+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dialect Quiz

Post Thanks / Like

Dialect Quiz

I thought this was interesting - Dialect Quiz. It says I sound most like someone from the state of Washington. Hmmm.... But it also says that I sound like someone from Upstate New York and North Central Pennsylvania. That sounds more like it. It also says that I talk the least like someone from Louisiana.

What does it say about you?
    Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. 1 John 3:18

There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. 1 John 4:18a

Become an organ donor ~ donatelife.net ~ www.organdonor.gov
    Thanks Peggy Gray, Jim Chabot, Greg Gates - "thanks" for this post

Host Book, Movie & CE forums Ryan Scott's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dialect Quiz

I got Sacramento, a place I've never been, but I only had 55% match.
    ...just my $.02.
    Thanks Susan Unger - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Definately Southern for me. Ya'll
    Without education we are in a horrible and deadly danger of taking educated people seriously. - Gilbert K. Chesterson

Post Thanks / Like

Ft. Collins, CO 57.3%
    "Love without holiness disintegrates into sentimentality. Personal integrity is lost. But holiness without love is not holiness at all. In spite of its label, it displays harshness, judgmentalism, a critical spirit, and all its capacity for discrimination end in nit-picking and divisiveness."-Mildred Bangs Wynkoop

Post Thanks / Like

I got southeastern Massachusetts. Why I'm shocked I tell you!
    -Jim

To know and to serve God, of course, is why we're here, a clear truth, that, like the nose on your face, is near at hand and easily discernible but can make you dizzy if you try to focus on it hard. But a little faith will see you through.

Garrison Keillor
    Laughing Susan Unger - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

It rated me as Livonia MI, but then the map shows a narrow sliver following along the Great Lakes eastward towards Buffalo. I grew up in Clymer NY (SE NY) near Lake Erie and so it was pretty accurate for me.
    Loving God . . . Loving others.

Post Thanks / Like

I took the 140 question (I'm a glutton for punishment). Most like Kansas area - least like New England. Have lived all my life in OH. Edited to add but the match was only around 47%

Alisa

Host Book, Movie & CE forums Ryan Scott's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

I took the 140 question version. I got 49% for both San Mateo, CA and Madison, WI. Two places I've also never been.

Strangely, by least likely match was a 44%, so I'm pretty mainstream. The worst two were New York, NY and Tuscaloosa, AL.

Odd. I think the fact that I've lived in 10 states has probably confused my vocabulary a bit.
    ...just my $.02.
    Thanks Susan Unger, Stephanie Malcolm, Gina Stevenson - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Bemis View Post
    It rated me as Livonia MI, but then the map shows a narrow sliver following along the Great Lakes eastward towards Buffalo. I grew up in Clymer NY (SE NY) near Lake Erie and so it was pretty accurate for me.
    Yes, this is similar to me. I have only been to the state of WA once yet it says I sound the most like them. Seriously? But I also notice on the map that the dark red area covers north central PA and upstate NY [where I grew up] with the darkest area being near Watertown, NY. That makes better sense.
    Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. 1 John 3:18

There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. 1 John 4:18a

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! It says I'm most similar to Lynn, MA (48.3)! That's where my birth mother was born and raised. I guess I picked up more of my language from her than I'd thought -- considering she was mostly out of my life by the time I was 7 or 8 years old! That's really interesting to me.

There's a yellowish to orangish area in central Michigan, which is close to where I spent most of my "getting tall" years. Then the same colors along west central Florida, where I started growing up in my late 20's.

But Lynn, MA. That's astounding!
    Wherever I am, God is, and all is well.

Senior Member Valisha Trammell Hall's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

My result was Norman, Oklahoma...very close. Boomer Sooner!!!

Post Thanks / Like

When I finally got past all the traffic this thread has sent to the site, it suggested I am from Texas. But the map showed a similar color for parts of Indiana, although not for either the part where I spent my first 21 years nor where I have lived for the past 34.

I actually did the 25-question quiz twice. The first time I was interrupted on the last question and it didn't process through when I came back to it. The second time maybe half the questions were different from the first.

It was interesting to notice which words took me back to my place of origin:

Northern Indiana has:
    drinking fountains
    crans (crayons)
    carmels (caramels)
    day-ta (data)

Southern Indiana has:
    water fountains
    cray-ons (crayons)
    cair-a-mels (caramels)
    dat-ta (data)

I have said more than once that the only deliberate adjustment I did to my speech after moving to southern Indiana was to drop "Loo-ey-ville" in favor of "Lua-vǝhl" (Louisville). I figured the natives should be able to make the call on that one. I didn't so much notice when I exchanged cran for crayon, ornj for o-ranj (orange) and carmel for caramel in order to be understood and not have the sound of my words strike people as more interesting than what I was saying.

