+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replacing pews with chairs

Post Thanks / Like

Replacing pews with chairs

Our church has had pews in the sanctuary for more than 50 yrs. No padding!

We can see several advantages to replacing them with good chairs: flexibility, a better fit in the sanctuary (our current pews leave a very small aisle next to the exposed arches) and as we can sell the pews for something (to be determined) the net cost is reasonable.

However, once we get rid of the pews there is no going back. Also, there is some obvious discomfort with changing pews out (they are in nice condition and our church looks like a church, we've always had pews, Jesus sat in a pew, etc). Most importantly, little kids will no longer be able to slide from one end to the other nor will they be able to crawl from back to front of the sanctuary without detection.

What should we be looking for in chairs? Have you noticed anything in your travels that are particularly disadvantageous to chairs? eg are most of them broken after a few years? One thing I noticed is that church chairs are fairly inexpensive (~50/chair or less). At previous times when I have checked they were over $100/chair.

Thanks for any help or suggestions...

Doug K.
    Thanks Marsha Lynn - "thanks" for this post

Site Manager G R 'Scott' Cundiff's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Replacing pews with chairs

We changed them out in Alvin and our folks never looked back. We really like the chairs.

When we changed them, we talked about being able to rearrange them and that really came in handy last Christmas. We did a musical/drama in which the actors needed the platform. We were able to move the choir down to the floor level by simply moving some chairs around to face the congregation. It worked great.

A negative is that if you have carpeting the chairs will be a lot harder on the carpet than the pews. After just a few weeks of use if you pick up a chair it leaves it's marks on the carpet.

I'd say the more modern feel is a plus in our society - outsiders who we bring to church are more interested in comfort than they are with a "churchy feeling" sanctuary.

Post Thanks / Like

Praying you guys find the right chairs. I prefer pews to chairs for many of the same reasons that you listed. Our church at Houston Southwest had chairs and the kids did some of the things you mentioned....the biggest problem was that they were knocking the chairs around and we were constantly straightening them. I have a very clear recollection of two little boys running their bat mobile back and forth across the last row of chairs. When my children were young I preferred pews because it was easier to lay them down when they were asleep and also it seemed their restlessness was just a bit more hidden.
    "I'll give you a full life in the emptiest of places...You'll use the old rubble of past lives to build anew... You'll be known as those who can fix anything, restore old ruins, rebuild and renovate, make the community livable again." Isaiah 58:11-12 (THE MESSAGE)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmN6qvJe4eU new for 2013
    Thanks Doug Kitchen - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

We changed out the pews for chairs and it really changed the look and functionality. One benefit that we have found is that during times when our numbers are down we can pull out chairs and spread them out a little bit so that it doesn't feel so empty. Then in the fall we start adding them back in. It also now gives us another room where we can add in tables and have meetings.
    Thanks Doug Kitchen, Cynthia Prentice - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Another advantage to chairs is that you can usually increase both your actual seating capacity and effective capacity. More chairs will fit than will conventional pews and chairs bring definition to seating. Each person gets one chair, not 1 1/2 or 2 as inevitably happens in a setting with pews.

Churches have had chairs for years and they still look like churches. The black chairs in the upper balcony here are old enough that they have wire holders under the seats to hold the gentlemen's hats.

The ladies, of course, would keep their hats on back in the day.

And let me agree with Kyle as well. We are involved with a summer concert program that is held at a nearby AOG church. They have seating arranged for roughly 200 during normal services. Their attendance is roughly 150-175 so they achieve an almost full look to the sanctuary. When we hold a concert event there, the seats are re arranged with chairs added to bring the seating capacity to 300.

I found this picture showing the lower capacity seating arrangement with wide aisles and plenty of legroom, just like first class.

-Jim

To know and to serve God, of course, is why we're here, a clear truth, that, like the nose on your face, is near at hand and easily discernible but can make you dizzy if you try to focus on it hard. But a little faith will see you through.

