+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who will NOT be on Facebook?

Post Thanks / Like

Who will NOT be on Facebook?

So that we have a chance to say a proper good-bye...
    Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. 1 John 3:18

There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. 1 John 4:18a

Become an organ donor ~ donatelife.net ~ www.organdonor.gov

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who will NOT be on Facebook?

Me! Wait. Nevermind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    StrengthsFinder Top 5: Input ---------- Intellection ---------- Connectedness ---------- Context ---------- Belief

Myers-Briggs Type: Introversion ---------- Intuition ---------- Feeling ---------- Perception (INFP)

My Website & Blog: alucasfinch.net
    Laughing David Graham, Gina Stevenson - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Finch View Post
    Me! Wait. Nevermind.

Lucas, I'll sell you my post count to help you reach your goal!
    Thanks Marsha Lynn, Lucas Finch - "thanks" for this post
    Laughing Diane Likens, Gina Stevenson - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Evans View Post
    Lucas, I'll sell you my post count to help you reach your goal!
    Scott, let's make that happen.

StrengthsFinder Top 5: Input ---------- Intellection ---------- Connectedness ---------- Context ---------- Belief

Myers-Briggs Type: Introversion ---------- Intuition ---------- Feeling ---------- Perception (INFP)

Laughing Gina Stevenson - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

I believe I had over 4000 posts before the crash.

Post Thanks / Like

Scott, let's make that happen.

Sounds like we need Jesus to walk through the NN 'temple' and take care of the moneychangers!!!!!!
    Laughing Betty Bolerjack, Gina Stevenson, Susan Unger - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Kennedy View Post
    Sounds like we need Jesus to walk through the NN 'temple' and take care of the moneychangers!!!!!!
    All I ask is an 8x10 glossy of the koala picture signed by Lucas
    Laughing Gina Stevenson, Rich Schmidt, Lucas Finch, Cynthia Prentice - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

I want to see that signed photo! What a great idea!
    Thanks Gina Stevenson - "thanks" for this post
    Laughing Cynthia Prentice - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

I'll see if I can arrange it.

Laughing Cynthia Prentice, Gina Stevenson, Bill Evans - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

So far, I know that Hans, Marg and Kevin Wright will not be joining us on Naznet on Facebook. Are there any others?
    Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. 1 John 3:18

There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. 1 John 4:18a

Thanks Marg Shurtliff - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be lurking, just as I do some other Nazarene facebook groups, but I highly doubt I will post much there, if at all (just as I don't in those other Nazarene facebook groups). It's been fun while it lasted, y'all! Kinda sad that I finally make a NazNet picture right when DOTCOM, the only NazNet site I have any interest in being a part of, gets shut down.

Thanks Marg Shurtliff, Jim Chabot - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sarah Smith said she won't be coming
    Thanks Susan Unger - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

This is how I feel about all this:

Thanks Cynthia Prentice, Jim Chabot - "thanks" for this post

Host Fun & Prayer forums Gina Stevenson's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

This seems such a sad time. To read a thread over there, for one thing, you click on something, use back button, read further, then repeat. You cannot just straight read, b/c of the "layers" there. Sometimes do this & try to finish a thread, & at other times, I just go, "Oh, forget it!" Oh well . . . May have to just read less than spend more time going back & forth trying to be assured of not missing any pertinent post(s) in a thread.
    Last edited by Gina Stevenson; July 7th, 2017 at 06:07 AM.
    Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one. ~ Stella Adler
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

[COLOR=Indigo][FONT=Palatino Linotype]It takes a great deal of maturity to accept that trying to eliminate all risk eliminates life. ~ Susan Lapin ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Post Thanks / Like

Not me, I'm already actively disengaging from social media and leaving groups on Facebook is part of that process. Too many discussions were entering my feed that I didn't want to see, and many groups were shaping my profile to display adds that I didn't want either. I've also unfriended a few people and unfollowed many more. It's made my Facebook feed much more to my liking. I expect I'll be leaving some more groups over the next few weeks, and part of that process will also be to not join anymore groups.
    Thanks Lucas Finch - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

This is how I feel about all this:

Thanks Cynthia Prentice - "thanks" for this post

Host - Theology Forum Cynthia Prentice's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

If you lurk they will know you are watching lol. The Naznet group shows who has seen posts. It is not set up that way in I'm Nazarene Too

edited to add: The size of the facebook group determines if there is a "seen by" feature. Facebook Naznet Theology group still has the "seen by" feature. Facebook Naznet General Discussion has grown large enough the "seen by" feature is automatically removed.
    Last edited by Cynthia Prentice; July 7th, 2017 at 02:49 PM.
    "I'll give you a full life in the emptiest of places...You'll use the old rubble of past lives to build anew... You'll be known as those who can fix anything, restore old ruins, rebuild and renovate, make the community livable again." Isaiah 58:11-12 (THE MESSAGE)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvhP_xORvgE new for 2014!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh.....Hello Darkness my old friend!

(edited to add...need to use all the emoticons I've never used )
    "I'll give you a full life in the emptiest of places...You'll use the old rubble of past lives to build anew... You'll be known as those who can fix anything, restore old ruins, rebuild and renovate, make the community livable again." Isaiah 58:11-12 (THE MESSAGE)

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be lurking, just as I do some other Nazarene facebook groups, but I highly doubt I will post much there, if at all (just as I don't in those other Nazarene facebook groups). It's been fun while it lasted, y'all! Kinda sad that I finally make a NazNet picture right when DOTCOM, the only NazNet site I have any interest in being a part of, gets shut down.
    You will be sadly missed and fondly remembered. Unless you drop in from time to time to post that is!

I agree, this has been pretty much the only site that I've found enough interest in to participate over the last eight years or so. Every morning I visit three sites, this one, drudge and NOAA for the weather.

But, I'm thinking that it's best to keep a stiff upper lip, which isn't something that I'm very good at, and give it my best try while hoping for the best.
    -Jim

To know and to serve God, of course, is why we're here, a clear truth, that, like the nose on your face, is near at hand and easily discernible but can make you dizzy if you try to focus on it hard. But a little faith will see you through.

Garrison Keillor
    Thanks Wes Smith, Gina Stevenson, Susan Unger - "thanks" for this post

NazNet Host

Post Thanks / Like

Never say never, but my mo since hearing of Naznet.com's looming demise has not included FB Naznet. Could wind up saving me lots of time. So, will (likely) miss you all. And I sincerely mean that.