My son-in-law reports that he has been asked multiple times where my daughter is from. They grew up in the same school and, other than the college years, lived just two miles apart up to when they set up housekeeping together, but people think she's from elsewhere. I suppose that's partly my northern Indiana influence and maybe even a little of my mother's Michigan influence on my own speech.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Dialect.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	5587  
    "Pacifism does not mean doing nothing. It means waging peace." - John Watson http://feedly.com/e/s2B2hnZT
    personal blog: www.marshalyn.blogspot.com Sunday School blog: www.ocnya.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Likens View Post
    Wow! It says I'm most similar to Lynn, MA (48.3)! That's where my birth mother was born and raised. I guess I picked up more of my language from her than I'd thought -- considering she was mostly out of my life by the time I was 7 or 8 years old! That's really interesting to me.
    Both my parents are Midwesterners so I was wondering how much I would pick of their accent. But I only showed a light pink section for Indiana and Illinois.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marsha Lynn View Post
    When I finally got past all the traffic this thread has sent to the site, it suggested I am from Texas. But the map showed a similar color for parts of Indiana, although not for either the part where I spent my first 21 years nor where I have lived for the past 34.

I actually did the 25-question quiz twice. The first time I was interrupted on the last question and it didn't process through when I came back to it. The second time maybe half the questions were different from the first.

It was interesting to notice which words took me back to my place of origin:

Northern Indiana has:
    drinking fountains
    crans (crayons)
    carmels (caramels)
    day-ta (data)

Southern Indiana has:
    water fountains
    cray-ons (crayons)
    cair-a-mels (caramels)
    dat-ta (data)

I have said more than once that the only deliberate adjustment I did to my speech after moving to southern Indiana was to drop "Loo-ey-ville" in favor of "Lua-vǝhl" (Louisville). I figured the natives should be able to make the call on that one. I didn't so much notice when I exchanged cran for crayon, ornj for o-ranj (orange) and carmel for caramel in order to be understood and not have the sound of my words strike people as more interesting than what I was saying.

My son-in-law reports that he has been asked multiple times where my daughter is from. They grew up in the same school and, other than the college years, lived just two miles apart up to when they set up housekeeping together, but people think she's from elsewhere. I suppose that's partly my northern Indiana influence and maybe even a little of my mother's Michigan influence on my own speech.
    I didn't realize the questions would change. As I was telling Diane, I wondered if I would pick of any of my mom's northern Indiana or my dad's St Louis accent but sadly, not as much as I would have liked.

Post Thanks / Like

Huh...That was intresting. I took the short version, because the long one kept saying the server was overloaded. I was a military brat from the time I was born till 10, then lived in Tennessee till I was 21. My mom's family is from Indiana and my dad's from Maine.

Here are my top 5 Similar cities:

1. Kent, WA 52.8
    2. Tacoma, WA 52.7
    3. Redding, CA 52.5
    4. Long Beach, CA 52.2
    5. Fontana, CA 52.1

Least like:
    1. Allentown, PA 39.8
    2. Reading, PA 40
    3. Trenton, NJ 40.1
    4. Philadelphia, PA 40.3
    5. Hamilton, NJ 40.7

Post Thanks / Like

Baltimore, MD - where I was born and raised - was my closest match. All of my top five were in the Mid-Atlantic.

My least were all in the Mountain West.

Surprisingly, none of my top matches were from New England, where I lived for 27 years.
    "Fully embracing the Gospel, fully engaging the world"

Host Photography Forum Dana Grant's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

TOP 5 MOST SIMILAR:
    1 Saint Louis MO 41.0
    2 Kansas City MO 40.0
    3 O'Fallon MO 40.0
    4 Providence RI 39.8
    5 Fall River MA 39.6

TOP 5 LEAST SIMILAR
    1 Ann Arbor MI 27.8
    2 Denton TX 28.5
    3 Irving TX 28.6
    4 Frisco TX 28.8
    5 Plano TX 29.0

Interesting -- since I was raised in West Virginia during my childhood, but moved to Arizona when I was 20.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Malcolm View Post

Least like:
    1. Allentown, PA 39.8
    2. Reading, PA 40
    3. Trenton, NJ 40.1
    4. Philadelphia, PA 40.3
    5. Hamilton, NJ 40.7
    So if you and I were to ever met in person, I am guaranteed that you will not sound like me.

