+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 81 to 120 of 133

Thread: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

  1. #81
    Senior Member Emiko Cothran's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Roseburg, OR
    Posts
    1,048
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Franklin View Post
    Will the new format categorize the topics?
    Not that I have seen so far.

    There is a "general discussion" where everyone talks about everything.
    There is a theology one that has had no activity for 2 days... Tho maybe not enough people have joined it yet.

  2. #82
    Senior Member Kyle Borger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Torrington Wyoming
    Posts
    1,692
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Ok. So I did a blast of posts from this forum to the Facebook group to see what would happen. It took some coaxing but some finally took off. What is concerning to me is that the community is certainly different. This group developed into a family with open windows where visitors could either join in or just watch.

    Now the family is moving to a new house where a family already lives. My posts probably came across as rude or intrusive and I didn't engage in conversation about the things they care about which is primarily photos, songs, and general chit chat. I could be content living in the theology and pastor groups, but others in this family may not visit there often or even be allowed.

    I have learned an important thing about the church. We can change things, but we must give people the time to mourn what they are losing. Moving to Facebook is a loss that many will mourn. We can change, but we need to give ourselves the opportunity to lament what we are losing and to hurt.

    Some of the reactions on the general discussion page have reminded me why I am building the church I am. Some of the responses are quite short and abrasive. They don't want to work through anything or think about it. They just want their church the way they want it. Which is how it used to be. Unfortunately this position leaves no room for our youth and is why they are leaving. Quite frankly after some of the answers, it causes me to wonder why I am Nazarene. Do I want to be a part of a church that has them in it?

    We have learned lessons here in how to communicate, argue, and even fight. We have learned that sometimes we need a referee to step in and diffuse situations and remind some to forgive or seek forgiveness. There are so many more out on Facebook on those NazNet pages that don't have that experience.

    Will I continue to post on the general discussion group? I don't know. A part of me wants to force them out of their comfort zone and really think about what their language means to their neighbor. Another part of me thinks I should just leave it alone and go love my neighbor.

    Pastors, I will see you around as I will continue posting in Theology and pastors for sure. As for the general discussion? I'm not sure. If you want to be my friend on Facebook, send me an invite and you can follow along as I share the journey of my church on my own timeline.
    Thanks Susan Unger, Cynthia Prentice, Rich Schmidt - "thanks" for this post

  3. #83
    Senior Member Billy Cox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    10,619
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Borger View Post
    Ok. So I did a blast of posts from this forum to the Facebook group to see what would happen. It took some coaxing but some finally took off. What is concerning to me is that the community is certainly different. This group developed into a family with open windows where visitors could either join in or just watch.

    Now the family is moving to a new house where a family already lives. My posts probably came across as rude or intrusive and I didn't engage in conversation about the things they care about which is primarily photos, songs, and general chit chat. I could be content living in the theology and pastor groups, but others in this family may not visit there often or even be allowed.

    I have learned an important thing about the church. We can change things, but we must give people the time to mourn what they are losing. Moving to Facebook is a loss that many will mourn. We can change, but we need to give ourselves the opportunity to lament what we are losing and to hurt.

    Some of the reactions on the general discussion page have reminded me why I am building the church I am. Some of the responses are quite short and abrasive. They don't want to work through anything or think about it. They just want their church the way they want it. Which is how it used to be. Unfortunately this position leaves no room for our youth and is why they are leaving. Quite frankly after some of the answers, it causes me to wonder why I am Nazarene. Do I want to be a part of a church that has them in it?

    We have learned lessons here in how to communicate, argue, and even fight. We have learned that sometimes we need a referee to step in and diffuse situations and remind some to forgive or seek forgiveness. There are so many more out on Facebook on those NazNet pages that don't have that experience.

    Will I continue to post on the general discussion group? I don't know. A part of me wants to force them out of their comfort zone and really think about what their language means to their neighbor. Another part of me thinks I should just leave it alone and go love my neighbor.

