+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New DS for Norcal elected, but...

Post Thanks / Like

New DS for Norcal elected, but...

We nearly unanimously elected a new DS for Northern California last Friday. Personally I could not be more thrilled with him or her. I hardly slept Wednesday night fearing the possibilities. Then on Thursday I overheard some DAB members talking and got the name, googled him or her and I slept very very well.

The person is of yet unnamed because it was cool when Nampa did that to Paznaz so we want to be cool too.

Another reason is because it was requested by him or her that we not announce it for a couple of weeks.

While I am great at keeping secrets, just so you know, I can also be bought fairly cheaply.
    Laughing Susan Unger, Gina Stevenson, Peggy Gray - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New DS for Norcal elected, but...

Pictures from the District Assembly

District Assembly pics

2017 Ordination
    Thanks Charlene Clevenger - "thanks" for this post

Host Fun & Prayer forums Gina Stevenson's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

"Bought," eh, Greg? Perhaps by an In 'n' Out burger, followed up by a delectable Coldstone Creamery mixer?

Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one. ~ Stella Adler
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    It takes a great deal of maturity to accept that trying to eliminate all risk eliminates life. ~ Susan Lapin ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    His anger lasts only a moment, but His favor lasts a lifetime! Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning. Psalm 30:5 (NLT)
    Thanks Greg Gates, Tammy Condon - "thanks" for this post

Host Book, Movie & GA forums Ryan Scott's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I'm confused, if it was an election in the District Assembly, that's public. You're telling us that no one in the room is going to share the vote? Or is it that the DAB selected the name that will be presented?
    ...just my $.02.
    Thanks David Troxler, Mike Schutz - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Scott View Post
    I guess I'm confused, if it was an election in the District Assembly, that's public. You're telling us that no one in the room is going to share the vote? Or is it that the DAB selected the name that will be presented?
    <sarcasm>I'm assuming that they voted on a DS without being given a name in order to keep it secret. Normally that's problematic but with the prevalence of one-name ballots these days it really doesn't make a difference.</sarcasm>
    "Neither holiness nor love is Christian without the other...Love without holiness disintegrates into sentimentality. Personal integrity is lost. But holiness without love is not holiness at all. In spite of its label, it displays harshness, judgmentalism, a critical spirit, and all its capacity for discrimination ends in nitpicking and divisiveness." - MBW
    Laughing Wilson Deaton, Gina Stevenson, Jim Chabot, Billy Cox - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

They presented the name, a bio, pictures, and a video (unrelated to the district assembly). The person elected was not present. The GS asked everyone to not mention the name, especially on social media, until after May 21. And there are rumors of more developments after that date too. Stay tuned.
    Thanks Bill Morrison, Tammy Condon - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm impressed with the transparency of this process!
    Laughing Lucas Finch, Benjamin Hobbs, Billy Cox, David Warren - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bourland View Post
    Then you would love this district!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bourland View Post
    Maybe it's a social experiment to test whether a room full of people can keep a juicy secret - not that I care, except to the extent that these things telegraph an utter cluelessness about how institutional secrecy plays in the 21st century mindset.

Additionally, those who are in the know seem to take perverse joy as they broadcast how 'in the know' they are. Present company included.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us wthout end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
    - C.S. Lewis
    Laughing Mike Schutz, David Troxler, Gina Stevenson, David Warren - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

In other district assembly news, our district finances are unlike any I have heard of before. The district superintendents office received more money (2x+) from investments than they did from budgets.

Here's something that confuses me. Last year the district superintendent offered any church that started any outreach effort the chance to reduce their district budget by 2%. On our district we pay 5% so that would be a considerable savings and a potential loss in district income of 40%. But as fate would have it, hardly any churches took up the offer. Instead of a loss, the district received more money from the churches than the year before. Of the pastors I've asked about this, I'm the only one that didn't send in the 2%. Their reasons are not clear to me, but included they were unsure that they would have qualified for the savings and they were worried that the district wouldn't have enough money to operate. Obviously they need not have worried about that one.
    Thanks Rich Schmidt, Wilson Deaton - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I guess if the district has investments that bring in more than from budgets then they can afford to offer a 2% reduction on a church's budget.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Gates View Post
    In other district assembly news, our district finances are unlike any I have heard of before. The district superintendents office received more money (2x+) from investments than they did from budgets.