Laughing Stephanie Malcolm - thanks for this funny post

Site Manager G R 'Scott' Cundiff's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Click image for larger version

Name:	map.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	5593

I'm impressed. I took the test and it shows my dialect almost exactly where I was raised.

Post Thanks / Like

It says that my top 5 are all in Washington State, a place I've never lived. Except for 15 months, however, when I lived in Washington DC, I have spent all of my life in what is generally considered the Northwest- grew up in Alaska, went to college in Oregon and Idaho (woohoo NNU!), spent 9 years of ministry in Colorado, and have lived in Oregon since 1995. Maybe Alaska and Colorado averaged out to Washington?

Bottom 5 were in CT and MA.

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't surprised by the results; I have lived in Vermont/New Hampshire for all but a couple of years. Except for about five years (mostly Navy years) my dad lived in VT/NH his entire life. My Mom was from the Cleveland area, right at the "tip" of my red area.

My most similar cities are all between 52.9-53.5: Albany NY, and Waterbury, New Haven, Bridgeport and Danbury CT. One question/answer would have changed that, I think. In my life, when people say they're going "to the city" for the weekend, they mean NYC. When they're going to Boston, they saying they're going "to Boston". Nobody around here calls Boston "the city", though it's way closer than NYC.

Click image for larger version

Name:	long survey.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	5594

Host Fun & Prayer forums Gina Stevenson's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Susan, perhaps Washington got tossed in there b/c they've a similar-to-the-Midwest sound? You see, it pegged me as both Michigan & Washington, too. Then I did notice, after you mentioned your outcome, that Eastern PA had a similar color to parts of Michigan, so perhaps they're enough alike that either MI or PA will match up with WA, tho' one's never been/lived there. Ya think?
    Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one. ~ Stella Adler
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    It takes a great deal of maturity to accept that trying to eliminate all risk eliminates life. ~ Susan Lapin ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    His anger lasts only a moment, but His favor lasts a lifetime! Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning. Psalm 30:5 (NLT)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gina Stevenson View Post
    Susan, perhaps Washington got tossed in there b/c they've a similar-to-the-Midwest sound? You see, it pegged me as both Michigan & Washington, too. Then I did notice, after you mentioned your outcome, that Eastern PA had a similar color to parts of Michigan, so perhaps they're enough alike that either MI or PA will match up with WA, tho' one's never been/lived there. Ya think?
    It's the only thing I can think of.

Post Thanks / Like

Survey says I am from Cedar Rapids, IA or SOuth Bend, IN. I am right between those two, so I am good. I am least like Louisiana, which is a relief.
    On second thought, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place.
    Laughing Susan Unger - thanks for this funny post

Host Theology Forum Dennis M. Scott's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

My top five similar were all places I've never lived, and my least similar were places I've lived for 30 years. Two of those were only six to ten miles away. I guess that proves I don't know how to take tests.
    Laughing Stephanie Malcolm - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis M. Scott View Post
    My top five similar were all places I've never lived, and my least similar were places I've lived for 30 years. Two of those were only six to ten miles away. I guess that proves I don't know how to take tests.
    Maybe you don't listen to yourself talk enough.
    "Pacifism does not mean doing nothing. It means waging peace." - John Watson http://feedly.com/e/s2B2hnZT
    personal blog: www.marshalyn.blogspot.com Sunday School blog: www.ocnya.blogspot.com
    Laughing Susan Unger, Peggy Gray, Jim Chabot, Stephanie Malcolm - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

Servers are overloaded. Thanks guys.
    - Ben

Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death! And to those in the tombs, bestowing life!
    Χριστὸς ἀνέστη ἐκ νεκρῶν, θανάτῳ θάνατον πατήσας! καὶ τοῖς ἐν τοῖς μνήμασι, ζωὴν χαρισάμενος!

Post Thanks / Like

Here was the results in my case:

Most Similar Cities

d Rapids MI 55.4
    2 Livonia MI 54.6\
    3 Detroit MI 54.4
    4 Kent WA 54.4\
    5 Yakima WA 54.3

Least Similar Cities

1 Denton TX 40.1
    2 Frisco TX 40.4
    3 Fort Smith AR 40.5
    4 McKinney TX 40.9
    5 Irving TX 41.1

Tho't it very funny, listing Grand Rapids, MI at the top ... it was just next door (Wyoming) where I grew up.
    Wonder where the "Detroit" came in ... what's different from GR, when it's all Michigan? Hmmmmmm .........