    Pastors, I will see you around as I will continue posting in Theology and pastors for sure. As for the general discussion? I'm not sure. If you want to be my friend on Facebook, send me an invite and you can follow along as I share the journey of my church on my own timeline.
    I imagine that the indigenous FB General Discussion group skews far more traditional than NazNet.com. I can envision them being shocked by this sudden influx of 'liberal' hell-raisers.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us wthout end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
    - C.S. Lewis
    Thanks Susan Unger, Cynthia Prentice - "thanks" for this post
    Laughing Phil Michaels - thanks for this funny post

  4. #84
    Senior Member Kyle Borger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Torrington Wyoming
    Posts
    1,692
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Cox View Post
    I imagine that the indigenous FB General Discussion group skews far more traditional than NazNet.com. I can envision them being shocked by this sudden influx of 'liberal' hell-raisers.
    I can only imagine some of their responses to your sometimes difficult and pointed questions. I know sometimes I had to take a breather from you and calm down to give serious consideration to your point. It will take a concentrated effort by several to endure over there, and even then, they could still just leave.
    Thanks Susan Unger - "thanks" for this post

  5. #85
    Senior Member Emiko Cothran's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Roseburg, OR
    Posts
    1,048
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Please don't take all the INTERESTING conversations to the "pastors only" section! I'd be so sad!
    Thanks Susan Unger, Rich Schmidt, Cynthia Prentice - "thanks" for this post

  6. #86
    Senior Member Susan Unger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Penn's Woods :)
    Posts
    10,021
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Borger View Post
    Ok. So I did a blast of posts from this forum to the Facebook group to see what would happen. It took some coaxing but some finally took off. What is concerning to me is that the community is certainly different. This group developed into a family with open windows where visitors could either join in or just watch.

    Now the family is moving to a new house where a family already lives. My posts probably came across as rude or intrusive and I didn't engage in conversation about the things they care about which is primarily photos, songs, and general chit chat. I could be content living in the theology and pastor groups, but others in this family may not visit there often or even be allowed.

    I have learned an important thing about the church. We can change things, but we must give people the time to mourn what they are losing. Moving to Facebook is a loss that many will mourn. We can change, but we need to give ourselves the opportunity to lament what we are losing and to hurt.

    Some of the reactions on the general discussion page have reminded me why I am building the church I am. Some of the responses are quite short and abrasive. They don't want to work through anything or think about it. They just want their church the way they want it. Which is how it used to be. Unfortunately this position leaves no room for our youth and is why they are leaving. Quite frankly after some of the answers, it causes me to wonder why I am Nazarene. Do I want to be a part of a church that has them in it?

    We have learned lessons here in how to communicate, argue, and even fight. We have learned that sometimes we need a referee to step in and diffuse situations and remind some to forgive or seek forgiveness. There are so many more out on Facebook on those NazNet pages that don't have that experience.

    Will I continue to post on the general discussion group? I don't know. A part of me wants to force them out of their comfort zone and really think about what their language means to their neighbor. Another part of me thinks I should just leave it alone and go love my neighbor.

    Pastors, I will see you around as I will continue posting in Theology and pastors for sure. As for the general discussion? I'm not sure. If you want to be my friend on Facebook, send me an invite and you can follow along as I share the journey of my church on my own timeline.
    Some of those responses took my breath away. I had gotten used to how things operate here with our personalities; while this was a whole 'nother kettle of fish.
    Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. 1 John 3:18

    There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. 1 John 4:18a


    Become an organ donor ~ donatelife.net ~ www.organdonor.gov

  7. #87
    Senior Member Brandon Brown's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Hendersonville, TN
    Posts
    231
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Borger View Post
    Ok. So I did a blast of posts from this forum to the Facebook group to see what would happen. It took some coaxing but some finally took off. What is concerning to me is that the community is certainly different. This group developed into a family with open windows where visitors could either join in or just watch.

    Now the family is moving to a new house where a family already lives. My posts probably came across as rude or intrusive and I didn't engage in conversation about the things they care about which is primarily photos, songs, and general chit chat. I could be content living in the theology and pastor groups, but others in this family may not visit there often or even be allowed.

