+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 133

Thread: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Naznet Owner Dave McClung's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 1987
    Location
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Posts
    4,564
    Post Thanks / Like

    It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    The Fellowship that we call "NazNet" started back in the 1980's as a forum on Prodigy. The officials at Prodigy didn't think we would have enough participation to have a forum of our own, so they named it "Evangelicals." We became the most active religious forum on Prodigy. Our fellowship continued to grow until Prodigy decided to charge by the minute.

    The Fellowship divided into several smaller groups on Compuserve and other internet providers until the World Wide Web came along.

    Soon after the World Wide Web became available, we opened Naznet.Com. We have changed software a couple of times, but the fellowship has remained on NazNet.Com for many years. During those peak years, we had a booth at the General Assembly and our numbers grew.

    A few years ago, our fellowship began to shift from this site over to Facebook. There are a number of different Nazarene sponsored groups on Facebook, but one of them is NazNet on Facebook. The trend is clear, that group is growing while this group is becoming smaller and smaller. NazNet on Facebook now has more than 1,700 members!! Many of those who are members have been active participants here in the past.

    I have come to the opinion that it is time to consolidate our fellowship on NazNet on Facebook. For some, the transition won't be easy, but it will be worth the effort.

    Here is the plan:

    Between now and July 15, new threads can be started. During that time, participants who don't have Facebook accounts will be encouraged to get them and begin the transition.

    Beginning on July 15, no new threads can be started, but existing threads can be continued.

    On Aug 1, those coming to NazNet.Com sill see only a notice that our fellowship has moved to NazNet on Facebook.

    Anyone who wants keep a record of existing threads will have until Aug 1 to download the threads they want.

  2. #2
    Senior Member David Morris's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Bourbonnais, IL
    Posts
    1,367
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    End of an era.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Lucas Finch's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Victor, MT
    Posts
    4,432
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Thanks for providing this little space for us on the interwebz for so many years, Dave! I respect your decision, and I agree that Facebook is the format that online discussion is going to. Still . . . this makes me sad.

    I'm an avid Facebooker, so my disappointment isn't against Facebook at all. The format that discussion takes place in on Facebook is more difficult, in my opinion, to have a real, ongoing conversation. Certainly not at the depth that they have taken place on NazNet over the years. Frankly, I also do not feel as free to have the kind of conversations that I have here on Facebook. I know that NazNet is public, and I stand by everything that I have ever posted here, but NazNet has been a great place away from the people in my primary ministry context that I can let my hair down (Ha!) and speak a little freer than I feel I can do on Facebook. I have learned a ton from y'all over the years. You have broadened my perspective on our great church. (And hopefully, you all have benefited a little from my involvement as well.)

    But alas! Such is life! All good things must come to an end. Though I will be a part of the groups and follow the conversation there from time to time, I don't see myself becoming a very active part of those groups. But maybe. Who knows. I never really anticipated getting drawn into NazNet like I have, either.
    StrengthsFinder Top 5: Input ---------- Intellection ---------- Connectedness ---------- Context ---------- Belief

    Myers-Briggs Type: Introversion ---------- Intuition ---------- Feeling ---------- Perception (INFP)

    My Website & Blog: alucasfinch.net

  4. #4
    Senior Member Billy Cox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    10,619
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Finch View Post
    Thanks for providing this little space for us on the interwebz for so many years, Dave! I respect your decision, and I agree that Facebook is the format that online discussion is going to. Still . . . this makes me sad.

    I'm an avid Facebooker, so my disappointment isn't against Facebook at all. The format that discussion takes place in on Facebook is more difficult, in my opinion, to have a real, ongoing conversation. Certainly not at the depth that they have taken place on NazNet over the years. Frankly, I also do not feel as free to have the kind of conversations that I have here on Facebook. I know that NazNet is public, and I stand by everything that I have ever posted here, but NazNet has been a great place away from the people in my primary ministry context that I can let my hair down (Ha!) and speak a little freer than I feel I can do on Facebook. I have learned a ton from y'all over the years. You have broadened my perspective on our great church. (And hopefully, you all have benefited a little from my involvement as well.)

