+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New DS for Norcal elected, but...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New DS for Norcal elected, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson Deaton View Post
    May I ask what kind of investments we are talking about? Is the district leasing out valuable properties? I'm curious as to what kind of assets a district would have that would generate that kind of investment income.

Wilson
    The Sunnyvale property was sold a few years ago. It's minutes from Google, Apple, etc. (Cupertino). I imagine that this is part of it.
    Thanks Rich Schmidt, Greg Gates - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Gates View Post
    I do know that anyone who has ever been in Texas longer than a short layover was disqualified.
    Hey Greg...I couldn't tell if this was sarcasm or true.. If true, what would be the reasoning behind it?

Post Thanks / Like

May I ask what kind of investments we are talking about? Is the district leasing out valuable properties? I'm curious as to what kind of assets a district would have that would generate that kind of investment income.

Wilson
    The majority ($8+ million) came from the sale of a property in the town where I live, Sunnyvale. The story we are told is that the Sunnyvale congregation had dwindled to a point where it was not going to come back. A developer made an offer and the church was closed and sold.
    Thanks Wilson Deaton - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bentley View Post
    "I do know that anyone who has ever been in Texas longer than a short layover was disqualified."

Hey Greg...I couldn't tell if this was sarcasm or true.. If true, what would be the reasoning behind it?
    That was a joke.

Post Thanks / Like

That was a joke.
    I knew it was a joke. Anyone who has lived in Texas would never leave Texas for California!
    Thanks Wes Smith - "thanks" for this post
    Laughing Wes Smith, David Parker, Greg Gates - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Messer View Post
    I knew it was a joke. Anyone who has lived in Texas would never leave Texas for California!
    I agree. I was in Houston a couple weeks ago and couldn't believe the housing prices. Beautiful houses in the $100 sq ft range. Our houses cost 10X that. Delicious Bar-B-Q everywhere I went. But I think it would be rough for a pastor with all the competing monster churches around. I'd heard jokes that there was a church on every corner. That's not the full truth. There are also churches between the ones on the corners. It would be nice to have fewer Planned Parenthood clinics around. Lots of advantages, but... I still wouldn't want to trade living in the center of the world for any where else.
    Thanks Glenn Messer - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I still wouldn't want to trade living in the center of the world for any where else.
    Didn't realize that you had moved back to Maine! Are you back in the Lewiston/Auburn area?
    -Jim

To know and to serve God, of course, is why we're here, a clear truth, that, like the nose on your face, is near at hand and easily discernible but can make you dizzy if you try to focus on it hard. But a little faith will see you through.

Garrison Keillor
    Laughing Rich Schmidt, Gina Stevenson, Wes Smith, Greg Gates, Glenn Messer - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Messer View Post
    That's exactly what Scott Daniels did.

Post Thanks / Like

Electing someone and then telling the assembly to not tell anyone may be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Easy way to figure out who was elected: what likely candidate wasn't at their church last Sunday?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Foltz View Post
    Electing someone and then telling the assembly to not tell anyone may be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Easy way to figure out who was elected: what likely candidate wasn't at their church last Sunday?
    Based on what Greg has said so far in this thread, I think we'd have trouble knowing who the "likely candidates" are. Personally, I'm content to wait and find out in a few days.

Post Thanks / Like

I would tend to agree that the expectation of a veil of secrecy in today's world isn't realistic, but given that the name hasn't been leaked (at least on NazNet), it sounds like it's working.

Making guesses based on who wasn't at their church last Sunday doesn't really work, either. My district's current DS was elected from a distance. The DAC presented the candidate they were recommending and his qualifications, and a vote was taken. He was something like 2000 miles away from us at the time. I do the tech work for our Assemblies, so I was given his name and phone number the evening before, with a stern warning NOT to leak it from Dr. Porter, enabling me to set up a Skype call with him should the election pass. So that was our first actual interaction with him (other than those on the search committee and DAC).
    StrengthsFinder Top 5: Input ---------- Intellection ---------- Connectedness ---------- Context ---------- Belief

Myers-Briggs Type: Introversion ---------- Intuition ---------- Feeling ---------- Perception (INFP)

My Website & Blog: alucasfinch.net
    Thanks Rich Schmidt, Gina Stevenson - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't at my church last Sunday. This plays exactly into post #25 in this thread.
    "Neither holiness nor love is Christian without the other...Love without holiness disintegrates into sentimentality. Personal integrity is lost. But holiness without love is not holiness at all. In spite of its label, it displays harshness, judgmentalism, a critical spirit, and all its capacity for discrimination ends in nitpicking and divisiveness." - MBW
    Thanks Greg Gates - "thanks" for this post
    Laughing Lucas Finch, Gina Stevenson, David Troxler - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Finch View Post
    I would tend to agree that the expectation of a veil of secrecy in today's world isn't realistic, but given that the name hasn't been leaked (at least on NazNet), it sounds like it's working.
    If people accept the rationale for secrecy and don't think of it as just a head-game, they will generally keep the secret. The takeaway: if you want to invoke secrecy, make sure that there is a compelling reason for it.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us wthout end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
    - C.S. Lewis

