+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

Post Thanks / Like

It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

The Fellowship that we call "NazNet" started back in the 1980's as a forum on Prodigy. The officials at Prodigy didn't think we would have enough participation to have a forum of our own, so they named it "Evangelicals." We became the most active religious forum on Prodigy. Our fellowship continued to grow until Prodigy decided to charge by the minute.

The Fellowship divided into several smaller groups on Compuserve and other internet providers until the World Wide Web came along.

Soon after the World Wide Web became available, we opened Naznet.Com. We have changed software a couple of times, but the fellowship has remained on NazNet.Com for many years. During those peak years, we had a booth at the General Assembly and our numbers grew.

A few years ago, our fellowship began to shift from this site over to Facebook. There are a number of different Nazarene sponsored groups on Facebook, but one of them is NazNet on Facebook. The trend is clear, that group is growing while this group is becoming smaller and smaller. NazNet on Facebook now has more than 1,700 members!! Many of those who are members have been active participants here in the past.

I have come to the opinion that it is time to consolidate our fellowship on NazNet on Facebook. For some, the transition won't be easy, but it will be worth the effort.

Here is the plan:

Between now and July 15, new threads can be started. During that time, participants who don't have Facebook accounts will be encouraged to get them and begin the transition.

Beginning on July 15, no new threads can be started, but existing threads can be continued.

On Aug 1, those coming to NazNet.Com sill see only a notice that our fellowship has moved to NazNet on Facebook.

Anyone who wants keep a record of existing threads will have until Aug 1 to download the threads they want.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

End of an era.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for providing this little space for us on the interwebz for so many years, Dave! I respect your decision, and I agree that Facebook is the format that online discussion is going to. Still . . . this makes me sad.

I'm an avid Facebooker, so my disappointment isn't against Facebook at all. The format that discussion takes place in on Facebook is more difficult, in my opinion, to have a real, ongoing conversation. Certainly not at the depth that they have taken place on NazNet over the years. Frankly, I also do not feel as free to have the kind of conversations that I have here on Facebook. I know that NazNet is public, and I stand by everything that I have ever posted here, but NazNet has been a great place away from the people in my primary ministry context that I can let my hair down (Ha!) and speak a little freer than I feel I can do on Facebook. I have learned a ton from y'all over the years. You have broadened my perspective on our great church. (And hopefully, you all have benefited a little from my involvement as well.)

But alas! Such is life! All good things must come to an end. Though I will be a part of the groups and follow the conversation there from time to time, I don't see myself becoming a very active part of those groups. But maybe. Who knows. I never really anticipated getting drawn into NazNet like I have, either.
    StrengthsFinder Top 5: Input ---------- Intellection ---------- Connectedness ---------- Context ---------- Belief

Myers-Briggs Type: Introversion ---------- Intuition ---------- Feeling ---------- Perception (INFP)

My Website & Blog: alucasfinch.net

Site Manager G R 'Scott' Cundiff's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Right now the three Facebook NazNet groups are:

NazNet General Discussion
    NazNet Theology
    NazNet Pastors

Host Fun & Prayer forums Gina Stevenson's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Well, Lucas, as a pastor, you have a "safe" place in that closed group. But if there's anything to discuss excluding some ears/eyes, such as happens at NN just due to it's obscurity, there is none for laymen. As you said, "All good things (seem to) come to an end," and we too are grateful for all the years NazNet has existed due to Dave & Linda's generosity. We'll participate some, I'm sure, but it just won't be quite the same as here at NazNet.
    Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one. ~ Stella Adler
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

It takes a great deal of maturity to accept that trying to eliminate all risk eliminates life. ~ Susan Lapin ~

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Post Thanks / Like

Thank, Dave for everything. This little corner of the internet has been a tremendous blessing in many ways.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dave. I appreciate the time and effort you put into this.

I have been challenged, ticked off, and a host of other emotions through my time and participation. It has helped me to grow.

I do not participate on Facebook so this is pretty much goodbye.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Dave Gerber
    "We seriously discuss theology. The heavens laugh."
    Skin Ministries

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Dave for letting me get to know a lot of sometimes challenging but always GREAT folks here on Naznet!

BILL

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dave, for all that you have done. It has been appreciated and in many ways, and I don't think just for me, life changing.

Host CE and Gen. Disc. forums David Parker's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

I'll add my thanks to Dave for carrying this for so many years. Have enjoyed it immensely and look forward to continuing the fellowship through Facebook.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Though we cannot think alike, may we not love alike? May we not be of one heart, though we are not of one opinion? Without all doubt, we may." ~ John Wesley
    Thanks Wes Smith, Betty Bolerjack - "thanks" for this post

Host Fun & Prayer forums Marg Shurtliff's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

I ,too , add my thanks to Dave for providing this forum for so many years . I have enjoyed the fellowship and getting to ”know” so many of you.
    I have appreciated learning things first on NazNet . Getting help so quickly when needed and just having some enjoyment every day . I have been in the habit of checking into NazNet several times a day .
    I will miss all that . I have never had a desire to sign up for Facebook and what little I have heard has made me very happy that I had no connection to it .
    Its possible I could change my mind in the future but at the moment don’t think so.
    Its been great having this fellowship with you all. I pray that each of you have a good future and God’s blessing on you all.
    A special thank you to Scott for all he has done to keep things running smoothly and for noting special days for us .
    Marg

Post Thanks / Like

I'd suggest we have the BoGS study the matter, and we reconsider the move to Facebook in 2021.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Morris View Post
    I'd suggest we have the BoGS study the matter, and we reconsider the move to Facebook in 2021.
    Second!
    StrengthsFinder Top 5: Input ---------- Intellection ---------- Connectedness ---------- Context ---------- Belief

Myers-Briggs Type: Introversion ---------- Intuition ---------- Feeling ---------- Perception (INFP)

Thanks David Troxler, Jim Chabot, Gina Stevenson, Marsha Lynn - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Naznet has been, for the most part, an awesome place for me. I have been able to meet many different people, hear many different perspectives, and forge friendships. I have been able to grow and change in many ways. I'm definitely not the same guy who joined in 2010. I'm more than a little heartbroken that naznet.com has to come to an end but am thankful to Dave and moderators and the friends I have made here over the many years of good discussion and encouragement. I love you guys and will miss clicking on the "What's New" tab
    ôSo there are no nontheologians; there is just good theology and bad theology.ö- Will Willimon
    Thanks Bill Morrison, Lucas Finch, Gina Stevenson, Susan Unger - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Gerber View Post
    Thanks Dave. I appreciate the time and effort you put into this.

I have been challenged, ticked off, and a host of other emotions through my time and participation. It has helped me to grow.

