+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Cox View Post
    My heart and soul are in most of the posts I have posted over the past seven years and I would like to preserve them. I have the database savvy to process a raw SQL table into readable form.

By contrast, the posting search has a cap of 500 records.
    I was imagining something that would "scrape" all the contents into flat HTML files. But perhaps there's a better way to handle it. I imagine others have attempted this and perhaps solved it with this particular software. I've not looked into it at all.
    Thanks Cynthia Prentice - "thanks" for this post

Host Fun & Prayer forums Gina Stevenson's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Schmidt View Post
    I was imagining something that would "scrape" all the contents into flat HTML files. But perhaps there's a better way to handle it. I imagine others have attempted this and perhaps solved it with this particular software. I've not looked into it at all.
    Maybe before July's over . . . someone will figure something out???
    Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one. ~ Stella Adler
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    It takes a great deal of maturity to accept that trying to eliminate all risk eliminates life. ~ Susan Lapin ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    His anger lasts only a moment, but His favor lasts a lifetime! Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning. Psalm 30:5 (NLT)

Site Manager G R 'Scott' Cundiff's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Out of curiosity... How huge?
    Not as big as I thought it was - a couple of GB. Not sure if that includes the images or not.

Frankly, though, I think we should see the move as a fresh start.

Post Thanks / Like

Betty, it says at the top "1848 members." Again, when I clicked on that, all it did was highlight the NazNet mug picture (like happens w/any picture on FB), and nothing about members, but only Scott's name since he apparently set up that header picture there.

Possibly you can only see it on a PC? Also, as for searching for members, nothing like that either. There's an "add members" there that brings up one's own "friends" list, period. Maybe it's due to being on a phone?
    Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one. ~ Stella Adler
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    It takes a great deal of maturity to accept that trying to eliminate all risk eliminates life. ~ Susan Lapin ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    His anger lasts only a moment, but His favor lasts a lifetime! Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning. Psalm 30:5 (NLT)
    Thanks John F Martin - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G R 'Scott' Cundiff View Post
    Not as big as I thought it was - a couple of GB. Not sure if that includes the images or not.

But some things have been EXPLAINED SO WELL over the years (theology forum for instance), a couple GB (that all? Must be just text, but that would be fine!!) saved somewhere for folks to DL eventually, would be good. Then someone could go there for help in explaining some things to others, not having to TRY to formulate lengthy explanations all over again, no??

Also this would include the technical stuff. Yes, technology advances, but some things don't change re all the 'puter questions folks have had.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G R 'Scott' Cundiff View Post

I'm fine with a fresh start. All new discussions on FB. I'd just love to keep the archive available so all the great conversations don't vanish. Lots of great resources and explanations have been shared here. I'm sure I won't remember all of them or have time to try to grab them all before August.

Post Thanks / Like

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0068.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	9000

Here is a magnified view (screenshot) from my iPad. If you click on the number of members it should pop up a list of members.
    Thanks Betty Bolerjack - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm fine with a fresh start. All new discussions on FB. I'd just love to keep the archive available so all the great conversations don't vanish. Lots of great resources and explanations have been shared here. I'm sure I won't remember all of them or have time to try to grab them all before August.
    Several years ago an active NazNetter was killed in a terrible accident. His parents asked if we could save the threads where he participated on NazNet. We honored their request, but it took many, many hours of work to recover and print out those threads. I seriously doubt that the parents have ever read most of them.

I will preserve the data base, but at this point it isn't clear that it will be practical to access it.

Host Theology Forum David Graham's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to add my vote of thanks Dave for your generous contribution to the life of the church (both CotN and the general church) through the provision of this website and its ongoing upgrades and maintenance. It has helped me to remain connected to a theological perspective that is dear to my heart and I believe that I have made some great "on line" friends as a result. So yes, I will feel saddened by its passing in the present format but look forward to interacting in our various forums on facebook.

So thanks Dave and bless you for your ongoing support.
    Thanks John Kennedy, John Reilly, John F Martin - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Finch View Post
    Thanks for providing this little space for us on the interwebz for so many years, Dave! I respect your decision, and I agree that Facebook is the format that online discussion is going to. Still . . . this makes me sad.