    But alas! Such is life! All good things must come to an end. Though I will be a part of the groups and follow the conversation there from time to time, I don't see myself becoming a very active part of those groups. But maybe. Who knows. I never really anticipated getting drawn into NazNet like I have, either.
    Or, as the Oracle (The Matrix trilogy) said: "Everything that has a beginning has an end."
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us wthout end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
    - C.S. Lewis
    Thanks Lucas Finch - "thanks" for this post

  5. #5
    Senior Member Marsha Lynn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Odon, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    5,580
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Finch View Post
    Thanks for providing this little space for us on the interwebz for so many years, Dave! I respect your decision, and I agree that Facebook is the format that online discussion is going to. Still . . . this makes me sad.

    I'm an avid Facebooker, so my disappointment isn't against Facebook at all. The format that discussion takes place in on Facebook is more difficult, in my opinion, to have a real, ongoing conversation. Certainly not at the depth that they have taken place on NazNet over the years. Frankly, I also do not feel as free to have the kind of conversations that I have here on Facebook. I know that NazNet is public, and I stand by everything that I have ever posted here, but NazNet has been a great place away from the people in my primary ministry context that I can let my hair down (Ha!) and speak a little freer than I feel I can do on Facebook. I have learned a ton from y'all over the years. You have broadened my perspective on our great church. (And hopefully, you all have benefited a little from my involvement as well.)

    But alas! Such is life! All good things must come to an end. Though I will be a part of the groups and follow the conversation there from time to time, I don't see myself becoming a very active part of those groups. But maybe. Who knows. I never really anticipated getting drawn into NazNet like I have, either.
    This^^^

    It's odd, I know, but I feel comfortable here on this public forum and like an exposed target even in closed groups on FB. Like Lucas, I question how much I will participate in any of the FB forums.

    Still, NazNet came along when I was desperate for it. I will never feel as alone again as I did before I knew there were others in the CotN with the same questions, struggles, and interests I had.

    And now I will finally break the NazNet habit. I wonder how long the pink elephants* stay around during the withdrawal phase.
    --------

    *I can't let NazNet go without at least one reference to something Brad Mercer shared with us, even if it is just the "pink elephants."
    Only the power of the Holy Spirit can get truth past the obvious.

  6. #6
    Senior Member David Troxler's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Duxbury, MA
    Posts
    1,399
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marsha Lynn View Post
    This^^^

    It's odd, I know, but I feel comfortable here on this public forum and like an exposed target even in closed groups on FB. Like Lucas, I question how much I will participate in any of the FB forums.

    Still, NazNet came along when I was desperate for it. I will never feel as alone again as I did before I knew there were others in the CotN with the same questions, struggles, and interests I had.

    And now I will finally break the NazNet habit. I wonder how long the pink elephants* stay around during the withdrawal phase.
    --------

    *I can't let NazNet go without at least one reference to something Brad Mercer shared with us, even if it is just the "pink elephants."
    Marsha, regardless of this forum, we will want to know your church's progress in the pastoral search and your part in it.
    dave t
    Thanks Gina Stevenson - "thanks" for this post

  7. #7
    Senior Member Marsha Lynn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Odon, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    5,580
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by David Troxler View Post
    Marsha, regardless of this forum, we will want to know your church's progress in the pastoral search and your part in it.
    dave t
    Thanks for your interest, Dave. I'm anxious to know how that all works out as well!

    This is a good example of a topic I can't imagine addressing in a FB forum. Who knows who might be "listening" in, if not today then next week or next month? I know SO many more people who regularly read FB than who come around here.

    Everyone who knows me well IRL knows I hang out here. Those who have no interest in hearing my words in person extend that same disinterest to forums where they know no one except me. Even those who do take interest in my words hear enough of them that they feel no need to seek out any more. Which makes this a safe place for me. Facebook is not such a place, not even in closed groups.

    Still, it has been good. A few years ago one of my closest friends abruptly quit talking to me. Completely, except for just enough words in social situations so that no one around us noticed. Worse, I got the distinct impression I should not address it, and, more, could find no opportunity to address it. I still don't know what happened. The silence lasted for two years and then ended just about as suddenly as it began. But in those days of silence, I realized several things:

    1. I trust this person more than just about anyone else in the world. I had faith that whatever was behind the silence justified it and that if I knew what it was I would understand and agree with the response. No explanation was needed.

    2. For more than seven years I had benefited enormously from this person's friendship. It literally changed my life in more ways than I could fathom. And even if the silence was forever, not a bit of what I had gained during those years would be lost. The gift of the seven years was a treasure I would always have. If I never had another conversation with this person, I would still come out so far ahead it would be completely ungrateful to complain.