Friend,

Wes
    Thanks Marg Shurtliff, Gina Stevenson, Susan Unger - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be lurking, just as I do some other Nazarene facebook groups, but I highly doubt I will post much there, if at all (just as I don't in those other Nazarene facebook groups). It's been fun while it lasted, y'all!
    ^^ This. I find the ROI of Facebook to be too low. When I come to NazNet.com, I am here to read people's words. I wish I could tailor FB the same way, but it doesn't work that way for me. It's like the difference between a quiet country lane and the blaring noise and blinding lights of the city. I end up distracted and confused by all the noise and forget why I'm there. I realize most people prefer urban living, but I'm pretty much country.

Kinda sad that I finally make a NazNet picture right when DOTCOM, the only NazNet site I have any interest in being a part of, gets shut down.
    But at least I got to meet you this time around! I was bummed that I missed you four years ago. It's good to have a three-dimensional image to go with the two-dimensional nature of internet interactions.
    Only the power of the Holy Spirit can get truth past the obvious.

Post Thanks / Like

yea....no..not gonna be there. I liked NN because it was limited social media for me with limited exposure. Even though I know I'm on a small island here with Jim C and a couple of others, its been fun to spar and be stretched to confirm why I believe the way I believe. If I'm totally honest, I'm ok with being here even though there are "lurkers" because people can clearly see my positions. But lets face it, in "Nazarenedom", everyone knows that NazNet is not looked upon with much favor (to say the least). The problem with Facebook, right or wrong, is that you are essentially looked at as in agreement with any group that you are a part of and judged as such. I even do it myself. If I were interviewing someone, I want to see what groups they are a part of and what people and pages they follow. It tells a lot about a person. To join NazNet groups on FB, to me, would send the wrong message that I am in agreement with most of what is talked about here.

Oh well...I guess as Wes said, I will have much more time on my hands and a WHOLE lot less frustration!!!!
    Thanks Jim Chabot, Kevin Wright - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Unger View Post
    So far, I know that Hans, Marg and Kevin Wright will not be joining us on Naznet on Facebook. Are there any others?
    No, I'm already there. I just don't think the conversation will be as free. I'll most likely just be lurking. But you never know.
    Thanks Lucas Finch, Cynthia Prentice, Gina Stevenson - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Wright View Post
    No, I'm already there. I just don't think the conversation will be as free. I'll most likely just be lurking. But you never know.
    I tried it out...I doubt I will post much. I like Marsha's description of the country lane vs the blaring lights.

Post Thanks / Like

AND as stated before, tried reading a "long" thread (on Naz, too, re swimming @camp, etc, etc, that wandered a bit) w/many shorter posts, and you had to click back & forth over & over & over b/c of middle-of-thread replies, that before you know it, you're not sure which click gets back to the ORIGINAL thread, which click goes to read/unread posts, etc. Not at all conducive to cohesive threads such as are found here. Don't think after about a dozen clicks I ever did get to the end of that thread, but finally just gave up!! No, FB is not for deep, lengthy convos such as are had here.

(/end of whine)
    Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one. ~ Stella Adler
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

[COLOR=Indigo][FONT=Palatino Linotype]It takes a great deal of maturity to accept that trying to eliminate all risk eliminates life. ~ Susan Lapin ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Post Thanks / Like

If people don't have long, detailed discussions I will Peter out eventually... Tho I will try to force deep and engaging conversations before I quit trying.

It is the long, deep discussions that I like. The argument and digging deeper...

...like the thing just posted about Mary, I never realized it was to make sure none thought Joseph was the father. I thought it was to help a very old, very pregnant, friend/family member, with a husband who can't talk and I think possibly can't hear, out during her time of need.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree, the deep discussions here are good, Emiko!
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Thanks Cynthia Prentice - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Chabot View Post
    You will be sadly missed and fondly remembered. Unless you drop in from time to time to post that is!

I agree, this has been pretty much the only site that I've found enough interest in to participate over the last eight years or so. Every morning I visit three sites, this one, drudge and NOAA for the weather.

But, I'm thinking that it's best to keep a stiff upper lip, which isn't something that I'm very good at, and give it my best try while hoping for the best.
    I saw you on NN on FB! Congrats!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Wright View Post
    Oh? I thought you said you weren't joining us. Glad you are there even if in lurking mode.

Post Thanks / Like

There are times that I would like to deactivate but I still change my mind each time.
    Thanks David Troxler, Susan Unger - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpia Romo View Post
    There are times that I would like to deactivate but I still change my mind each time.
    My millennial pastor daughter has deactivated her Facebook account. As the grandmother of her children, I'm still adjusting to the idea of no more cute kid pictures coming from her, but she seems fine with having set aside that distraction from her life.

Personally, I am less inclined to check FB than NazNet.com. And would like to keep it that way. I'm not sure where or if I will find another place on the internet where I post in addition to reading. Posting to NazNet has been a compulsion. I'm content to wait to see if a new compulsion to write comes along. In the meanwhile, there are many, many words to read on the internet. I expect Twitter (in relatively small doses) and blogs via Feedly will be my main sources for those words. They are less cluttered with click bait than FB.

Last fall I was frustrated by some of the responses I was getting on NN and went "forum shopping," but the forums I found were full of strangers of various theological stripes and I couldn't get enthused about sorting through them to find kindred spirits, so I kept coming back here. Just now, however, I realized there are many familiar voices I know and follow via tweets and blog posts. Maybe it's time to simply read without response for a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Dave Gerber has indicated he won't be joining the Facebook group. I appreciate him and his input, though he would describe his input here as mostly lurking.

I have joined the naznet on FB groups but have difficulty adjusting to the format which tends to be a free for all without any cohesive way to follow a thread on any one topic. That frustrates me greatly.