I do not participate on Facebook so this is pretty much goodbye.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Scenes from LOTR come to mind. The fellowship is ended.

NazNet Host

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with the "sorrow" over Naznet's shutdown.

Personally, it has been my only opportunity for ongoing dialogue on such a broad range of subjects. I am forever grateful for the LGBTQ discussion. Though I was not and am not a candidate for affirmation, the information was more than helpful. Incidentally we missed a great opportunity to discuss a recent National Geography magazine totally dedicated to the education discussion of the subject.

I don't see much of a chance for me to participate on NN FB, as I cannot get a grip on the discussion method there. I will give it a try from time to time, but I have no expectation of participating as I have on NN.

Am thankful to Dave for his gift to us! Will indeed miss the folks here!

Friend,

Wes
    Thanks John Kennedy - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have the time right now to write an essay about my Naznet relationship and how I feel about this.... So, I will just say, THANK YOU, Dave!

Perhaps it is relationally unhealthy of me but I feel like I was just informed that a friend has died.

Wilson
    "But by the grace of God I am what I am." (1 Cor. 15:10)

Post Thanks / Like

This makes me very sad!
    Compared to other online Christian forums, I have found Naznet to be very thoughtful, and supportive, deep, tactful, kind, well meaning, and intelligent.

I do have Facebook but it's not the same. I don't think I've ever seen long, deep, philosophical discussions with deep and meaningful back and forth on Facebook. It's either "here's my cat" or "here's my political blurb" and people generally respond with short (not deep) comments.

I also like the smaller community. Here we get to know one another. With 2,000 active members I don't see how we could get to know everyone by name and personality.

It's like finding out the church you've been attending is closing. So sad.

You guys have been my main Christian community for about 2 years (since I moved to Oregon.)

Has anyone been on the Facebook page? Is it as deep with as deep and meaningful back and forth and long discussion and is it as kind and polite?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Smith View Post
    Agree with the "sorrow" over Naznet's shutdown.

Personally, it has been my only opportunity for ongoing dialogue on such a broad range of subjects. I am forever grateful for the LGBTQ discussion. Though I was not and am not a candidate for affirmation, the information was more than helpful. Incidentally we missed a great opportunity to discuss a recent National Geography magazine totally dedicated to the education discussion of the subject.

I don't see much of a chance for me to participate on NN FB, as I cannot get a grip on the discussion method there. I will give it a try from time to time, but I have no expectation of participating as I have on NN.

Am thankful to Dave for his gift to us! Will indeed miss the folks here!

Friend,

Wes
    Wes,
    I also have trouble responding on facebook, particularly with long replies. I forget and hit the 'enter' key and it thinks I am finished. I guess I need a lesson in how to use it and edit comments already made. To overcome that problem, I compose my response in Word and then copy and paste to FB. If there is a better way, I don't know about it and I don't like 'experimenting' live while on FB.
    Thanks Wes Smith - "thanks" for this post

Host Photography Forum Dana Grant's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, definitely the end of an era. February 1998 was my first encounter with NazNet. I did a search for Nazarene, and there it was! We've seen a lot happen over the years with many fun things and many heart wrenching events -- the loss of some NazNetters that we'll never forget. And I learned Photography on NazNet -- that will always be special to me. Thanks, Dave, for the many years you've been our supporter. I'll miss this old place!
    Thanks Gina Stevenson, Betty Bolerjack, Glenn Messer - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Troxler View Post
    Scenes from LOTR come to mind. The fellowship is ended.
    I want to dedicate this song and video to the passing of NazNet:

Thanks David Troxler, Gene Tatsch, Betty Bolerjack, Wes Smith - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm grateful for all the work that has gone into Naznet over the years. I've loved it. Thank you al who have made this community what it's been!

I'm sad to see it shutting down, but I understand the decision. I've found myself interacting much more on Facebook the past couple years, even though I prefer this forum software to the way discussions work on FB.

I'm wondering... Surely someone is computer-savvy enough to create an archive of the Naznet forums to maintain them for posterity? Rather than each of us trying to archive the threads we want, we could create an archive of the whole site and host it somewhere free...
    Thanks Cynthia Prentice, Betty Bolerjack, Lucas Finch - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Morris View Post
    Post of the day . . . or week ... or even the month!! ��

Quote Originally Posted by Cam Pence View Post
    I love you guys and will miss clicking on the "What's New" tab
    Yes! Will suffer "What's New?" tab clicking withdrawal, for sure. After FB, was nice to relax here, reading, posting now & then . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Finch View Post
    I want to dedicate this song and video to the passing of NazNet.
    That's one sad song.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Schmidt View Post
    I'm wondering... Surely someone is computer-savvy enough to create an archive of the Naznet forums to maintain them for posterity? Rather than each of us trying to archive the threads we want, we could create an archive of the whole site and host it somewhere free...
    That's what a lot of us have maybe been wondering. This is by subject matter. Facebook is not. People will give up finding something, start conversations all over again due to that, instead of somehow being able to see old stuff, benefit therefrom, & then add to it, etc.
    Would be nice for the technical stuff to be available, too.

Yes, as Wilson has put it, feels like a(n) (beloved) old friend has died.

BTW, can't do this at FB, either . . . quote in such a way one is sure whose post it is to which you are responding, once there are several posts. Yes, format is nicer here, but I "get it." I too go look at photos at FB. However . . . .

After all this, we want to thank Dave & Linda, as well as Scott (& others?) for his technical help, etc.

Will miss this old friend.
    Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one. ~ Stella Adler
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

It takes a great deal of maturity to accept that trying to eliminate all risk eliminates life. ~ Susan Lapin ~

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Thanks Betty Bolerjack, Susan Unger - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

NazNet has been my mini General Assembly by getting to know people and pray for their needs and concerns and I do appreciate the help that many of you have ministered to me. Thank You Dave for your thoughtful and generous ministry to all of us by being our benefactor. Some I have met here in person when you have traveled to the Boise or Sun Valley, AZ areas. Connecting to my South Dakota buddies Wes and John Kennedy has been a special bright spot for me. Some may have enjoyed my bantering back and forth with my former faculty mate Dr. Coach Young Grandpa Poteet. Like others I will have to take some time to figure out this Facebook factor as I know how to post but not receive replies. Will there be a Prayer List on Facebook? This has been a delightful and sometimes challenging relationship with others in assuaging my loneliness for positive interaction rather than negative interaction. Some of you know more about Boise than you ever wanted to know. Maybe some of you have a clearer understanding of some of the Geography and History that this old professor has mentioned. There are still Lookout towers to rent here in Idaho for those who would be interested in periods of isolation. Hope to see any of you coming this way. I cherish these last 14 years that I have been a NazNetter and in a way will always be one.