    The lesson I learned in that silence has been of value in other situations. This is one of them. Even if I never find another forum in which I can express thoughts like this, the value of the 20+ years I have enjoyed this level of Nazarene fellowship on the internet is a priceless treasure I will always value. What a joy to be able to explore my faith in dialog with the wonderful folks of NazNet. (And before NazNet on AOL forums and in the NazTalk email group.) Rather than crying because it is over, I need to marvel in the fact that it happened. Last week in Indianapolis, I received a hug from an Australian who has been another treasure in my life through NazNet and other early forums. What a gift from God!
    Save
    Save
    Save
    Only the power of the Holy Spirit can get truth past the obvious.

  8. #8
    Site Manager G R 'Scott' Cundiff's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Somewhere on the road
    Posts
    5,314
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Right now the three Facebook NazNet groups are:

    NazNet General Discussion
    NazNet Theology
    NazNet Pastors

  9. #9
    Host Fun & Prayer forums Gina Stevenson's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    W Michigan
    Posts
    12,222
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Well, Lucas, as a pastor, you have a "safe" place in that closed group. But if there's anything to discuss excluding some ears/eyes, such as happens at NN just due to it's obscurity, there is none for laymen. As you said, "All good things (seem to) come to an end," and we too are grateful for all the years NazNet has existed due to Dave & Linda's generosity. We'll participate some, I'm sure, but it just won't be quite the same as here at NazNet.
    Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one. ~ Stella Adler
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    It takes a great deal of maturity to accept that trying to eliminate all risk eliminates life. ~ Susan Lapin ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    His anger lasts only a moment, but His favor lasts a lifetime! Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning. Psalm 30:5 (NLT)

  10. #10
    Senior Member Brandon Brown's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Hendersonville, TN
    Posts
    231
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Thank, Dave for everything. This little corner of the internet has been a tremendous blessing in many ways.

  11. #11
    Senior Member David Gerber's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Oxford, Michigan
    Posts
    528
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Thanks Dave. I appreciate the time and effort you put into this.

    I have been challenged, ticked off, and a host of other emotions through my time and participation. It has helped me to grow.

    I do not participate on Facebook so this is pretty much goodbye.



    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Dave Gerber
    "We seriously discuss theology. The heavens laugh."
    Skin Ministries

  12. #12
    Senior Member David Troxler's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Duxbury, MA
    Posts
    1,399
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by David Gerber View Post
    Thanks Dave. I appreciate the time and effort you put into this.

    I have been challenged, ticked off, and a host of other emotions through my time and participation. It has helped me to grow.

    I do not participate on Facebook so this is pretty much goodbye.



    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Scenes from LOTR come to mind. The fellowship is ended.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Lucas Finch's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Victor, MT
    Posts
    4,432
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by David Troxler View Post
    Scenes from LOTR come to mind. The fellowship is ended.
    I want to dedicate this song and video to the passing of NazNet:

    StrengthsFinder Top 5: Input ---------- Intellection ---------- Connectedness ---------- Context ---------- Belief

    Myers-Briggs Type: Introversion ---------- Intuition ---------- Feeling ---------- Perception (INFP)

    My Website & Blog: alucasfinch.net
    Thanks David Troxler, Gene Tatsch, Betty Bolerjack, Wes Smith - "thanks" for this post

  14. #14
    Senior Member Bill Morrison's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Olathe, Kansas
    Posts
    3,117
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Thank you Dave for letting me get to know a lot of sometimes challenging but always GREAT folks here on Naznet!

    BILL

  15. #15
    Senior Member Hans Deventer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 1998
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    9,028
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Thanks Dave, for all that you have done. It has been appreciated and in many ways, and I don't think just for me, life changing.

  16. #16
    Host CE and Gen. Disc. forums David Parker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    691
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    I'll add my thanks to Dave for carrying this for so many years. Have enjoyed it immensely and look forward to continuing the fellowship through Facebook.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Though we cannot think alike, may we not love alike? May we not be of one heart, though we are not of one opinion? Without all doubt, we may." ~ John Wesley
    Thanks Wes Smith, Betty Bolerjack - "thanks" for this post