As it is with Naznet, I don't read every forum or posted thread, just topics that catch my interest. There doesn't seem to be a way to capture the theme for any facebook post that allows me to do that. So, I either need to read it all to find what does interest me, or ignore it altogether. I think I'm tending toward the latter.
    Thanks Lucas Finch, Marsha Lynn, Gina Stevenson, Eric Frey - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't participated much over the last year or more since getting a couple promotions and staying here in Australia. Now I am headed back to the States but will not be making the switch to Facebook. My participation and engagement on Facebook of any kind has dramatically decreased in the last year and as I keep pursuing some career goals in this industry and fill the extra bit of free time out with my girlfriend, I expect it to drop off even more. My time her even was good while it lasted. Thanks for everything.
    - Ben

Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death! And to those in the tombs, bestowing life!
    Χριστὸς ἀνέστη ἐκ νεκρῶν, θανάτῳ θάνατον πατήσας! καὶ τοῖς ἐν τοῖς μνήμασι, ζωὴν χαρισάμενος!

Post Thanks / Like

For me Facebook (& Instagram, Twitter et all) is pretty much a professional tool. I use it to connect with folks in my church. Naznet was/is hobby/entertainment/pleasure even when I was just reading. It really was a very unique environment that I've not seen replicated anyplace else. As it moves to the much less functional Facebook I suspect I will be spending less time online. I will miss reading through interesting threads but spending less time online probably isn't a bad thing. I'm looking forward to seeing how Facebook works when conversation get emotional or maybe the increased caution that comes with Facebook will tap down some of the emotion? -- At the very least it is going to be an interesting social experiment.
    It is not enough to be right, you have to be like Jesus.

Strength Finders - Futuristic, Strategic, Self Assurance, Individualization, Ideation
    Meyer's Brigs - ENTP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    At the very least it is going to be an interesting social experiment.
    Do you think it'll maybe turn into that, just an "experiment," and folks will do what they have to to revive this? We do have to agree with more than one who's mentioned FB format, the latest putting it in precise terminology re "lack of cohesiveness" when trying to follow any thread from start to finish.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Thanks Craig Laughlin - "thanks" for this post

Site Manager G R 'Scott' Cundiff's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

I feel about the topic of this thread about the same as I felt as a pastor when someone announced they were leaving the church. I discouraged people from making too big a deal of it. The more people pressed the issue the more the "leavers" had to commit themselves to leaving. At some point they felt obligated to leave even if they were having second thoughts about it. Don't get me wrong, most who announced that they were leaving followed through, but making them double down on it made it nearly impossible for them to change their minds.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gina Stevenson View Post
    Do you think it'll maybe turn into that, just an "experiment," and folks will do what they have to to revive this? We do have to agree with more than one who's mentioned FB format, the latest putting it in precise terminology re "lack of cohesiveness" when trying to follow any thread from start to finish.
    I don't know what it is going to look like. I do know that it won't be the same as NazNet on a bulletin board system but who knows, people may like it better and it certainly has the potential to connect with a lot more people. For some that broader reach is good, for others not so much. Change always involves loss but the new thing often has the potential to be better. Us high post count people are the losers in that by definition the old format worked well for us. That being said, from my perspective if it gets more people involved in (civil) conversations about our denomination and churches I would see that as a good thing. -

The reason I agreed to be a moderator on the Theology board is that I believe God uses technology for His Kingdom and I want to be a part of that. Will NazNet on Facebook be redemptive? I don't know. I know I'm among the losers with the change in that I prefer the Bulletin Board and will most definitely interact differently on Facebook but if it gets us talking to each other then my personal preference is a small price to pay.
    It is not enough to be right, you have to be like Jesus.

Strength Finders - Futuristic, Strategic, Self Assurance, Individualization, Ideation
    Meyer's Brigs - ENTP
    Thanks Peggy Gray - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I won't. Just tired of going back and forth. I'm tired of arguing the same points back and forth. I'm getting too old for this. It's been fun,maddening and frustrating at different times. I'm at a point in my life where I'm done arguing. This is my last post, so good bye kiddies.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Farra View Post
    I won't. Just tired of going back and forth. I'm tired of arguing the same points back and forth. I'm getting too old for this. It's been fun,maddening and frustrating at different times. I'm at a point in my life where I'm done arguing. This is my last post, so good bye kiddies.
    But, but, but . . . we still have THREE weeks together until the powers that be shut down the DOTCOM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Unger View Post
    So that we have a chance to say a proper good-bye...
    Hmm - too bad. Naznet was the last forum i've found using the V4 version of Vbulletin. Vbulletin in their infinite wisdom decided that nobody wanted threaded forums any more with their V5 offering, and it's gone chronologic.

Facebook, of course, isn't even as good as a non-threaded forum, so at least for the present, this will be the end of a 20 year association that began with "Christian Growth Ministries" back when I first got onto the 'net.

Blessing on y'all, and keep on keeping on.
    Thanks Marsha Lynn, Gina Stevenson, David Troxler, Susan Unger - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I am on Facebook and use it extensively. Right now I am using the messenger app to put kids camp together with my team. I took some of your topics and put them on Facebook. It was interesting to see new people have many of the same arguments and disagreements. I was hoping to see more of you begin posts and be engaged. I am sad that you are not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Borger View Post
    I am on Facebook and use it extensively. Right now I am using the messenger app to put kids camp together with my team. I took some of your topics and put them on Facebook. It was interesting to see new people have many of the same arguments and disagreements. I was hoping to see more of you begin posts and be engaged. I am sad that you are not.
    Not gonna do it. They close down the DOTCOM, they lose my participation. Given the fact that the police just deleted one of my threads, though, they're probably happier that way.

Thanks Tim Troxler - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Not gonna do it. They close down the DOTCOM, they lose my participation. Given the fact that the police just deleted one of my threads, though, they're probably happier that way.

They couldn't have waited a few weeks and deleted it with all the other threads?
    "Neither holiness nor love is Christian without the other...Love without holiness disintegrates into sentimentality. Personal integrity is lost. But holiness without love is not holiness at all. In spite of its label, it displays harshness, judgmentalism, a critical spirit, and all its capacity for discrimination ends in nitpicking and divisiveness." - MBW
    Thanks Lucas Finch, Emiko Cothran - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Troxler View Post
    They couldn't have waited a few weeks and deleted it with all the other threads?
    And I didn't even get a chance to archive it. There was some good, and some fun, and some downright just trolling, stuff there.

(How long before they delete these posts referencing it?)

Post Thanks / Like

And I didn't even get a chance to archive it. There was some good, and some fun, and some downright just trolling, stuff there.