    I have learned an important thing about the church. We can change things, but we must give people the time to mourn what they are losing. Moving to Facebook is a loss that many will mourn. We can change, but we need to give ourselves the opportunity to lament what we are losing and to hurt.

    Some of the reactions on the general discussion page have reminded me why I am building the church I am. Some of the responses are quite short and abrasive. They don't want to work through anything or think about it. They just want their church the way they want it. Which is how it used to be. Unfortunately this position leaves no room for our youth and is why they are leaving. Quite frankly after some of the answers, it causes me to wonder why I am Nazarene. Do I want to be a part of a church that has them in it?

    We have learned lessons here in how to communicate, argue, and even fight. We have learned that sometimes we need a referee to step in and diffuse situations and remind some to forgive or seek forgiveness. There are so many more out on Facebook on those NazNet pages that don't have that experience.

    Will I continue to post on the general discussion group? I don't know. A part of me wants to force them out of their comfort zone and really think about what their language means to their neighbor. Another part of me thinks I should just leave it alone and go love my neighbor.

    Pastors, I will see you around as I will continue posting in Theology and pastors for sure. As for the general discussion? I'm not sure. If you want to be my friend on Facebook, send me an invite and you can follow along as I share the journey of my church on my own timeline.
    Hopefully we can all get along on FB. Kyle, I appreciate you moving the posts, but remember in starkness my early brush with the COTN out of high school. Becsue I was already feeling hemmed in by a legalistic tending tradition, I wrote off Nazrenes as a whole. Fortunately, loving people tried to show me the differemt expressions of Holiness. I met my wife who is a cradle Nazatrene, but we did not begin getting involved in the COTN until over halfway through our now 21 year marriage. Naznet helped me on my journey and I hope that the deep, thoughtful, and even contentious discussions can keep up on FB. I would hate to confine myself to NazToo and other FB groups to which I belong. I would miss everyine here. Maybe we need to remind everyone that “iron sharpens iron” as Redditors like to remind each other.
    Thanks Susan Unger, Craig Laughlin - "thanks" for this post

  8. #88
    Senior Member Billy Cox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    10,619
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Borger View Post
    I can only imagine some of their responses to your sometimes difficult and pointed questions. I know sometimes I had to take a breather from you and calm down to give serious consideration to your point. It will take a concentrated effort by several to endure over there, and even then, they could still just leave.
    I intend to temper my more provocative side. Even so, some will do what traditionalists do when they encounter cognitive dissonance - flee.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us wthout end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
    - C.S. Lewis
    Thanks Cynthia Prentice, Craig Laughlin - "thanks" for this post

  9. #89
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,332
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    In the past couple of days, one of my posts was removed with no reason given by the moderator. I guess that's their right. My post was meant to be helpful, in a cut-to-the-chase kind of way. Obviously, it wasn't viewed that way. Cool. I just hope that posts on the FB site won't be treated the same way, or it will become very boring very fast.

  10. #90
    Senior Member Brandon Brown's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Hendersonville, TN
    Posts
    231
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Cox View Post
    I intend to temper my more provocative side. Even so, some will do what traditionalists do when they encounter cognitive dissonance - flee.
    But that won’t be any fun.
    Thanks Lucas Finch - "thanks" for this post
    Laughing Lucas Finch, Cynthia Prentice - thanks for this funny post

  11. #91
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    South Texas
    Posts
    424
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bourland View Post
    In the past couple of days, one of my posts was removed with no reason given by the moderator. I guess that's their right. My post was meant to be helpful, in a cut-to-the-chase kind of way. Obviously, it wasn't viewed that way. Cool. I just hope that posts on the FB site won't be treated the same way, or it will become very boring very fast.
    Don't feel bad Tim. I had an entire thread deleted with no explanation given . I'm not mad and can assume it was because of the political overtone comment I made (regretfully) with the attached link. It would be nice to know for sure though so i wouldn't have made the same mistake again. I don't even know which moderator to ask. The funny part was, the smart alek comment wasn't even as political as some of the anti gun threads on here that are allowed to stay.

    They will HAVE to be even more stringent on FB with the one line blow and go attitude of many people on social media.

