+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What did Roy Hibbert say?

Post Thanks / Like

What did Roy Hibbert say?

I've listened to the Hibbert press conference several times and I'm still trying to understand what and why he said what he said. He was talking about Labron driving to the basketball and letting his teammate down and then all of a sudden just says, "no homo." I don't know...the whole thing really didn't make sense to me. Perhaps, "no homo" is a phrase that hasn't made it to my part of the country yet. The whole things just seemed so random to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What did Roy Hibbert say?

Quote Originally Posted by David Snodgrass View Post
    I've listened to the Hibbert press conference several times and I'm still trying to understand what and why he said what he said. He was talking about Labron driving to the basketball and letting his teammate down and then all of a sudden just says, "no homo." I don't know...the whole thing really didn't make sense to me. Perhaps, "no homo" is a phrase that hasn't made it to my part of the country yet. The whole things just seemed so random to me.
    "No Homo" is a phrase used by the younger generation of males. It is used when praising another male in a way that could in any way be construed as romantic interest. One utters "no homo" to make clear they don't mean what was said in a sexual way.

So, for instance, if you showed up to my church on Sunday and I thought the pants you wore were extremely fashionale and looked good on you, if I were to use this phrase I would say, "Hey, David, where'd you get those pants? I really like them and they look great on you, no homo."
    - Ben

Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death! And to those in the tombs, bestowing life!
    Χριστὸς ἀνέστη ἐκ νεκρῶν, θανάτῳ θάνατον πατήσας! καὶ τοῖς ἐν τοῖς μνήμασι, ζωὴν χαρισάμενος!
    Thanks Nate Pruitt - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Burch View Post
    "No Homo" is a phrase used by the younger generation of males. It is used when praising another male in a way that could in any way be construed as romantic interest. One utters "no homo" to make clear they don't mean what was said in a sexual way.

So, for instance, if you showed up to my church on Sunday and I thought the pants you wore were extremely fashionale and looked good on you, if I were to use this phrase I would say, "Hey, David, where'd you get those pants? I really like them and they look great on you, no homo."
    This seems to fit under the umbrella of "establishing ground rules" in the work place. With regard to sexual harrasment and other similar subjects, a worker is within their rights to establish ground rules. If one worker asks another for a "date" (or whatever they ask these days), the worker who is asked is supposed to establish ground rule. "No, and don't ask again." would be an example. Under the current rules, it is acceptable for a person at work to establish that a sexual advance from a person of the same sex is unwelcome while one from the opposite sex might be acceptable. This is in no way bigotry, the individual worker has the right, in their workplace, to establish interactive ground rules with respect to their person. In this context, this was this persons work-space. "No homo" is a phrase understood by his fellow co-workers. This is not bigotry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Henderson View Post
    This seems to fit under the umbrella of "establishing ground rules" in the work place. With regard to sexual harrasment and other similar subjects, a worker is within their rights to establish ground rules. If one worker asks another for a "date" (or whatever they ask these days), the worker who is asked is supposed to establish ground rule. "No, and don't ask again." would be an example. Under the current rules, it is acceptable for a person at work to establish that a sexual advance from a person of the same sex is unwelcome while one from the opposite sex might be acceptable. This is in no way bigotry, the individual worker has the right, in their workplace, to establish interactive ground rules with respect to their person. In this context, this was this persons work-space. "No homo" is a phrase understood by his fellow co-workers. This is not bigotry.
    This is a nice spin attempt, but no. What Hibbert said had nothing to do with what you've said here. You might be able to apply it in such a way, but if intent means anything, you couldn't be further from the truth.
    - Ben

Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death! And to those in the tombs, bestowing life!
    Χριστὸς ἀνέστη ἐκ νεκρῶν, θανάτῳ θάνατον πατήσας! καὶ τοῖς ἐν τοῖς μνήμασι, ζωὴν χαρισάμενος!

Post Thanks / Like

This is a nice spin attempt, but no. What Hibbert said had nothing to do with what you've said here. You might be able to apply it in such a way, but if intent means anything, you couldn't be further from the truth.
    It doesn't matter what either of us think, it is a well established legal position that has been tested, repeatedly, in the courts. My purpose was to inform, not debate (at least here, my purpose is not always such). That he was "judged" by popular opinion is irrelevant, he broke no laws.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Henderson View Post
    It doesn't matter what either of us think, it is a well established legal position that has been tested, repeatedly, in the courts. My purpose was to inform, not debate (at least here, my purpose is not always such). That he was "judged" by popular opinion is irrelevant, he broke no laws.
    I know of no one who is suggesting he broke any laws. If what he said could actually pass as "laying ground rules", the reality is that he chose language which his employer deemed unacceptable.
    - Ben

Thanks Nate Pruitt - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I know of no one who is suggesting he broke any laws. If what he said could actually pass as "laying ground rules", the reality is that he chose language which his employer deemed unacceptable.
    That is also true.

Post Thanks / Like

It shouldn't be overlooked that he also referred to the media as mother******* in that same press conference. So clearly he was on a roll and had little to no regard for the audience his words would reach. And his team won. He was in a good mood. Good grief.
    Seeking to participate in the recreation of that which was called "good" and is being renewed. natepruitt.com My author page on Amazon.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the clarification. I actually spent some time this morning researching it. I mean literally didn't understand what he said and then when ESPN plays it back they "bleep" it out entire phrase so it was even hard to get the context of what he was saying. When someone says "MF" on TV you know what they say because you hear the "mother" part before it is censored.

Host Book, Movie & CE forums Ryan Scott's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

I guess one could argue that feeling the need to separate one's self from being thought a homosexual is in some way derogatory, but it just seems like the whole thing is childish and stupid. I don't see what's offensive about it - other than the fact someone who would use that phrase is making millions of dollars - that's pretty offensive to me.

Are we saying that the word "homo" is derogatory? I guess that could be it. That didn't even cross my mind, since it's no longer 1995.
    ...just my $.02.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Scott View Post
    I guess one could argue that feeling the need to separate one's self from being thought a homosexual is in some way derogatory, but it just seems like the whole thing is childish and stupid. I don't see what's offensive about it - other than the fact someone who would use that phrase is making millions of dollars - that's pretty offensive to me.

Are we saying that the word "homo" is derogatory? I guess that could be it. That didn't even cross my mind, since it's no longer 1995.
    Yes. That is the ruling here.
    - Ben

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to get even more explicit, but the exact context was the immediately previous statement. Hibbert was talking about his defensive position, unable to help Paul George guard Lebron. He said that as Lebron went past him, he reached for James, and he "really had me stretched out. No homo."
    "Fully embracing the Gospel, fully engaging the world"

+ Reply to Thread