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Cox View Post
    If people accept the rationale for secrecy and don't think of it as just a head-game, they will generally keep the secret. The takeaway: if you want to invoke secrecy, make sure that there is a compelling reason for it.
    Agreed. And I find this particular reason compelling enough that, if I knew the name, I'd keep my mouth shut. Let the pastor (did Greg say it's a pastor?) break the news to their own church themselves, rather than have church members read about it online.
    Thanks Jim Chabot, Lucas Finch, Gina Stevenson - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Schmidt View Post
    Agreed. And I find this particular reason compelling enough that, if I knew the name, I'd keep my mouth shut. Let the pastor (did Greg say it's a pastor?) break the news to their own church themselves, rather than have church members read about it online.
    I may or may not know the name, and if I do when I found out I may or may not have looked the persion up because I may or may not have heard of him or her. I'll confess, though, that I am not above leaking. It is just that if I do know the name, nobody has offered me enough cash to leak it.
    StrengthsFinder Top 5: Input ---------- Intellection ---------- Connectedness ---------- Context ---------- Belief

Myers-Briggs Type: Introversion ---------- Intuition ---------- Feeling ---------- Perception (INFP)

Thanks Eric Frey - "thanks" for this post
    Laughing Rich Schmidt, Craig Laughlin, Gina Stevenson - thanks for this funny post

Host Book, Movie & GA forums Ryan Scott's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure Greg said the new DS was NOT at their assembly, so that one would be tough.
    ...just my $.02.

Post Thanks / Like

Nazarenes are terrible at keeping secrets. And it is quite a sad commentary that a persons election cannot be celebrated but must be kept secret this long.
    “Martyrs rather than the pastors of megachurches might now become our evangelistic exemplars, and the ‘excellence’ of evangelistic practice’ will be measurable not by numbers but rather by obedience to a crucified God”

- Bryan Stone Evangelism After Christendom
    Thanks Kevin Timpe - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Scott View Post
    I'm pretty sure Greg said the new DS was NOT at their assembly, so that one would be tough.
    I only know of who the rumored person was.

Post Thanks / Like

I only know of who the rumored person was.
    I know who it is, but I'm not sure if s/he was at home this weekend or not.

Where were you, Joe?
    ...just my $.02.

Post Thanks / Like

Preaching in my assignment.

I actually just realixed today that there's no lower age limit for district superintendents like there is for generals, so I am eligible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Finch View Post
    I may or may not know the name, and if I do when I found out I may or may not have looked the persion up because I may or may not have heard of him or her. I'll confess, though, that I am not above leaking. It is just that if I do know the name, nobody has offered me enough cash to leak it.
    "Neither holiness nor love is Christian without the other...Love without holiness disintegrates into sentimentality. Personal integrity is lost. But holiness without love is not holiness at all. In spite of its label, it displays harshness, judgmentalism, a critical spirit, and all its capacity for discrimination ends in nitpicking and divisiveness." - MBW
    Laughing Lucas Finch, Gina Stevenson - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

Preaching in my assignment.

I actually just realixed today that there's no lower age limit for district superintendents like there is for generals, so I am eligible.
    It is somewhat surprising that we don't have a minimum age for DS, yet we do for GS.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Flowers View Post
    It is somewhat surprising that we don't have a minimum age for DS, yet we do for GS.
    Anyone know what the record is for youngest Nazarene DS?

I would consider Lyle Eckley to be in the running. He was DS of the (then) New York District in 1942. Aged 32 I think.
    The ministry of Dr. Eckley (who was Chuck Millhuff's father-in-law) was important to me since my Dad was saved at a Nebraska District teen camp back in the 40's when Dr. Eckley was the evangelist.

I had an interesting conversation with Dr. Eckley at Olathe College Church about 15 years ago. When he found out I was an Olivet grad and Biology major, he told me he too had been a science student at Olivet in the 1930's, but upon feeling the call to preach had sold all of his science books. A wonderful man who continued to minister at nursing homes until I think he was well into his nineties.

BILL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Frey View Post
    Nazarenes are terrible at keeping secrets. And it is quite a sad commentary that a persons election cannot be celebrated but must be kept secret this long.
    Two weeks? What's sad about giving the person two weeks to talk about it with their friends, congregation, etc, before it gets publicized?
    Thanks Jim Chabot - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Does keeping this secret turn the Norcal district into an oath-bound secret order?

Post Thanks / Like

The new Norcal DS asked it to be kept a secret until the Sunday after Mother's Day. Can you imagine announcing your "departure" on Mother's Day when you have a ton of guests and all the attention is supposed to be on moms? Anything that takes attention away from them on their one day is not of God. Just saying.

