+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hessert, Paul - Christ and the End of Meaning, the Theology of Passion

Post Thanks / Like

Hessert, Paul - Christ and the End of Meaning, the Theology of Passion

I'm reading this book and haven't finished it yet, but I'm loving it. Hessert (a late UMC professor) argues that our entire world looks for meaning, and generally finds it in the guilt/innocence system. Ever since the Fall, mankind has been blaming folks for the fact that we don't live in the world we should live in. It was the woman, it was the snake. It's ISIS. It's the Dems, it's the GOP. It's Islam. The list is endless and actually quite irrelevant because the very system is the problem.
    According to Hessert, Christ crucified is the end to this system, for it cannot account for an innocent man's suffering, let alone God dying on a cross. That's why the Jews found it a stumbling block (the Messiah would punish the guilty and deliver the innocent) and the Greeks foolishness, for a God who died and was raised in a body made no sense to them at all. As indeed it does not. But God's foolishness is wiser than the world's wisdom.

As I said, I haven't come to the end of the book yet, I'm at 2/3rd, but this is the best stuff I've read in years. Unfortunately, the book is out of print and even the last publisher does not seem to exist anymore. But I'm working on turning the PDF I found into EPUB, a format for an e-reader.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hessert, Paul - Christ and the End of Meaning, the Theology of Passion

Hans, how much is he interacting with Rene Girard's scapegoat theory? Is there much interplay between their perspectives?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, this is a book I have been wanting to read for quite some time. I am someone with an interest in Christian Existentialism, and it seems like this would be a great resource. However, I can't find it for less than $200 (!). You mentioned in your post that you were working creating a pdf of it. Is that available by any chance?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Hans isn't on NazNet anymore.

But you can probably find him on FaceBook.
    Achiever - Learner -Context - Intellection - Input

Visit my theology weblog at: gregorycrofford.com
    Amazon author page: https://amazon.com/author/jgregorycrofford
    Facebook: Greg Crofford
    Twitter: @africasojourner

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, no. Well, thanks.

+ Reply to Thread