  17. #17
    Host Fun & Prayer forums Marg Shurtliff's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ottawa , Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    7,389
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    I ,too , add my thanks to Dave for providing this forum for so many years . I have enjoyed the fellowship and getting to ”know” so many of you.
    I have appreciated learning things first on NazNet . Getting help so quickly when needed and just having some enjoyment every day . I have been in the habit of checking into NazNet several times a day .
    I will miss all that . I have never had a desire to sign up for Facebook and what little I have heard has made me very happy that I had no connection to it .
    Its possible I could change my mind in the future but at the moment don’t think so.
    Its been great having this fellowship with you all. I pray that each of you have a good future and God’s blessing on you all.
    A special thank you to Scott for all he has done to keep things running smoothly and for noting special days for us .
    Marg

  18. #18
    Senior Member David Morris's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Bourbonnais, IL
    Posts
    1,367
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    I'd suggest we have the BoGS study the matter, and we reconsider the move to Facebook in 2021.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Lucas Finch's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Victor, MT
    Posts
    4,432
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by David Morris View Post
    I'd suggest we have the BoGS study the matter, and we reconsider the move to Facebook in 2021.
    Second!
    StrengthsFinder Top 5: Input ---------- Intellection ---------- Connectedness ---------- Context ---------- Belief

    Myers-Briggs Type: Introversion ---------- Intuition ---------- Feeling ---------- Perception (INFP)

    My Website & Blog: alucasfinch.net
    Thanks David Troxler, Jim Chabot, Gina Stevenson, Marsha Lynn - "thanks" for this post

  20. #20
    Senior Member Cam Pence's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Elkhart, IN
    Posts
    3,015
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Naznet has been, for the most part, an awesome place for me. I have been able to meet many different people, hear many different perspectives, and forge friendships. I have been able to grow and change in many ways. I'm definitely not the same guy who joined in 2010. I'm more than a little heartbroken that naznet.com has to come to an end but am thankful to Dave and moderators and the friends I have made here over the many years of good discussion and encouragement. I love you guys and will miss clicking on the "What's New" tab
    “So there are no nontheologians; there is just good theology and bad theology.”- Will Willimon
    Thanks Bill Morrison, Lucas Finch, Gina Stevenson, Susan Unger - "thanks" for this post

  21. #21
    NazNet Host

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    3,631
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Agree with the "sorrow" over Naznet's shutdown.

    Personally, it has been my only opportunity for ongoing dialogue on such a broad range of subjects. I am forever grateful for the LGBTQ discussion. Though I was not and am not a candidate for affirmation, the information was more than helpful. Incidentally we missed a great opportunity to discuss a recent National Geography magazine totally dedicated to the education discussion of the subject.

    I don't see much of a chance for me to participate on NN FB, as I cannot get a grip on the discussion method there. I will give it a try from time to time, but I have no expectation of participating as I have on NN.

    Am thankful to Dave for his gift to us! Will indeed miss the folks here!

    Friend,

    Wes
    Thanks John Kennedy - "thanks" for this post

  22. #22
    Senior Member Glenn Messer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,111
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Smith View Post
    Agree with the "sorrow" over Naznet's shutdown.

    Personally, it has been my only opportunity for ongoing dialogue on such a broad range of subjects. I am forever grateful for the LGBTQ discussion. Though I was not and am not a candidate for affirmation, the information was more than helpful. Incidentally we missed a great opportunity to discuss a recent National Geography magazine totally dedicated to the education discussion of the subject.

    I don't see much of a chance for me to participate on NN FB, as I cannot get a grip on the discussion method there. I will give it a try from time to time, but I have no expectation of participating as I have on NN.

    Am thankful to Dave for his gift to us! Will indeed miss the folks here!

    Friend,

    Wes
    Wes,
    I also have trouble responding on facebook, particularly with long replies. I forget and hit the 'enter' key and it thinks I am finished. I guess I need a lesson in how to use it and edit comments already made. To overcome that problem, I compose my response in Word and then copy and paste to FB. If there is a better way, I don't know about it and I don't like 'experimenting' live while on FB.
    Thanks Wes Smith - "thanks" for this post

  23. #23
    Senior Member Wilson Deaton's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Kenosha, WI, USA, Earth
    Posts
    2,674
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    I don't have the time right now to write an essay about my Naznet relationship and how I feel about this.... So, I will just say, THANK YOU, Dave!

    Perhaps it is relationally unhealthy of me but I feel like I was just informed that a friend has died.

    Wilson
    "But by the grace of God I am what I am." (1 Cor. 15:10)

  24. #24
    Senior Member Emiko Cothran's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Roseburg, OR
    Posts
    1,048
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    This makes me very sad!
    Compared to other online Christian forums, I have found Naznet to be very thoughtful, and supportive, deep, tactful, kind, well meaning, and intelligent.