Post Thanks / Like

The database is huge - it would be beyond my ability to download it.
    Thanks Wes Smith - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Surely someone is computer-savvy enough to create an archive of the Naznet forums to maintain them for posterity? Rather than each of us trying to archive the threads we want, we could create an archive of the whole site and host it somewhere free...
    Hmm sounds like a good idea, but someone would probably just download everything and start a forum called NazNet2.0!
    "Neither holiness nor love is Christian without the other...Love without holiness disintegrates into sentimentality. Personal integrity is lost. But holiness without love is not holiness at all. In spite of its label, it displays harshness, judgmentalism, a critical spirit, and all its capacity for discrimination ends in nitpicking and divisiveness." - MBW
    Thanks Emiko Cothran, Gina Stevenson - "thanks" for this post
    Laughing Craig Laughlin - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave McClung View Post
    The Fellowship that we call "NazNet" started back in the 1980's as a forum on Prodigy. The officials at Prodigy didn't think we would have enough participation to have a forum of our own, so they named it "Evangelicals." We became the most active religious forum on Prodigy. Our fellowship continued to grow until Prodigy decided to charge by the minute.

The Fellowship divided into several smaller groups on Compuserve and other internet providers until the World Wide Web came along.

Soon after the World Wide Web became available, we opened Naznet.Com. We have changed software a couple of times, but the fellowship has remained on NazNet.Com for many years. During those peak years, we had a booth at the General Assembly and our numbers grew.

A few years ago, our fellowship began to shift from this site over to Facebook. There are a number of different Nazarene sponsored groups on Facebook, but one of them is NazNet on Facebook. The trend is clear, that group is growing while this group is becoming smaller and smaller. NazNet on Facebook now has more than 1,700 members!! Many of those who are members have been active participants here in the past.

I have come to the opinion that it is time to consolidate our fellowship on NazNet on Facebook. For some, the transition won't be easy, but it will be worth the effort.

Here is the plan:

Between now and July 15, new threads can be started. During that time, participants who don't have Facebook accounts will be encouraged to get them and begin the transition.

Beginning on July 15, no new threads can be started, but existing threads can be continued.

On Aug 1, those coming to NazNet.Com sill see only a notice that our fellowship has moved to NazNet on Facebook.

Anyone who wants keep a record of existing threads will have until Aug 1 to download the threads they want.
    Thanks for the kind comments. I prefer not to think of this change as the "death" of Naznet. It really is just a change in software and an expansion of the NazNet community. It is a bit like when a small church merges with a large church.

I know that there will be a few people who will use the change as a reason to decrease participation. That has happened each time we have changed software.

All in all, I have been encouraged by the large number of people who are signing up for NazNet on Facebook. Over the past couple of days, I have seen a lot of new registrations.

Probably the biggest change is that one can't be a true "lurker" on Facebook. It is a "closed" group which means that if you a not a member of the group, you can't read the posts. I have now way of knowing how many lurkers we have had on NazNet, but I am aware of many. Hopefully, the change will encourage some who have been sitting on the side line to come on in and participate in the fellowship.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Troxler View Post
    Hmm sounds like a good idea, but someone would probably just download everything and start a forum called NazNet2.0!
    Over the years, there have been a number of attempts to start other discussion boards like NazNet.Com. For one reason or another, none of them have gotten enough participation of continue. I remember one that came on line as "The Ulitmate Nazarene Discussion Board." It had some great bells and whistles, but just couldn't get a level of participation to continue. This group has been special and will continue on NazNet on Facebook.
    Thanks Tim Troxler, Betty Bolerjack, Wes Smith - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I figured this change was coming at some point. I have to be honest, it has been difficult for me to be active on this site for some time as life has pulled me in many different directions (I do get on Facebook daily). I do like the fact that the Facebook groups are closed and that all users have to be part of the group to see discussions. Hopefully this will enable conversations to unfold unhindered by the presence of "unknown lurkers."

Thank you, Dave, Scott, and others who have played a role in keeping Naznet operating smoothly over the years. I look forward to the "new" iteration and the longevity it should provide.
    Thanks Betty Bolerjack, Cindi Hammons - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Dave, thanks for being the driving force for NazNet. Despite some of the differences members have had, it has been a good place to explore our differences and celebrate our common points.

As far as lurking, I think there will still be a lot of that going on. Many of the groups where I belong has way more members than those that post on a regular basis, both those that are closed and those that are open.
    Thanks Betty Bolerjack, Cynthia Prentice - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Through NazNet, God has stretched me, encouraged, supported me, ... it has been the only "safe" place I could ask my questions, na´ve though most of them are. I have made friends who I will first meet face-to-face on the other side. Your discussion, thoughtful & rowdy as it has been, has been a means of God's grace to me.
    Thank you all who have worked (!!) and applied His talents lent to you to keep it available.
    Thanks Emiko Cothran, Peggy Gray, Cynthia Prentice - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

And since it notes such a high number as members, tho't I would look at the members list. Found no place to do this.

So if the member list isn't something we can look at, we have the same wondering over there as here, having no idea who may be reading our posts, b/c some registered readers don't post.

OR . . . did I miss something, not being able to see/find a members list??
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Post Thanks / Like

I should also acknowledge another change. On NazNet.Com, I have been the "final authority." In the NazNet on Facebook group, I won't have that level of authority. I am a moderator, but won't have authority to override the other moderators.

I have noticed that some political posts have shown up on the Facebook group. I will suggest to the other moderators that we have the same rules there that we have here -- no political posts and no commercial posts.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm grateful for all the work that has gone into Naznet over the years. I've loved it. Thank you al who have made this community what it's been!

I'm sad to see it shutting down, but I understand the decision. I've found myself interacting much more on Facebook the past couple years, even though I prefer this forum software to the way discussions work on FB.

My heart and soul are in most of the posts I have posted over the past seven years and I would like to preserve them. I have the database savvy to process a raw SQL table into readable form.

By contrast, the posting search has a cap of 500 records.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us wthout end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
    - C.S. Lewis

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gina Stevenson View Post
    And since it notes such a high number as members, tho't I would look at the members list. Found no place to do this.

So if the member list isn't something we can look at, we have the same wondering over there as here, having no idea who may be reading our posts, b/c some registered readers don't post.

If you click on the number of members in the group it should pop up a grid view of the members.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for providing this little space for us on the interwebz for so many years, Dave! I respect your decision, and I agree that Facebook is the format that online discussion is going to. Still . . . this makes me sad.