  12. #92
    Senior Member Kevin Wright's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    334
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    I've archived some threads that I may want to refer back to some time:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...kU?usp=sharing
    Thanks Cynthia Prentice, Rich Schmidt - "thanks" for this post

  13. #93
    Senior Member Billy Cox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    10,619
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bourland View Post
    In the past couple of days, one of my posts was removed with no reason given by the moderator. I guess that's their right. My post was meant to be helpful, in a cut-to-the-chase kind of way. Obviously, it wasn't viewed that way. Cool. I just hope that posts on the FB site won't be treated the same way, or it will become very boring very fast.
    I'm such a prolific poster, I might not notice that a post has been removed.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us wthout end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
    - C.S. Lewis
    Laughing Cynthia Prentice - thanks for this funny post

  14. #94
    Site Manager G R 'Scott' Cundiff's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Somewhere on the road
    Posts
    5,314
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bentley View Post
    Don't feel bad Tim. I had an entire thread deleted with no explanation given . I'm not mad and can assume it was because of the political overtone comment I made (regretfully) with the attached link. It would be nice to know for sure though so i wouldn't have made the same mistake again. I don't even know which moderator to ask. The funny part was, the smart alek comment wasn't even as political as some of the anti gun threads on here that are allowed to stay.

    They will HAVE to be even more stringent on FB with the one line blow and go attitude of many people on social media.
    I just looked and no moderator has removed any threads or posts.

  15. #95
    Senior Member Billy Cox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    10,619
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Brown View Post
    But that won’t be any fun.
    Well, you know what they say about good intentions.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us wthout end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
    - C.S. Lewis

  16. #96
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    South Texas
    Posts
    424
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by G R 'Scott' Cundiff View Post
    I just looked and no moderator has removed any threads or posts.
    Scott...it was. It was the post titled "Speechless" where Wilson hammered on me for not being so speechless about the media. I had linked an article about the court case in the UK in which the hospital took the case to court and court ruled against the parents to be able to move their child to America in a last ditch effort to save it. I even had "like" from Jim C that also is gone. So SOMEONE removed it. It was just in the last couple of week. (edit - In fact, it might have been last Saturday but not for sure and when you "search", the post comes up but when you click on the link, it says it was removed)

  17. #97
    Host - Theology Forum Cynthia Prentice's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,766
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Wright View Post
    I've archived some threads that I may want to refer back to some time:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...kU?usp=sharing
    I seriously need to learn how to do this.
    "I'll give you a full life in the emptiest of places...You'll use the old rubble of past lives to build anew... You'll be known as those who can fix anything, restore old ruins, rebuild and renovate, make the community livable again." Isaiah 58:11-12 (THE MESSAGE)



    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvhP_xORvgE new for 2014!

  18. #98
    Senior Member Emiko Cothran's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Roseburg, OR
    Posts
    1,048
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bentley View Post
    Scott...it was. It was the post titled "Speechless" where Wilson hammered on me for not being so speechless about the media. I had linked an article about the court case in the UK in which the hospital took the case to court and court ruled against the parents to be able to move their child to America in a last ditch effort to save it. I even had "like" from Jim C that also is gone. So SOMEONE removed it. It was just in the last couple of week. (edit - In fact, it might have been last Saturday but not for sure and when you "search", the post comes up but when you click on the link, it says it was removed)
    Oh yeah, I had a mental comment to that but when I had time to sit down and write it it was gone.

    I reasoned:. I can easily see how this must have become a political war while I was gone

  19. #99
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    South Texas
    Posts
    424
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by Emiko Cothran View Post
    Oh yeah, I had a mental comment to that but when I had time to sit down and write it it was gone.

    I reasoned:. I can easily see how this must have become a political war while I was gone
    That's what I figured Emiko. After I posted it, I spent the next day in Austin with friends at a pool so I didn't check it at all until two days later and POOF, no where to be found

  20. #100
    Site Manager G R 'Scott' Cundiff's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Somewhere on the road
    Posts
    5,314
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bentley View Post
    That's what I figured Emiko. After I posted it, I spent the next day in Austin with friends at a pool so I didn't check it at all until two days later and POOF, no where to be found
    I'm not doubting you, but for some reason it doesn't show up in the logs. We're you starting a thread or replying to someone?

