+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Sign of the Cross? Yay or Nay?

Post Thanks / Like

The Sign of the Cross? Yay or Nay?

I'm curious as to how many ministers in our denomination practice the sign of the cross in their church life, personal prayers, etc. I'd love to hear feedback on peoples opinions on this!
    Thanks David Troxler, Bill Morrison, David Graham - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Sign of the Cross? Yay or Nay?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Dodd View Post
    I'm curious as to how many ministers in our denomination practice the sign of the cross in their church life, personal prayers, etc. I'd love to hear feedback on peoples opinions on this!
    I have practiced this personally when I receive Eucharist for 20+ years (in the manner of the Eastern tradition, right to left, which is opposite from the Roman Catholic practice). It is a way to connect to the ongoing Christian tradition as well as a personal Faith confession. I have noticed that three or four other laypersons in our congregation also regularly practice this. The last time I preached in seminary chapel (NTS) I closed the sermon with a blessing and the sign of the cross. I also use the sign of the cross in anointing for prayer.

Several years ago we attended a Catholic Good Friday Service, and I found it very easy to share this practice with the congregation. I was a little less comfortable with the genuflexion, although I understand its meaning.

Grace and peace,

Dennis B.
    Thanks Wes Smith - "thanks" for this post

Site Manager G R 'Scott' Cundiff's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

When I anoint with oil I do it in the sign of the cross. My words are, "I anoint you with oil in the sign of the cross in the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G R 'Scott' Cundiff View Post
    When I anoint with oil I do it in the sign of the cross. My words are, "I anoint you with oil in the sign of the cross in the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit."
    That is my practice as well.

I don't practice it as in the act of signing one's self, but have absolutely no issue with it.
    Thanks G R 'Scott' Cundiff - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I've done this the opposite way as others have said. I do this in my own prayers, normally in private. I have not done it from the pulpit purposely** as there's a large part of the congregation that would take instant issue with it.

**I did do it once while leading the congregation in prayer before the Eucharist, just out of habit. Thankfully no one noticed except for my wife and one teen who thought it was 'cool.'
    It is time the Church Jesus Christ overcame the disjunctions created by the 16th-century Reformation. What is called for is the 'evangelical catholicism' of John Wesley's 'middle way' in which two historic traditions were synthesized. In this sythesis the English Reformer not only recovered for the Church a viable doctrine of holiness but also pointed the way to a scriptural view and practice of the sacraments that is both apostolic and catholic. ++William Greathouse
    Thanks Greg Farra, David Warren, Sean Dodd - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Sean, welcome to Naznet. I hope you enjoy further participation.

As others have already indicated, when anointing someone for healing, I do so making the sign of the Cross on the forehead of the person being anointed. We do this at practically every Sunday service when during the pastoral prayer time in worship.
    Thanks Sean Dodd - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

yay (aparently just "yay" is too short to post as a response)
    “Martyrs rather than the pastors of megachurches might now become our evangelistic exemplars, and the ‘excellence’ of evangelistic practice’ will be measurable not by numbers but rather by obedience to a crucified God”

- Bryan Stone Evangelism After Christendom
    Laughing Benjamin Hobbs - thanks for this funny post

NazNet Host

Post Thanks / Like

I want to.

Friend,

Wes

Post Thanks / Like

Eric. Do you use it in services?

Host Theology Forum David Graham's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

I make the sign of the cross on the forehead of the person I baptise while saying these words in accordance with long standing Christian tradition: "From this time forth the sign of the cross is upon you". We believe that through baptism we are sealed in a covenant relationship with God through the blood of His Son.

I also make the sign of the cross with oil upon a person I am anointing for healing or commissioning into a position of service such as the consecration of a leader or the ordination of an elder. This is to remind them of the cross of service and sacrifice that they will have to carry in identification with Christ.

I make the sign of the cross at the time of committal during a funeral service to remind people that any hope we have beyond death comes from the death and resurrection of our Lord.

Sometimes at the time of the Benediction I will make the sign of the cross as well, reminding the people of the covenant relationship they have with God in Christ and that they do not journey alone.
    Thanks Greg Farra, John Kennedy - "thanks" for this post

+ Reply to Thread