+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Modem or . . . ??

Host Fun & Prayer forums Gina Stevenson's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Modem or . . . ??

Not sure what's going on but I suddenly, as of awhile ago, have no internet unless I turn phone data on (mine is rather limited per month). We tried turning the modem off and back on to no avail. And I looked on the internet about troubleshooting the modem and it's Greek to me. So maybe will call tomorrow to see what's going on if it's still not working. Could be a neighborhood thing, I don't know; or my modem, as it's a very old one.
    Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one. ~ Stella Adler
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    It takes a great deal of maturity to accept that trying to eliminate all risk eliminates life. ~ Susan Lapin ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    His anger lasts only a moment, but His favor lasts a lifetime! Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning. Psalm 30:5 (NLT)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Modem or . . . ??

Well, we see no suggestions. So thank goodness that after 2,5+ days, tried it again and suddenly things were working. Weird!! Good thing b/c modems aren't cheap.
    Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one. ~ Stella Adler
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    It takes a great deal of maturity to accept that trying to eliminate all risk eliminates life. ~ Susan Lapin ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    His anger lasts only a moment, but His favor lasts a lifetime! Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning. Psalm 30:5 (NLT)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just stumbling across this now, but even if I'd seen it the day you posted it, I couldn't have helped, because I have no idea what kind of modem you're talking about or how your phone data would affect it.

I'm guessing (don't know) that you have one of those modems that works a lot like a smartphone, in that it gets its internet connection "over the air" from cell towers (much like your phone does), then shares that internet connection with you through a wifi network.

And then I'm guessing that you're connecting your phone to the internet over that wifi network... but it wasn't working, so you had to turn your phone data on.

Is that correct?

If so... well, it sounds to me like you did all the troubleshooting you can (unplug, restart) before needing to call your internet provider to find out what's up. The only other things I would have tried that you didn't mention would be (1) to restart my phone, in case the problem is with my phone and not the modem, and (2) try connecting with a different device or computer, again to make sure the problem is really the modem and not just my phone. Those would let me feel confident that the problem is the modem, and if I've already restarted the modem a couple times with no change, then it's time to call the service provider.
    Thanks Gina Stevenson - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Rich. Yeah, tried the restart phone thing, too. The modem is for wifi but plugged into a line coming into the house from phone co. As AT&T keeps going up ($), about ready to dump them! But first I need to find out if the phone needs a new battery and/or charger. It's been saying "charging slowly" and to put it on the charger that it came with to resolve that. Well, that's the charger telling me that, so . . . .

ETA: And it's too new (July 29 '16) to have been telling me that already for a couple months now.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing, when restarting the modem, they have an internal battery. To do a reset, you not only have to unplug the power supply, but you have to disconnect the battery as well. On ours, we just open the cover and slide the battery out enough to not have contact, wait 30 seconds or so, then slice the battery back in place and connect the power supply.
    Godspeed.

Mark B

www.mbb.helo.life

Post Thanks / Like

Have done this enough times that we don't think it's just a remove-the-battery solution.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Post Thanks / Like

It was just a thought.
    Godspeed.

Mark B

www.mbb.helo.life
    Thanks Gina Stevenson - "thanks" for this post

+ Reply to Thread