I'm an avid Facebooker, so my disappointment isn't against Facebook at all. The format that discussion takes place in on Facebook is more difficult, in my opinion, to have a real, ongoing conversation. Certainly not at the depth that they have taken place on NazNet over the years. Frankly, I also do not feel as free to have the kind of conversations that I have here on Facebook. I know that NazNet is public, and I stand by everything that I have ever posted here, but NazNet has been a great place away from the people in my primary ministry context that I can let my hair down (Ha!) and speak a little freer than I feel I can do on Facebook. I have learned a ton from y'all over the years. You have broadened my perspective on our great church. (And hopefully, you all have benefited a little from my involvement as well.)

But alas! Such is life! All good things must come to an end. Though I will be a part of the groups and follow the conversation there from time to time, I don't see myself becoming a very active part of those groups. But maybe. Who knows. I never really anticipated getting drawn into NazNet like I have, either.
    This^^^

It's odd, I know, but I feel comfortable here on this public forum and like an exposed target even in closed groups on FB. Like Lucas, I question how much I will participate in any of the FB forums.

Still, NazNet came along when I was desperate for it. I will never feel as alone again as I did before I knew there were others in the CotN with the same questions, struggles, and interests I had.

And now I will finally break the NazNet habit. I wonder how long the pink elephants* stay around during the withdrawal phase.
    --------

*I can't let NazNet go without at least one reference to something Brad Mercer shared with us, even if it is just the "pink elephants."
    Only the power of the Holy Spirit can get truth past the obvious.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marsha Lynn View Post
    This^^^

It's odd, I know, but I feel comfortable here on this public forum and like an exposed target even in closed groups on FB. Like Lucas, I question how much I will participate in any of the FB forums.

Still, NazNet came along when I was desperate for it. I will never feel as alone again as I did before I knew there were others in the CotN with the same questions, struggles, and interests I had.

And now I will finally break the NazNet habit. I wonder how long the pink elephants* stay around during the withdrawal phase.
    --------

*I can't let NazNet go without at least one reference to something Brad Mercer shared with us, even if it is just the "pink elephants."
    Marsha, regardless of this forum, we will want to know your church's progress in the pastoral search and your part in it.
    dave t
    Thanks Gina Stevenson - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Troxler View Post
    Marsha, regardless of this forum, we will want to know your church's progress in the pastoral search and your part in it.
    dave t
    Thanks for your interest, Dave. I'm anxious to know how that all works out as well!

This is a good example of a topic I can't imagine addressing in a FB forum. Who knows who might be "listening" in, if not today then next week or next month? I know SO many more people who regularly read FB than who come around here.

Everyone who knows me well IRL knows I hang out here. Those who have no interest in hearing my words in person extend that same disinterest to forums where they know no one except me. Even those who do take interest in my words hear enough of them that they feel no need to seek out any more. Which makes this a safe place for me. Facebook is not such a place, not even in closed groups.

Still, it has been good. A few years ago one of my closest friends abruptly quit talking to me. Completely, except for just enough words in social situations so that no one around us noticed. Worse, I got the distinct impression I should not address it, and, more, could find no opportunity to address it. I still don't know what happened. The silence lasted for two years and then ended just about as suddenly as it began. But in those days of silence, I realized several things:

1. I trust this person more than just about anyone else in the world. I had faith that whatever was behind the silence justified it and that if I knew what it was I would understand and agree with the response. No explanation was needed.

2. For more than seven years I had benefited enormously from this person's friendship. It literally changed my life in more ways than I could fathom. And even if the silence was forever, not a bit of what I had gained during those years would be lost. The gift of the seven years was a treasure I would always have. If I never had another conversation with this person, I would still come out so far ahead it would be completely ungrateful to complain.

The lesson I learned in that silence has been of value in other situations. This is one of them. Even if I never find another forum in which I can express thoughts like this, the value of the 20+ years I have enjoyed this level of Nazarene fellowship on the internet is a priceless treasure I will always value. What a joy to be able to explore my faith in dialog with the wonderful folks of NazNet. (And before NazNet on AOL forums and in the NazTalk email group.) Rather than crying because it is over, I need to marvel in the fact that it happened. Last week in Indianapolis, I received a hug from an Australian who has been another treasure in my life through NazNet and other early forums. What a gift from God!
    Save
    Save
    Save
    Only the power of the Holy Spirit can get truth past the obvious.

Post Thanks / Like

Boooooo boooooo. I am one who is not happy at all to find out that Naznet is going "into the mist." The people I've met here have become very important to me. I don't feel at all like thanking Dave for anything right now. I feel like I've been dumped. But I'll do my best to get onboard on FB. Yuk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks Cam Pence, Lucas Finch, John Reilly - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Gates View Post
    Boooooo boooooo. I am one who is not happy at all to find out that Naznet is going "into the mist." The people I've met here have become very important to me. I don't feel at all like thanking Dave for anything right now. I feel like I've been dumped. But I'll do my best to get onboard on FB. Yuk.