I'm an avid Facebooker, so my disappointment isn't against Facebook at all. The format that discussion takes place in on Facebook is more difficult, in my opinion, to have a real, ongoing conversation. Certainly not at the depth that they have taken place on NazNet over the years. Frankly, I also do not feel as free to have the kind of conversations that I have here on Facebook. I know that NazNet is public, and I stand by everything that I have ever posted here, but NazNet has been a great place away from the people in my primary ministry context that I can let my hair down (Ha!) and speak a little freer than I feel I can do on Facebook. I have learned a ton from y'all over the years. You have broadened my perspective on our great church. (And hopefully, you all have benefited a little from my involvement as well.)

But alas! Such is life! All good things must come to an end. Though I will be a part of the groups and follow the conversation there from time to time, I don't see myself becoming a very active part of those groups. But maybe. Who knows. I never really anticipated getting drawn into NazNet like I have, either.
    Or, as the Oracle (The Matrix trilogy) said: "Everything that has a beginning has an end."
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us wthout end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
    - C.S. Lewis
    Thanks Lucas Finch - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I should also acknowledge another change. On NazNet.Com, I have been the "final authority." In the NazNet on Facebook group, I won't have that level of authority. I am a moderator, but won't have authority to override the other moderators.

I have noticed that some political posts have shown up on the Facebook group. I will suggest to the other moderators that we have the same rules there that we have here -- no political posts and no commercial posts.
    Dave you are an Administrator of all three groups, a step above Moderator. Also, we think alike on political posts, I added a prohibition to them to the pinned posts on all three groups.

Post Thanks / Like

Gina, if you click on the members tab on the left side of the page, you will see a list of all members. There is also a box on the upper right of the list which allows you to search for specific members. So, if you are concerned about someone lurking and reading your posts, you can check to see if they are a member. If they aren't a member, they can't!
    Blessings,
    Betty
    Thanks Gina Stevenson - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Dave, for providing this forum for so many years! And thank you, Scott, for your technical expertise and for taking the lead on Facebook. Also, a big thanks to all the forum leaders who have devoted so much time as NazNet has grown.

Mark and I go all the way back to the Prodigy days, so we've seen the evolution of NazNet over the years! I have found myself participating less and less here, though I do pop in occasionally, mostly when someone brings a discussion to my attention that they think I would be interested in. Many times, I just come to read and perhaps click the Thanks button, but I find I have little time to reply and, by the time, I get here, I'm usually way behind, anyway!

While I haven't participated a lot in the discussions on FB, the time I spend over there in a variety of non-church related groups has contributed to the decline in my NazNet participation on either platform. That's probably a good thing as it gets me out among non-Christians in a way I can't do IRL these days! NazNet was my introduction to internet communication. I resisted FB for several years, but actually found encouragement here to set up an account and have found it to be a good thing in many ways!

For those struggling with the format on FB, it is not the same, that is true, but there are advantages as well as disadvantages. To create paragraphs within your reply, hit Ctrl + Enter on a PC, probably Cmd + Enter on a Mac, but not sure. To edit a post, click on the arrow in the upper right of your post. There is also a search function on the left side of the page where you can search the group. It's less than stellar, IMO, but if you get the right keyword, you should be able to find just about anything that has already been discussed. Some of the lengthier discussions that we have seen take place here may prove to be a little more difficult there, but that may not be a bad thing! We've all adjusted in the past. We'll adjust again!
    Blessings,
    Betty
    Thanks Gina Stevenson, Peggy Gray - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G R 'Scott' Cundiff View Post
    The database is huge - it would be beyond my ability to download it.
    Out of curiosity... How huge?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Cox View Post
    My heart and soul are in most of the posts I have posted over the past seven years and I would like to preserve them. I have the database savvy to process a raw SQL table into readable form.

By contrast, the posting search has a cap of 500 records.
    I was imagining something that would "scrape" all the contents into flat HTML files. But perhaps there's a better way to handle it. I imagine others have attempted this and perhaps solved it with this particular software. I've not looked into it at all.
    Thanks Cynthia Prentice - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I was imagining something that would "scrape" all the contents into flat HTML files. But perhaps there's a better way to handle it. I imagine others have attempted this and perhaps solved it with this particular software. I've not looked into it at all.
    Maybe before July's over . . . someone will figure something out???
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Post Thanks / Like

Not as big as I thought it was - a couple of GB. Not sure if that includes the images or not.

Frankly, though, I think we should see the move as a fresh start.

Post Thanks / Like

Betty, it says at the top "1848 members." Again, when I clicked on that, all it did was highlight the NazNet mug picture (like happens w/any picture on FB), and nothing about members, but only Scott's name since he apparently set up that header picture there.

Possibly you can only see it on a PC? Also, as for searching for members, nothing like that either. There's an "add members" there that brings up one's own "friends" list, period. Maybe it's due to being on a phone?
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Thanks John F Martin - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Not as big as I thought it was - a couple of GB. Not sure if that includes the images or not.

But some things have been EXPLAINED SO WELL over the years (theology forum for instance), a couple GB (that all? Must be just text, but that would be fine!!) saved somewhere for folks to DL eventually, would be good. Then someone could go there for help in explaining some things to others, not having to TRY to formulate lengthy explanations all over again, no??

Also this would include the technical stuff. Yes, technology advances, but some things don't change re all the 'puter questions folks have had.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Post Thanks / Like

I'm fine with a fresh start. All new discussions on FB. I'd just love to keep the archive available so all the great conversations don't vanish. Lots of great resources and explanations have been shared here. I'm sure I won't remember all of them or have time to try to grab them all before August.

Post Thanks / Like

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0068.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	9000

Here is a magnified view (screenshot) from my iPad. If you click on the number of members it should pop up a list of members.
    Thanks Betty Bolerjack - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm fine with a fresh start. All new discussions on FB. I'd just love to keep the archive available so all the great conversations don't vanish. Lots of great resources and explanations have been shared here. I'm sure I won't remember all of them or have time to try to grab them all before August.
    Several years ago an active NazNetter was killed in a terrible accident. His parents asked if we could save the threads where he participated on NazNet. We honored their request, but it took many, many hours of work to recover and print out those threads. I seriously doubt that the parents have ever read most of them.

I will preserve the data base, but at this point it isn't clear that it will be practical to access it.

Host Theology Forum David Graham's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to add my vote of thanks Dave for your generous contribution to the life of the church (both CotN and the general church) through the provision of this website and its ongoing upgrades and maintenance. It has helped me to remain connected to a theological perspective that is dear to my heart and I believe that I have made some great "on line" friends as a result. So yes, I will feel saddened by its passing in the present format but look forward to interacting in our various forums on facebook.

So thanks Dave and bless you for your ongoing support.
    Thanks John Kennedy, John Reilly, John F Martin - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

This^^^

It's odd, I know, but I feel comfortable here on this public forum and like an exposed target even in closed groups on FB. Like Lucas, I question how much I will participate in any of the FB forums.