Funny, one of the least was Irving, TX ... where I was for a very short while before the Houston area. Guess I didn't stay long enough to pick up a lot of their habits/words/accents, eh?

(BTW, they had MacKinney, TX ... tho't there was no "a" in there, so changed it; which is right?)
    Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one. ~ Stella Adler
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    It takes a great deal of maturity to accept that trying to eliminate all risk eliminates life. ~ Susan Lapin ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    His anger lasts only a moment, but His favor lasts a lifetime! Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning. Psalm 30:5 (NLT)

Post Thanks / Like

Well, looks like my parents beat out the locals, although not too bad.

http://spark.rstudio.com/jkatz/diale.../downloadImage

I am most similar to, surprise surprise, California. So, my papa done well. Most of my southernisms didn't affect the outcome, other than that Northern Va is a little red on my map, which makes sense.
    - Ben

Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death! And to those in the tombs, bestowing life!
    Χριστὸς ἀνέστη ἐκ νεκρῶν, θανάτῳ θάνατον πατήσας! καὶ τοῖς ἐν τοῖς μνήμασι, ζωὴν χαρισάμενος!

Post Thanks / Like

I took the 25 point quiz only because the 140 would not open for me. My five locals were Lincoln, NE, Omaha, Everett, WA.,Sioux City and Seattle. Linguistics Geography has been interesting to me. My mother was born in Omaha and lived in Iowa just north of there and my father spent much of his childhood in the Sioux City area.

I remember when teaching 4th grade in Washington state in the 60s a youngster new to the area pronounced boil as ball so I asked him what his dad put in his tractors crank case and he said "all." I then asked him where he had lived previously and he said Texas. Later when I was on the faculty of SNU I had the opportunity to attend the annual conference of the Association of American Geographers in Houston over Thanksgiving weekend and had some time to see the Oilers and Charger play and sure enough those Texans were cheering for the "Allers."
    Laughing Gina Stevenson, Dennis M. Scott - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

When I was a young teenager about 50 years ago (!!!!!!!), I saw a man on a TV show who could pick someone at random from the audience, have him/her read a few sentences or answer a few questions, and state, "You were raised in the Maryland/Delaware area, but spent a few years in Western North Carolina, and I also hear some eastern Massachusetts."

I was glued to the TV. I can still remember how I felt, almost breathless, thinking, "THAT's what I want to do!" Dialect has fascinated me ever since.

Mom grew up in the Cleveland area, and we used to joke that she had no accent whatsoever--every word "right out of the dictionary". No peculiar expressions. Yet one time following a revival service, I asked the evangelist's wife if she happened to be from Ohio. She answered, "Yes, near Cleveland, why do you ask?" I told her she sounded just like my mother and my uncles. I don't know if it was word choice (soda vs. pop, or whatever) or accent.

I'm puzzled about why some people pick up (and never lose) local accent/dialect after only living in an area a couple of years, and some don't? My brother has lived in North Carolina for decades, and I only have to be around him for a couple of days and I'm saying, "Do what now? Have y'all got tom to carry me to the store?" Grrrr. I've wondered how it would change my dialect similarity map if I lived in NC a couple of years (God forbid)?

Host Theology Forum Dennis M. Scott's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy Gray View Post
    I've wondered how it would change my dialect similarity map if I lived in NC a couple of years (God forbid)?
    You're right. People in NC don't deserve you to live there.
    Laughing Peggy Gray, Gina Stevenson - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy Gray View Post
    When I was a young teenager about 50 years ago (!!!!!!!), I saw a man on a TV show who could pick someone at random from the audience, have him/her read a few sentences or answer a few questions, and state, "You were raised in the Maryland/Delaware area, but spent a few years in Western North Carolina, and I also hear some eastern Massachusetts."

I was glued to the TV. I can still remember how I felt, almost breathless, thinking, "THAT's what I want to do!" Dialect has fascinated me ever since.

Mom grew up in the Cleveland area, and we used to joke that she had no accent whatsoever--every word "right out of the dictionary". No peculiar expressions. Yet one time following a revival service, I asked the evangelist's wife if she happened to be from Ohio. She answered, "Yes, near Cleveland, why do you ask?" I told her she sounded just like my mother and my uncles. I don't know if it was word choice (soda vs. pop, or whatever) or accent.