Garrison Keillor

Post Thanks / Like

I probably represent a minority view but I would not buy "good" chairs. By that, I mean the substantial, heavy, chairs that look as good as pews. I would (and did) get inexpensive, lighter weight stacking banquet chairs. If you have to replace some every few years, so be it. The initial savings as well as the ease with which you can stack, move, and store them is worth the trade off. If the chairs are too substantial you lose part of the advantage of having chairs not pews.

These are the cheap chairs we bought. We move them around a lot!

Name:  my chairs.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  55.8 KB

Wilson
    "But by the grace of God I am what I am." (1 Cor. 15:10)

Post Thanks / Like

I don't believe Westerville bought pews when they moved buildings. Instead they bought nice chairs that had wood backs so that when they were lined up they had a "pew" look. When we built the new multipurpose area, we redid the old chairs in the new color and added to them with chairs that do not have exactly the same look (no wood backs) but do have the same fabric - so we try to keep a section with the same chairs. They are harder to stack because they are the substantial chairs but it isn't too difficult. What is important when changing from pews to chairs is some way to mark the carpet to make the lining up of rows easier. In the old multipurpose room, there were Velcro buttons at the end of each row. In the new multipurpose area, I guess they are marked with something that is not visible to the naked eye but it shows up under a special flashlight. Typically they do need to be adjusted weekly.

Alisa

Post Thanks / Like

I've only had one opportunity to change from pews to chairs. My recommendation, which was accepted by the board was for the pew chairs mainly for their durability and their ability to connect. The between chair connections make a big difference when one wants to keep the configuration set as planned. Loose chairs tend to get re-arranged, a lot, by those who have no business re-arranging chairs.

The pew chairs I have researched can last nearly as long as a pew (except that refurbishing might be not as practical).

There may be other options these days. Whatever you do, do your homework. Weigh the options (price versus performance). I have found that "cheapest" is almost never true.
    Without education we are in a horrible and deadly danger of taking educated people seriously. - Gilbert K. Chesterson
    Thanks Doug Kitchen, Jim Chabot - "thanks" for this post

Senior Member Valisha Trammell Hall's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

BFC has nice chairs, but they are more like theater chairs, are linked together, with nice cushions and arms. I don't like chairs unless they have arms on them, it gets uncomfortable fast.
    Thanks Gina Stevenson, Doug Kitchen - "thanks" for this post

Host Fun & Prayer forums Gina Stevenson's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Public seating has been a bane for quite some time, unless ~~ as Valisha suggested ~~ there are arms (& sufficient padding, or it leads to having to carry along w/one's "normal" things an extra cushion, too ... but then, already tend to carry a stool, often, as when the floor's not "high enough," that not-reaching-the-floor configures one's back miserably ... not good for one that's already been crushed).

But then I'm not a good one to ask, probably ... miserable seating can help me miss a lot of what's being said .......... leading to, "When's this going to be over!?" so one can find a more comfortable seating arrangement.

Cannot imagine, tho', the wooden/no-padding-at-all pews you mentioned, Doug ... I recall them from when younger.
    Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one. ~ Stella Adler
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    It takes a great deal of maturity to accept that trying to eliminate all risk eliminates life. ~ Susan Lapin ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    His anger lasts only a moment, but His favor lasts a lifetime! Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning. Psalm 30:5 (NLT)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Henderson View Post
    I've only had one opportunity to change from pews to chairs. My recommendation, which was accepted by the board was for the pew chairs mainly for their durability and their ability to connect. The between chair connections make a big difference when one wants to keep the configuration set as planned. Loose chairs tend to get re-arranged, a lot, by those who have no business re-arranging chairs.

The pew chairs I have researched can last nearly as long as a pew (except that refurbishing might be not as practical).

There may be other options these days. Whatever you do, do your homework. Weigh the options (price versus performance). I have found that "cheapest" is almost never true.
    The ability to solidly connect the chairs together is a real help. Much easier to keep the chairs in even straight rows and they tend to stay where they need to be.