Still, NazNet came along when I was desperate for it. I will never feel as alone again as I did before I knew there were others in the CotN with the same questions, struggles, and interests I had.

And now I will finally break the NazNet habit. I wonder how long the pink elephants* stay around during the withdrawal phase.
    --------

*I can't let NazNet go without at least one reference to something Brad Mercer shared with us, even if it is just the "pink elephants."
    Only the power of the Holy Spirit can get truth past the obvious.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marsha Lynn View Post
    This^^^

It's odd, I know, but I feel comfortable here on this public forum and like an exposed target even in closed groups on FB. Like Lucas, I question how much I will participate in any of the FB forums.

Still, NazNet came along when I was desperate for it. I will never feel as alone again as I did before I knew there were others in the CotN with the same questions, struggles, and interests I had.

And now I will finally break the NazNet habit. I wonder how long the pink elephants* stay around during the withdrawal phase.
    --------

*I can't let NazNet go without at least one reference to something Brad Mercer shared with us, even if it is just the "pink elephants."
    Marsha, regardless of this forum, we will want to know your church's progress in the pastoral search and your part in it.
    dave t

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Troxler View Post
    Marsha, regardless of this forum, we will want to know your church's progress in the pastoral search and your part in it.
    dave t
    Thanks for your interest, Dave. I'm anxious to know how that all works out as well!

This is a good example of a topic I can't imagine addressing in a FB forum. Who knows who might be "listening" in, if not today then next week or next month? I know SO many more people who regularly read FB than who come around here.

Everyone who knows me well IRL knows I hang out here. Those who have no interest in hearing my words in person extend that same disinterest to forums where they know no one except me. Even those who do take interest in my words hear enough of them that they feel no need to seek out any more. Which makes this a safe place for me. Facebook is not such a place, not even in closed groups.

Still, it has been good. A few years ago one of my closest friends abruptly quit talking to me. Completely, except for just enough words in social situations so that no one around us noticed. Worse, I got the distinct impression I should not address it, and, more, could find no opportunity to address it. I still don't know what happened. The silence lasted for two years and then ended just about as suddenly as it began. But in those days of silence, I realized several things:

1. I trust this person more than just about anyone else in the world. I had faith that whatever was behind the silence justified it and that if I knew what it was I would understand and agree with the response. No explanation was needed.

2. For more than seven years I had benefited enormously from this person's friendship. It literally changed my life in more ways than I could fathom. And even if the silence was forever, not a bit of what I had gained during those years would be lost. The gift of the seven years was a treasure I would always have. If I never had another conversation with this person, I would still come out so far ahead it would be completely ungrateful to complain.

The lesson I learned in that silence has been of value in other situations. This is one of them. Even if I never find another forum in which I can express thoughts like this, the value of the 20+ years I have enjoyed this level of Nazarene fellowship on the internet is a priceless treasure I will always value. What a joy to be able to explore my faith in dialog with the wonderful folks of NazNet. (And before NazNet on AOL forums and in the NazTalk email group.) Rather than crying because it is over, I need to marvel in the fact that it happened. Last week in Indianapolis, I received a hug from an Australian who has been another treasure in my life through NazNet and other early forums. What a gift from God!
    Save
    Save
    Save
    Only the power of the Holy Spirit can get truth past the obvious.

Post Thanks / Like

Boooooo boooooo. I am one who is not happy at all to find out that Naznet is going "into the mist." The people I've met here have become very important to me. I don't feel at all like thanking Dave for anything right now. I feel like I've been dumped. But I'll do my best to get onboard on FB. Yuk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks Cam Pence, Lucas Finch, John Reilly - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Gates View Post
    Boooooo boooooo. I am one who is not happy at all to find out that Naznet is going "into the mist." The people I've met here have become very important to me. I don't feel at all like thanking Dave for anything right now. I feel like I've been dumped. But I'll do my best to get onboard on FB. Yuk.

I'm pretty sad about it as well and would be surprised if I end up being nearly as active on NN on FB as I am on here but if I'm being honest, its not like I couldn't see this happening sooner or later
    ôSo there are no nontheologians; there is just good theology and bad theology.ö- Will Willimon

Post Thanks / Like

Dave, THANKS hardly seems enough.

I'd encourage those who are afraid of FB to give it a try. In all honesty, when I first came here to NazNet, I found the interface quite intimidating, but kept with it. I think I can do most things now, except I never quite figured out how to easily change my pic. And, I'm a bit sad that I'll not have a congrats from Marg Shurtliff when I pass the next 1,000 post milestone...I don't think FB keeps track of those kinds of metrics.

But, the only thing in life that stays the same is change, and as a missionary, that certainly has been a big theme.

One last note: Since I know many Africans who regularly use FB, I hope to refer them to NazNet on FaceBook. I hope that moderators will be ready to approve their participation in the group. Who knows? Maybe even our new Mozambican G.S. will join!

For those who know French...

Ce n'est qu'un au revoir...
    Achiever - Learner -Context - Intellection - Input

Visit my theology weblog at: gregorycrofford.com
    Amazon author page: https://amazon.com/author/jgregorycrofford
    Facebook: Greg Crofford
    Twitter: @africasojourner
    Thanks David Graham, John Reilly, Betty Bolerjack - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yuge. Really yuge. And we'll make Mexico pay for it!
    Laughing David Graham, John Kennedy - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Flowers View Post
    Attachment 9000

Here is a magnified view (screenshot) from my iPad. If you click on the number of members it should pop up a list of members.
    Looks so totally different from here. You don't have the picture of the NazNet mug somewhere near the top? Anyway, here the only place one sees that membership number is pasted over that picture, so hitting anywhere on/around it only does that picture highlighting of which I spoke.

Finally did find, after clicking all over the place, that clicking on "Info" it brings up a list: Members, Notification Settings, Share Group, Photos, Events, Files. So we clicked on Members & there is a list. With so many on it, it's a shame you can't do a search near the name you left off at (it brings up about ten names, then you have to click "see more" to see more. If you don't have time to do that over & over for about 185 times, I found you cannot start midway through list later, as I tried that by finally stopping by a name I know, going back awhile later, going to that name % hoping to continue from there. Nope. Have to start all over! So how anyone would actually see all the names, no idea . . . .
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Host CE and Gen. Disc. forums David Parker's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Looks so totally different from here. You don't have the picture of the NazNet mug somewhere near the top? Anyway, here the only place one sees that membership number is pasted over that picture, so hitting anywhere on/around it only does that picture highlighting of which I spoke.

