View Poll Results: Who do you want to and think will win the Super Bowl?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • I want the Falcons to win and think they will

3 14.29%
  • I want the Falcons to win and think they won't

3 14.29%
  • I want the Patriots to win and think they will

9 42.86%
  • I want the Patriots to win and think they won't

2 9.52%
  • I don't care

4 19.05%
  • Other

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Super Bowl LI

Post Thanks / Like

Super Bowl LI

The Super Bowl is this coming Sunday, featuring the Patriots for their seventh appearance in the last 16 years and ninth overall against the Falcons in their second.

Who do you think will win and who do you want to win?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Super Bowl LI

My fandom is no secret around here, but I have to say that the confidence of both the Patriots fans and media is somewhat surprising to me. It's like no one remembers 2007. They're saying that the Falcons defense is terrible. It was in the regular season, but in the playoffs, they've shut down great players (including Aaron Rodgers). So we'll see about that.

Two interesting notes:
    • Every Super Bowl that the Patriots have played in this century has been decided by four points or fewer, one way or the other.
    • In all six of those Super Bowls, the Patriots have never scored in the first quarter. I'm not sure that will work this time around.
    Thanks David Troxler, Tim Troxler - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

In the last playoff game, I promised not to root for the Patriots because all of the teams I supported seemed to lose. Will voting for the Patriots to win break that promise? I think they will win. I think they may be the best team in football history.
    Thanks David Troxler - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy D. Scott View Post
    The Super Bowl is this coming Sunday, featuring the Patriots for their seventh appearance in the last 16 years and ninth overall against the Falcons in their second.

I am in a very uncomfortable spot of rooting for the Patriots. I want them to win because I want someone to stick it to Roger Goodell and I would like to see that exchange with Brady and Kraft. I have no ill will towards the Falcons. I hear what you're saying about the Falcon's D though. Once they manage to get a 2 possession lead Atlanta doesn't seem to look back.

Post Thanks / Like

As a Pats fan, I am very concerned. And I'm okay with that.

There have been two times when I was confident the Patriots would win the Super Bowl: The two games against the Giants -

- The two games they lost.
    "Fully embracing the Gospel, fully engaging the world"

Assistant Site Administrator/Forum Host Kevin Rector's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

So, I generally always root against any dynasty - so I can't root for the Patriots. I also generally root against anyone who seems like a jerk, so I can't root for Bill Belichick. Also my next door neighbor is a big Atlanta Fan, so there's that. Also I live in the South so there's that. I also have to root for the team that's never won a Super Bowl and has only gotten there once. So, I'm totally rooting for the Falcons to win.

However, the poll questions required me to have some opinion on the ability of the Falcons to win over the Patriots... on that I have no knowledge... so I voted that, "I don't care." This actually more accurately reflects my true sentiment anyway.
    God is really good.

Post Thanks / Like

I strongly dislike the Patriots. I like the Falcons and do think they will win. They have a great offense, a very fast defense, and I think they'll do everything they can to get to Brady early and often. My Super Bowl MVP choice is Vic Beasley.

Post Thanks / Like

Our church called off "Home Groups" because of the Super Bowl fiasco. That was disappointing. But at least the commercials are somewhat interesting - sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations to Patriots fans on a great comeback win in Super Bowl LI.

My immediate thought is that Tom Brady has cemented himself as the greatest QB of all time. What the Patriots have done over the last 17 years might never be matched again in the history of the NFL.

My second thought it that overtime rules need to change. A coin flip kept the ball out of the hands of the highest scoring offense from this past season. I'm fine with the Patriots receiving the ball and scoring a touchdown, but the Falcons should have their own opportunity to score.
    Thanks Gina Stevenson - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

There's a lot to say, and maybe I'll post it in the coming days because I'm sure you're all wondering what I'm thinking, but I probably won't and you surely aren't.

Just a few things:
    It almost feels wrong. You know, if something were to come out about cheating today, I wouldn't be surprised, regardless of whether or not it's true. Because Tom Brady is either the greatest everything of all-time or the game is somehow won for him. No one should be able to say that they successfully walked off the field from the Super Bowl giving their team the chance to win in the last couple of minutes even two times. But he has done it six (maybe seven) times. And what he did yesterday...drove five times to score at the end...of the Super Bowl...with two successful two point conversions. It's just not possible. If not for the fact that we actually saw him put the ball where it needed to be on those passes, it would seem like it was all done for him. (Not to mention Edelman's "catch"...how do you manufacture that?)

Anyway, I have a weird feeling about it all this morning. I'm glad they won, but it'll make more sense later on, I guess.

David, I get what you're saying about overtime, but I don't think offenses need anymore opportunity to do things than they already get. The NFL continues to swell towards more offense and I don't want to see anything else that favors the offense. Matt Ryan had many chances to score. He (and the rest of the offense) failed to score on their last four possessions. The ball was not taken away from them unfairly. They just didn't do it and coupled with some poor play-calling, they failed to score and gave the Patriots a chance (particularly a couple of drop-backs to throw when they just didn't need to, which allowed for the strip sack and other sacks).