I'm not sure. Better keep posting if you ever want to hit 5000; the deletions sure aren't helping you!
    "Neither holiness nor love is Christian without the other...Love without holiness disintegrates into sentimentality. Personal integrity is lost. But holiness without love is not holiness at all. In spite of its label, it displays harshness, judgmentalism, a critical spirit, and all its capacity for discrimination ends in nitpicking and divisiveness." - MBW
    Laughing Lucas Finch, Susan Unger - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

Must!

Post Thanks / Like

It's unilateral decisions without explanation and inconsistent enforcement of rules that I won't miss. I'm hoping FB can jumpstart some better habits but as I'm already heavily involved in other FB groups, I doubt I'll join Naznet on FB.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't delete the thread but it needed to go. Just because the discussions are being moved to Facebook doesn't mean that people can act any way they want and challenging moderators to delete threads or posts is a pretty good way to get deleted.

Dave graciously gave people time to copy posts that interested them and to adjust to the coming change. It seems unreasonable for people to use that time to respond to that grace by acting like that. We're in real danger of seeing the end of the use of this software finishing up in a way that will leave a sour taste in everyone's mouth rather than by showing appreciation for what has been made available to us all at no charge all these years.
    Thanks Jim Chabot - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Reach!

Laughing Emiko Cothran - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

Five!

Laughing Emiko Cothran - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

Thousand!

Laughing Emiko Cothran, Susan Unger - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G R 'Scott' Cundiff View Post
    We're in real danger of seeing the end of the use of this software finishing up in a way that will leave a sour taste in everyone's mouth rather than by showing appreciation for what has been made available to us all at no charge all these years.
    I guess we get what we paid for?

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't delete the thread but it needed to go. Just because the discussions are being moved to Facebook doesn't mean that people can act any way they want and challenging moderators to delete threads or posts is a pretty good way to get deleted.

Dave graciously gave people time to copy posts that interested them and to adjust to the coming change. It seems unreasonable for people to use that time to respond to that grace by acting like that. We're in real danger of seeing the end of the use of this software finishing up in a way that will leave a sour taste in everyone's mouth rather than by showing appreciation for what has been made available to us all at no charge all these years.
    You know, Scott, I tried to show appreciation while expressing my strong disagreement with this move, but for the most part, we've (and, you'll note that it's more than just me) have been ignored). Rich even made the simple request to leave it up for a little longer to give people the chance to archive the database, and his request hasn't been acknowledged thus far. It's like y'all are turning your back towards us. Sometimes it takes a little pushing to get a response.

I'm frankly frustrated about how this whole thing has been handled. I've tried to interject some good humor with it as well, but I'm less than happy with what is happening here.

Thanks Monte Butts - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I guess we get what we paid for?
    Yeah, NazNet has been totally worthless to everyone. How's that for an in kind response?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Borger View Post
    I have a few I wanna start... Just too lazy to try to be smart and articulate at the moment.

I just read "Jesus wants to save Christians" by Rob Bell and would love to talk about the general theme

Post Thanks / Like

showing appreciation for what has been made available to us all at no charge all these years.
    In case you missed it:

Thanks for providing this little space for us on the interwebz for so many years, Dave! I respect your decision, and I agree that Facebook is the format that online discussion is going to. Still . . . this makes me sad.

I'm an avid Facebooker, so my disappointment isn't against Facebook at all. The format that discussion takes place in on Facebook is more difficult, in my opinion, to have a real, ongoing conversation. Certainly not at the depth that they have taken place on NazNet over the years. Frankly, I also do not feel as free to have the kind of conversations that I have here on Facebook. I know that NazNet is public, and I stand by everything that I have ever posted here, but NazNet has been a great place away from the people in my primary ministry context that I can let my hair down (Ha!) and speak a little freer than I feel I can do on Facebook. I have learned a ton from y'all over the years. You have broadened my perspective on our great church. (And hopefully, you all have benefited a little from my involvement as well.)

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I wish they just locked it instead.... I could see it was getting too heated.... Still, good stuff to vanish even if the conversation had to stop.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, NazNet has been totally worthless to everyone. How's that for an in kind response?
    I'm speaking of the moderation, not of the forum. I'm hoping the FB format makes it easier to run the group but as I said above,

It's unilateral decisions without explanation and inconsistent enforcement of rules that I won't miss.

Post Thanks / Like

You know, Scott, I tried to show appreciation while expressing my strong disagreement with this move, but for the most part, we've (and, you'll note that it's more than just me) have been ignored). Rich even made the simple request to leave it up for a little longer to give people the chance to archive the database, and his request hasn't been acknowledged thus far. It's like y'all are turning your back towards us. Sometimes it takes a little pushing to get a response.

I'm frankly frustrated about how this whole thing has been handled. I've tried to interject some good humor with it as well, but I'm less than happy with what is happening here.
    Yes, you've good naturedly expressed your disagreement. Most of the time I think it's fine, but how about letting it go rather than the constant jabs?

I'm not the person to respond to Rich, but I'm responding to you, pointing out that the threads intended to push the moderators to action, the complaining, and the like is somewhat graceless in the face of a lot of kindness across the years.

As for "turned backs" there's more going on that you know - but I've personally been active on the Facebook groups, trying to help keep the fellowship going through the transition.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm speaking of the moderation, not of the forum. I'm hoping the FB format makes it easier to run the group but as I said above,
    Good, I guess. Glad you are just complaining about the moderators.

Post Thanks / Like

We need a frowny face button by the "like" (like the prayer area has the "praying" button).

I just wanna click "sad" every time someone says they are leaving us... Every time they mention the forum closing...