Here's something that confuses me. Last year the district superintendent offered any church that started any outreach effort the chance to reduce their district budget by 2%. On our district we pay 5% so that would be a considerable savings and a potential loss in district income of 40%. But as fate would have it, hardly any churches took up the offer. Instead of a loss, the district received more money from the churches than the year before. Of the pastors I've asked about this, I'm the only one that didn't send in the 2%. Their reasons are not clear to me, but included they were unsure that they would have qualified for the savings and they were worried that the district wouldn't have enough money to operate. Obviously they need not have worried about that one.
    Just another reason why running a business like a church would be a good way to go out of business.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us wthout end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
    - C.S. Lewis

Post Thanks / Like

First, congrats on finding a new DS, especially one that you're happy with!

I do have a question about your district finances...

How much is your district spending? If the district gets 5% from the churches and more than twice that from investments... then if the investments were gone, they're spending enough to need... 15% or more from the churches? Is that right? Or are you saying that the investments are growing by that much, but the district isn't spending it? You described it as the district office receiving the money, which makes me think they're spending it...

What a blessing for your district to have those investments! I'm glad they're using it to try to incentivize outreach!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Schmidt View Post

How much is your district spending? If the district gets 5% from the churches and more than twice that from investments... then if the investments were gone, they're spending enough to need... 15% or more from the churches? Is that right? Or are you saying that the investments are growing by that much, but the district isn't spending it? You described it as the district office receiving the money, which makes me think they're spending it...

What a blessing for your district to have those investments! I'm glad they're using it to try to incentivize outreach!
    Haha, but apparently tax breaks weren't a sufficient incentive to promote the desired behavior. I just shake my head, because 'outreach' can be almost anything, and if the incentive is based only on activity and good intentions, it doesn't even have to produce any meaningful outcomes. How much easier could it be?
    - C.S. Lewis

Post Thanks / Like

They presented the name, a bio, pictures, and a video (unrelated to the district assembly). The person elected was not present. The GS asked everyone to not mention the name, especially on social media, until after May 21. And there are rumors of more developments after that date too. Stay tuned.
    Obviously the delay in announcing is in case Maine elects that individual this week during its assembly and then the candidate would go there instead.

Site Manager G R 'Scott' Cundiff's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, okay - I promise I'll make my decision and let the district know shortly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G R 'Scott' Cundiff View Post
    Okay, okay - I promise I'll make my decision and let the district know shortly.
    Norcal isn't *that* desperate are they?
    - C.S. Lewis
    Laughing G R 'Scott' Cundiff, Lucas Finch, Gina Stevenson - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

I feel like we should just start throwing out random names. Eventually one of us will get it right.
    ...just my $.02.
    Laughing Greg Gates, Gina Stevenson - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

I feel like we should just start throwing out random names. Eventually one of us will get it right.
    I wondered if his comment about Nampa taking someone from PazNaz few years ago was a hint. Not that I'm throwing out names or have any sort of information. I'm pretty sure it's Billy Cox.
    StrengthsFinder Top 5: Input ---------- Intellection ---------- Connectedness ---------- Context ---------- Belief

Myers-Briggs Type: Introversion ---------- Intuition ---------- Feeling ---------- Perception (INFP)

My Website & Blog: alucasfinch.net

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Finch View Post
    I wondered if his comment about Nampa taking someone from PazNaz few years ago was a hint. Not that I'm throwing out names or have any sort of information. I'm pretty sure it's Billy Cox.
    I think it's Rob Prince. He's both plausible and can take a joke.
    ...just my $.02.

Post Thanks / Like

My first act as Norcal DS will be to ban the Comic Sans MS font in all church publications and require that hymns be sung in their entirety - no skipping of verse 3(!). My second act will be to sublease the district office to a Korean BBQ restaurant and declare it a multicultural ministry center. My third act will be to incite district hooligans to carry out random acts of vandalism on those rascals in the wannabe district called Anaheim.

In my first 100 days as DS, I will undo everything that my predecessor held dear and cozy up to all sorts of unsavory characters/organizations that give Lenexa heartburn and night terrors. Just don't ask me about Vladimir Putin or how many family members I have on the district payroll.
    - C.S. Lewis

Post Thanks / Like

I guarantee no one would ever guess it. Ever.

If you find out before Sunday, please do not pass it along.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Cox View Post
    require that hymns be sung in their entirety - no skipping of verse 3(!).
    )
    My Dad once had a song leader who said he wouldn't treat an "ol yaller, stray dog the way some people treat the 3rd verse of a hymn."

Post Thanks / Like

My first act as Norcal DS will be to ban the Comic Sans MS font in all church publications and require that hymns be sung in their entirety - no skipping of verse 3(!). My second act will be to sublease the district office to a Korean BBQ restaurant and declare it a multicultural ministry center. My third act will be to incite district hooligans to carry out random acts of vandalism on those rascals in the wannabe district called Anaheim.

In my first 100 days as DS, I will undo everything that my predecessor held dear and cozy up to all sorts of unsavory characters/organizations that give Lenexa heartburn and night terrors. Just don't ask me about Vladimir Putin or how many family members I have on the district payroll.
    When I started reading your post, my mind read, "My first act . . . will be to ban Comic Con . . ." and I thought, "NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!" I haven't been able to make it to San Diego ComicCon yet! Please don't ban it! Then I remembered we're talking about Northern California, and I calmed down.
    StrengthsFinder Top 5: Input ---------- Intellection ---------- Connectedness ---------- Context ---------- Belief

Myers-Briggs Type: Introversion ---------- Intuition ---------- Feeling ---------- Perception (INFP)

Laughing Gina Stevenson - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

I guarantee no one would ever guess it. Ever.

If you find out before Sunday, please do not pass it along.
    Spoiler, I was elected. They needed a week to hold off on it to give me enough time to get licensed and ordained. I'm also about 5 years behind on my course of study classes so I'm cramming for a few tests.
    "Neither holiness nor love is Christian without the other...Love without holiness disintegrates into sentimentality. Personal integrity is lost. But holiness without love is not holiness at all. In spite of its label, it displays harshness, judgmentalism, a critical spirit, and all its capacity for discrimination ends in nitpicking and divisiveness." - MBW

NazNet Host

Post Thanks / Like

We nearly unanimously elected a new DS for Northern California last Friday. Personally I could not be more thrilled with him or her. I hardly slept Wednesday night fearing the possibilities. Then on Thursday I overheard some DAB members talking and got the name, googled him or her and I slept very very well.

The person is of yet unnamed because it was cool when Nampa did that to Paznaz so we want to be cool too.

Another reason is because it was requested by him or her that we not announce it for a couple of weeks.

While I am great at keeping secrets, just so you know, I can also be bought fairly cheaply.

I've thought about this quite a bit and I am willing to guess, then, that Scott Daniels is your new DS because of the progression from PazNaz to Nampa to Norcal. Your words "so we want to be cool too" are just too obvious.

Reflecting on Stan Toler's progression, it, again, fits perfectly. Elected DS. Then elected GS.

So, I'm suggesting that you all be working on a backup possibility.

Friend,

Wes

[ETA] PS. Another feeble attempt at humor.
    Last edited by Wes Smith; May 17th, 2017 at 07:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

My son would be distraught. He lives in SD and goes to Comicon sort of religiously - like for the last 20 years, at least.
    Thanks Lucas Finch - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I wanted to reframe your post so as to help us fully understand what it is you are fighting against.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Smith View Post
    I've thought about this quite a bit and I am willing to guess, then, that Scott Daniels is your new DS because of the progression from PazNaz to Nampa to Norcal. Your words "so we want to be cool too" are just too obvious.

Reflecting on Stan Toler's progression, it, again, fits perfectly. Elected DS. Then elected GS.

So, I'm suggesting that you all be working on a backup possibility.

Friend,

Wes

[ETA] PS. Another feeble attempt at humor.
    Nope. For many reasons.
    For example, he lacks multi-cultural/ethnic experience. That is huge on this district. But, I have no clue who all was on the list. I do know that anyone who has ever been in Texas longer than a short layover was disqualified.

On another note, I have a theory I've shared on Naznet over the years. Paznaz has a sky high pulpit. When you step away from it you only step down (BGS excepted). I don't think he will be a contender, as such, for GS in June. But!! I am always wrong (as is all of Naznet on this issue) so I am looking forward to the "anything can happen" election. If my prediction stands, I'm sure NPH will be offering me a book deal about it.

Back to NorCal, the DAC said they started with 42 nominees and eventually narrowed it down to 2. One of the DAB members told me my recommendation was one of the last 2. I think I know who he meant but I recommended about a dozen. Regardless, if I had ever heard of this person before, I would have only recommended him or her.
    Thanks Jeremy D. Scott - "thanks" for this post
    Laughing Jeremy D. Scott - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

Regardless, if I had ever heard of this person before, I would have only recommended him or her.
    Me, too. I hope it works out.

Post Thanks / Like

But!! I am always wrong (as is all of Naznet on this issue) so I am looking forward to the "anything can happen" election. If my prediction stands, I'm sure NPH will be offering me a book deal about it.
    Well, I'm a year out from ordination, so y'all better stop betting on me. Unless they "fast track" my ordination. I just have one class to complete, and I'm pretty sure I could write a 20 page paper on the subject given a few days to crank it out.

Laughing Greg Gates, Gina Stevenson - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I'm a year out from ordination, so y'all better stop betting on me. Unless they "fast track" my ordination. I just have one class to complete, and I'm pretty sure I could write a 20 page paper on the subject given a few days to crank it out.
    I can see Duarte's election as a precedent for yours. Where a populist surge suddenly emerges and a mob goes to your seat and lifts you up on our shoulders and we carry you to the stage and demand an on-the-spot ordination and then the BGS' replace your visitor badge with a VIP GS badge and lanyard. If you're not there, maybe we could carry a cellphone with you on FaceTime. Regardless, count me in.

Post Thanks / Like

Greg, now that you're back on the thread, any chance you could answer my question about your district's finances? I'm guessing you might have missed it.

Post Thanks / Like

Let me look at the district treasurer's report and give you the numbers they used. I'll do that when I get back to the church this afternoon.
    Thanks Rich Schmidt - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

As Norcal DS, I will enact such a fast track provision for ordination. Someone like you could shave off a year from your service requirements in exchange for a love gift of $1,000. Someone with a spotty moral history - one or more divorces, recovery addict, felony history, tattoos/piercings, alum of any Baptist school - and the fast-track ordination love gift/kickback is $5,000. Tack on a charitable donation of $500 to the responsible GS's alma mater and it's a win-win-win.

They say that money makes the world go around, so those in the church hierarchy might as well cash in as well. Right?
    - C.S. Lewis
    Laughing Lucas Finch, Rich Schmidt, John Kennedy - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

I was hoping for a spot on the review board so I could grill you before you were ordained. But alas I may have to pay another pastor on the board to torture you.

In all seriousness though, I don't think torture is needed considering the many times you have had to sweat it out in that black suit of yours.
    Thanks Lucas Finch - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Borger View Post
    In all seriousness though, I don't think torture is needed considering the many times you have had to sweat it out in that black suit of yours.
    Nah. It's been fairly easy. Just long. With next year being my ordination interview, I'll be a bit stressed, but generally I don't sweat the license renewal interviews much. Just one year was a little irksome. I'll be right at my ten-year mark for having my district license at next year's Assembly, so I have definitely used up my time. However, when I first started out, I was cranking out the classes quickly, and I was actually advised to ease up and take my time. So if anyone tries to give me a hard time about taking 10 years, I'll remind them of that.

Post Thanks / Like

2016-17 actual district income
    budgets - $260
    investment - $848

2017-18 budgeted expenses - $805

I think you are correct that if there were not investment income, either the current expenses would have to be readjusted or churches would be budgeted at 15% (at current giving levels).
    Thanks Rich Schmidt, Tammy Condon - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nope. For many reasons.
    For example, he lacks multi-cultural/ethnic experience. That is huge on this district. But, I have no clue who all was on the list. I do know that anyone who has ever been in Texas longer than a short layover was disqualified.

On another note, I have a theory I've shared on Naznet over the years. Paznaz has a sky high pulpit. When you step away from it you only step down (BGS excepted). I don't think he will be a contender, as such, for GS in June. But!! I am always wrong (as is all of Naznet on this issue) so I am looking forward to the "anything can happen" election. If my prediction stands, I'm sure NPH will be offering me a book deal about it.

Back to NorCal, the DAC said they started with 42 nominees and eventually narrowed it down to 2. One of the DAB members told me my recommendation was one of the last 2. I think I know who he meant but I recommended about a dozen. Regardless, if I had ever heard of this person before, I would have only recommended him or her.
    The requirement for multi-cultural experience definitely shortens the options, especially since you had to google them to find out about them. I have a couple of guesses as to who may fit the mentioned criteria, but I will keep them to myself until Sunday.

Post Thanks / Like

2016-17 actual district income
    budgets - $260
    investment - $848

2017-18 budgeted expenses - $805

I think you are correct that if there were not investment income, either the current expenses would have to be readjusted or churches would be budgeted at 15% (at current giving levels).
    May I ask what kind of investments we are talking about? Is the district leasing out valuable properties? I'm curious as to what kind of assets a district would have that would generate that kind of investment income.

Wilson
    "But by the grace of God I am what I am." (1 Cor. 15:10)

+ Reply to Thread