+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jehu and Jezreel

Host Book, Movie & CE forums Ryan Scott's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Jehu and Jezreel

I'm double posting this from the lectionary board to get more feedback, but I'm struggling with how to view the events of Jehu at Jezreel.

2 Kings 9-10 explain the massacre of Ahab and Jezebel and their line and associates by Jehu - supposedly on order from Elisha and, thusly, God. In Hosea 1, punishment is pronounced on the line of Jehu for those very same atrocities.

There's tons of conversation to be had here about whether the things God commands in scripture are really from God or justified that way afterwards, about justice and violence and peace and many more. One of the most troubling for me, as I process, is that Hosea and Kings both come from the same Deuteronomic tradition, so it makes very little sense they'd be contradicting each other.

One commentary said Jehu did the right thing, but he went too far - which is a pretty standard view of a lot of OT violence. I'm not sure I totally buy that in specific. I think it's a fine explanation of human behavior, but it's a bit of a cop out when applied to any individual situation, especially this one.

I was hoping to elicit some thoughts from others.
    ...just my $.02.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jehu and Jezreel

From a Jewish perspective, the sin of Jehu was hyposcrisy and idolatry because of his idolatrous worship subsequent to him terminating the House of Ahab for the sin of idolatry (Phoenician Baal worship). Therefore there would not be any contradiction as the Hosea passage references his behavior after the termination of the House of Ahab.

Hoshea 1:4 "And the Lord said to him: Name him Jezreel, for, in a short time, I will visit the blood of Jezreel upon the house of Jehu, and I will terminate the kingdom of the house of Israel."

Rashi Commentary -
    Name him Jezreel: Jonathan renders: Call their name the scattered ones. I.e. prophesy over them that they will be exiled, and they will be sown among the peoples.

the blood of Jezreel: To be understood according to its Aramaic translation: the blood of the house of Ahab, whom Jehu slew in Jezreel because they worshipped Baal, and he (Jehu) and his sons went afterwards and worshipped pagan deities; therefore, I account for them the blood of the house of Ahab as innocent blood.

upon the house of Jehu: Jeroboam the son of Joash was of the sons of Jehu, and his son Zechariah was assassinated.
    "I'll give you a full life in the emptiest of places...You'll use the old rubble of past lives to build anew... You'll be known as those who can fix anything, restore old ruins, rebuild and renovate, make the community livable again." Isaiah 58:11-12 (THE MESSAGE)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvhP_xORvgE new for 2014!
    Thanks Susan Unger, Steve Malcolm - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia Prentice View Post
    From a Jewish perspective, the sin of Jehu was hyposcrisy and idolatry because of his idolatrous worship subsequent to him terminating the House of Ahab for the sin of idolatry (Phoenician Baal worship). Therefore there would not be any contradiction as the Hosea passage references his behavior after the termination of the House of Ahab.

Hoshea 1:4 "And the Lord said to him: Name him Jezreel, for, in a short time, I will visit the blood of Jezreel upon the house of Jehu, and I will terminate the kingdom of the house of Israel."

Rashi Commentary -
    Name him Jezreel: Jonathan renders: Call their name the scattered ones. I.e. prophesy over them that they will be exiled, and they will be sown among the peoples.

the blood of Jezreel: To be understood according to its Aramaic translation: the blood of the house of Ahab, whom Jehu slew in Jezreel because they worshipped Baal, and he (Jehu) and his sons went afterwards and worshipped pagan deities; therefore, I account for them the blood of the house of Ahab as innocent blood.

upon the house of Jehu: Jeroboam the son of Joash was of the sons of Jehu, and his son Zechariah was assassinated.
    From my Hebrew Prof filling the pulpit. (Hosea) is the primary text.

The Day of Jezreel

"Preach the gospel; if necessary use words" is like saying "feed the poor and; if necessary use food."

Host Book, Movie & CE forums Ryan Scott's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia Prentice View Post
    That's an easy work around - and it's certainly true, but it doesn't address the text directly. I don't dispute the reasoning begin the commentary, but it doesn't hold weight with me. Too much of a cop out. Thanks for the input, though, I doubt I would have found those sources any other way.
    ...just my $.02.

+ Reply to Thread