    I do have Facebook but it's not the same. I don't think I've ever seen long, deep, philosophical discussions with deep and meaningful back and forth on Facebook. It's either "here's my cat" or "here's my political blurb" and people generally respond with short (not deep) comments.

    I also like the smaller community. Here we get to know one another. With 2,000 active members I don't see how we could get to know everyone by name and personality.

    It's like finding out the church you've been attending is closing. So sad.

    You guys have been my main Christian community for about 2 years (since I moved to Oregon.)

    Has anyone been on the Facebook page? Is it as deep with as deep and meaningful back and forth and long discussion and is it as kind and polite?

  25. #25
    Host Photography Forum Dana Grant's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    2,376
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Wow, definitely the end of an era. February 1998 was my first encounter with NazNet. I did a search for Nazarene, and there it was! We've seen a lot happen over the years with many fun things and many heart wrenching events -- the loss of some NazNetters that we'll never forget. And I learned Photography on NazNet -- that will always be special to me. Thanks, Dave, for the many years you've been our supporter. I'll miss this old place!
    Thanks Gina Stevenson, Betty Bolerjack, Glenn Messer - "thanks" for this post

  26. #26
    Senior Member Rich Schmidt's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Valparaiso, IN, USA
    Posts
    5,742
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    I'm grateful for all the work that has gone into Naznet over the years. I've loved it. Thank you al who have made this community what it's been!

    I'm sad to see it shutting down, but I understand the decision. I've found myself interacting much more on Facebook the past couple years, even though I prefer this forum software to the way discussions work on FB.

    I'm wondering... Surely someone is computer-savvy enough to create an archive of the Naznet forums to maintain them for posterity? Rather than each of us trying to archive the threads we want, we could create an archive of the whole site and host it somewhere free...
    Thanks Cynthia Prentice, Betty Bolerjack, Lucas Finch - "thanks" for this post

  27. #27
    Host Fun & Prayer forums Gina Stevenson's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    W Michigan
    Posts
    12,222
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by David Morris View Post
    I'd suggest we have the BoGS study the matter, and we reconsider the move to Facebook in 2021.
    Post of the day . . . or week ... or even the month!! ��

    Quote Originally Posted by Cam Pence View Post
    I love you guys and will miss clicking on the "What's New" tab
    Yes! Will suffer "What's New?" tab clicking withdrawal, for sure. After FB, was nice to relax here, reading, posting now & then . . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Finch View Post
    I want to dedicate this song and video to the passing of NazNet.
    That's one sad song.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Schmidt View Post
    I'm wondering... Surely someone is computer-savvy enough to create an archive of the Naznet forums to maintain them for posterity? Rather than each of us trying to archive the threads we want, we could create an archive of the whole site and host it somewhere free...
    That's what a lot of us have maybe been wondering. This is by subject matter. Facebook is not. People will give up finding something, start conversations all over again due to that, instead of somehow being able to see old stuff, benefit therefrom, & then add to it, etc.
    Would be nice for the technical stuff to be available, too.

    Yes, as Wilson has put it, feels like a(n) (beloved) old friend has died.

    BTW, can't do this at FB, either . . . quote in such a way one is sure whose post it is to which you are responding, once there are several posts. Yes, format is nicer here, but I "get it." I too go look at photos at FB. However . . . .

    After all this, we want to thank Dave & Linda, as well as Scott (& others?) for his technical help, etc.

    Will miss this old friend.
    Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one. ~ Stella Adler
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    It takes a great deal of maturity to accept that trying to eliminate all risk eliminates life. ~ Susan Lapin ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    His anger lasts only a moment, but His favor lasts a lifetime! Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning. Psalm 30:5 (NLT)
    Thanks Betty Bolerjack, Susan Unger - "thanks" for this post

  28. #28
    Senior Member Jim Franklin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Boise, ID City of Trees
    Posts
    6,522
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    NazNet has been my mini General Assembly by getting to know people and pray for their needs and concerns and I do appreciate the help that many of you have ministered to me. Thank You Dave for your thoughtful and generous ministry to all of us by being our benefactor. Some I have met here in person when you have traveled to the Boise or Sun Valley, AZ areas. Connecting to my South Dakota buddies Wes and John Kennedy has been a special bright spot for me. Some may have enjoyed my bantering back and forth with my former faculty mate Dr. Coach Young Grandpa Poteet. Like others I will have to take some time to figure out this Facebook factor as I know how to post but not receive replies. Will there be a Prayer List on Facebook? This has been a delightful and sometimes challenging relationship with others in assuaging my loneliness for positive interaction rather than negative interaction. Some of you know more about Boise than you ever wanted to know. Maybe some of you have a clearer understanding of some of the Geography and History that this old professor has mentioned. There are still Lookout towers to rent here in Idaho for those who would be interested in periods of isolation. Hope to see any of you coming this way. I cherish these last 14 years that I have been a NazNetter and in a way will always be one.

