+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

Host Fun & Prayer forums Gina Stevenson's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

And, Scott, a search for ANYTHING that's more generic than something like that for which you searched ("Work & Witness" rather limited to Christian activities, & to be found on such sites), it will grab from ALL of Facebook, not just the page you want, & then selectively (like my example).

*UNLESS* there's something not being seen here, that I don't even recall from PC days . . . that being where you are able to search a specific page, not all of Facebook, until you've such a jumbled mess to try to find via scrolling (if FB's selectivity hasn't exclude that for which you search, that is).

Ho-hum . . . .
    Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one. ~ Stella Adler
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    It takes a great deal of maturity to accept that trying to eliminate all risk eliminates life. ~ Susan Lapin ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    His anger lasts only a moment, but His favor lasts a lifetime! Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning. Psalm 30:5 (NLT)

Site Manager G R 'Scott' Cundiff's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gina Stevenson View Post
    And, Scott, a search for ANYTHING that's more generic than something like that for which you searched ("Work & Witness" rather limited to Christian activities, & to be found on such sites), it will grab from ALL of Facebook, not just the page you want, & then selectively (like my example).

*UNLESS* there's something not being seen here, that I don't even recall from PC days . . . that being where you are able to search a specific page, not all of Facebook, until you've such a jumbled mess to try to find via scrolling (if FB's selectivity hasn't exclude that for which you search, that is).

Ho-hum . . . .
    No - if you search a group all the results are from that group.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is how I do it on my phone:

I go to the naznet general discussion page.

Then on top there is the generic search (as well as button to see my recent activity or recent stuff posted by people I follow etc)

Then under that is the famillure naznet.com picture as, like, a banner.

Under that is another toolbar with a checked "join" along with "members", "search", and "..."

Click on THAT search and it searches just the Naznet page.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G R 'Scott' Cundiff View Post
    Just for fun I went to the General Discussion group and searched for Work and Witness. One of the results was a post that was done in 2008, the year the group was created.

Edit to add that I do understand that there's apparently no way to just scroll through older posts and see who was saying what.
    Yeah, I just noticed that your post about how many GA's people have been to has been popping to the top of the FB group... and you posted that sometime in 2016.

FB isn't as good for discussions as this forum software, but it IS possible to search within a FB group and find what you're looking for... usually. And then if you comment on that post, it pops right back up to the top for everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Wright View Post
    I've archived some threads that I may want to refer back to some time:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...kU?usp=sharing
    Thanks, Kevin! Now I guess we all need to go add comments to those threads so your archives will need updating.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Wright View Post
    I had to print each page individually. Then I used PDFBinder app to combine them into one PDF.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    I figured your method was something like that. I'd like to think someone could set up a script or macro or whatever to do that sort of thing to every thread on NazNet. It's not the HTML archive I was hoping for, but even PDFs can be searchable... and they can be stored for free on Google Drive or wherever.

BTW, if anyone here does something similar and is using a Mac, you can just use the Preview app (the default pdf viewer that comes with MacOS) to combine those pages into one file. View the thumbnails & drag and drop. Pretty simple.

Post Thanks / Like

But it is apparently only a group page in which you can search, then, and not an individual's page not even your own . . . .

So, if one can archive on face book, how about some of these forums being pasted over there & then archived (by one w/a PC)??
    Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one. ~ Stella Adler
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    It takes a great deal of maturity to accept that trying to eliminate all risk eliminates life. ~ Susan Lapin ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    His anger lasts only a moment, but His favor lasts a lifetime! Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning. Psalm 30:5 (NLT)

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, yeah, I know if no way to search an individual person's page, but you could try their name and the subject?
    Like: Emiko cothran first word to see in my daughter's first word shows up?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emiko Cothran View Post
    Oh, yeah, I know if no way to search an individual person's page, but you could try their name and the subject?
    Like: Emiko cothran first word to see in my daughter's first word shows up?
    Wasn't really feeling a need to search others' pages, but to not find things on my OWN page due to no search option on it!? Ugh!

Anyway, will try what you suggested for FB when I get up; might not be as many Emikos as Ginas??

Btw, goodnight again . . . just a pit stop.

