+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dr. Carl Powers has passed away

Site Manager G R 'Scott' Cundiff's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Dr. Carl Powers has passed away

One of the really good guys who influenced my ministry in positive ways, Dr. Carl Powers, passed away last night in his sleep. Carl and Ginger have children and grandchildren serving in the ministry and they have impacted many people for Christ. They have lived in Killeen, TX the past few years.

They especially helped me in my prayer learning journey, something for which I'll always be deeply grateful.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dr. Carl Powers has passed away

So sorry to hear. Will be in prayer for the family. Thanks for the post.
    Thanks Glenn Messer - "thanks" for this post
    Praying Glenn Messer - praying concerning this post

Site Manager G R 'Scott' Cundiff's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dr. Carl Powers has passed away

More information:
    The funeral service for Rev. Carl Powers will be tomorrow (Thursday) at Killeen First Church of the Nazarene at 4:00 p.m.
    . . .

Carl Powers was born on April 4th, 1926 and His home coming was on February 5th, 2013. As a child he attended Port Arthur Grace and it became the home church for Carl, Wade his brother and their parents.

Carl attended Texas A&M university and served in the Army . He married Virginia Stumbaugh Powers daughter of a Nazarene evangelist and church planter on August 21st, 1947.

Feeling a call to ministry Carl and Virginia packed up and headed to Nashville where he attended and graduated from Trevecca Nazarene College.

Carl's roots led him back to Texas as he accepted his first church on the Houston District at Bay City. Carl served congregations as senior pastor at Memphis Grace and First Church in Columbia, Tennessee, Stillwater First Church, Cape Girardeau, Missouri First Church, Nashville Madison, Mastin Lake in Huntsville, Alabama, First Church in Vici, OK, and Cornerstone in Beaumont , Texas.

He served as an associate at Kingfisher, OK and Williams Memorial, Bethany, OK.
    Carl served in every capacity of the church on the district level. He once was appointed District Superintendent which he declined to continue serving the church at Stillwater. Carl pastored in the church of the Nazarene for 55 years.

He leaves behind a church legacy within his family: Son, Jack, is a pastor in McKinney; LeeAnn, his daughter, is married to Steve Vaughn pastoring The Woodlands Church; Matt Thompson, grandson, is an associate at Killeen; Lynnlee Moser, grand-daughter, is senior pastor at Beaumont Northpoint, Aaron Webster (former youth pastor at Living Word ) serves at Bentonville First as Minister to Youth and is married to granddaughter Karlee; Otis and Carol (daughter) have served as volunteer music director at Killeen for 27 years; and Randy King married to Jana (daughter) has served in several churches as music director in the Southern Baptist and Presbyterian denominations.

Carl was a great orator of the word, lover of life and servant to the Christ with whom he now resides. He will be greatly missed and cherished for his warm smile, countless hours of servant giving and follower of Christ.

Matthew 25:21 "His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!'

+ Reply to Thread