+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Oh when the Nazarenes walk down the street..."

Host Gen. Disc. Forum David Pettigrew's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

"Oh when the Nazarenes walk down the street..."

The church name discussion made me remember this little jingle we used to sing at church camp or some place, but for the life of me I can't remember the rest of the words. Something about a "smile...and winning way". Does anyone have a clue what I'm talking about?

The other "Nazarene-proud" song I remember is "We are Nazarene caravans we are a happy band Nazarene caravans...."

Post Thanks / Like

Re: "Oh when the Nazarenes walk down the street..."

I stand amazed....
    Without education we are in a horrible and deadly danger of taking educated people seriously. - Gilbert K. Chesterson

Post Thanks / Like

This may be an appropriate time and place for the story my grandmother used to tell, when she found out I had decided to attend a "Nazarene" college, instead of Princeton.

Her father was a lawyer and judge in Baltimore, and his law office was across the street from the original Baltimore First Church of the Nazarene. He would be in the office on Sunday evenings and Wednesday evenings, back in the days before air conditioning. The windows in his office would be open, as would the windows of the church. My grandmother, who would occasionally go to his office, remembered hearing the music and the shouting.

I believe "crazy Holy Rollers" was the expression she remembered hearing from her staid, Presbyterian father. If he knew a bit more church history, he might have used the words the Anglicans used to accuse the Wesleys and their followers: "overcome with wild enthusiasm"
    Last edited by Mike Schutz; July 10th, 2013 at 08:18 PM.
    "Fully embracing the Gospel, fully engaging the world"
    Thanks David Pettigrew, Susan Unger, Dennis M. Scott - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't "Holy Roller" assigned to the Pasadena crowd first?
    Without education we are in a horrible and deadly danger of taking educated people seriously. - Gilbert K. Chesterson
    Thanks Dennis M. Scott - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

:Holy Rollers' goes much further back than Pasadena. It is traced clear back to frontier camp meetings west of Virginia.

Host Fun & Prayer forums Gina Stevenson's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Henderson View Post
    I stand amazed....
    Is this what you mean? (since it's sometimes known as "our theme song," with the Naz name therein:

Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one. ~ Stella Adler
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    It takes a great deal of maturity to accept that trying to eliminate all risk eliminates life. ~ Susan Lapin ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    His anger lasts only a moment, but His favor lasts a lifetime! Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning. Psalm 30:5 (NLT)

+ Reply to Thread