Linda and I just returned from our "big hike" from Cusco to Machu Picchu in Peru. It was a great hike with good friends.

While we were in Peru, we thought we would connect with the Church of the Nazarene in Cusco. There was a story in Engage Magazine about a project sponsored in Cusco, Peru called "The Meeting Place." It was a local restaurant/coffee house where Nazarenes were engaged in outreach ministries. Here is a link to the article: http://engagemagazine.com/content/re...ets-needs-peru

We made the effort to go to The Meeting Place, but were disappointed to learn that it is now under different ownership. The Church of the Nazarene is no longer involved. I don't know whether the change is an indication that the project was a failure or if the people involved just decided to place their efforts elsewhere.

I would observe that this result seems typical of my past observations -- When a business attempts to be a "ministry" it is usually not successful at either. It may be that a ministry can be a successful business (consider Joel Osteen). I have not seen a business operate as a successful ministry. It is true that my own businesses have provided significant funds to ministry, but I have never confused business with ministry. They are two different kinds of activity.