Finally did find, after clicking all over the place, that clicking on "Info" it brings up a list: Members, Notification Settings, Share Group, Photos, Events, Files. So we clicked on Members & there is a list. With so many on it, it's a shame you can't do a search near the name you left off at (it brings up about ten names, then you have to click "see more" to see more. If you don't have time to do that over & over for about 185 times, I found you cannot start midway through list later, as I tried that by finally stopping by a name I know, going back awhile later, going to that name % hoping to continue from there. Nope. Have to start all over! So how anyone would actually see all the names, no idea . . . .
    I have a "Find a Member" search box at the top right side of the member list. A big difference may be what you are using to view FB. It will behave differently on a phone or tablet than it does on a PC. You will only get all the features on a PC due to space restrictions on a smaller screen.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Though we cannot think alike, may we not love alike? May we not be of one heart, though we are not of one opinion? Without all doubt, we may." ~ John Wesley
    Thanks Betty Bolerjack, Gina Stevenson - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Crofford View Post
    I'd encourage those who are afraid of FB to give it a try.
    For me, it's not an aversion to Facebook at all. Some of y'all know that I use Facebook a little too much. My issue is the format for the kind of conversations we have at NazNet. Facebook just doesn't cut it (in my opinion, of course). Things aren't grouped by subject. It is too easy to hit "Return" and have comments posted before thoughts are completed. There isn't a quote function. There isn't even a way to change text formats. (GIFs are a thing now, though, so that's cool and stuff.)

I love Facebook, but it absolutely isn't a replacement for what we have here. But . . . I understand that Dave is the owner of this site, and if he wants to close shop here, that is entirely within his rights.

Post Thanks / Like

Laughing Cam Pence, Brandon Brown - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone . . . join me in singing M.W. Smith's Friends.

Side Note: Has anyone else noticed how much Steven Curtis Chapman looks like Neil Patrick Harris?

Thanks Gina Stevenson, Jeremy D. Scott, John F Martin - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Side Note: Has anyone else noticed how much Steven Curtis Chapman looks like Neil Patrick Harris?
    Or maybe more of a mix of Neil Patrick Harris and Kevin Bacon.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I came on to NN in '99. I had been out of the church since the 70's. I was immediately impressed by the opportunity it afforded for people to express differing points of view. It was interesting to see the reactions of some - they would express astonishment (and sometimes indignation) when they read points of view with which they differed. "How could a Nazarene say
    (or even think) something like that?" NN afforded a daily opportunity to see that God's people didn't necessarily have to agree on everything.
    I've really appreciated Dave and Linda's willingness to support the 'ministry' of NazNet. Yes, I definitely consider it to be a ministry in terms of helping build community among participants. I think even in the times of greatest disagreement this community building was still going on. Said it before and I'll say it again - I view Naznet, even though it is unofficial, as one of the most positive things to happen in the CotN in recent years.
    I expect the move to FB to continue to develop fellowship. I don't have the same hopes for the discussion aspect. I've been on FB for several years and carrying on a coherent discussion of any length simply doesn't seem to work. You can post and response to something and then try to come back to follow things further and get very frustrated when you can find it again. Maybe that's just my ineptitude with these here electric computers.
    It's been, for me, an enjoyable 18 year run.

Post Thanks / Like

Several years ago an active NazNetter was killed in a terrible accident. His parents asked if we could save the threads where he participated on NazNet. We honored their request, but it took many, many hours of work to recover and print out those threads. I seriously doubt that the parents have ever read most of them.

I will preserve the data base, but at this point it isn't clear that it will be practical to access it.
    It is quite simple to extract a user's posts from what I presume is a MySQL table. The query would take about 5 minutes to write, run and then dump to a spreadsheet format. (CSV)
    - C.S. Lewis
    Thanks Cynthia Prentice, Betty Bolerjack, Gina Stevenson - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

It is quite simple to extract a user's posts from what I presume is a MySQL table. The query would take about 5 minutes to write, run and then dump to a spreadsheet format. (CSV)
    And...here's instructions for doing it:

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...s-posts-to-csv
    - C.S. Lewis
    Thanks Cynthia Prentice - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I have the mug, just excluded it from the screen shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Parker View Post
    I have a "Find a Member" search box at the top right side of the member list. A big difference may be what you are using to view FB. It will behave differently on a phone or tablet than it does on a PC. You will only get all the features on a PC due to space restrictions on a smaller screen.
    Tho't maybe there were things excluded here.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Flowers View Post
    Yes, I have the mug, just excluded it from the screen shot.
    But clicking here nets only the picture; most likely a phone limitation again (windows one, which I'm coming to hate. MS took the once-nice Nokia phone & made a mess of it, it doth appear.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Post Thanks / Like

Betty, it says at the top "1848 members." Again, when I clicked on that, all it did was highlight the NazNet mug picture (like happens w/any picture on FB), and nothing about members, but only Scott's name since he apparently set up that header picture there.

Possibly you can only see it on a PC? Also, as for searching for members, nothing like that either. There's an "add members" there that brings up one's own "friends" list, period. Maybe it's due to being on a phone?
    I am using the Facebook app for my Android, not the internet app. If you tap on "Info" you will see an option for "Members." Tap on that and the member list comes up. There is an option to see more as you scroll through the names.
    Godspeed.

Mark B

www.mbb.helo.life

Post Thanks / Like

So how do we join the.Naznet group on Facebook
    FB ? Do we need to join as a new member?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolerjack View Post
    I am using the Facebook app for my Android, not the internet app. If you tap on "Info" you will see an option for "Members." Tap on that and the member list comes up. There is an option to see more as you scroll through the names.
    I liken it to a small congregation being merged into a much larger one. Naznet.com is the smaller congregation. We will need to be on our best behavior. We are the scary, new people.
    - C.S. Lewis
    Thanks Craig Laughlin - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

We will need to be on our best behavior. We are the scary, new people.
    I don't have a best behavior.

Thanks John F Martin - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I liken it to a small congregation being merged into a much larger one. Naznet.com is the smaller congregation. We will need to be on our best behavior. We are the scary, new people.
    Even YOU? Even Jim? This I gotta see!

Host Theology Forum David Graham's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

I must admit, I do worry a little that some of my Parishioners might see what I've typed on FB a lot easier. While I've never made it any secret that I am a regular participant on NN, no one in my local parish (or Presbytery) as far as I know has ever been there to check out what I've written. On the other hand most of my congregation is on FB already.... so it might be easier for them.

I'm not too worried about my behaviour (I have tried to maintain a strong Christian witness in my posts) but if I take a strong stand on a particular theological issue that someone doesn't agree with....hmmmm. Maybe it'll test the tolerance of my "Broad Church" at the local level at least.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Graham View Post
    I must admit, I do worry a little that some of my Parishioners might see what I've typed on FB a lot easier. While I've never made it any secret that I am a regular participant on NN, no one in my local parish (or Presbytery) as far as I know has ever been there to check out what I've written. On the other hand most of my congregation is on FB already.... so it might be easier for them.