  21. #101
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    South Texas
    Posts
    424
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by G R 'Scott' Cundiff View Post
    I'm not doubting you, but for some reason it doesn't show up in the logs. We're you starting a thread or replying to someone?
    It was a thread I started. I just sent you a private message
    Laughing Gina Stevenson - thanks for this funny post

  22. #102
    Senior Member Emiko Cothran's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Roseburg, OR
    Posts
    1,048
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Was it somehow possibly a glitch and not a political war Induced closure?

  23. #103
    Senior Member Glenn Messer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,111
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by Emiko Cothran View Post
    Please don't take all the INTERESTING conversations to the "pastors only" section! I'd be so sad!
    Emiko, I would be willing to make you an unpaid, off campus staff person. I'm even willing to send you a 'letter of authenticity' to hang on your wall. Maybe then you could qualify for the pastor's forum. If that doesn't work, I can create another facebook account and give you the password; you would just have to sign in as "bayou preacher", or maybe Becky Talhelm would allow us to steal Joe's old handle of "swamppreacher".

    Just kidding .... sorta.

  24. #104
    Senior Member Kevin Wright's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    334
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by Emiko Cothran View Post
    Please don't take all the INTERESTING conversations to the "pastors only" section! I'd be so sad!
    Maybe we need to start an exclusive "layman only" section. :-)
    Thanks John F Martin - "thanks" for this post
    Laughing Cindi Hammons - thanks for this funny post

  25. #105
    Senior Member Kevin Wright's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    334
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    You can't do this on facebook.


  26. #106
    Senior Member Emiko Cothran's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Roseburg, OR
    Posts
    1,048
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Wright View Post
    Maybe we need to start an exclusive "layman only" section. :-)
    Not if it's all cat pictures, recent meals, and selfies. ^_~
    Thanks Gina Stevenson - "thanks" for this post
    Laughing Jim Chabot, David Graham - thanks for this funny post

  27. #107
    Host - Theology Forum Cynthia Prentice's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,766
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Messer View Post
    Emiko, I would be willing to make you an unpaid, off campus staff person. I'm even willing to send you a 'letter of authenticity' to hang on your wall. Maybe then you could qualify for the pastor's forum. If that doesn't work, I can create another facebook account and give you the password; you would just have to sign in as "bayou preacher", or maybe Becky Talhelm would allow us to steal Joe's old handle of "swamppreacher".

    Just kidding .... sorta.
    This is the BEST of Naznet...this post right here! Glenn and Emiko...two people with differing views on many topics...yet the love and respect in this post.
    "I'll give you a full life in the emptiest of places...You'll use the old rubble of past lives to build anew... You'll be known as those who can fix anything, restore old ruins, rebuild and renovate, make the community livable again." Isaiah 58:11-12 (THE MESSAGE)



    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvhP_xORvgE new for 2014!

  28. #108
    Host Fun & Prayer forums Gina Stevenson's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    W Michigan
    Posts
    12,222
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Wright View Post
    You can't do this on facebook.

    Right!! When I'd like to italicize for emphasis, I find myself either CAPPING letters, or **encircling** them with asterisks! Color? Nope!! Understand some can make a colored background; not with this phone!! And no GIFs here, either!! Ho-hum . . . .
    Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one. ~ Stella Adler
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    It takes a great deal of maturity to accept that trying to eliminate all risk eliminates life. ~ Susan Lapin ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    His anger lasts only a moment, but His favor lasts a lifetime! Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning. Psalm 30:5 (NLT)

  29. #109
    Senior Member Glenn Messer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,111
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by Emiko Cothran View Post
    Not if it's all cat pictures, recent meals, and selfies. ^_~
    Hold on a minute. If the dog and cat stuff is going to start showing up on naznet fb, then I'm going to have problems staying connected. I do slow down for interesting looking recipes. I'm looking for one that starts with "First you carefully skin the cat/dog ......"