Football isn't just an offensive game. It's a game of defense just as much (and for the most of history, has even been more so a game of defense). The main reason that Matt Ryan didn't get a chance to lead the Falcons in overtime was because their own defense didn't stop the Patriots...for five drives in a row. Defense counts.

Post Thanks / Like

Idaho native, Shea McLellin, from Chicken Dinner Road near Marsing, ID, was our contribution to the Patriots. He is the second Boise State Bronco alum two years in a row to earn a championship ring. Last year it was Matt Patredis of Council, Idaho, center for the Denver Broncos.

Post Thanks / Like

Football isn't just an offensive game. It's a game of defense just as much (and for the most of history, has even been more so a game of defense). The main reason that Matt Ryan didn't get a chance to lead the Falcons in overtime was because their own defense didn't stop the Patriots...for five drives in a row. Defense counts.
    In the Falcons defense, I think they were dead tired. They were on the field for more than 40 minutes of the game. It was not part of the game plan to need a comeback - but I'm sure it was in the gameplan to keep Matt Ryan off the field as much as possible. At the end of the day, the Patriots had more mental and physical endurance. That more than a coinflip is why they won.
    "Neither holiness nor love is Christian without the other...Love without holiness disintegrates into sentimentality. Personal integrity is lost. But holiness without love is not holiness at all. In spite of its label, it displays harshness, judgmentalism, a critical spirit, and all its capacity for discrimination ends in nitpicking and divisiveness." - MBW

Post Thanks / Like

There's a lot to say, and maybe I'll post it in the coming days because I'm sure you're all wondering what I'm thinking, but I probably won't and you surely aren't.

Just a few things:
    It almost feels wrong. You know, if something were to come out about cheating today, I wouldn't be surprised, regardless of whether or not it's true. Because Tom Brady is either the greatest everything of all-time or the game is somehow won for him. No one should be able to say that they successfully walked off the field from the Super Bowl giving their team the chance to win in the last couple of minutes even two times. But he has done it six (maybe seven) times. And what he did yesterday...drove five times to score at the end...of the Super Bowl...with two successful two point conversions. It's just not possible. If not for the fact that we actually saw him put the ball where it needed to be on those passes, it would seem like it was all done for him. (Not to mention Edelman's "catch"...how do you manufacture that?)

Anyway, I have a weird feeling about it all this morning. I'm glad they won, but it'll make more sense later on, I guess.

David, I get what you're saying about overtime, but I don't think offenses need anymore opportunity to do things than they already get. The NFL continues to swell towards more offense and I don't want to see anything else that favors the offense. Matt Ryan had many chances to score. He (and the rest of the offense) failed to score on their last four possessions. The ball was not taken away from them unfairly. They just didn't do it and coupled with some poor play-calling, they failed to score and gave the Patriots a chance (particularly a couple of drop-backs to throw when they just didn't need to, which allowed for the strip sack and other sacks).

This kind of analysis makes no sense to me. Brady was good, but the defense won that game and made the comeback... Not him. He scored less in that span of time than the Falcons did in the first half. The points he scored are meaningless if the defense lets Atlanta get even one field goal...

Yet Tom Brady is the greatest for this win? It just literally makes no sense.
    - Ben

Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death! And to those in the tombs, bestowing life!
    Χριστὸς ἀνέστη ἐκ νεκρῶν, θανάτῳ θάνατον πατήσας! καὶ τοῖς ἐν τοῖς μνήμασι, ζωὴν χαρισάμενος!

Post Thanks / Like

Here in Georgia, there are some sour moods today!
    Wherever I am, God is, and all is well.

Post Thanks / Like

In that case, should we have finished the Super Bowl with co-champions, cut the trophy in half, and invited both teams to the podium?

The reality is that the offenses did need an opportunity to do more than they already had, because one team has to score more points. I just wish each team got that extra chance. While the Falcons had opportunities to score in regulation and didn't, the coin flip in overtime leads to a situation where the opportunities are not equal. The Falcons couldn't stop the Patriots so the Patriots automatically win. A championship game, or any game for that matter, should have overtime rules that provide equal opportunity. The college game has gotten it right...why can't the NFL? Actually, every other sport has gotten it right. I can't think of any other sport that has overtime rules that are as lopsided as the NFL.
    Thanks Mark Bolerjack - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Morris View Post
    In that case, should we have finished the Super Bowl with co-champions, cut the trophy in half, and invited both teams to the podium?

The reality is that the offenses did need an opportunity to do more than they already had, because one team has to score more points. I just wish each team got that extra chance. While the Falcons had opportunities to score in regulation and didn't, the coin flip in overtime leads to a situation where the opportunities are not equal. The Falcons couldn't stop the Patriots so the Patriots automatically win. A championship game, or any game for that matter, should have overtime rules that provide equal opportunity. The college game has gotten it right...why can't the NFL? Actually, every other sport has gotten it right. I can't think of any other sport that has overtime rules that are as lopsided as the NFL.
    Speaking of just this situation, when you are up 28-3 late in the 3rd quarter, there is little room for making the argument that the reason you lost was due to a flawed overtime rule. All Atlanta had to do was stop the Patriots, and then they get the ball. The overtime rule did not decide this game. Atlanta lost because they could not hold the lead - both for playcalling and execution reasons - and they were facing a team that is merciless in taking advantage of other team's mistakes. Atlanta did have the ball - on the Pats 22 yard line with four minutes left in the 4th quarter, and all they needed was a field goal. Their inability to seal the deal is what cost them the game.

