+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone else's church redo their network recently?

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone else's church redo their network recently?

Hey everyone, I haven't been on in a while but since then I've become the Network Admin (read: a novice with some knowledge of network administration) at Hillside Church (formerly called Kent Naz). Our new Associate Pastor is looking to overhaul the entire network setup. Full on Internet of Things, Connected Apps, Wifi throughout the church. Which is okay with me because the entire setup is, quite frankly, a mess. We just keep adding more and more on top of it and we don't have a solid diagram of how the network is setup anymore.

Hiring out will of course cost boat loads of money and we want see how much we can do in-house. Has anyone recently gone through this?
    Last edited by Shawn Potter; April 16th, 2017 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Grammar

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone else's church redo their network recently?

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Potter View Post
    Hey everyone, I haven't been on in a while but since then I've become the Network Admin (read: a novice with some knowledge of network administration) at Hillside Church (formerly called Kent Naz). Our new Associate Pastor is looking to overhaul the entire network setup. Full on Internet of Things, Connected Apps, Wifi throughout the church. Which is okay with me because the entire setup is, quite frankly, a mess. We just keep adding more and more on top of it and we don't have a solid diagram of how the network is setup anymore.

Hiring out will of course cost boat loads of money and we want see how much we can do in-house. Has anyone recently gone through this?
    I've gone through the "adding more and more on top of it" which is why I would recommend hiring out.

I'm curious what your specific end goal is. IoT and connected apps are just buzzwords so without a specific end goal in mind, I would ignore those things and focus on infrastructure. When our church was built ~10 years ago, they skimped on infrastructure and ran coax everywhere. I've been pushing running dual cat5/cat6 throughout so we can stream video throughout the building.
    "Neither holiness nor love is Christian without the other...Love without holiness disintegrates into sentimentality. Personal integrity is lost. But holiness without love is not holiness at all. In spite of its label, it displays harshness, judgmentalism, a critical spirit, and all its capacity for discrimination ends in nitpicking and divisiveness." - MBW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Troxler View Post
    I've gone through the "adding more and more on top of it" which is why I would recommend hiring out.

I'm curious what your specific end goal is. IoT and connected apps are just buzzwords so without a specific end goal in mind, I would ignore those things and focus on infrastructure. When our church was built ~10 years ago, they skimped on infrastructure and ran coax everywhere. I've been pushing running dual cat5/cat6 throughout so we can stream video throughout the building.
    Server access from anywhere in the church, Strong wifi coverage all over the church, Logging children for the Children's department, putting the financial data on the server completely, and actually implementing network security just to name a few things. There may have been some other ideas floating around like alerting parents by phone if they need to come to the daycare but I'd have to ask for more specifics. I think this is going to end with us hiring someone to get a good chunk set up and then doing the rest in-house.
    Thanks Tim Troxler - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Potter View Post
    Server access from anywhere in the church, Strong wifi coverage all over the church, Logging children for the Children's department, putting the financial data on the server completely, and actually implementing network security just to name a few things. There may have been some other ideas floating around like alerting parents by phone if they need to come to the daycare but I'd have to ask for more specifics. I think this is going to end with us hiring someone to get a good chunk set up and then doing the rest in-house.
    I'd get pros to setup the wifi and network security. If the wifi's in place, then I think you can handle each department bit by bit.

One thing people often forget is a backup plan. Sounds like that server plays a central role in your setup so I'd be backing that up at the very least.
    "Neither holiness nor love is Christian without the other...Love without holiness disintegrates into sentimentality. Personal integrity is lost. But holiness without love is not holiness at all. In spite of its label, it displays harshness, judgmentalism, a critical spirit, and all its capacity for discrimination ends in nitpicking and divisiveness." - MBW

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, after I was approached and asked to think about the idea doing Offsite backup was one of the first things that came to mind if there's ever a fire or some other disaster.

+ Reply to Thread