  30. #110
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    .
    Posts
    1,741
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Messer View Post
    Hold on a minute. If the dog and cat stuff is going to start showing up on naznet fb, then I'm going to have problems staying connected. I do slow down for interesting looking recipes. I'm looking for one that starts with "First you carefully skin the cat/dog ......"
    I found a recipe for lemon grass dog, it calls for 2lbs meat from a medium size dog. Sounds... yummy.
    Laughing Lucas Finch, Glenn Messer - thanks for this funny post

  31. #111
    Senior Member Craig Laughlin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Posts
    5,698
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Wright View Post
    I've archived some threads that I may want to refer back to some time:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...kU?usp=sharing
    How did you so this? -- I can print a page at a time but were you able to print to pdf the whole thread at once? That would be very cool.
    It is not enough to be right, you have to be like Jesus.

    Strength Finders - Futuristic, Strategic, Self Assurance, Individualization, Ideation
    Meyer's Brigs - ENTP

  32. #112
    Senior Member Kevin Wright's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    334
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Laughlin View Post
    How did you so this? -- I can print a page at a time but were you able to print to pdf the whole thread at once? That would be very cool.
    I had to print each page individually. Then I used PDFBinder app to combine them into one PDF.

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Thanks Craig Laughlin - "thanks" for this post

  33. #113
    Host Fun & Prayer forums Gina Stevenson's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    W Michigan
    Posts
    12,222
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Wright View Post
    I had to print each page individually. Then I used PDFBinder app to combine them into one PDF.

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Wonder if pdf maker would work on phone? (of course w/limited space, would have to be sent to some cloud).

    Have a 32GB card in phone, but weird how it's nearly empty when you've TOLD things to go to card. Seems to not be listening & trying to overload phone memory instead!!
    Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one. ~ Stella Adler
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    It takes a great deal of maturity to accept that trying to eliminate all risk eliminates life. ~ Susan Lapin ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    His anger lasts only a moment, but His favor lasts a lifetime! Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning. Psalm 30:5 (NLT)

  34. #114
    Senior Member Kevin Wright's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    334
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina Stevenson View Post
    Wonder if pdf maker would work on phone? (of course w/limited space, would have to be sent to some cloud).

    Have a 32GB card in phone, but weird how it's nearly empty when you've TOLD things to go to card. Seems to not be listening & trying to overload phone memory instead!!
    I used the computer, the Dan Bohi Controversy came out to 204 pages and that's using tabloid size pages.

  35. #115
    Host Fun & Prayer forums Gina Stevenson's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    W Michigan
    Posts
    12,222
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    And remember . . . NO Comic Sans MS over at Facebook, either, Dave McClung!!!

    LOLOL

    Figured I could get away with this, since I really do like it, too! A nice font for casual, non-serious posts.

    Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one. ~ Stella Adler
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    It takes a great deal of maturity to accept that trying to eliminate all risk eliminates life. ~ Susan Lapin ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    His anger lasts only a moment, but His favor lasts a lifetime! Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning. Psalm 30:5 (NLT)

  36. #116
    Senior Member Gary Creely's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Macungie PA
    Posts
    858
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    First I would like to say thanks to Dave who was out in front with this idea way back, and thanks to all the work that Scott and others have put into this project. I arise and call you blessed.

    There is an interesting parallel that took place in the knife (collecting) community. Blade forum was the #1 spot for people who were avid knife fans, but over the last couple of years, more of the action has moved to Facebook (by way of various splintered groups). Blade forums is still a very active forum, just not as active, and not the powerhouse it once was. Forums play a different role than Facebook, particularly in regards to being a repository of useful information.

    As a, for instance, I started a thread here on church management software about 5 years ago and I have referred back to that many time to see what people were saying and ultimately made a better selection because of it. This will simply not exist on Facebook, I challenge you to find a Facebook thread from even a year ago.

    I would offer this advice to the Facebook moderators: don't over do it. That is a contributing reason for this forums decline, and you will find there will be a lot less tolerance to tell people what they can and can not talk about as they will simply hop to the next group, or even just start their own group. I am a part of many online communities, some I wish were a little more moderated, but this one was by far the most heavy handed. I hope this is taken constructively because that is how it is intended.

    Over and out,

    Gary Creely
    http://www.steeplesound.com
    Macungie Church of the Nazarene
    Thanks Lucas Finch, Jim Chabot, Gina Stevenson - "thanks" for this post

  37. #117
    Host Fun & Prayer forums Gina Stevenson's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    W Michigan
    Posts
    12,222
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Creely
    As a, for instance, I started a thread here on church management software about 5 years ago and I have referred back to that many time to see what people were saying and ultimately made a better selection because of it. This will simply not exist on Facebook, I challenge you to find a Facebook thread from even a year ago.
    A year? How about even a month?
    Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one. ~ Stella Adler
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    It takes a great deal of maturity to accept that trying to eliminate all risk eliminates life. ~ Susan Lapin ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    His anger lasts only a moment, but His favor lasts a lifetime! Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning. Psalm 30:5 (NLT)
    Thanks Gary Creely - "thanks" for this post

  38. #118
    Senior Member Kyle Borger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Torrington Wyoming
    Posts
    1,692
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Creely View Post
    First I would like to say thanks to Dave who was out in front with this idea way back, and thanks to all the work that Scott and others have put into this project. I arise and call you blessed.

    There is an interesting parallel that took place in the knife (collecting) community. Blade forum was the #1 spot for people who were avid knife fans, but over the last couple of years, more of the action has moved to Facebook (by way of various splintered groups). Blade forums is still a very active forum, just not as active, and not the powerhouse it once was. Forums play a different role than Facebook, particularly in regards to being a repository of useful information.

    As a, for instance, I started a thread here on church management software about 5 years ago and I have referred back to that many time to see what people were saying and ultimately made a better selection because of it. This will simply not exist on Facebook, I challenge you to find a Facebook thread from even a year ago.

    I would offer this advice to the Facebook moderators: don't over do it. That is a contributing reason for this forums decline, and you will find there will be a lot less tolerance to tell people what they can and can not talk about as they will simply hop to the next group, or even just start their own group. I am a part of many online communities, some I wish were a little more moderated, but this one was by far the most heavy handed. I hope this is taken constructively because that is how it is intended.

    Over and out,

    Gary Creely
    Well....I was on a Pastoe group and commented on a post that had shown up in my feed. Turns out it was feom 2013. The author of the post was quite confused, I think.

  39. #119
    Host Fun & Prayer forums Gina Stevenson's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    W Michigan
    Posts
    12,222
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Borger View Post
    Well....I was on a Pastoe group and commented on a post that had shown up in my feed. Turns out it was feom 2013. The author of the post was quite confused, I think.
    Possibly it was one of those "MEMORY" things. At Facebook things DO "show UP" years later, but only on the SAME DAY of the year as before ~~ "on this day" it will say ~~ but LOOKING for them is another story. For instance, w/others putting how much on my wall/page, things go/get moved way down rather quickly.

    So, today I entered in the FB search box (since we don't have one on our OWN page(!)), my name+"recipe." What does it do? Brings up a couple-month old one of mine (have posted a few since ~~ & a lot before, from others' posts, so why not the most recent??) , & quite a few from some other folks I know nothing about, but who share my name! Yes, there's a "Save" feature added recently, but what about previous years? AND if you can even search within that "Saved" place remains to be seen. Might have to check that out now. Hmmm . . . .
    Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one. ~ Stella Adler
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    It takes a great deal of maturity to accept that trying to eliminate all risk eliminates life. ~ Susan Lapin ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    His anger lasts only a moment, but His favor lasts a lifetime! Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning. Psalm 30:5 (NLT)

  40. #120
    Site Manager G R 'Scott' Cundiff's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Somewhere on the road
    Posts
    5,314
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Borger View Post
    Well....I was on a Pastoe group and commented on a post that had shown up in my feed. Turns out it was feom 2013. The author of the post was quite confused, I think.
    Just for fun I went to the General Discussion group and searched for Work and Witness. One of the results was a post that was done in 2008, the year the group was created.

    Edit to add that I do understand that there's apparently no way to just scroll through older posts and see who was saying what.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts