+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2016-2017 mvp

Post Thanks / Like

2016-2017 mvp

There is a little over a month left in the regular season. At this point, the MVP race is between four individuals:

1. Russell Westbrook
    2. James Harden
    3. LeBron James
    4. Kawhi Leonard

Who do you think the MVP is?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2016-2017 mvp

Statistically it's tough to vote against Westrbrook. What he is doing this year is historic.

Post Thanks / Like

From my understanding, the votes have been cast for MVP, but we won't know for two more months who won. The NBA will now host an awards show on June 26th, and will announce the MVP, along with the winners of other awards.

I'm going to add one more name to the MVP list: Isaiah Thomas of the Boston Celtics. That rounds out my list to a Top 5.

Here is how I think the MVP voting will go:

1. Russell Westbrook
    2. James Harden
    3. LeBron James
    4. Kawhi Leonard
    5. Isaiah Thomas

Here is how I hope it will go:

1. Kawhi Leonard
    2. Isaiah Thomas
    3. Lebron James
    4. James Harden
    5. Russell Westbrook

As Dale stated earlier, it's hard to ignore the statistical output of Russell Westbrook, and the fact that he averaged a triple-double. However, there might not be a bigger ball hog in NBA history. Is it because he is the only option on a bad team, or is it because he wanted to prove that the Thunder didn't need Kevin Durant to win? I don't know...but I do know statistics tell a story.

Check out the top 5 in field goal attempts:
    1. Russell Westbrook • OKC 1941
    2. Andrew Wiggins • MIN 1571
    3. DeMar DeRozan • TOR 1545
    4. James Harden • HOU 1533
    5. Anthony Davis • NOP 1527

Westbrook took almost 400 more shots than the next closest player, yet he only made 22 more shots than Karl-Anthony Towns:

Top 5 in field goals made:
    1. Russell Westbrook • OKC 824
    2. Karl-Anthony Towns • MIN 802
    3. Anthony Davis • NOP 770
    4. LeBron James • CLE 736
    5. DeMar DeRozan • TOR 721

His FG% puts him outside the top 50. Not very efficient for the league's potentially most valuable player.
    Last edited by David Morris; April 20th, 2017 at 12:48 PM. Reason: spelling
    Thanks Jeremy D. Scott, David Troxler - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't paid attention to things outside of Boston as much as others, so I'm certainly no expert on all this.

I have a lot of respect for what Isaiah Thomas has done this year. He's certainly not the MVP, but it's fun to watch him. (And no one around here really thinks he's the MVP, despite what the national media has said from time to time over the last couple of months. The Celtics faithful will chant "MVP" in the Garden, but they all know that he's not really.) To think that a guy four inches shorter than me could do as much as he has done in the NBA this year is phenomenal, and I'm not even really that tall.

If I had to pick who the MVP would be, I think I would go with Harden. He's done a lot with that team in a strong Western Conference.

All that said, Russell Westbrook and Isaiah Thomas will both be out of the play-offs very soon for the same reason: the play-offs are a different ball-game. You have to have more pieces than a flashy scorer. It's one thing to go from city to different city each game of the season and score in a certain way, but the beauty of a seven game series is that it really does allow for the best team to come out on top.

I'm rooting for the Cavs and the Spurs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy D. Scott View Post
    I haven't paid attention to things outside of Boston as much as others, so I'm certainly no expert on all this.

I have a lot of respect for what Isaiah Thomas has done this year. He's certainly not the MVP, but it's fun to watch him. (And no one around here really thinks he's the MVP, despite what the national media has said from time to time over the last couple of months. The Celtics faithful will chant "MVP" in the Garden, but they all know that he's not really.) To think that a guy four inches shorter than me could do as much as he has done in the NBA this year is phenomenal, and I'm not even really that tall.
    I actually think Thomas may deserve more credit than what you are giving him. My criteria for an MVP is threefold:

1. You make those around you better.
    2. You must be the clear-cut leader of your team (whether vocally <LeBron James> or by example <Kawhi Leonard>).
    3. You need to be among the Top 10 players either offensively and/or defensively.
    4. This is a bonus...if you can get it done on both ends of the floor, even better (Kawhi Leonard/Lebron James/Giannis Antetokounmpo)

Isaiah is not a defensive threat, but he easily meets the top three requirements. And yes, what he has done as the shortest player in the league is incredible.

If I had to pick who the MVP would be, I think I would go with Harden. He's done a lot with that team in a strong Western Conference.
    I've heard various comments about Harden/Westbrook/Leonard, and their respective chances given the quality (or lack thereof) of their respective teams.

Some folks want to point to pre-season predictions. "The Rockets weren't expected to be very good, so what Harden has done is incredible." "After KD left, we thought the Thunder were finished, Westbrook has carried the team." "What will the Spurs be able to do in the post-Tim Duncan era?" I think pre-season predictions are worthless. Not suggesting that your comment had anything to do with them, but I do think the Rockets are a good team in the better conference. I'd suggest the Warriors and Spurs are the two great teams.

All that said, Russell Westbrook and Isaiah Thomas will both be out of the play-offs very soon for the same reason: the play-offs are a different ball-game. You have to have more pieces than a flashy scorer. It's one thing to go from city to different city each game of the season and score in a certain way, but the beauty of a seven game series is that it really does allow for the best team to come out on top.
    I agree. I do think the first round is too long, but the strength (and weaknesses) of each team is exhibited in the playoffs. We can see that pretty clearly with the Cavs, who essentially flipped the switch at the end of the regular season. The reality is that the NBA awards show isn't going to interrupt any schedules for Westbrook or Thomas, and I doubt Harden will still be playing then.

I'm rooting for the Cavs and the Spurs.
    Go Spurs Go!

+ Reply to Thread