I'm pretty sad about it as well and would be surprised if I end up being nearly as active on NN on FB as I am on here but if I'm being honest, its not like I couldn't see this happening sooner or later
    “So there are no nontheologians; there is just good theology and bad theology.”- Will Willimon

Post Thanks / Like

Dave, THANKS hardly seems enough.

I'd encourage those who are afraid of FB to give it a try. In all honesty, when I first came here to NazNet, I found the interface quite intimidating, but kept with it. I think I can do most things now, except I never quite figured out how to easily change my pic. And, I'm a bit sad that I'll not have a congrats from Marg Shurtliff when I pass the next 1,000 post milestone...I don't think FB keeps track of those kinds of metrics.

But, the only thing in life that stays the same is change, and as a missionary, that certainly has been a big theme.

One last note: Since I know many Africans who regularly use FB, I hope to refer them to NazNet on FaceBook. I hope that moderators will be ready to approve their participation in the group. Who knows? Maybe even our new Mozambican G.S. will join!

For those who know French...

Ce n'est qu'un au revoir...
    Achiever - Learner -Context - Intellection - Input

Visit my theology weblog at: gregorycrofford.com
    Amazon author page: https://amazon.com/author/jgregorycrofford
    Facebook: Greg Crofford
    Twitter: @africasojourner
    Thanks David Graham, John Reilly, Betty Bolerjack - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Out of curiosity... How huge?
    Yuge. Really yuge. And we'll make Mexico pay for it!
    Laughing David Graham, John Kennedy - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Flowers View Post
    Attachment 9000

Here is a magnified view (screenshot) from my iPad. If you click on the number of members it should pop up a list of members.
    Looks so totally different from here. You don't have the picture of the NazNet mug somewhere near the top? Anyway, here the only place one sees that membership number is pasted over that picture, so hitting anywhere on/around it only does that picture highlighting of which I spoke.

Finally did find, after clicking all over the place, that clicking on "Info" it brings up a list: Members, Notification Settings, Share Group, Photos, Events, Files. So we clicked on Members & there is a list. With so many on it, it's a shame you can't do a search near the name you left off at (it brings up about ten names, then you have to click "see more" to see more. If you don't have time to do that over & over for about 185 times, I found you cannot start midway through list later, as I tried that by finally stopping by a name I know, going back awhile later, going to that name % hoping to continue from there. Nope. Have to start all over! So how anyone would actually see all the names, no idea . . . .
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Host CE and Gen. Disc. forums David Parker's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gina Stevenson View Post
    Looks so totally different from here. You don't have the picture of the NazNet mug somewhere near the top? Anyway, here the only place one sees that membership number is pasted over that picture, so hitting anywhere on/around it only does that picture highlighting of which I spoke.

Finally did find, after clicking all over the place, that clicking on "Info" it brings up a list: Members, Notification Settings, Share Group, Photos, Events, Files. So we clicked on Members & there is a list. With so many on it, it's a shame you can't do a search near the name you left off at (it brings up about ten names, then you have to click "see more" to see more. If you don't have time to do that over & over for about 185 times, I found you cannot start midway through list later, as I tried that by finally stopping by a name I know, going back awhile later, going to that name % hoping to continue from there. Nope. Have to start all over! So how anyone would actually see all the names, no idea . . . .
    I have a "Find a Member" search box at the top right side of the member list. A big difference may be what you are using to view FB. It will behave differently on a phone or tablet than it does on a PC. You will only get all the features on a PC due to space restrictions on a smaller screen.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Though we cannot think alike, may we not love alike? May we not be of one heart, though we are not of one opinion? Without all doubt, we may." ~ John Wesley
    Thanks Betty Bolerjack, Gina Stevenson - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Crofford View Post
    I'd encourage those who are afraid of FB to give it a try.
    For me, it's not an aversion to Facebook at all. Some of y'all know that I use Facebook a little too much. My issue is the format for the kind of conversations we have at NazNet. Facebook just doesn't cut it (in my opinion, of course). Things aren't grouped by subject. It is too easy to hit "Return" and have comments posted before thoughts are completed. There isn't a quote function. There isn't even a way to change text formats. (GIFs are a thing now, though, so that's cool and stuff.)