It's a sad time. We need a "sad" button
    Thanks Gina Stevenson, Susan Unger - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

....er...
    Like they have at Facebook....
    Laughing Rich Schmidt, Susan Unger - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

Scott...Just got back on here and am seeing this. This is not meant in an harsh way, just a ligit question. Why was the entire thread deleted (with no comment whatsoever) instead of locked? Or, why not just Ben's last post deleted? I guess it doesn't matter now that NN is almost ending, but the idea that a moderator can just remove an entire thread with no explanation whatsoever to anyone is completely frustrating. Just like the other thread that "somehow" just disappeared into thin air.
    Thanks Tim Troxler, Emiko Cothran, Lucas Finch - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bentley View Post
    Scott...Just got back on here and am seeing this. This is not meant in an harsh way, just a ligit question. Why was the post deleted (with no comment whatsoever) instead of locked? Or, why not just Ben's last post deleted? I guess it doesn't matter now that NN is almost ending, but the idea that a moderator can just remove an entire thread with no explanation whatsoever to anyone is completely frustrating. Just like the other thread that "somehow" just disappeared into thin air.
    This bugged me too. I very much appreciated that in spite of our disagreement, you and I were able to carry on a good conversation. There's no record of that discourse anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Scott...Just got back on here and am seeing this. This is not meant in an harsh way, just a ligit question. Why was the post deleted (with no comment whatsoever) instead of locked? Or, why not just Ben's last post deleted? I guess it doesn't matter now that NN is almost ending, but the idea that a moderator can just remove an entire thread with no explanation whatsoever to anyone is completely frustrating. Just like the other thread that "somehow" just disappeared into thin air.
    I didn't delete the thread, but I think the tone was negative from the very beginning. Frankly, I wasn't following it and only glanced at it a few times, shook my head, and moved on.

Post Thanks / Like

This bugged me too. I very much appreciated that in spite of our disagreement, you and I were able to carry on a good conversation. There's no record of that discourse anymore.
    And I think it could have continued and been even more fruitful. We would not have agreed, and I wont speak for you, but I could still learn from the conversation. Anyway, whatever

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emiko Cothran View Post
    I have a few I wanna start... Just too lazy to try to be smart and articulate at the moment.

I just read "Jesus wants to save Christians" by Rob Bell and would love to talk about the general theme
    Oh, please no...and no john shelby spong either...ugghhhhh ...Wait, I will read that (I'll leave out colorful comentary here), but you have to read the book that I referenced on the now non exsistent thread that we wont speak of!! The title is - "God's Answer to the Growing Crisis" by Mike Bickle

(edited to add - We can talk about Bell if you'd like, but that thread will get deleted too!!! )

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, please no...and no john shelby spong either...ugghhhhh ...Wait, I will read that (I'll leave out colorful comentary here), but you have to read the book that I referenced on the now non exsistent thread that we wont speak of!! The title is - "God's Answer to the Growing Crisis" by Mike Bickle

(edited to add - We can talk about Bell if you'd like, but that thread will get deleted too!!! )
    Don't worry, it was one of his older books, before "Love Wins" or "What we talk about when we talk about God", very orthadox.

Don't worry, I don't like Spong very much, he seems angry and is very negative. I wouldn't recommend him.

I like John Dominic Crossin okay. I don't agree with everything he says (especially not the "naturalist" bit), but he has a clever, engaging way of speaking and good historical background, and he tries to follow Jesus even if he downplays the "magical elements".
    He brings up some good points even if I don't agree with him 100%
    (Just like you and Jim C can bring up good points even if I don't agree with your theology 100%).

How about Greg Boyd then? He's more conservative then Bell. He's one of my favorite authors!

Post Thanks / Like

Scott...Just got back on here and am seeing this. This is not meant in an harsh way, just a ligit question. Why was the entire thread deleted (with no comment whatsoever) instead of locked? Or, why not just Ben's last post deleted? I guess it doesn't matter now that NN is almost ending, but the idea that a moderator can just remove an entire thread with no explanation whatsoever to anyone is completely frustrating. Just like the other thread that "somehow" just disappeared into thin air.

I read Ben's last 2 posts and thought, "Uh oh, this thread's a goner" but I expected those to be deleted and the thread to be locked. I was shocked it was totally gone.

Post Thanks / Like

How about Greg Boyd then? He's more conservative then Bell. He's one of my favorite authors!
    I have honestly never heard of him

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you've good naturedly expressed your disagreement. Most of the time I think it's fine, but how about letting it go rather than the constant jabs?

I'm not the person to respond to Rich, but I'm responding to you, pointing out that the threads intended to push the moderators to action, the complaining, and the like is somewhat graceless in the face of a lot of kindness across the years.

As for "turned backs" there's more going on that you know - but I've personally been active on the Facebook groups, trying to help keep the fellowship going through the transition.
    Scott, you are doing a good job helping us with the transition, I'm thankful for this and I'm thankful for all the work that you and the other moderators have put into this place. I know that from time to time I have disappointed you, quite possibly deeply, yet you have always been kind and respectful in spite of this, I pray that I have shown you equal respect because you deserve respect, not because of your position here, rather because of the at times undeserved respect, fairness, and kindness you have shown me. Trying my best to have a positive attitude about the changes that are coming, and so far so good. Things are different but that's ok, perhaps the new format will actually be better, it does appear that the new format makes it difficult to hold a grudge or carry an argument too far, that's a good thing.

Thank you for your years of diligent service here, it's much appreciated.
    -Jim

To know and to serve God, of course, is why we're here, a clear truth, that, like the nose on your face, is near at hand and easily discernible but can make you dizzy if you try to focus on it hard. But a little faith will see you through.

Garrison Keillor

Post Thanks / Like

If y'all thought that you were going to make this change without any pushback, you deeply underestimated the appreciation many of us have for the community you have facilitated here. And really, that should be viewed as a compliment to you, Dave, and whomever else is involved in the running of this place. We don't want it to end! That is a good thing. And yes, as much as you may want to say it is just changing locations, THIS community IS ending. See my response to Kyle in another thread for a more detailed explanation. There is a new community springing to life, and it may be better than this one (time will tell) and many will transition from here to there (I will not), but it is a different community than what we have here.

Until you lock this forum or lock me down, I will continue to mourn the passing of this community. You should expect it. I will not shut up and go away. But I will try to keep it good-natured. (And really, my posts in the deleted thread WERE good natured. I can't speak for the posts of others.)

Post Thanks / Like

If y'all thought that you were going to make this change without any pushback, you deeply underestimated the appreciation many of us have for the community you have facilitated here. And really, that should be viewed as a compliment to you, Dave, and whomever else is involved in the running of this place. We don't want it to end! That is a good thing. And yes, as much as you may want to say it is just changing locations, THIS community IS ending. See my response to Kyle in another thread for a more detailed explanation. There is a new community springing to life, and it may be better than this one (time will tell) and many will transition from here to there (I will not), but it is a different community than what we have here.

