+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Midwestern favorite: Tenderloin sandwich

Hybrid View

Site Manager G R 'Scott' Cundiff's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

A Midwestern favorite: Tenderloin sandwich

We're in southeastern Indiana right now and yesterday we visited a local eatery for lunch.

The roadside diner is one of those eateries that is open only for breakfast and lunch and the customer base is older people and working people. We liked it right off because when we walked in things got quiet for a few seconds as everyone looked at us and thought "strangers in town."

I ordered a pork tenderloin sandwich with onion rings. I know you can get fried tenderloin sandwiches in other places, but they are most commonly found in the Midwest.

The tenderloin I got was considerably bigger than the bun it was on, really a meal in itself without the excellent onion rings.

I don't need to eat like that very often, but it was a treat yesterday.

Does anyone else enjoy these sandwiches?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A Midwestern favorite: Tenderloin sandwich

YES!!!! But they are hard to find around here (East Ohio/WV/PA tristate area). They were very common in southern Ohio when I grew up. I don't remember seeing them much in KC.

My grandfather was a member of the American Legion. When we would spend the day with them, we would always go to the Legion hall. Us kids got to shoot pool and eat tenderloins while grandpa did what the adults do in the bar... Great memories.
    “Martyrs rather than the pastors of megachurches might now become our evangelistic exemplars, and the ‘excellence’ of evangelistic practice’ will be measurable not by numbers but rather by obedience to a crucified God”

- Bryan Stone Evangelism After Christendom

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't had a tenderloin sandwich since I left Ohio in 1985. Now you've made me hungry for one, thank you very much!
    Wherever I am, God is, and all is well.

Post Thanks / Like

When I was a grad student at Ohio State 78-79, there was a hole-in-the-wall place just off campus that served them. I had never had them before, and they became my occasonal treat, downed with Vernors ginger ale.

Haven't had one since. One of my very few good memories of that time.
    "Fully embracing the Gospel, fully engaging the world"
    Thanks Diane Likens, Eric Frey - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

We have a place in town that sells them. We occasionally buy one "to go" and split it in two and add another bun at home to feed both of us.

BTW, Dave and I are headed toward southeast Indiana to ride the Belle of Louisville tonight. Where are you and Jackie camped out?
    Only the power of the Holy Spirit can get truth past the obvious.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marsha Lynn View Post
    We have a place in town that sells them. We occasionally buy one "to go" and split it in two and add another bun at home to feed both of us.

BTW, Dave and I are headed toward southeast Indiana to ride the Belle of Louisville tonight. Where are you and Jackie camped out?
    We're at Batesville - about 30 miles from Cincinnati. I haven't rode the Belle in a few years - have fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G R 'Scott' Cundiff View Post
    We're at Batesville - about 30 miles from Cincinnati. I haven't rode the Belle in a few years - have fun!
    This was our second time to do the cruise. The first time was a district NYI event (with a PR group from Olivet performing) almost 30 years ago. I'm not sure why we waited so long between. Very enjoyable. There was light rain when we started. Fortunately, there was room for everyone to stay under cover. Then the rain quit and by the time we returned to dock there was a beautiful sunset.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_IMG_20170519_205355963.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	8910   Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_IMG_20170519_193951115.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	8911  
    Last edited by Marsha Lynn; May 20th, 2017 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Add photos
    Only the power of the Holy Spirit can get truth past the obvious.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marsha Lynn View Post
    This was our second time to do the cruise. The first time was a district NYI event (with a PR group from Olivet performing) almost 30 years ago. I'm not sure why we waited so long between. Very enjoyable. There was light rain when we started. Fortunately, there was room for everyone to stay under cover. Then the rain quit and by the time we returned to dock there was a beautiful sunset.
    Nice pictures! Our first time on the Bell it was a district NYPS event and I was one of the teens. The Bell must have been almost new at the time . Then in 2000 I was on it during a special media event associated with the National Quartet Convention. It was really cool as some of the top southern gospel groups were on board for a mini-concert and artist/DJ meet and greet. My claim to fame on that cruise was a chat I had with Armond Morales, the bass singer of Imperials fame.

Post Thanks / Like

Where are you in SE Indiana? I have been there quite a few days recently.
    On second thought, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place.

Post Thanks / Like

That was my dads favorite!

Host Fun & Prayer forums Gina Stevenson's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G R 'Scott' Cundiff View Post
    Nice pictures! Our first time on the Bell it was a district NYPS event and I was one of the teens. The Bell must have been almost new at the time . Then in 2000 I was on it during a special media event associated with the National Quartet Convention. It was really cool as some of the top southern gospel groups were on board for a mini-concert and artist/DJ meet and greet. My claim to fame on that cruise was a chat I had with Armond Morales, the bass singer of Imperials fame.

Oh yes, we remember him. Saw them several times way back when.
    Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one. ~ Stella Adler
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    It takes a great deal of maturity to accept that trying to eliminate all risk eliminates life. ~ Susan Lapin ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    His anger lasts only a moment, but His favor lasts a lifetime! Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning. Psalm 30:5 (NLT)

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, it's fried pork. Who could possibly ask for more?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bourland View Post
    That was my dads favorite!
    Requesting clarification: pork tenderloin or the Imperials?

NazNet Host

Post Thanks / Like

I just recently enjoyed a couple weeks in Iowa with family. Pork tenderloins were definitely highlights! Haven't found such here in VA.

Friend,

Wes

Post Thanks / Like

If you come a little further north than Batesville, let me know and I can hook you up with a couple places here in Pendleton that set the highest standard for pork tenderloin sandwiches......unbelievably tasty. I have to make it a rare treat or I'd be broke and weigh much more than I already do.
    When my mom and dad moved to FL over 20 years ago, their favorite thing about coming back to IN was getting a good sandwich.
    Thanks G R 'Scott' Cundiff - "thanks" for this post

+ Reply to Thread