I'm not too worried about my behaviour (I have tried to maintain a strong Christian witness in my posts) but if I take a strong stand on a particular theological issue that someone doesn't agree with....hmmmm. Maybe it'll test the tolerance of my "Broad Church" at the local level at least.
    They'd have to join the NazNet FB group to see your comments, since it's a closed group. (All 3 of them are: NazNet General Discussion, NazNet Theology, and NazNet Pastors.)

In contrast, if they google your name, NazNet.com forum threads can appear in the results, since this is an open group.
    Thanks David Graham, John F Martin - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hamilton View Post
    So how do we join the.Naznet group on Facebook
    FB ? Do we need to join as a new member?
    Just go to the group and click the Join link. There's a question or two for you to answer, and then they'll quickly approve you.

The main General Discussion group is here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/21159039720/

Post Thanks / Like

They'd have to join the NazNet FB group to see your comments, since it's a closed group. (All 3 of them are: NazNet General Discussion, NazNet Theology, and NazNet Pastors.)

In contrast, if they google your name, NazNet.com forum threads can appear in the results, since this is an open group.
    That's true, but they are more likely to notice something called "NazNet" and feel compelled to join the group on Facebook than they were to stumble upon it here. Which might be part of Dave's and Scott's goal. But that doesn't work for me. Living in an ultra conservative area and ministering to ultra conservative people requires me to be very careful and guarded in the way I say things. NazNetDOTCOM has been a great place for me to speak a little freer. But no more. So thanks for that and stuff.

Thanks David Graham, Marsha Lynn - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

... I hope this doesn't push everyone away from center and more deeply to the right. One thing I loved about naznet was how diverse the oppions are

Post Thanks / Like

That's true, but they are more likely to notice something called "NazNet" and feel compelled to join the group on Facebook than they were to stumble upon it here. Which might be part of Dave's and Scott's goal. But that doesn't work for me. Living in an ultra conservative area and ministering to ultra conservative people requires me to be very careful and guarded in the way I say things. NazNetDOTCOM has been a great place for me to speak a little freer. But no more. So thanks for that and stuff.
    I can see where you're coming from. I guess for me it's been the opposite. I've had someone from my church tell me they follow my posts on NazNet, I think because they found it through Google. But I've never had any of them join one of the closed FB groups I'm part of (as far as I know). But then, my church isn't overly "Nazarene" in makeup, either.

I certainly hope to see you on FB. I appreciate your contributions and would hate to lose them.

Post Thanks / Like

Will the new format categorize the topics?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, posts in the FB closed group will be *less* available to casual observers than posts on Naznet.com.
    - C.S. Lewis

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Franklin View Post
    Will the new format categorize the topics?
    Not that I have seen so far.

There is a "general discussion" where everyone talks about everything.
    There is a theology one that has had no activity for 2 days... Tho maybe not enough people have joined it yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok. So I did a blast of posts from this forum to the Facebook group to see what would happen. It took some coaxing but some finally took off. What is concerning to me is that the community is certainly different. This group developed into a family with open windows where visitors could either join in or just watch.

Now the family is moving to a new house where a family already lives. My posts probably came across as rude or intrusive and I didn't engage in conversation about the things they care about which is primarily photos, songs, and general chit chat. I could be content living in the theology and pastor groups, but others in this family may not visit there often or even be allowed.

I have learned an important thing about the church. We can change things, but we must give people the time to mourn what they are losing. Moving to Facebook is a loss that many will mourn. We can change, but we need to give ourselves the opportunity to lament what we are losing and to hurt.

Some of the reactions on the general discussion page have reminded me why I am building the church I am. Some of the responses are quite short and abrasive. They don't want to work through anything or think about it. They just want their church the way they want it. Which is how it used to be. Unfortunately this position leaves no room for our youth and is why they are leaving. Quite frankly after some of the answers, it causes me to wonder why I am Nazarene. Do I want to be a part of a church that has them in it?

We have learned lessons here in how to communicate, argue, and even fight. We have learned that sometimes we need a referee to step in and diffuse situations and remind some to forgive or seek forgiveness. There are so many more out on Facebook on those NazNet pages that don't have that experience.

Will I continue to post on the general discussion group? I don't know. A part of me wants to force them out of their comfort zone and really think about what their language means to their neighbor. Another part of me thinks I should just leave it alone and go love my neighbor.

Pastors, I will see you around as I will continue posting in Theology and pastors for sure. As for the general discussion? I'm not sure. If you want to be my friend on Facebook, send me an invite and you can follow along as I share the journey of my church on my own timeline.
    Thanks Susan Unger, Cynthia Prentice, Rich Schmidt - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Borger View Post
    Ok. So I did a blast of posts from this forum to the Facebook group to see what would happen. It took some coaxing but some finally took off. What is concerning to me is that the community is certainly different. This group developed into a family with open windows where visitors could either join in or just watch.

Now the family is moving to a new house where a family already lives. My posts probably came across as rude or intrusive and I didn't engage in conversation about the things they care about which is primarily photos, songs, and general chit chat. I could be content living in the theology and pastor groups, but others in this family may not visit there often or even be allowed.

I have learned an important thing about the church. We can change things, but we must give people the time to mourn what they are losing. Moving to Facebook is a loss that many will mourn. We can change, but we need to give ourselves the opportunity to lament what we are losing and to hurt.

Some of the reactions on the general discussion page have reminded me why I am building the church I am. Some of the responses are quite short and abrasive. They don't want to work through anything or think about it. They just want their church the way they want it. Which is how it used to be. Unfortunately this position leaves no room for our youth and is why they are leaving. Quite frankly after some of the answers, it causes me to wonder why I am Nazarene. Do I want to be a part of a church that has them in it?

We have learned lessons here in how to communicate, argue, and even fight. We have learned that sometimes we need a referee to step in and diffuse situations and remind some to forgive or seek forgiveness. There are so many more out on Facebook on those NazNet pages that don't have that experience.

Will I continue to post on the general discussion group? I don't know. A part of me wants to force them out of their comfort zone and really think about what their language means to their neighbor. Another part of me thinks I should just leave it alone and go love my neighbor.

