+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Family Christian stores out of business

Post Thanks / Like

Family Christian stores out of business

If you hadn't heard Family Christian bookstores is going out of business. I had a few of these around me growing up.

I know that some are disappointed but I'm actually happy they're going. I went in two of them yesterday and today to see what was left, not much. Plenty of NKJVs, ESVs and HCSBs left as well as the largest collection of Hagee, TD Jakes and David Jeremiah books I've see at any one time.

Time will tell if they will really be gone from the area or if Lifeway will start springing up....
    It is time the Church Jesus Christ overcame the disjunctions created by the 16th-century Reformation. What is called for is the 'evangelical catholicism' of John Wesley's 'middle way' in which two historic traditions were synthesized. In this sythesis the English Reformer not only recovered for the Church a viable doctrine of holiness but also pointed the way to a scriptural view and practice of the sacraments that is both apostolic and catholic. ++William Greathouse

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Family Christian stores out of business

I haven't really shopped there in years. Bad selection and high prices.
    “So there are no nontheologians; there is just good theology and bad theology.”- Will Willimon

Post Thanks / Like

For the last four to five years, the owners committed 100% of the company's profits to funds assisting widows and orphans. That's admirable, and might be one of the reasons they went out of business.
    Thanks Jim Chabot, Gina Stevenson - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Hobbs View Post
    If you hadn't heard Family Christian bookstores is going out of business. I had a few of these around me growing up.

I know that some are disappointed but I'm actually happy they're going. I went in two of them yesterday and today to see what was left, not much. Plenty of NKJVs, ESVs and HCSBs left as well as the largest collection of Hagee, TD Jakes and David Jeremiah books I've see at any one time.

Time will tell if they will really be gone from the area or if Lifeway will start springing up....
    Brick and mortar bookstores are obsolete. I suspect that Lifeway is little more than a beneficiary of market consolidation. It will look good for a time and then will succumb to the fate of other failed Christian bookstores.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us wthout end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
    - C.S. Lewis
    Thanks Craig Laughlin, David Graham - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Morris View Post
    For the last four to five years, the owners committed 100% of the company's profits to funds assisting widows and orphans. That's admirable, and might be one of the reasons they went out of business.
    Haha, the only thing worse than running a church like it's a business is to run a business like it's a church.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us wthout end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
    - C.S. Lewis

Post Thanks / Like

I worked for the company almost 10 years, including almost 4 years as the manager of one of their better producing stores. While I left almost 14 years ago, my daughter continued to work for them till about 2 years ago. While I have my personal opinion on some of the many factors that led to this decision, I can tell you that on-line competition was simply the final nail in the coffin. I will not go into details as I have too many friends on FB who worked for the company and have poured their heart and soul into it. To say it was due to their donation to charities alone or online competition alone is too simplistic.
    Thanks Jim Chabot, Gina Stevenson, Mike Schutz - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Evans View Post
    I worked for the company almost 10 years, including almost 4 years as the manager of one of their better producing stores. While I left almost 14 years ago, my daughter continued to work for them till about 2 years ago. While I have my personal opinion on some of the many factors that led to this decision, I can tell you that on-line competition was simply the final nail in the coffin. I will not go into details as I have too many friends on FB who worked for the company and have poured their heart and soul into it. To say it was due to their donation to charities alone or online competition alone is too simplistic.
    Businesses cease to exist for one simple reason - they run out of money.

The reasons that a business runs out of money are typically numerous and complicated; especially if the business has been around for many years.
    - C.S. Lewis

Host Theology Forum David Graham's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Just a question.....

I know of some churches that have a "Book Stand" for a major Christian book supplier in my country (either Koorong or Word) and sell a limited range of books on behalf of those companies and take a small commission for doing so.

Is this a common practice elsewhere and is it beneficial for people in the pew?
    (Curious?)

One problem I potentially see with this is; who decides what genre of books is on display?
    Thoughts?

Assistant Site Administrator/Forum Host Kevin Rector's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Cox View Post
    Brick and mortar bookstores are obsolete.
    I'm not sure they are completely. Books-A-Million (BAM) just opened a fairly large brand new store in our town. Not sure they'd invest in that if they weren't making money selling books in their brick & mortar bookstores (they operate over 260 stores in 32 states).
    God is really good.
    Thanks Gina Stevenson, Billy Cox - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rector View Post
    I'm not sure they are completely. Books-A-Million (BAM) just opened a fairly large brand new store in our town. Not sure they'd invest in that if they weren't making money selling books in their brick & mortar bookstores (they operate over 260 stores in 32 states).
    There is certainly a significant amount of pushback. A lot of people that I know say they like to hold and smell an actual book, not a device. For myself, I am unlikely to read anything anymore unless I can get it for Kindle.
    StrengthsFinder Top 5: Input ---------- Intellection ---------- Connectedness ---------- Context ---------- Belief

Myers-Briggs Type: Introversion ---------- Intuition ---------- Feeling ---------- Perception (INFP)

My Website & Blog: alucasfinch.net

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Finch View Post
    There is certainly a significant amount of pushback. A lot of people that I know say they like to hold and smell an actual book, not a device. For myself, I am unlikely to read anything anymore unless I can get it for Kindle.
    Me too for a long time but I'll admit I'm starting to do a little more of the old fashion print. When I read books with people (staff), a real book is a lot easier.
    It is not enough to be right, you have to be like Jesus.

Strength Finders - Futuristic, Strategic, Self Assurance, Individualization, Ideation
    Meyer's Brigs - ENTP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rector View Post
    Yet BAM just went out of business here in the KC area last year.
    Maybe Arkies read more than Kansas folk?

BILL
    Laughing Billy Cox - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Finch View Post
    But so much of the important cutting edge stuff people like me read (e.g. books on wing venation in Diptera, mating strategies in Orthoptera, etc.) isn't available on Kindle: only sold from old musty bookstores.
    And.....have you ever tried to smell a Kindle?

BILL
    Laughing David Morris, Craig Laughlin, John Kennedy, Gina Stevenson - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Morrison View Post
    Yet BAM just went out of business here in the KC area last year.
    Maybe Arkies read more than Kansas folk?

BILL
    Well, besides tending the animals, Noah and his clan did have a lot of extra time on their hands while waiting out the storm. so reading was likely a favorite past time.
    Laughing Bill Morrison, Gina Stevenson - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

Comparing and evaluating curricula is nearly impossible without physical samples. It is one of my biggest frustrations trying to navigate the CE side of children and youth ministry.
    “Martyrs rather than the pastors of megachurches might now become our evangelistic exemplars, and the ‘excellence’ of evangelistic practice’ will be measurable not by numbers but rather by obedience to a crucified God”

- Bryan Stone Evangelism After Christendom
    Thanks Gina Stevenson - "thanks" for this post

Host Fun & Prayer forums Gina Stevenson's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Probably didn't help much to keep them in business. Would watch for their $5 specials, mostly; some of them made nice inexpensive gifts foe low-income folks to buy.
    Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one. ~ Stella Adler
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    It takes a great deal of maturity to accept that trying to eliminate all risk eliminates life. ~ Susan Lapin ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    His anger lasts only a moment, but His favor lasts a lifetime! Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning. Psalm 30:5 (NLT)

+ Reply to Thread