Until you lock this forum or lock me down, I will continue to mourn the passing of this community. You should expect it. I will not shut up and go away. But I will try to keep it good-natured. (And really, my posts in the deleted thread WERE good natured. I can't speak for the posts of others.)
    Thank you. I agree. I'm not seeing anything in the FB version that wants to make me hang out there.
    Thanks Lucas Finch, David Troxler, Eric Frey - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think this is quite equivalent to people leaving a congregation. For one thing, for most of us, this is not our primary faith community. It is additional fellowship.

For another, none of us is leaving the existing fellowship. The fellowship is being moved to a very different venue and some of us won't be making the move for one reason or another. The idea of ignoring that reality while happily marching off to the new meeting place strikes me as dismissive and uncaring, maybe even introducing a sour note to the final days.

Personally, even though I still love what we have here, I hope to find online fellowship elsewhere and will maybe not mourn as much as Lucas and others. But I like the idea of a thread to bid farewell to those who will be left behind. I haven't said I'm not making the move because I don't know where my internet meanderings will take me, but even if I had, I don't think it would make me "double down" if someone took time to bid me farewell and express appreciation for the fellowship we have enjoyed over the years.

Having clicked on multiple notifications of new posts in the FB NazNet forums and ended up looking at the top of the forum with no clue where the referenced post might be, I have turned off all push notifications and will simply see what pops up on my regular feed.

Blessings to all,

Marsha

Post Thanks / Like

I read Ben's last 2 posts and thought, "Uh oh, this thread's a goner" but I expected those to be deleted and the thread to be locked. I was shocked it was totally gone.
    I suppose that there are two schools of thought that might be in play here. One might say that since this place is a goner (not true at all, sorry Lucas, but it's not, we are simply moving to a new place with different furniture and carpet.) that there is no real need for respect given that we will all be suspended permanently on August 1. Another might say that the respect we give to the moderators while knowing that our time is short is a form of thanks for what they have done for us in the past. Someone has said that the true measure of a man is what he is willing to do for those who cannot reciprocate. I think this is one of those situations.

BTW, the thread hasn't been deleted, it has been removed from public view and the moderators are discussing further action.
    -Jim

Garrison Keillor
    Thanks John F Martin - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

One might say that since this place is a goner (not true at all, sorry Lucas, but it's not, we are simply moving to a new place with different furniture and carpet.) that there is no real need for respect given that we will all be suspended permanently on August 1.
    My post count needs help. I might as well quote what I posted in another thread:

Kyle, you of all people here know that I am an avid facebooker. Facebook isn't the problem. The problem is that Facebook is not the place for this community.

Dave has tried to say that NazNet isn't being shut down. THIS community, though, whether it is best defined as NazNet or the DOTCOM IS being ended. The things that made this community great, the things that made this community unique, do not exist in the Facebook format. Let me give some analogies.

One person (Billy, I think) likened it to a small town versus a city. Let's say that NazNetDOTCOM is a village that exists a bit outside of the big city. For some reason, all of the villagers are forced to leave their village. They try to enclave together in the big city, but the reality is that try as they might, they lose the identity that they previously had. The previous community ceases to exist. Sure, new identity and community will develop, but it is not the same that many of the villagers cherished. They would just assume find community elsewhere. This is not their community.

Or try this: You are relatively fairly new to the RMD, so you don't have the history here that I have. Still, I think by now you have become familiar with the unique identity we have. Several years ago, prior to our last DS election, there were a few people who thought that maybe we should divide and merge into the surrounding districts. I'm never one to close off a conversation, and if that ended up being the best solution for our future, I would have regrettably gone down that road. But I was amongst those who wanted to avoid such a plan. So much of who we were as a Rocky Mountain District would have been lost as we were absorbed by others.

So here we are with NazNetDOTCOM. We are being forced into the "big city", or we are being told that we have to be absorbed by a larger community. Maybe this is for the best, maybe it's not. Regardless, NazNet as it currently is, whether DOTCOM or not, is being killed off. Perhaps a new, and maybe a better, community of NazNet will emerge in an enclave on Facebook. That's not my NazNet, though, and I have no interest being a part of it. I have other Facebook groups and pages that I admin and participate in. I will greatly miss this community, but I am being told that there is nothing to be done about it. The powers that be have spoken.

So . . . Goodbye, NazNet!

Post Thanks / Like

BTW, the thread hasn't been deleted, it has been removed from public view and the moderators are discussing further action.
    I'm expecting to be tied up, marched out on scaffolding for all to see my shame, and severely beaten with wet pool noodles. I expect that the moderators will unanimously agree that this is the best course of action. Anything less than this will be a terrible injustice. Let it be so.

Post Thanks / Like

My post count needs help. I might as well quote what I posted in another thread:
    Ok, so you really are opposed to the new carpet color then? I suppose that I'm not seeing it the same because while I wasn't sure about the carpet color, it is growing on me.

Anyways, hopefully I can help with your post count.
    -Jim

Garrison Keillor

Post Thanks / Like

"Having clicked on multiple notifications of new posts in the FB NazNet forums and ended up looking at the top of the forum with no clue where the referenced post might be . . . " (Marsha)

Exactly my point in trying to analyze, then give exact description of this huge FB failing.

Yes, not even exactly "new furniture, etc" but a lot of built-in organizational chaos . . . .
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Thanks David Troxler - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so you really are opposed to the new carpet color then? I suppose that I'm not seeing it the same because while I wasn't sure about the carpet color, it is growing on me.

Anyways, hopefully I can help with your post count.
    Sure, since changing the carpet in a building is the exact same as ripping a small community from their comfortable village, forcing the villagers into a large city of literally over a billion people, and expecting them to retain their identity.

I've conceded what emerges might be better than what we've had here, but it is NOT the same. To pretend it is disrespects those of us who cherish this community.

Thanks Tim Troxler, Gina Stevenson - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm expecting to be tied up, marched out on scaffolding for all to see my shame, and severely beaten with wet pool noodles. I expect that the moderators will unanimously agree that this is the best course of action. Anything less than this will be a terrible injustice. Let it be so.
    Nah, your just too likeable for that. Maybe, just maybe, the moderators are all praying that you will come around and join us, I know that I am.

In all sincerity Lucas, you are one of the few inhabitants of the dark side that I like and respect. When I think of you I think of 2 Kings 10:15, I would say that I will miss you, but since I'm praying for an intercession......................