It also makes it easier to return the seating to normal after things are moved around for a one time event. We do a hymn sing/concert event at a couple of churches over the winter months. We generally move a dozen or so chairs from the floor to the platform. I'll take one chair from each row against the far wall to bring to the platform. Since they hook together, it's real easy to put them back exactly where we found them.
    -Jim

To know and to serve God, of course, is why we're here, a clear truth, that, like the nose on your face, is near at hand and easily discernible but can make you dizzy if you try to focus on it hard. But a little faith will see you through.

Garrison Keillor

Host Theology Forum Dennis M. Scott's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Jim,

Is that Tremont Temple?

Assistant Site Administrator/Forum Host Jon Twitchell's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

I have a friend and colleague. Some of you probably know him. He's very particular about symmetry and everything looking just so. Some might even suggest that he's a bit AR.

His church moved to chairs a few years back, and while he would probably tell you that he loves the flexibility, it took him a LONG time to come to grips with the fact that the chairs would not be perfectly lined up. I've heard reports of him going into the sanctuary on a Sunday morning and spending (probably too much) time nudging the chairs into place in order to satisfy his aesthetic sensibilities.

Just something to keep in mind. If you move to chairs, you need to decide how important placement is, and who's going to invest the time in lining things up carefully.
    Grace and Peace,

Jon Twitchell

Cape Elizabeth Church of the Nazarene | YourChurchWeb.net | YourChurchPianist.net | FuneralChaplain.com
    Laughing Rich Schmidt - thanks for this funny post

Host Book, Movie & CE forums Ryan Scott's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

I think the best way to go might be those interconnecting chairs. The congregation my inlaws pastor has them. You can set them up in rows, very much like pews - they won't move easily and stay relatively aligned (people have to be intentional about moving them any great distance). Yet they can still be moved and rearranged as needed. It might be a good compromise.

However, all of my best under-pew crawling memories are from those very pews, so there's always nostalgia.
    ...just my $.02.
    Laughing John Kennedy, Doug Kitchen - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson Deaton View Post
    I probably represent a minority view but I would not buy "good" chairs. By that, I mean the substantial, heavy, chairs that look as good as pews. I would (and did) get inexpensive, lighter weight stacking banquet chairs. If you have to replace some every few years, so be it. The initial savings as well as the ease with which you can stack, move, and store them is worth the trade off. If the chairs are too substantial you lose part of the advantage of having chairs not pews.

These are the cheap chairs we bought. We move them around a lot!

Attachment 5634

Wilson
    Oh, I wouldn't do that. The "pew chairs" that have no gap between the chairs are great for putting your arm around your wife and for laying sleeping children across.

Senior Member Charlene Clevenger's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think chairs with arms would be comfortable or practical. You couldn't spread out, or sit close together, or lay a sleeping child's head on your lap. And they would be very uncomfortable for overweight people.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Charlene Clevenger View Post
    I don't think chairs with arms would be comfortable or practical. You couldn't spread out, or sit close together, or lay a sleeping child's head on your lap. And they would be very uncomfortable for overweight people.
    Maybe a mix of the two ... perhaps a couple of chairs at each end with arms (for those where bearing some of the weight on their arms helps take some of the vertical weight/pain off the spine), with those in the middle of the rows being without arms ???

Even with pews, there are those who will try for the end seat, & not slide in when someone enters the pew, so they can have this weight-bearing arm on the end.
    Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one. ~ Stella Adler
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    It takes a great deal of maturity to accept that trying to eliminate all risk eliminates life. ~ Susan Lapin ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    His anger lasts only a moment, but His favor lasts a lifetime! Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning. Psalm 30:5 (NLT)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gina Stevenson View Post
    Maybe a mix of the two ... perhaps a couple of chairs at each end with arms (for those where bearing some of the weight on their arms helps take some of the vertical weight/pain off the spine), with those in the middle of the rows being without arms ???
    That's exactly we we have in our sanctuary.
    If I speak God’s Word with power, revealing all his mysteries and making everything plain as day, and if I have faith that says to a mountain, “Jump,” and it jumps, but I don’t love, I’m nothing.
    Paul, 1 Corinthians 13:2

So when the gospel is diminished to a question of whether or not a person will “get into heaven,” that reduces the good news to a ticket, a way to get past the bouncer and into the club. The good news is better than that.
    Rob Bell, Love Wins
    Thanks Gina Stevenson - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis M. Scott View Post
    Jim,

Is that Tremont Temple?
    Why yes sir, it is. I've been spending a whole bunch of time there as I'm working on upgrading their sound system. There are a whole gaggle of wires in there!