Pastors, I will see you around as I will continue posting in Theology and pastors for sure. As for the general discussion? I'm not sure. If you want to be my friend on Facebook, send me an invite and you can follow along as I share the journey of my church on my own timeline.
    I imagine that the indigenous FB General Discussion group skews far more traditional than NazNet.com. I can envision them being shocked by this sudden influx of 'liberal' hell-raisers.
    - C.S. Lewis
    Thanks Susan Unger, Cynthia Prentice - "thanks" for this post
    Laughing Phil Michaels - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

I imagine that the indigenous FB General Discussion group skews far more traditional than NazNet.com. I can envision them being shocked by this sudden influx of 'liberal' hell-raisers.
    I can only imagine some of their responses to your sometimes difficult and pointed questions. I know sometimes I had to take a breather from you and calm down to give serious consideration to your point. It will take a concentrated effort by several to endure over there, and even then, they could still just leave.
    Thanks Susan Unger - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Please don't take all the INTERESTING conversations to the "pastors only" section! I'd be so sad!
    Thanks Susan Unger, Rich Schmidt, Cynthia Prentice - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Some of those responses took my breath away. I had gotten used to how things operate here with our personalities; while this was a whole 'nother kettle of fish.
    Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. 1 John 3:18

There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. 1 John 4:18a

Become an organ donor ~ donatelife.net ~ www.organdonor.gov

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully we can all get along on FB. Kyle, I appreciate you moving the posts, but remember in starkness my early brush with the COTN out of high school. Becsue I was already feeling hemmed in by a legalistic tending tradition, I wrote off Nazrenes as a whole. Fortunately, loving people tried to show me the differemt expressions of Holiness. I met my wife who is a cradle Nazatrene, but we did not begin getting involved in the COTN until over halfway through our now 21 year marriage. Naznet helped me on my journey and I hope that the deep, thoughtful, and even contentious discussions can keep up on FB. I would hate to confine myself to NazToo and other FB groups to which I belong. I would miss everyine here. Maybe we need to remind everyone that “iron sharpens iron” as Redditors like to remind each other.
    Thanks Susan Unger, Craig Laughlin - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I can only imagine some of their responses to your sometimes difficult and pointed questions. I know sometimes I had to take a breather from you and calm down to give serious consideration to your point. It will take a concentrated effort by several to endure over there, and even then, they could still just leave.
    I intend to temper my more provocative side. Even so, some will do what traditionalists do when they encounter cognitive dissonance - flee.
    - C.S. Lewis
    Thanks Cynthia Prentice, Craig Laughlin - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

In the past couple of days, one of my posts was removed with no reason given by the moderator. I guess that's their right. My post was meant to be helpful, in a cut-to-the-chase kind of way. Obviously, it wasn't viewed that way. Cool. I just hope that posts on the FB site won't be treated the same way, or it will become very boring very fast.

Post Thanks / Like

I intend to temper my more provocative side. Even so, some will do what traditionalists do when they encounter cognitive dissonance - flee.
    But that won’t be any fun.
    Thanks Lucas Finch - "thanks" for this post
    Laughing Lucas Finch, Cynthia Prentice - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bourland View Post
    In the past couple of days, one of my posts was removed with no reason given by the moderator. I guess that's their right. My post was meant to be helpful, in a cut-to-the-chase kind of way. Obviously, it wasn't viewed that way. Cool. I just hope that posts on the FB site won't be treated the same way, or it will become very boring very fast.
    Don't feel bad Tim. I had an entire thread deleted with no explanation given . I'm not mad and can assume it was because of the political overtone comment I made (regretfully) with the attached link. It would be nice to know for sure though so i wouldn't have made the same mistake again. I don't even know which moderator to ask. The funny part was, the smart alek comment wasn't even as political as some of the anti gun threads on here that are allowed to stay.

They will HAVE to be even more stringent on FB with the one line blow and go attitude of many people on social media.

Post Thanks / Like

I've archived some threads that I may want to refer back to some time:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...kU?usp=sharing
    Thanks Cynthia Prentice, Rich Schmidt - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bourland View Post
    I'm such a prolific poster, I might not notice that a post has been removed.
    - C.S. Lewis
    Laughing Cynthia Prentice - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bentley View Post
    Don't feel bad Tim. I had an entire thread deleted with no explanation given . I'm not mad and can assume it was because of the political overtone comment I made (regretfully) with the attached link. It would be nice to know for sure though so i wouldn't have made the same mistake again. I don't even know which moderator to ask. The funny part was, the smart alek comment wasn't even as political as some of the anti gun threads on here that are allowed to stay.

They will HAVE to be even more stringent on FB with the one line blow and go attitude of many people on social media.
    I just looked and no moderator has removed any threads or posts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Brown View Post
    But that won’t be any fun.
    Well, you know what they say about good intentions.
    - C.S. Lewis

Post Thanks / Like

I just looked and no moderator has removed any threads or posts.
    Scott...it was. It was the post titled "Speechless" where Wilson hammered on me for not being so speechless about the media. I had linked an article about the court case in the UK in which the hospital took the case to court and court ruled against the parents to be able to move their child to America in a last ditch effort to save it. I even had "like" from Jim C that also is gone. So SOMEONE removed it. It was just in the last couple of week. (edit - In fact, it might have been last Saturday but not for sure and when you "search", the post comes up but when you click on the link, it says it was removed)

Host - Theology Forum Cynthia Prentice's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Wright View Post
    I've archived some threads that I may want to refer back to some time:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...kU?usp=sharing
    I seriously need to learn how to do this.
    "I'll give you a full life in the emptiest of places...You'll use the old rubble of past lives to build anew... You'll be known as those who can fix anything, restore old ruins, rebuild and renovate, make the community livable again." Isaiah 58:11-12 (THE MESSAGE)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvhP_xORvgE new for 2014!

Post Thanks / Like

Scott...it was. It was the post titled "Speechless" where Wilson hammered on me for not being so speechless about the media. I had linked an article about the court case in the UK in which the hospital took the case to court and court ruled against the parents to be able to move their child to America in a last ditch effort to save it. I even had "like" from Jim C that also is gone. So SOMEONE removed it. It was just in the last couple of week. (edit - In fact, it might have been last Saturday but not for sure and when you "search", the post comes up but when you click on the link, it says it was removed)
    Oh yeah, I had a mental comment to that but when I had time to sit down and write it it was gone.

I reasoned:. I can easily see how this must have become a political war while I was gone

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emiko Cothran View Post
    Oh yeah, I had a mental comment to that but when I had time to sit down and write it it was gone.

I reasoned:. I can easily see how this must have become a political war while I was gone
    That's what I figured Emiko. After I posted it, I spent the next day in Austin with friends at a pool so I didn't check it at all until two days later and POOF, no where to be found

Post Thanks / Like

That's what I figured Emiko. After I posted it, I spent the next day in Austin with friends at a pool so I didn't check it at all until two days later and POOF, no where to be found
    I'm not doubting you, but for some reason it doesn't show up in the logs. We're you starting a thread or replying to someone?

+ Reply to Thread