-Jim

Garrison Keillor
    Laughing Lucas Finch - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gina Stevenson View Post
    "Having clicked on multiple notifications of new posts in the FB NazNet forums and ended up looking at the top of the forum with no clue where the referenced post might be . . . " (Marsha)

Exactly my point in trying to analyze, then give exact description of this huge FB failing.

Yes, not even exactly "new furniture, etc" but a lot of built-in organizational chaos . . . .
    I've had this happen, and I've also clicked and taken right to the post. It seems to matter where one clicks on the notification, I'm a very long ways from figuring out facebook.
    -Jim

Garrison Keillor

Post Thanks / Like

Sure, since changing the carpet in a building is the exact same as ripping a small community from their comfortable village, forcing the villagers into a large city of literally over a billion people, and expecting them to retain their identity.

I've conceded what emerges might be better than what we've had here, but it is NOT the same. To pretend it is disrespects those of us who cherish this community.
    No one is saying it is the same. So far it seems to be better, just sayin, and your mileage apparently does vary.

I said over on the verbotten thread that it does seem more Nazarene over there and it does seem this way, hopefully that's not what caused the thread to explode.
    -Jim

Garrison Keillor

Post Thanks / Like

-Jim

Garrison Keillor

Post Thanks / Like

Nah, your just too likeable for that. Maybe, just maybe, the moderators are all praying that you will come around and join us, I know that I am.

In all sincerity Lucas, you are one of the few inhabitants of the dark side that I like and respect. When I think of you I think of 2 Kings 10:15, I would say that I will miss you, but since I'm praying for an intercession......................

Well, I am a part of the groups, and I'll watch from time to time. Maybe even click "Like" here and there. But I highly doubt I'll post much, if ever.

I've also just joined Naz Too. (Thanks for the tip, Jim B.!) I don't anticipate posting there, either. Facebook groups work great for giving out information to a group of people. I have one for my youth group, one for my district NYI, and one for my church's praise team. I've had a few others here and there as they've seen appropriate. But what takes place in a discussion forum/bulletin board format just doesn't translate well to the way Facebook groups are discovered.

Now . . . if Facebook would implement an option for a more traditional bulletin board feature, I might be a little more interested. Still, though, Facebook is too "out there" for the sort of conversations that I am interested in being a part of. I enjoyed our small village away from the noisy city.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marsha Lynn View Post
    Having clicked on multiple notifications of new posts in the FB NazNet forums and ended up looking at the top of the forum with no clue where the referenced post might be, I have turned off all push notifications and will simply see what pops up on my regular feed.

Blessings to all,

Marsha
    I've been trying to figure this out too. So far, my best approach when using the laptop is this:

Click on News Feed
    Next to it, there are three dots .... click on those
    Pick Groups Feed (it also works pretty good for Friends as well)

You will now see all the groups you are a member of - they are expanded to the latest posts there. I've been scrolling through that list, checking out the latest from all my groups, including the NazNet ones. I'm not sure it will be easiest for me, but I'm trying it out for now.

Post Thanks / Like

I said over on the verbotten thread that it does seem more Nazarene over there and it does seem this way, hopefully that's not what caused the thread to explode.
    I was meaning to ask about this. Not sure what you meant. I'm assuming you mean they have more potlucks!

Post Thanks / Like

I was meaning to ask about this. Not sure what you meant. I'm assuming you mean they have more potlucks!
    What I mean is that there appear to be a good group of folks who are quite happy to be Nazarenes and who are quite happy with our Church as it is. It is refreshing, especially for a foreigner in a strange land, so I'm encouraged that just maybe this move is going to be a good thing.

Thanks for the reminder though, we are having a potluck this Sunday, and Cape Verdeans really know how to cook! Mmmmmmm.................. Between the cooking, the worship and the fellowship, one would think that they had died and gone to heaven!
    -Jim

Garrison Keillor
    Thanks Tim Troxler, Susan Unger - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Re: Who will NOT be on Facebook?

I've had this happen, and I've also clicked and taken right to the post. It seems to matter where one clicks on the notification, I'm a very long ways from figuring out facebook.
    Jim, you're only "taken right to THE post" when the notification contains info re ONE post. If posts are written within a close enough timeline to each other, they'll be lumped together. Good luck with figuring out where all 11-12 posts are! Even 3-4, & not just the first one.

Will be there, but enthusiasm deflated a good bit, due to the messy forum format.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Post Thanks / Like

I hope they decide to lock it and make it available for view again. There was quite a bit of ugliness there, from multiple people... but I always think it's better to lock those threads, with an explanation from a moderator, than to delete them. Let them stand as an example of how NOT to talk to each other. Otherwise, the learning opportunity is gone. Plus, the sudden disappearance of a conversation you were engaged in is just plain jarring.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Schmidt View Post
    I hope they decide to lock it and make it available for view again. There was quite a bit of ugliness there, from multiple people... but I always think it's better to lock those threads, with an explanation from a moderator, than to delete them. Let them stand as an example of how NOT to talk to each other. Otherwise, the learning opportunity is gone. Plus, the sudden disappearance of a conversation you were engaged in is just plain jarring.
    It's been deleted. There was an explanation given in another now-locked thread.

Post Thanks / Like

It's been deleted. There was an explanation given in another now-locked thread.
    Ah. I hadn't seen that thread. And now I see that David expected us all to see that thread.

I guess we all use(d) these forums differently. I only click the "New Posts" link once I've caught up with all my subscribed threads. I'd not caught up with them all until just now, after leaving that comment.

If the hosts/moderators found it frustrating that people didn't look for a new, separate thread with an explanation for what happened... well, they're going to be SUPREMELY frustrated once they try that in a FB group. New posts vanish almost as soon as they appear, pushed down-screen by other posts with new comments on them. Users really have to work to catch new posts.

Even pinned posts don't always get noticed, since the phone app for FB only shows a link for it at the top of the screen, with no notification that it's been changed from whatever the last pinned post was. So everyone who's already read the pinned post gets used to ignoring it, thinking they've already read it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Schmidt View Post
    If the hosts/moderators found it frustrating that people didn't look for a new, separate thread with an explanation for what happened... well, they're going to be SUPREMELY frustrated once they try that in a FB group. New posts vanish almost as soon as they appear, pushed down-screen by other posts with new comments on them. Users really have to work to catch new posts.