  29. #29
    Site Manager G R 'Scott' Cundiff's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Somewhere on the road
    Posts
    5,314
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Schmidt View Post
    I'm wondering... Surely someone is computer-savvy enough to create an archive of the Naznet forums to maintain them for posterity? Rather than each of us trying to archive the threads we want, we could create an archive of the whole site and host it somewhere free...
    The database is huge - it would be beyond my ability to download it.
    Thanks Wes Smith - "thanks" for this post

  30. #30
    Senior Member Rich Schmidt's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Valparaiso, IN, USA
    Posts
    5,742
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by G R 'Scott' Cundiff View Post
    The database is huge - it would be beyond my ability to download it.
    Out of curiosity... How huge?

  31. #31
    Site Manager G R 'Scott' Cundiff's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Somewhere on the road
    Posts
    5,314
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Schmidt View Post
    Out of curiosity... How huge?
    Not as big as I thought it was - a couple of GB. Not sure if that includes the images or not.

    Frankly, though, I think we should see the move as a fresh start.

  32. #32
    Senior Member Rich Schmidt's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Valparaiso, IN, USA
    Posts
    5,742
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by G R 'Scott' Cundiff View Post
    Not as big as I thought it was - a couple of GB. Not sure if that includes the images or not.

    Frankly, though, I think we should see the move as a fresh start.
    I'm fine with a fresh start. All new discussions on FB. I'd just love to keep the archive available so all the great conversations don't vanish. Lots of great resources and explanations have been shared here. I'm sure I won't remember all of them or have time to try to grab them all before August.

  33. #33
    Naznet Owner Dave McClung's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 1987
    Location
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Posts
    4,564
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Schmidt View Post
    I'm fine with a fresh start. All new discussions on FB. I'd just love to keep the archive available so all the great conversations don't vanish. Lots of great resources and explanations have been shared here. I'm sure I won't remember all of them or have time to try to grab them all before August.
    Several years ago an active NazNetter was killed in a terrible accident. His parents asked if we could save the threads where he participated on NazNet. We honored their request, but it took many, many hours of work to recover and print out those threads. I seriously doubt that the parents have ever read most of them.

    I will preserve the data base, but at this point it isn't clear that it will be practical to access it.

  34. #34
    Senior Member Billy Cox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    10,619
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave McClung View Post
    Several years ago an active NazNetter was killed in a terrible accident. His parents asked if we could save the threads where he participated on NazNet. We honored their request, but it took many, many hours of work to recover and print out those threads. I seriously doubt that the parents have ever read most of them.

    I will preserve the data base, but at this point it isn't clear that it will be practical to access it.
    It is quite simple to extract a user's posts from what I presume is a MySQL table. The query would take about 5 minutes to write, run and then dump to a spreadsheet format. (CSV)
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us wthout end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
    - C.S. Lewis
    Thanks Cynthia Prentice, Betty Bolerjack, Gina Stevenson - "thanks" for this post

  35. #35
    Senior Member Billy Cox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    10,619
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Cox View Post
    It is quite simple to extract a user's posts from what I presume is a MySQL table. The query would take about 5 minutes to write, run and then dump to a spreadsheet format. (CSV)
    And...here's instructions for doing it:

    https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...s-posts-to-csv
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us wthout end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
    - C.S. Lewis
    Thanks Cynthia Prentice - "thanks" for this post

  36. #36
    Senior Member Greg Farra's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Groveport,OH
    Posts
    1,689
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Schmidt View Post
    Out of curiosity... How huge?
    Yuge. Really yuge. And we'll make Mexico pay for it!
    Laughing David Graham, John Kennedy - thanks for this funny post

  37. #37
    Host Fun & Prayer forums Gina Stevenson's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    W Michigan
    Posts
    12,222
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Flowers View Post
    Attachment 9000

    Here is a magnified view (screenshot) from my iPad. If you click on the number of members it should pop up a list of members.
    Looks so totally different from here. You don't have the picture of the NazNet mug somewhere near the top? Anyway, here the only place one sees that membership number is pasted over that picture, so hitting anywhere on/around it only does that picture highlighting of which I spoke.

