Quote Originally Posted by Doug Ward View Post
You seem to assume quite a lot about my finances. Probably not a good pursuit. As for benefits from taxes, yes, but that was not the discussion. If you want to have that discussion, we can do it. Thje question is the amount of taxes commonly paid. I might also add the myriad areas where government adds cost to the average person, but it is not a tax. I didn't count these.
I don't think I made any assumptions about your personal finances. You laid out the rates and where they went. I guess I assumed you lived in Illinois based on your profile data, but acknowledge that could be outdated or you might live in Indiana.

But I think you're really missing the point. You latched on to the 20% figure that Benjamin used, but missed the point of why he used it. His example showed the flaw in the argument of "if only we paid less taxes we could give more to the poor." Whether it is 20% or 50% doesn't really matter - the point is that today, the government takes some money and spends it on things. We all like the idea of paying less taxes, but we're not so high on the idea of either 1) losing the various benefits we receive, or 2) having to give the money we save to others.

If your tax rate went from 50% to 20%, would you give the savings to poor? Maybe you would, and kudos. I fear that I wouldn't. And I'm confident that the majority of Americans would not. So, I begrudgingly pay the % that I pay, but take some solace in believing that more good is being done under this system than would be done in any realistic alternative.