+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dad's Tribute to Calvary

Post Thanks / Like

Dad's Tribute to Calvary

My dad was a Nazarene pastor. He died in 1991. Not long after his passing I was reading through his hand-written sermon manuscripts and found this:

DAD'S TRIBUTE TO MOUNT CALVARY

Mount Calvary is the tallest, brightest, most glorious mountain peak in all of world history. The Prophets of the Old Testament pointed forward to Calvary. All the apostles in the New Testament pointed backwards to Calvary. All the bleary eyed devils in hell point upwards to Calvary. All the glorified saints and angels in heaven point downward to Calvary. For Calvary is the center of God's spiritual universe.

Yet Calvary itself was no better than that little slanting hill here on Oak Street UNTIL the blood of the world's redeemer lifted Calvary from the lowlands to the highlands and made it forever the most talked about mountain peak in the world's history.

Calvary is the meeting place between God and man. Calvary is the weeping place for sin. Calvary is the birthplace of hope. Calvary is the resting place of faith. Calvary is the hiding place from judgement. Calvary is the starting place for heaven. Calvary is the hope and only hope for this broken world. Calvary is something more than just a historical place. Calvary is enjoyable, singable, shoutable, have-able. At Calvary our hearts our regenerated. At Calvary the new man is created and the old man is cremated. O' friend, have you been to Calvary? I say, Thank God for Calvary!
    "But by the grace of God I am what I am." (1 Cor. 15:10)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dad's Tribute to Calvary

Sounds a lot like what my pastor dad might have said and he retired from pastoral ministry in 1953. Praise the Lord for Calvary.
    Thanks Wilson Deaton, David Graham - "thanks" for this post

Host Fun & Prayer forums Marg Shurtliff's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Wilson , thanks for sharing . My pastor doesn't read NazNet but I send him things I am pretty sure he'd like . I'm sure there 'd be more than I actually send . Anyway , sent your dad's thoughts about Calvary and he replied back that he is going to find a way to slip it in . He usually has things so planned you have to wait till next year to use but in this case he was so taken with it , he wants to use it right away . That says a lot .
    Marg
    Thanks Wilson Deaton, David Graham, Gina Stevenson - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent - thanks, Wilson. What was your dad's first name? I'd like to properly credit the poem.
    Achiever - Learner -Context - Intellection - Input

Visit my theology weblog at: gregorycrofford.com
    Amazon author page: https://amazon.com/author/jgregorycrofford
    Facebook: Greg Crofford
    Twitter: @africasojourner
    Thanks Wilson Deaton - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Crofford View Post
    Excellent - thanks, Wilson. What was your dad's first name? I'd like to properly credit the poem.
    Wilson!

(I have a middle name and he didn't.)

Wilson
    "But by the grace of God I am what I am." (1 Cor. 15:10)
    Thanks Marg Shurtliff, Gina Stevenson - "thanks" for this post

+ Reply to Thread