I love Facebook, but it absolutely isn't a replacement for what we have here. But . . . I understand that Dave is the owner of this site, and if he wants to close shop here, that is entirely within his rights.

StrengthsFinder Top 5: Input ---------- Intellection ---------- Connectedness ---------- Context ---------- Belief

Myers-Briggs Type: Introversion ---------- Intuition ---------- Feeling ---------- Perception (INFP)

My Website & Blog: alucasfinch.net

Post Thanks / Like

StrengthsFinder Top 5: Input ---------- Intellection ---------- Connectedness ---------- Context ---------- Belief

Myers-Briggs Type: Introversion ---------- Intuition ---------- Feeling ---------- Perception (INFP)

Laughing Cam Pence, Brandon Brown - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone . . . join me in singing M.W. Smith's Friends.

Side Note: Has anyone else noticed how much Steven Curtis Chapman looks like Neil Patrick Harris?

Thanks Gina Stevenson, Jeremy D. Scott, John F Martin - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Side Note: Has anyone else noticed how much Steven Curtis Chapman looks like Neil Patrick Harris?
    Or maybe more of a mix of Neil Patrick Harris and Kevin Bacon.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I came on to NN in '99. I had been out of the church since the 70's. I was immediately impressed by the opportunity it afforded for people to express differing points of view. It was interesting to see the reactions of some - they would express astonishment (and sometimes indignation) when they read points of view with which they differed. "How could a Nazarene say
    (or even think) something like that?" NN afforded a daily opportunity to see that God's people didn't necessarily have to agree on everything.
    I've really appreciated Dave and Linda's willingness to support the 'ministry' of NazNet. Yes, I definitely consider it to be a ministry in terms of helping build community among participants. I think even in the times of greatest disagreement this community building was still going on. Said it before and I'll say it again - I view Naznet, even though it is unofficial, as one of the most positive things to happen in the CotN in recent years.
    I expect the move to FB to continue to develop fellowship. I don't have the same hopes for the discussion aspect. I've been on FB for several years and carrying on a coherent discussion of any length simply doesn't seem to work. You can post and response to something and then try to come back to follow things further and get very frustrated when you can find it again. Maybe that's just my ineptitude with these here electric computers.
    It's been, for me, an enjoyable 18 year run.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave McClung View Post
    Several years ago an active NazNetter was killed in a terrible accident. His parents asked if we could save the threads where he participated on NazNet. We honored their request, but it took many, many hours of work to recover and print out those threads. I seriously doubt that the parents have ever read most of them.

I will preserve the data base, but at this point it isn't clear that it will be practical to access it.
    It is quite simple to extract a user's posts from what I presume is a MySQL table. The query would take about 5 minutes to write, run and then dump to a spreadsheet format. (CSV)
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us wthout end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
    - C.S. Lewis
    Thanks Cynthia Prentice, Betty Bolerjack, Gina Stevenson - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

It is quite simple to extract a user's posts from what I presume is a MySQL table. The query would take about 5 minutes to write, run and then dump to a spreadsheet format. (CSV)
    And...here's instructions for doing it:

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...s-posts-to-csv
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us wthout end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
    - C.S. Lewis
    Thanks Cynthia Prentice - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I have the mug, just excluded it from the screen shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Parker View Post
    I have a "Find a Member" search box at the top right side of the member list. A big difference may be what you are using to view FB. It will behave differently on a phone or tablet than it does on a PC. You will only get all the features on a PC due to space restrictions on a smaller screen.
    Tho't maybe there were things excluded here.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Flowers View Post
    Yes, I have the mug, just excluded it from the screen shot.
    But clicking here nets only the picture; most likely a phone limitation again (windows one, which I'm coming to hate. MS took the once-nice Nokia phone & made a mess of it, it doth appear.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Post Thanks / Like

Betty, it says at the top "1848 members." Again, when I clicked on that, all it did was highlight the NazNet mug picture (like happens w/any picture on FB), and nothing about members, but only Scott's name since he apparently set up that header picture there.

Possibly you can only see it on a PC? Also, as for searching for members, nothing like that either. There's an "add members" there that brings up one's own "friends" list, period. Maybe it's due to being on a phone?
    I am using the Facebook app for my Android, not the internet app. If you tap on "Info" you will see an option for "Members." Tap on that and the member list comes up. There is an option to see more as you scroll through the names.
    Godspeed.

