+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Arrival (2016)

Post Thanks / Like

Arrival (2016)

Saw this last night. It was good, but not as good as I was hoping. Amy Adams was good, as usual.

The reason I didn't like it as much as I hoped was that there was never so much a moment of AHA! clarity that I was expecting. And the thing they tried to clarify at the end has so many holes in it that I was left wondering if I was missing something (I don't think I was).

The score is absolutely beautiful, focusing on Max Richter's "On the Nature of Daylight". Stunning stuff there.

So all-in-all, no need to rush to the theaters for this one, but it's worth two hours of your time at a later date.
    Thanks Ryan Scott, Mike Schutz - "thanks" for this post

Host Book, Movie & GA forums Ryan Scott's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Arrival (2016)

I really liked it. I'm behind on my movie watching for 2016, but this is my favorite of the year so far. It's well acted - although I'm not a huge Renner fan in general - but it was really inventive and beautifully shot. The script is smart and paced well. I didn't like Villneuve's Sicario as much as most people, but you can tell he's got a unique talent with this one.
    ...just my $.02.

Post Thanks / Like

StrengthsFinder Top 5: Input ---------- Intellection ---------- Connectedness ---------- Context ---------- Belief

Myers-Briggs Type: Introversion ---------- Intuition ---------- Feeling ---------- Perception (INFP)

My Website & Blog: alucasfinch.net
    Laughing Rich Schmidt - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

I just finished watching it on DVD (credits scrolling now), and I loved it!

I don't want to give anything away for those who haven't seen it... but I am curious what holes you felt were left in it at the end, Jeremy. I felt like they put it all together beautifully. Instead of one "aha!" moment, they instead gave us a growing awareness of what we were seeing, and by the end it's all pretty explicit.

I thought it was very, very good.

+ Reply to Thread