Site Manager G R 'Scott' Cundiff's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Ho-hum - another 25 point come from behind overtime victory.

Just what I expected.

Post Thanks / Like

We had our usual Super Bowl shindig at church. And as usual it fizzled before the game was over. Except it was pretty much over when we left during the third quarter. The Patriots were obviously defeated.

Somehow, during the time between when the television in the fellowship hall was shut off and when I found the game on the radio in the car, the Patriots managed to get their first touchdown. How did that happen? Still, there was a big gap.

I got home and forgot about the game.

As I prepared to go to bed, I decided to check the final score.

Unbelievable.

I guess it's not over until it's over.

Someone famous should say that sometime.
    Only the power of the Holy Spirit can get truth past the obvious.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schutz View Post
    Speaking of just this situation, when you are up 28-3 late in the 3rd quarter, there is little room for making the argument that the reason you lost was due to a flawed overtime rule. All Atlanta had to do was stop the Patriots, and then they get the ball. The overtime rule did not decide this game. Atlanta lost because they could not hold the lead - both for playcalling and execution reasons - and they were facing a team that is merciless in taking advantage of other team's mistakes. Atlanta did have the ball - on the Pats 22 yard line with four minutes left in the 4th quarter, and all they needed was a field goal. Their inability to seal the deal is what cost them the game.
    I'm confused. I didn't say the Falcons lost because of a flawed overtime rule. I'm not making an argument that the overtime rule decided the game.

What I am saying is that at the end of regulation, a full 60-minute game, the score was tied. It was 28-28. That means overtime. Each team had their chances in the first 60 minutes to win the game, and neither team could do it. I couldn't care less who had the lead late in the third quarter and who didn't. I'm not looking for multiple examples of when Atlanta could have sealed the deal. Rather, I'm suggesting that the overtime rule itself is flawed. (ETA: My apologies if I come off as sounding snarky...not my intention. I'm simply wanting to communicate that my issue isn't with the fact that the Falcons had numerous opportunities to put the game away and didn't. My issue is with the approach to the format of an NFL overtime.)

It's why in hockey, each team gets 5 penalty shots.
    It's why in baseball, each team gets 3 outs worth of offense.
    It's why in golf, each golfer gets to play the same hole.
    It's why in college football, each team gets a chance on offense.
    It's why in soccer, each team get's five free kicks. I will concede that they play sudden death for the first 30 minutes of overtime.

Maybe the real question is whether I'd be this annoyed with the rules had the Patriots lost. Probably not...but I would still think it's a worthless rule.
    Last edited by David Morris; February 7th, 2017 at 12:54 AM. Reason: My tone seems a little too strong.
    Thanks Gina Stevenson - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe the real question is whether I'd be this annoyed with the rules had the Patriots lost. Probably not...but I would still think it's a worthless rule.
    I heard the (unvalidated) claim yesterday that the team winning the coinflip only scores a touchdown 35% of the time. That's no guaranteed win. I'm still looking for a source for that number, but ultimately the test of fairness is statistical - if the team winning the coinflip scores a touchdown more than 50% of the time, it isn't a fair rule.

Now, I did find a dated study that the coinflip winning team wins in OT 60% of the time - but that includes getting only a field goal and giving the other offense a chance. Still doesn't seem like it is unfair, but we could certainly find more stats on the matter.
    "Neither holiness nor love is Christian without the other...Love without holiness disintegrates into sentimentality. Personal integrity is lost. But holiness without love is not holiness at all. In spite of its label, it displays harshness, judgmentalism, a critical spirit, and all its capacity for discrimination ends in nitpicking and divisiveness." - MBW

Post Thanks / Like

I'm confused. I didn't say the Falcons lost because of a flawed overtime rule. I'm not making an argument that the overtime rule decided the game.

What I am saying is that at the end of regulation, a full 60-minute game, the score was tied. It was 28-28. That means overtime. Each team had their chances in the first 60 minutes to win the game, and neither team could do it. I couldn't care less who had the lead late in the third quarter and who didn't. I'm not looking for multiple examples of when Atlanta could have sealed the deal. Rather, I'm suggesting that the overtime rule itself is flawed. (ETA: My apologies if I come off as sounding snarky...not my intention. I'm simply wanting to communicate that my issue isn't with the fact that the Falcons had numerous opportunities to put the game away and didn't. My issue is with the approach to the format of an NFL overtime.)

It's why in hockey, each team gets 5 penalty shots.
    It's why in baseball, each team gets 3 outs worth of offense.
    It's why in golf, each golfer gets to play the same hole.
    It's why in college football, each team gets a chance on offense.
    It's why in soccer, each team get's five free kicks. I will concede that they play sudden death for the first 30 minutes of overtime.

I know - I was just trying to pick a fight.

+ Reply to Thread