Mark B

www.mbb.helo.life

Post Thanks / Like

So how do we join the.Naznet group on Facebook
    FB ? Do we need to join as a new member?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolerjack View Post
    I am using the Facebook app for my Android, not the internet app. If you tap on "Info" you will see an option for "Members." Tap on that and the member list comes up. There is an option to see more as you scroll through the names.
    I liken it to a small congregation being merged into a much larger one. Naznet.com is the smaller congregation. We will need to be on our best behavior. We are the scary, new people.
    - C.S. Lewis
    Thanks Craig Laughlin - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

We will need to be on our best behavior. We are the scary, new people.
    I don't have a best behavior.

Thanks John F Martin - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I liken it to a small congregation being merged into a much larger one. Naznet.com is the smaller congregation. We will need to be on our best behavior. We are the scary, new people.
    Even YOU? Even Jim? This I gotta see!

Host Theology Forum David Graham's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

I must admit, I do worry a little that some of my Parishioners might see what I've typed on FB a lot easier. While I've never made it any secret that I am a regular participant on NN, no one in my local parish (or Presbytery) as far as I know has ever been there to check out what I've written. On the other hand most of my congregation is on FB already.... so it might be easier for them.

I'm not too worried about my behaviour (I have tried to maintain a strong Christian witness in my posts) but if I take a strong stand on a particular theological issue that someone doesn't agree with....hmmmm. Maybe it'll test the tolerance of my "Broad Church" at the local level at least.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Graham View Post
    I must admit, I do worry a little that some of my Parishioners might see what I've typed on FB a lot easier. While I've never made it any secret that I am a regular participant on NN, no one in my local parish (or Presbytery) as far as I know has ever been there to check out what I've written. On the other hand most of my congregation is on FB already.... so it might be easier for them.

I'm not too worried about my behaviour (I have tried to maintain a strong Christian witness in my posts) but if I take a strong stand on a particular theological issue that someone doesn't agree with....hmmmm. Maybe it'll test the tolerance of my "Broad Church" at the local level at least.
    They'd have to join the NazNet FB group to see your comments, since it's a closed group. (All 3 of them are: NazNet General Discussion, NazNet Theology, and NazNet Pastors.)

In contrast, if they google your name, NazNet.com forum threads can appear in the results, since this is an open group.
    Thanks David Graham, John F Martin - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hamilton View Post
    So how do we join the.Naznet group on Facebook
    FB ? Do we need to join as a new member?
    Just go to the group and click the Join link. There's a question or two for you to answer, and then they'll quickly approve you.

The main General Discussion group is here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/21159039720/

Post Thanks / Like

They'd have to join the NazNet FB group to see your comments, since it's a closed group. (All 3 of them are: NazNet General Discussion, NazNet Theology, and NazNet Pastors.)

In contrast, if they google your name, NazNet.com forum threads can appear in the results, since this is an open group.
    That's true, but they are more likely to notice something called "NazNet" and feel compelled to join the group on Facebook than they were to stumble upon it here. Which might be part of Dave's and Scott's goal. But that doesn't work for me. Living in an ultra conservative area and ministering to ultra conservative people requires me to be very careful and guarded in the way I say things. NazNetDOTCOM has been a great place for me to speak a little freer. But no more. So thanks for that and stuff.

Thanks David Graham, Marsha Lynn - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

... I hope this doesn't push everyone away from center and more deeply to the right. One thing I loved about naznet was how diverse the oppions are

Post Thanks / Like

That's true, but they are more likely to notice something called "NazNet" and feel compelled to join the group on Facebook than they were to stumble upon it here. Which might be part of Dave's and Scott's goal. But that doesn't work for me. Living in an ultra conservative area and ministering to ultra conservative people requires me to be very careful and guarded in the way I say things. NazNetDOTCOM has been a great place for me to speak a little freer. But no more. So thanks for that and stuff.
    I can see where you're coming from. I guess for me it's been the opposite. I've had someone from my church tell me they follow my posts on NazNet, I think because they found it through Google. But I've never had any of them join one of the closed FB groups I'm part of (as far as I know). But then, my church isn't overly "Nazarene" in makeup, either.

I certainly hope to see you on FB. I appreciate your contributions and would hate to lose them.

Post Thanks / Like

Will the new format categorize the topics?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, posts in the FB closed group will be *less* available to casual observers than posts on Naznet.com.
    - C.S. Lewis

+ Reply to Thread