Zzzzzzzzzz . . . .
    Last edited by Gina Stevenson; July 9th, 2017 at 01:04 PM.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Post Thanks / Like

I tried "Emiko Cothran there word sentences Alora" to find one of those "blast from the past" things they do that o had accidently lost before finishing reading. It came up and there was no extra stuff..
    I tried "Emiko Cothran Alora birth" and the photos of her birth along with her birth story popped up...
    But both those examples I used both my full name and Alora's...

P.S.
    "Emiko" is a common name.... In Japan. Type "Emiko" without Cothran and you'll get lots of Japanese girls.

I am 1/4 Japanese, and named after my Japanese grandmother
    Thanks Gina Stevenson, Marsha Lynn, David Troxler - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave McClung View Post
    Here is the plan:

Between now and July 15, new threads can be started. During that time, participants who don't have Facebook accounts will be encouraged to get them and begin the transition.

Beginning on July 15, no new threads can be started, but existing threads can be continued.

On Aug 1, those coming to NazNet.Com sill see only a notice that our fellowship has moved to NazNet on Facebook.

Anyone who wants keep a record of existing threads will have until Aug 1 to download the threads they want.
    Any chance we could modify this plan slightly?

I'd love to see a period of time in which the forums here are frozen completely. No new threads can be started, and no new posts can be added to them, so that the contents of the forums don't change. Perhaps from August 1 to August 15, that notice could point people to FB, but the forums could still be up and accessible in their "frozen" state? This would give me (or someone) time to create a complete archive of the forums. Otherwise, any archive will be incomplete, missing the last posts added to threads after the archive was made.

Would something like that be possible?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Schmidt View Post
    Any chance we could modify this plan slightly?

I'd love to see a period of time in which the forums here are frozen completely. No new threads can be started, and no new posts can be added to them, so that the contents of the forums don't change. Perhaps from August 1 to August 15, that notice could point people to FB, but the forums could still be up and accessible in their "frozen" state? This would give me (or someone) time to create a complete archive of the forums. Otherwise, any archive will be incomplete, missing the last posts added to threads after the archive was made.

Would something like that be possible?
    I'd propose a further modification in that we scrap the plan entirely, but y'all know me. I hate new-fangled stuff. Now . . . GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!

I suppose this is a second-best idea, though. So I second Rich's motion.
    StrengthsFinder Top 5: Input ---------- Intellection ---------- Connectedness ---------- Context ---------- Belief

Myers-Briggs Type: Introversion ---------- Intuition ---------- Feeling ---------- Perception (INFP)

My Website & Blog: alucasfinch.net

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave McClung View Post
    The Fellowship that we call "NazNet" started back in the 1980's as a forum on Prodigy. The officials at Prodigy didn't think we would have enough participation to have a forum of our own, so they named it "Evangelicals." We became the most active religious forum on Prodigy. Our fellowship continued to grow until Prodigy decided to charge by the minute.

The Fellowship divided into several smaller groups on Compuserve and other internet providers until the World Wide Web came along.

Soon after the World Wide Web became available, we opened Naznet.Com. We have changed software a couple of times, but the fellowship has remained on NazNet.Com for many years. During those peak years, we had a booth at the General Assembly and our numbers grew.

A few years ago, our fellowship began to shift from this site over to Facebook. There are a number of different Nazarene sponsored groups on Facebook, but one of them is NazNet on Facebook. The trend is clear, that group is growing while this group is becoming smaller and smaller. NazNet on Facebook now has more than 1,700 members!! Many of those who are members have been active participants here in the past.

I have come to the opinion that it is time to consolidate our fellowship on NazNet on Facebook. For some, the transition won't be easy, but it will be worth the effort.

Here is the plan:

Between now and July 15, new threads can be started. During that time, participants who don't have Facebook accounts will be encouraged to get them and begin the transition.

Beginning on July 15, no new threads can be started, but existing threads can be continued.

On Aug 1, those coming to NazNet.Com sill see only a notice that our fellowship has moved to NazNet on Facebook.

Anyone who wants keep a record of existing threads will have until Aug 1 to download the threads they want.
    Since I couldn't start a new thread, I'll just respond to your post here and wish you a very happy birthday Dave. God bless.

Post Thanks / Like

So far I have noticed that to keep in communication with everyone Naznet General Discussion and NazToo together are in order.
    Theology is unfortunately not so hopping....
    Thanks Jim Chabot - "thanks" for this post

+ Reply to Thread