairs one finds otherwise, too ... such as the kitchen chairs here ... mostly find myself making something there, then eating here on the couch where I am now w/this tablet.

    Have also finally gotten caught by a couple of FB games, such as Words w/Friends, another "Scrabble" clone.

    At the Bug, aldo play chess, & their version of Battleship, BugBoats.
    Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one. ~ Stella Adler
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    It takes a great deal of maturity to accept that trying to eliminate all risk eliminates life. ~ Susan Lapin ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    His anger lasts only a moment, but His favor lasts a lifetime! Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning. Psalm 30:5 (NLT)

  24. #24
    Regular Member Larry Brincefield's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Board Games

    yes, I remember playing Acquire many, many times!! It was a lot of fun! I haven't seen the updated version, I'll have to check it out.

  25. #25
    Senior Member Jim Franklin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Boise, ID City of Trees
    Posts
    5,778
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Board Games

    The only ones mentioned so far that I have even heard of are Yahtzee, Monopoly and Rummikub. For me it is Scrabble. Don't Nazarenes play "Nazarene Poker"/Rook anymore? However I haven't played it since college and I never did get the hang of it. Any games involving cards were strictly verbotten in our parsonage home.

  26. #26
    Senior Member Jeremy D. Scott's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Hingham, Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    1,757
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Board Games

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Franklin View Post
    The only ones mentioned so far that I have even heard of are Yahtzee, Monopoly and Rummikub. For me it is Scrabble. Don't Nazarenes play "Nazarene Poker"/Rook anymore? However I haven't played it since college and I never did get the hang of it. Any games involving cards were strictly verbotten in our parsonage home.
    Yeah, Jim, the trend these days is to avoid and forbid playing Monopoly because it encourages evolutionary theory (survival of the fittest), capitalism, domination, and living off the poor.




  27. #27
    Host Book, Movie & CE forums Ryan Scott's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Middletown, DE
    Posts
    7,414
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Board Games

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy D. Scott View Post
    Yeah, Jim, the trend these days is to avoid and forbid playing Monopoly because it encourages evolutionary theory (survival of the fittest), capitalism, domination, and living off the poor.
    I was just thinking the other day that Monopoly epitomized jubilee. You go about your business and when one person ends up with everything, you just reset and start over.
    ...just my $.02.
    Thanks Susan Unger - "thanks" for this post
    Laughing Jeremy D. Scott - thanks for this funny post

  28. #28
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    KS
    Posts
    1,225
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Board Games

    Balderdash and Settlers of Catan (Seafarers Edition)and of course, the game of the 80's---Taboo.
    Thanks Jeremy D. Scott - "thanks" for this post

  29. #29
    Host Theology Forum David Graham's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Toowoomba Region, Queensland Australia
    Posts
    4,499
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Board Games

    Quote Originally Posted by Lorie Hatcliff View Post
    Balderdash and Settlers of Catan (Seafarers Edition)and of course, the game of the 80's---Taboo.
    Errr is Dungeons and Dragons okay?

  30. #30
    Senior Member Steven Burton's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    McKinney, Tx
    Posts
    3,007
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Board Games

    Quote Originally Posted by David Graham View Post
    Errr is Dungeons and Dragons okay?
    Well since it is based off Tolkien I think it should be ok. And besides it was released in 1977.
    "Means we use must be as pure as the ends we seek."
    Thanks David Graham - "thanks" for this post
    Laughing David Graham - thanks for this funny post

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts