+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Did anyone write down the % of revenue from the U.S. and Canada

Post Thanks / Like

Did anyone write down the % of revenue from the U.S. and Canada

Somewhere in the GA, I saw the statistic about what percentage of the total revenue of the Church of the Nazarene is in the U.S. and Canada, but I didn't write it down. I know it was more than 90%, but don't remember the exact number. Did anyone else get that number?

Host Book, Movie & GA forums Ryan Scott's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Did anyone write down the % of revenue from the U.S. and Canada

It was 95% from the US. This is compared to about 98% from before the budget changes.
    ...just my $.02.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Scott View Post
    It was 95% from the US. This is compared to about 98% from before the budget changes.
    I know that different people respond differently to that statistic. What comes to my mind is "From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked." Luke 12:48 NIV

I am ok with the U.S. and Canada providing most of the financial support for the denomination.
    Thanks Craig Laughlin, Lucas Finch, Mike Schutz - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave McClung View Post
    I know that different people respond differently to that statistic. What comes to my mind is "From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked." Luke 12:48 NIV

I am ok with the U.S. and Canada providing most of the financial support for the denomination.
    Yep, exactly. The one I've heard and don't like is the golden rule perversion, thems that have the gold make the rules.
    It is not enough to be right, you have to be like Jesus.

Strength Finders - Futuristic, Strategic, Self Assurance, Individualization, Ideation
    Meyer's Brigs - ENTP

NazNet Host

Post Thanks / Like

Being retired, I'm out of the loop re. how funds are raised and allocated these days.

But it does seem to me that the election this GA go round served to put the denomination on notice that things "could" be changing dramatically.

When the US is responsible for 95% of the the WEF funds and the BoGS now is 50% international, with the possibility in the future for more BoGS international leadership, it will be interesting as to how that might affect the allocation of WEF funds and how it will impact the BoGS view of ministry and organization in the US.

Friend,

Wes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Smith View Post
    Being retired, I'm out of the loop re. how funds are raised and allocated these days.

But it does seem to me that the election this GA go round served to put the denomination on notice that things "could" be changing dramatically.

When the US is responsible for 95% of the the WEF funds and the BoGS now is 50% international, with the possibility in the future for more BoGS international leadership, it will be interesting as to how that might affect the allocation of WEF funds and how it will impact the BoGS view of ministry and organization in the US.

Friend,

Wes
    Wes, It would be a mistake to count Carla Sunberg as a "non international" member. Although she is a U.S. citizen, she has spent many years outside the U.S.

As you know, the BGS doesn't really have much authority of the finances of the church, except in their role of being exofficio members of the general board. It is the general board that has control of the budget. The same kind of changes are taking place on the general board -- increased influence of those outside the U.S.

The one issue that I predict will eventually become a problem -- retirement funding for members of the clergy. I have difficulty defending that a pastor of a small church in the U.S. will get retirement funding from the denomination while a pastor of the same size or larger church in another part of the world gets nothing.
    Thanks David Troxler, Craig Laughlin, Rich Schmidt - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

The one issue that I predict will eventually become a problem -- retirement funding for members of the clergy. I have difficulty defending that a pastor of a small church in the U.S. will get retirement funding from the denomination while a pastor of the same size or larger church in another part of the world gets nothing.
    Do churches outside the USA contribute to P&B? I know I don't get how it all works, but I assume that the money churches give to P&B is what pays both our current obligations to retired ministers on the old defined benefit plan as well as the 403b matches and supplements. Those matches and supplements are the only retirement funding coming my way from the denomination. All the rest is based on what I've put in myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Schmidt View Post
    Do churches outside the USA contribute to P&B? I know I don't get how it all works, but I assume that the money churches give to P&B is what pays both our current obligations to retired ministers on the old defined benefit plan as well as the 403b matches and supplements. Those matches and supplements are the only retirement funding coming my way from the denomination. All the rest is based on what I've put in myself.
    Because the Pension Laws are different in each country, each country is responsible for its own pension/retirement plan. Some have fairly good plans and some have none at all. In most of the world, each local church is responsible for it's own pastor's total compensation.

Post Thanks / Like

Because the Pension Laws are different in each country, each country is responsible for its own pension/retirement plan. Some have fairly good plans and some have none at all. In most of the world, each local church is responsible for it's own pastor's total compensation.
    Thanks, Dave. I'm just trying to understand your concern. You said that a pastor of a small church in the US will get retirement funding "from the denomination" while pastors in other parts of the world won't. What retirement funding "from the denomination" are you referring to? If it's all money that USA churches have given to P&B that's then coming back to them, then I'm not sure where the concern is. If it's money coming from WEF... which gets paid into by all churches around the world... then the concern would make more sense to me.

+ Reply to Thread