Post Thanks / Like

I love my mother. I love the mother of my child. I have attended Mother's Day services where I came away wondering who was being worshiped.
    Thanks Rich Schmidt, David Troxler - "thanks" for this post
    Laughing Greg Gates - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

The new Norcal DS asked it to be kept a secret until the Sunday after Mother's Day. Can you imagine announcing your "departure" on Mother's Day when you have a ton of guests and all the attention is supposed to be on moms? Anything that takes attention away from them on their one day is not of God. Just saying.
    I wouldn't figure mother's day would have a real impact on worship one way or another. Do you talk about Mother's Day during the service?
    ...just my $.02.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't figure mother's day would have a real impact on worship one way or another. Do you talk about Mother's Day during the service?
    For us it has a big impact on worship. We have a lot of guests and our members work hard to make sure it is a happy day for them. It's not a high attendance day for you?
    Thanks David Troxler, Jim Chabot - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

For us it has a big impact on worship. We have a lot of guests and our members work hard to make sure it is a happy day for them. It's not a high attendance day for you?
    I mean, definitely people show up to worship with their mom - I guess you were focusing more on having guests where I was thinking about Mother's Day being a cultural holiday that doesn't really impact the service. I get the numbers part - like pastors not wanting to be gone the week after Easter in case visitors come back. That makes sense.
    ...just my $.02.

Post Thanks / Like

Mother's Day: When we're okay with making family an idol.

Post Thanks / Like

Fathers Day and Mothers Day: Given the 5th Commandment, we worship God by honoring fathers and mothers.

By the way, I believe that the Hebrew culture would have expected the command to honor fathers but that the mother part was probably a big surprise and somewhat radical. It was another great stride for feminism.

Wilson
    "But by the grace of God I am what I am." (1 Cor. 15:10)
    Thanks Lucas Finch, Bill Evans, Jim Chabot, Charlene Clevenger - "thanks" for this post
    Laughing David Troxler, Jim Chabot - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

I mean, definitely people show up to worship with their mom - I guess you were focusing more on having guests where I was thinking about Mother's Day being a cultural holiday that doesn't really impact the service. I get the numbers part - like pastors not wanting to be gone the week after Easter in case visitors come back. That makes sense.
    For many churches that place a high emphasis on inviting unchurched guests to the Sunday morning services, Mother's Day is one of the "big days" for extending those invitations. It's easily #3 on the list behind Christmas and Easter in terms of the numbers of visitors attending... and I remember hearing at least one pastor say that Mother's Day is #2 or #1 for their church.

That doesn't mean they turn their service that day into mom-worship or idolize the family. (Though perhaps some do.). But it definitely impacts what they do in the service. I can certainly understand a pastor not wanting to announce that they're leaving on that day.

Side note: I mentioned the 5th Commandment this past Sunday and the importance of honoring our parents... but more of the message focused on how Jesus redefines family as centered around himself and even says that we're not worthy to be called his disciples if we don't hate our families. Fun times!
    Thanks Lucas Finch, Jim Chabot - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, what are folks doing out there?
    It is not enough to be right, you have to be like Jesus.

Strength Finders - Futuristic, Strategic, Self Assurance, Individualization, Ideation
    Meyer's Brigs - ENTP

Post Thanks / Like

Fathers Day and Mothers Day: Given the 5th Commandment, we worship God by honoring fathers and mothers.

By the way, I believe that the Hebrew culture would have expected the command to honor fathers but that the mother part was probably a big surprise and somewhat radical. It was another great stride for feminism.

Wilson
    "......another great stride for feminism" and candy, flowers, and greeting cards.
    Laughing Marsha Lynn - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

So it is the Sunday after Mothers Day (known in the Christian world as the 6th Sunday of Easter). Is the jury still hung or can we say the name now?
    “Martyrs rather than the pastors of megachurches might now become our evangelistic exemplars, and the ‘excellence’ of evangelistic practice’ will be measurable not by numbers but rather by obedience to a crucified God”

- Bryan Stone Evangelism After Christendom
    Thanks Wilson Deaton, Marsha Lynn - "thanks" for this post
    Laughing Jeremy D. Scott - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

So it is the Sunday after Mothers Day (known in the Christian world as the 6th Sunday of Easter). Is the jury still hung or can we say the name now?
    He whose name cannot be uttered?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Kennedy View Post
    He whose name cannot be uttered?
    Voldemort? That'd be a scary DS.

Laughing John Kennedy - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

I see what you did there.
    ...just my $.02.

NazNet Host

Post Thanks / Like

All seriousnessosity aside...

Walking through the woods the other day and came across the skeleton of an opossum. Normally, I would just walk on by.

This time, instead, I bent down gathered up all the bones and carried them to a sandy area on the banks of a cool and pungent creek.

I jigged 4 times to the right and then 7 times to the left before scattering the bones on the sand before me.

What to my wondering eyes should appear, but the name...Jerry Porter.

Amazing how that works.

Friend,

Wes
    Laughing Jim Chabot, Gina Stevenson, Charlene Clevenger - thanks for this funny post

+ Reply to Thread