It's been a welcome distraction, since things at our church haven't been going very well.

If you would like a behind the scenes tour of the place, let me know!
    -Jim

Garrison Keillor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Chabot View Post
    Why yes sir, it is. I've been spending a whole bunch of time there as I'm working on upgrading their sound system.
    I remember that place. If you need any gear or design work- I know a guy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Kitchen View Post
    What should we be looking for in chairs? Have you noticed anything in your travels that are particularly disadvantageous to chairs? eg are most of them broken after a few years? One thing I noticed is that church chairs are fairly inexpensive (~50/chair or less). At previous times when I have checked they were over $100/chair.
    I wish I could be more help, but my personal experience has been rather limited. We have the cheaper chairs, not too different from Wilson's, but that works well for us because most of our seating is around tables. The bigger, pew-style chairs might look odd around tables.

If you're replacing pews, and if most of your chairs are going to be in rows, and you're not going to be rearranging them frequently (maybe just a few times a year), then going with the bigger, pew-style chairs that lock together is probably a good thing. For those who love pews, they'll still kind of feel like them... but much more cushiony.

Post Thanks / Like

There are a lot of options with pew chairs. The end seats with an armrest have been mentioned. There are also "seat and a half" chairs one can buy. If you have people in your congregation that oppose losing the pews, the end-chairs will go a long way in winning them over. A few seat and a half chairs in the mix will help you also. If you go that route, get a few of the seat and a half chairs, even if you don't need them right now, you may in the future. Don't overlook the under seat book racks or pockets in the back of the chair. You may not use hymnals now but that does not mean you won't in the future.

One big advantage of pew chairs is the ability to create a wheelchair gap anywhere in the sanctuary versus limiting them to the back row. Accommodation for unique needs was the deal maker for me.
    Without education we are in a horrible and deadly danger of taking educated people seriously. - Gilbert K. Chesterson
    Thanks Gina Stevenson, Marsha Lynn - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Henderson View Post
    One big advantage of pew chairs is the ability to create a wheelchair gap anywhere in the sanctuary versus limiting them to the back row. Accommodation for unique needs was the deal maker for me.
    Advantage over pews, correct? It's not an advantage over cheaper chairs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Schmidt View Post
    Advantage over pews, correct? It's not an advantage over cheaper chairs.
    true. The advantage over cheaper chairs are sturdiness, comfort, and appearance (from a church perspective). Its much like selecting carpet for your sanctuary. You can buy residential carpet cheaper than commercial carpet, however, when it comes time to replace that carpet you may not have the money, cheaper as it may be.

Commercial carpet is designed for high traffic and is worth the money. Buy right, when you buy. If you don't have enough money to buy what you need ... wait.
    Thanks Gina Stevenson - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Now, since you mentioned the chairs are around tables, Rich, that makes a big difference as to whether you need arms or not ... if around tables, then some of that weight put on the chair arms if they sit "alone-in-space" is then put onto the tables instead, when necessary.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Post Thanks / Like

Those chairs are what I would call banquet chairs, IMO they are not a great choice for places that previously had pews. Decent church chairs seem to start just under $50. Many are light and stackable. The sky is the limit on how nice some chairs get.

I agree that spending too much on chairs quickly enters the realm of diminishing returns, I do like them to at least interlock. Like these-

Post Thanks / Like

Whatever you do....don't go with theater seats in a church.
    God loves people with wide rear ends too you know and desires they attend worship.

BILL

+ Reply to Thread