Even pinned posts don't always get noticed, since the phone app for FB only shows a link for it at the top of the screen, with no notification that it's been changed from whatever the last pinned post was. So everyone who's already read the pinned post gets used to ignoring it, thinking they've already read it.
    Agreed. It's also a moot point since it was an active thread, the questions about what happened to it were asked before the explanation was given. I can only hope that going forward the moderators are more gracious and able to provide a real-time note that something was removed to be looked at later. Transparency would reduce questioning.

Post Thanks / Like

To be fair:

After thinking about it some, the main topic of conversation had become discussing a person and group that was not present to defend themselves. The language was very harsh... While I was defending the person and trying my hardest to be "nice" to all, I must admit I was "enjoying myself". And this "pleasure" at was at someone else's expense.
    It's like... Like engaging in gossip. You may be trying to set the record straight, or trying to defend the one being gossiped about... But if you are SAD or MAD or UPSET when the gossip stops (as I was) then you were actively getting pleasure from the gossip, even if that pleasure was in refuting or just listening to it.

It's like saying "I wasn't having an affair." Yet being upset when the person who you kept turning down stops hitting on you.

At first I only saw the problem as one of us started to verbally attack another one of us...

But now I see we were all actively engaged in gossip about a person/group not here for hours or days...
    ..and enjoying it.
    I was enjoying it.

I have to sorrowfully retract my wish the thread stays.

I was getting sinful pleasure from it.

Sinful because my thought was only on how fun the debate was and not how this person would feel if they ever saw the posts!

And when it was deleted my thought was again about me-- hey! I was enjoying that! It was interesting and fun to me! All about me!

Not about the victims (both the person here who was getting attacked and the one being gossiped about behind their back).

On the other hand

...I do think nerves are taught all around because something we love is dying...

I can't imagine this blow back against moderators happening if a lot of us didn't feel "this may have been our last epic conversation with friends we may never see again."

Half the people in that thread are not going to post in the new place. That makes every word precious in a way it ordinarily wouldn't be.
    Thanks Marsha Lynn, Gina Stevenson, Jim Chabot, Susan Unger - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

(both the person here who was getting attacked and the one being gossiped about behind their back).
    Shocking! Certainly not the sort of thing that has ever happened around here before?

Glad that I missed it, surely it was a bunch of mean spirited unloving stingy conservatives leading the charge?
    -Jim

Garrison Keillor
    Laughing Jim Bentley - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

As the days of Naznet are winding down, I think I will miss it more than I realized when it was first announced. I learned a lot from a number of people and felt I got to know them, even though I only met a few in person. I tried the Naznet Facebook group but left it this week, mostly because I am already a part of the NazToo group, which I am enjoying. I am also a member of some other groups, and it gets to be too many after a while. So, with that, it's been a pleasure meeting you all!
    Thanks Wes Smith, John Kennedy, Gina Stevenson, Hans Deventer - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Shocking! Certainly not the sort of thing that has ever happened around here before?

Glad that I missed it, surely it was a bunch of mean spirited unloving stingy conservatives leading the charge?
    Not really. Blame goes all around! It kinda went like this:

A Conservative: So and so is a poo poo face!

A Liberal: No, You're the poo poo face!

Moderator: This thread's the poo poo face!

Lucas: The death of DOTCOM is the poo poo face! DOTCOM FOREVER!!! RESIST!!!

P.s. sorry for gratuitive use of the word "poo poo face". ^_~

Post Thanks / Like

To be fair:

After thinking about it some, the main topic of conversation had become discussing a person and group that was not present to defend themselves. The language was very harsh... While I was defending the person and trying my hardest to be "nice" to all, I must admit I was "enjoying myself". And this "pleasure" at was at someone else's expense.
    It's like... Like engaging in gossip. You may be trying to set the record straight, or trying to defend the one being gossiped about... But if you are SAD or MAD or UPSET when the gossip stops (as I was) then you were actively getting pleasure from the gossip, even if that pleasure was in refuting or just listening to it.

It's like saying "I wasn't having an affair." Yet being upset when the person who you kept turning down stops hitting on you.

At first I only saw the problem as one of us started to verbally attack another one of us...

But now I see we were all actively engaged in gossip about a person/group not here for hours or days...
    ..and enjoying it.
    I was enjoying it.

I have to sorrowfully retract my wish the thread stays.

I was getting sinful pleasure from it.

Sinful because my thought was only on how fun the debate was and not how this person would feel if they ever saw the posts!

And when it was deleted my thought was again about me-- hey! I was enjoying that! It was interesting and fun to me! All about me!

Not about the victims (both the person here who was getting attacked and the one being gossiped about behind their back).

On the other hand

...I do think nerves are taught all around because something we love is dying...

I can't imagine this blow back against moderators happening if a lot of us didn't feel "this may have been our last epic conversation with friends we may never see again."

Half the people in that thread are not going to post in the new place. That makes every word precious in a way it ordinarily wouldn't be.
    I appreciate your transparency in this post. It gives me some things on which to ponder.

I can honestly say that I was not getting pleasure from the debate on the now deleted thread. I was, however, upset because someone who was not present was being judged. Judgments made against others is one of the things that pushes my buttons. I don't think we as humans are ever in a place to say that someone else is most definitely not a Christian. Even when someone is engaging in behaviors that we believe or know to be unChristian, we still do not know how God is working in that individual's life. Perhaps he is speaking to them about those very behaviors, and they haven't responded yes . . . yet. By speaking so boldly against that person, we might serve to push them away from God; whereas, if we pray for them and reach out to them in a positive manner (if we are in a position to do so), we may serve as God's instrument in bringing them into the family.

At any rate, I don't want to risk opening another can of worms. Like I said, your post was a good reminder that we have to look at ourselves and our motivations for what we say and do. Even though I tried to engage kindly (and believe that I did) perhaps I should not have felt irritated while I was posting anymore than you should have felt pleasure.

Thanks again for your many thoughtful posts!

Post Thanks / Like

Not really. Blame goes all around! It kinda went like this:

A Conservative: So and so is a poo poo face!

A Liberal: No, You're the poo poo face!

Moderator: This thread's the poo poo face!

Lucas: The death of DOTCOM is the poo poo face! DOTCOM FOREVER!!! RESIST!!!

P.s. sorry for gratuitive use of the word "poo poo face". ^_~
    This is accurate.

+ Reply to Thread