I'm puzzled about why some people pick up (and never lose) local accent/dialect after only living in an area a couple of years, and some don't? My brother has lived in North Carolina for decades, and I only have to be around him for a couple of days and I'm saying, "Do what now? Have y'all got tom to carry me to the store?" Grrrr. I've wondered how it would change my dialect similarity map if I lived in NC a couple of years (God forbid)?
    Sounds like the movie My Fair Lady. Henry Higgins could do that - My Fair Lady

Thanks Gina Stevenson - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Unger View Post
    Sounds like the movie My Fair Lady. Henry Higgins could do that - My Fair Lady
    Just yu wayt 'enry 'iggins, just yu wayt ....
    Without education we are in a horrible and deadly danger of taking educated people seriously. - Gilbert K. Chesterson
    Laughing Susan Unger, Gina Stevenson, Dennis M. Scott - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty cool test. The top two cities were Tacoma and Everett, Washington. I lived in Oak Harbor, WA until I was nine and Bremerton from 13 to 15. The next highest three are in Central California, which even though I didn't live there makes sense because there is a lot of interregional migration between there and the Northwest. All the regions where my parents and grand parents lived show some warmth as well as pretty much everywhere I lived as a kid. I din't pick up as much as I thought I would have from my time in the south though, particularly Georgia/South Carolina. I think "moonshine" was what gave me the high mark in north central Kentucky.

All my least common cities were in New England. The only real time I spent there is two months at Ft. Devins when I attended an Army course there in 1992.

Attachment 5596

Post Thanks / Like

I found my results to be very interesting. I was born in central Missouri, the Columbia area, and I moved to central Wyoming when I was 7. I lived there the vast majority of my life, with the exception of a couple of years in Nampa for college and a couple of years in Denver right after that. I am now 34 years old and have been living in western Montana for just shy of four years.

I've never been too big on forcing my words and pronunciations on other people. I couldn't care less how a person says "creek", "potato", etc. When I hear a word or phrase that I like, it becomes a part of my regular usage. For example, most people in Wyoming and Montana use the word "pop" for the carbonated beverage, but I like the word "soda" better. When I went to Australia for a couple of weeks 13 years ago, I loved the phrase "No worries!", so I use it very frequently, too. I also love the word "y'all", so I use that a lot, even though I've never lived in (or hardly ever even been to) the south.

So with that in mind . . .

Most Similar:

Lawrence KS, 48.1
    Columbia MO, 47.1
    Topeka KS, 47.8
    Independence MO, 47.7
    Springfield MO, 47.6

Least Similar:

Elizabeth NJ, 38.8
    Lynn MA, 38.9
    Providence RI, 38.9
    Fall River, MA, 39.0
    Lowell MA, 39.1

Oh, and I should add that since moving from Missouri at age 7, I have spent absolutely no time in the midwest, other than driving across it. So I haven't been there visiting family or anything. (Actually, that's not completely true. Most of my father's family comes from eastern Nebraska, so I've been in that area a little bit, but not much, and definitely not Kansas or Missouri.

If I speak God’s Word with power, revealing all his mysteries and making everything plain as day, and if I have faith that says to a mountain, “Jump,” and it jumps, but I don’t love, I’m nothing.
    Paul, 1 Corinthians 13:2

So when the gospel is diminished to a question of whether or not a person will “get into heaven,” that reduces the good news to a ticket, a way to get past the bouncer and into the club. The good news is better than that.
    Rob Bell, Love Wins

Post Thanks / Like

What's strange is how one can pick up an accent unwittingly for awhile, and then lose it, after being away from it for a good while again rather than its just being added to what they already have.

For instance, when I was back here in MI during Christmas break, first year in college, they kept telling me, "STOP talking like that!" Huh? I was talking normal as far as I knew. "No, you aren't! STOP TALKING FUNNY!!" Well, I'd been listening for those few months to a chatterbox roommate (so I heard the accent a lot, LOL) from southern IN, right across from Louisville, KY, & she sounded pretty much like Louisville. Picked some of it up w/o trying, or even knowing it.

But now, after having lived in TX just a bit (less than a year), then southern California 3.5 yrs, Arizona 7.5 years, having been back here in MI for too long (11 yrs!!), it pegs me as "Grand Rapids, MI." Funny .........
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Post Thanks / Like

I have read that language is determined primarily by your peers during your childhood. So it is not surprising to see long ago childhood regions being so influential.
    On second thought, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place.
    Thanks Susan Unger, Gina Stevenson, Dennis M. Scott - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

It appears parentage has a significant impact as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Seattle and Washington state are prominent in this survey because a lot that population came from the Central States.

+ Reply to Thread