    Finally did find, after clicking all over the place, that clicking on "Info" it brings up a list: Members, Notification Settings, Share Group, Photos, Events, Files. So we clicked on Members & there is a list. With so many on it, it's a shame you can't do a search near the name you left off at (it brings up about ten names, then you have to click "see more" to see more. If you don't have time to do that over & over for about 185 times, I found you cannot start midway through list later, as I tried that by finally stopping by a name I know, going back awhile later, going to that name % hoping to continue from there. Nope. Have to start all over! So how anyone would actually see all the names, no idea . . . .
    Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one. ~ Stella Adler
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    It takes a great deal of maturity to accept that trying to eliminate all risk eliminates life. ~ Susan Lapin ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    His anger lasts only a moment, but His favor lasts a lifetime! Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning. Psalm 30:5 (NLT)

  38. #38
    Host CE and Gen. Disc. forums David Parker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    691
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina Stevenson View Post
    Looks so totally different from here. You don't have the picture of the NazNet mug somewhere near the top? Anyway, here the only place one sees that membership number is pasted over that picture, so hitting anywhere on/around it only does that picture highlighting of which I spoke.

    Finally did find, after clicking all over the place, that clicking on "Info" it brings up a list: Members, Notification Settings, Share Group, Photos, Events, Files. So we clicked on Members & there is a list. With so many on it, it's a shame you can't do a search near the name you left off at (it brings up about ten names, then you have to click "see more" to see more. If you don't have time to do that over & over for about 185 times, I found you cannot start midway through list later, as I tried that by finally stopping by a name I know, going back awhile later, going to that name % hoping to continue from there. Nope. Have to start all over! So how anyone would actually see all the names, no idea . . . .
    I have a "Find a Member" search box at the top right side of the member list. A big difference may be what you are using to view FB. It will behave differently on a phone or tablet than it does on a PC. You will only get all the features on a PC due to space restrictions on a smaller screen.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Though we cannot think alike, may we not love alike? May we not be of one heart, though we are not of one opinion? Without all doubt, we may." ~ John Wesley
    Thanks Betty Bolerjack, Gina Stevenson - "thanks" for this post

  39. #39
    Senior Member Michael Flowers's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    2,084
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina Stevenson View Post
    Looks so totally different from here. You don't have the picture of the NazNet mug somewhere near the top? Anyway, here the only place one sees that membership number is pasted over that picture, so hitting anywhere on/around it only does that picture highlighting of which I spoke.

    Finally did find, after clicking all over the place, that clicking on "Info" it brings up a list: Members, Notification Settings, Share Group, Photos, Events, Files. So we clicked on Members & there is a list. With so many on it, it's a shame you can't do a search near the name you left off at (it brings up about ten names, then you have to click "see more" to see more. If you don't have time to do that over & over for about 185 times, I found you cannot start midway through list later, as I tried that by finally stopping by a name I know, going back awhile later, going to that name % hoping to continue from there. Nope. Have to start all over! So how anyone would actually see all the names, no idea . . . .
    Yes, I have the mug, just excluded it from the screen shot.

  40. #40
    Host Fun & Prayer forums Gina Stevenson's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    W Michigan
    Posts
    12,222
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: It is time to move our discussions to Facebook.

    Quote Originally Posted by David Parker View Post
    I have a "Find a Member" search box at the top right side of the member list. A big difference may be what you are using to view FB. It will behave differently on a phone or tablet than it does on a PC. You will only get all the features on a PC due to space restrictions on a smaller screen.
    Tho't maybe there were things excluded here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Flowers View Post
    Yes, I have the mug, just excluded it from the screen shot.
    But clicking here nets only the picture; most likely a phone limitation again (windows one, which I'm coming to hate. MS took the once-nice Nokia phone & made a mess of it, it doth appear.
    Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one. ~ Stella Adler
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    It takes a great deal of maturity to accept that trying to eliminate all risk eliminates life. ~ Susan Lapin ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    His anger lasts only a moment, but His favor lasts a lifetime! Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning. Psalm 30:5 (NLT)

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts