+ Reply to Thread

Thread: General Assembly travel plans

Site Manager G R 'Scott' Cundiff's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

General Assembly travel plans

I just booked our GA stay.

Since we travel in our RV, I found a nice RV park (Lake Haven) on the south side of Indy. In the past we stayed at Camby Campground, be we decided to go with a commercial campground this time.

We'll be in Indy June 20-26.

So, what are your plans?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: General Assembly travel plans

Last time, I rode the train from Whitefish, MT to Indi. This time, I'm thinking about bicycling.

I'd actually ride the train again, but I doubt my delegation would agree. Last time we were spread across the district, so we made our own arrangements. This time, we're all coming from the same area, so I'm working things out for all of us. We're definitely flying, though I haven't decided yet if we'll fly straight into Indi or if we'll go elsewhere. The Cardinals are in St. Louis right after the Conventions, so I'm thinking of flying into St. Louis, renting and driving from there, and then catching a game in St. Louis afterward.
    StrengthsFinder Top 5: Input ---------- Intellection ---------- Connectedness ---------- Context ---------- Belief

Myers-Briggs Type: Introversion ---------- Intuition ---------- Feeling ---------- Perception (INFP)

My Website & Blog: alucasfinch.net

Host Book, Movie & GA forums Ryan Scott's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Finch View Post
    Last time, I rode the train from Whitefish, MT to Indi. This time, I'm thinking about bicycling.

I'd actually ride the train again, but I doubt my delegation would agree. Last time we were spread across the district, so we made our own arrangements. This time, we're all coming from the same area, so I'm working things out for all of us. We're definitely flying, though I haven't decided yet if we'll fly straight into Indi or if we'll go elsewhere. The Cardinals are in St. Louis right after the Conventions, so I'm thinking of flying into St. Louis, renting and driving from there, and then catching a game in St. Louis afterward.
    Just remember to do one way rentals - parking in Indy is like $40 a day.
    ...just my $.02.
    Thanks Lucas Finch - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Scott View Post
    Just remember to do one way rentals - parking in Indy is like $40 a day.
    Good suggestion. Thanks!
    StrengthsFinder Top 5: Input ---------- Intellection ---------- Connectedness ---------- Context ---------- Belief

Myers-Briggs Type: Introversion ---------- Intuition ---------- Feeling ---------- Perception (INFP)

My Website & Blog: alucasfinch.net

Post Thanks / Like

I am aware of one individual who bought a monthly parking pass at one of the Indy garages nearest the convention center and paid for that particular June ahead of time. The monthly rate apparently was much cheaper for the one month of parking than individual day rates during Assembly itself.
    Thanks Marsha Lynn, Ryan Scott - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Linda and I are still deciding whether or not we will go. We will probably go for Friday over Sunday. For some reason, I am finding it difficult to get excited about it.

Post Thanks / Like

I will be a delegate to the NYI Convention, Wednesday through Friday. My wife will be there through the conventions and part of GA as a member of ONU's admissions team, so I'll be sticking around through the early part of the following week. Having served as a youth pastor for six years in Indianapolis gives me a little more motivation to go.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'll stay with Scott.

Site Manager G R 'Scott' Cundiff's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Farra View Post
    I think I'll stay with Scott.
    I've got a sleeper couch, but you may have to fight one of my grandkids for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G R 'Scott' Cundiff View Post
    I've got a sleeper couch, but you may have to fight one of my grandkids for it.
    I'll let my wife do that. She's got a mean right uppercut.
    Laughing G R 'Scott' Cundiff, Gina Stevenson, Marsha Lynn - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

I live about 20-25 miles NE of the downtown area so I'll stay at home and drive back and forth. No definite plans for when I'll be there and when I won't be there. I've filled out a volunteer form so I'll see what I get assigned.

Post Thanks / Like

We're driving. Six (and one baby) is too many for airline tickets. Hoping to find a church within the area again where, after dropping of the family and luggage at the hotel, I can park the car and then Uber in. We parked our popup camper at a church last time and paid for parking at the hotel for our car, but didn't use it even once while there.

Post Thanks / Like

Some tips from someone who lives in Indianapolis:
    • Uber is everywhere. Traditional taxis are nowhere. Use Uber.
    • The restaurants near the convention center are fine but they aren't the most interesting the city has to offer. If you can, walk/Uber to the Mass Ave District or, even better, the neighborhoods of Fletcher Place and Fountain Square.
    • Walk the Canal. It's Indy's most underutilized amenity. It's surprisingly nice.
    • Forget Starbucks. Drink good coffee. Bee Coffee Roasters is close. Calvin Fletcher's Coffee Company, founded by former Nazarenes, is a bit further. Coat Check Coffee just opened on Mass Ave.
    • If you're traveling with children, the Children's Museum of Indianapolis is good.
    • Bike the Indianapolis Cultural Trail. Indy has many bicycle kiosks where you can rent a bike for 30 minutes at a time. The cultural trail is a paved trail that connects many downtown neighborhoods.
    • Enjoy the city. Indy is not Portland, Austin, or Denver but it has come a long way even in the last 4 years.

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to help.
    Thanks Jeremy D. Scott, David Troxler, Marsha Lynn - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

My post evidently didn't pass.

Post Thanks / Like

I plan to be there Wednesday through Monday. No reservations for lodging yet. My husband Dave was planning to be part of "One Heart, Many Hands" again this time, but is having second thoughts and let the first deadline slip past this week. Because of his involvement in that in 2013, we were on different schedules coming and going and every day, so we drove the 90 miles to Indy separately. We stayed over by the old airport (just inside the I-465 loop on the west side), far enough out we didn't have to pay for motel parking, but we did have to pay to park downtown. We did surface parking in Lot A on the south side of the convention center for a modest fee. It's a bit of a hike, but easy in and out. Not long before the last G.A., I had stayed in one of the fancy downtown hotels for a convention and left my minivan in Lot A around the clock rather than paying to park at the hotel. It worked out well.

For those looking for lodging outside the downtown area, I suggest, as I did four years ago, looking west on I-70 rather than east, although it has been long enough since we tried the east side things might be better now.
    Last edited by Marsha Lynn; February 4th, 2017 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Clarity
    Only the power of the Holy Spirit can get truth past the obvious.
    Thanks David Troxler - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I absolutely agree. Rook in Fletcher Place is my absolute favorite!! I can give you a whole list because my son and I have a habit of "date nights" where we try all kinds of eateries. Santorini's for Greek is excellent and there is a relatively new Greek place downtown that is great too. I guess I would say, don't get me started or I may never quit.
    The museums, cultural trail, the canal......it's all good. Amazing the changes/improvements Indy has made and is making in the city.
    There are also Blue Cars that you can rent relatively cheap much like the bikes. I know about a dozen Uber drivers in the area too.

Senior Member Charlene Clevenger's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

I just found out this week that I'm a delegate to the general NMI convention. I'm excited! I thought our district president sent me the material by mistake, but she told me somebody couldn't serve, so I'm next in line.

The district will give me a per Diem to cover the hotel & food for those 3 days. My husband will be going with me. I'm waiting to hear back from a friend to see if we can stay with him through the weekend.

As far as travel plans, it's only about a 2 hour drive for us, so that's no problems. And the hotels they have delegate in are all within waling distance, so hopefully we can just leave our car in the hotel lot.
    Thanks G R 'Scott' Cundiff, Wilson Deaton - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Its looking like I will be on sabatical. I will probably drive accross country. Mostly for the benefit of the drive and of course the oppertunity to spend time in KC going and coming.
    It is not enough to be right, you have to be like Jesus.

Strength Finders - Futuristic, Strategic, Self Assurance, Individualization, Ideation
    Meyer's Brigs - ENTP
    Thanks Wilson Deaton - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Linda and I made our travel plans this week. We will be there from Wed until Monday.

I attempted to book our hotel through the denominational web site, but the hotels within easy walking distance would allow me to only book a "smoking" room with a notation that a "nonsmoking room is requested." There is no way I am gong to accept a "smoking" room, so I went directly to the Homewood Suites web site. The rooms are much more expensive than in the past, but we are observing that everywhere we travel. There has been a good bit of inflation in hotel prices recently.

Southwest Airlines had some excellent prices -- less than $200 from Seattle to Indy. That is cheap enough that I chose not to use points. There were no direct flights. We get to see Las Vegas on the way to Indy and Denver on the way back home.
    Thanks Wilson Deaton - "thanks" for this post

Senior Member Charlene Clevenger's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

We got in at the Westin. I didn't even think about asking for a non-smoking room. Oh well. I don't have a sense of smell, and my husband can put up with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Still working on plans but it looks like Air BnB. We had an other option, but it didn't work out. My wife was wondering about what the big draw is at GA, and I told her it is supposed to be the exhibit hall. Anyone care to expand on that for me?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Farra View Post
    Still working on plans but it looks like Air BnB. We had an other option, but it didn't work out. My wife was wondering about what the big draw is at GA, and I told her it is supposed to be the exhibit hall. Anyone care to expand on that for me?
    Probably something different for everyone. I go to see and spend time with friends. I like signing up to take people to lunch. For me, the exhibit hall is mostly a good place to spot people you know. I like seeing old retired people who helped shape the church in great ways and I like to see the young NYI generation that will soon be running the show.

The evening services used to be a highlight for me but the last couple of GA's the preaching hasn't been all that great and the music has been old school. Regardless, it's super inspiring being with Nazarenes from all around the world. I always meet people who serve the Lord in ways that I can learn a lot from.

Strangely, my favorite part is the General Assembly itself. I love to see how the church politics plays out between the Americans and the non-Americans. The vote for GS can be just like the Falcons-Patriots game. I've never been a GA delegate but I have always had great time cheering from the sidelines.

There is always a prayer room available and I like praying there for the Church with people who care as much as I do about our church and pray in other languages, hopefully not a private one, lol. I always meet friends who have had an unfortunate turn of events and I like being there to be as much of a friend as I can.

Post Thanks / Like

Long story short, we had a free hotel room to share but it has fallen through, but we found a room at an AirBnb place about a 20 minute walk to the convention center. With a discount, we're paying $103 for a room with private bath. Not too bad.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm flying into Detroit on Monday (June 19) and driving down to Indy on Tuesday to be ready for SDMI Convention to start on Wednesday. I will then depart back to Michigan on Saturday and return to Alaska on the following Tuesday, having spent a brief couple of days with my folks. I am saving my district some funds and staying with relatives in Indy, though I haven't confirmed which ones as yet.

Host Book, Movie & GA forums Ryan Scott's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking of driving in for a couple days early (maybe Thurs through Sat) just to see people and participate a little. We'll see if it works out. We're travelling a lot this summer and next, so it'll come down to budget.
    ...just my $.02.

Post Thanks / Like

We will be arriving Wednesday afternoon and departing Monday afternoon. I hope to see many of you there.

Dave
    Thanks David Troxler, Greg Farra, Michael Flowers - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I will be arriving on Monday the 19th, and departing on Thursday the 29th. When the exhibit hall is open, I'll likely be there (at the Foundation booth). Once the exhibit hall is closed and business begins, you'll likely find me in the gallery or visiting in the halls. Like Dave, I hope to see many of you there!
    Grace and Peace,

Jon Twitchell

"We... must tell a future generation the praises of the Lord." - Psalm 78:4 (HCSB)
    Thanks Michael Flowers - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave McClung View Post
    We will be arriving Wednesday afternoon and departing Monday afternoon. I hope to see many of you there.

Dave
    Has anyone thought about the time and place for the traditional quadrennial Naznet group pic? I've missed it the last 2 times and would like to make it this time.
    Thanks David Troxler - "thanks" for this post

+ Reply to Thread