+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do you trust God?

Post Thanks / Like

Do you trust God?

It seems the new thread feature hasn't been turned off quite yet and I noticed none of yesterday's threadpocalypse entries were in the theology forum, so I thought I would add one more. Unfortunately, I'm on my iPod Touch, which I love for reading but makes for slow typing, so for now I'll just ask the question: Do you trust God?
    Last edited by Marsha Lynn; July 15th, 2017 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Spellling
    Only the power of the Holy Spirit can get truth past the obvious.
    Thanks David Graham - "thanks" for this post

NazNet Host

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do you trust God?

I want to.

A conversation with my brother who is going through a serious tussle with cancer is an example. In our first long conversation ff. the discovery of the cancer, we spent an extended time talking about "Can we trust God with this?"

We agreed that we would not hit FB with the news and try to raise up thousands of people to pray. We agreed that God loves Bruce and me and doesn't need to be informed re. the need or to be reminded.

That does not mean we haven't prayed or have not appreciated the prayers of our friends & family. We have tried to focus on prayers of thanks and prayers of trust.

That scripture, "If you being evil know how to give good gifts to your child, how much more will your heavenly Father give good gifts/the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him."

It is easier to say "I trust God" than to "trust God."

Working at it.

Friend,

Wes
    Thanks Gina Stevenson, Marsha Lynn - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm trying to. Problem is, we have different goals. I would like to have a comfortable and healthy life with my loved ones, He's interested in shaping me in Christ's image who gave up exactly that amazing life, down to Calvary. I hate some people, He loves all of them. Which means I'm judging while He says that "to avenge is Mine" and it is He who is on the throne, not me. The bigger problem is, He is right and I am wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Challenging question to answer. I do trust God. Except when I don't.

I'm not sure what more to say than that. It is a topic that I have been reflecting on a lot lately as some challenging situations have come up in my life. I certainly have no answers, though. And I find that my trust continues to waver, despite my intent. "I believe. Lord, help my unbelief."
    StrengthsFinder Top 5: Input ---------- Intellection ---------- Connectedness ---------- Context ---------- Belief

Myers-Briggs Type: Introversion ---------- Intuition ---------- Feeling ---------- Perception (INFP)

My Website & Blog: alucasfinch.net
    Thanks Wes Smith, Gina Stevenson, Peggy Gray, Jim Chabot - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Finch View Post

I'm not sure what more to say than that. It is a topic that I have been reflecting on a lot lately as some challenging situations have come up in my life. I certainly have no answers, though. And I find that my trust continues to waver, despite my intent. "I believe. Lord, help my unbelief."
    It's sort of a tricky question. We once had a church survey that, among other things, checked our spiritual health. The responses were a scale of 1 to 5 from "strongly disagree" to "strongly agree." The middle response was "no opinion." I refused to respond to several of the questions measuring our spirituality including "Prayer works."

Prayer works? Works for what? It's not particularly effective for stopping the rain. Or smiting my enemies. Or feeding the dog. Or bringing dead people back to life. Or curing cancer. Or letting my family know I'm running late. Or picking up milk at the store.

This seems like the wrong question to me. I can confidently say prayer makes a difference in my life and world, but I wouldn't say it "works."

The results recorded my response as "no opinion." I wasn't happy. I had a strong opinion! My opinion was that it was a terrible question!

The question about trusting God is similar. Trust God for what? For happiness? Perpetual clear blue skies, green grass, and rainbows? (Note, these are mutually exclusive.)

Still, like Wes, I am taken by the verse from last week's Sunday School lesson about evil fathers who wouldn't give their child a stone when they asked for bread. It seems I often am afraid to ask for bread for fear I'll get a stone and will lose faith because of it. Better not to ask at all than to walk that path, right?

Because I struggle to trust God. Like someone said during the Sunday School discussion, there's this thought that many times when we ask for bread God gives us a stone in order to teach us some sort of lesson.

In another thread I mentioned a good friend who quit speaking to me for two years other than the bare minimum required to have no one besides me notice (which required amazingly few words, even after the first few months of total avoidance). I still don't know why, but I realized fairly quickly that my trust for that person enabled me to accept that there was a reason I would understand and accept if I knew it, that it wasn't punishment for some one thing I had done, that there was no grudge involved, that it wasn't a matter of dislike.

I have gone back to that situation multiple times. It was easy to trust my friend because of our history together. I didn't have to demand an explanation or insist on a fixing the problem. Can I extend that level of trust to other situations? Do I know God well enough for that level of trust?
    Only the power of the Holy Spirit can get truth past the obvious.
    Thanks Gina Stevenson, Peggy Gray, Billy Cox - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Finch View Post

Same here, same thoughts and also some challenging situations.

When I think on the question, I find that it is my very soul that is at stake here. The endpoint of my thoughts are that should I not trust God, then I am not saved. We are told that it is by grace that we are saved. Fair enough, pretty easy and quite comfortable, I'm good with that. Then we find that grace comes with a specification, for it is by grace that we are saved, through faith. From which a myriad of passages come to mind that reinforce this aspect. Without faith it is impossible to please God coms to the forefront, along with so many passages where Jesus commends faith and condemns lack of faith, going so far to say that once someone puts their hand to the plow and then turns back there is no hope. So my thoughts toward trusting God become a little more serious than a heart attack. (I've had two of those, not afraid of dying.)

My thoughts on faith have been solidified by Gene Scott who was the first to get me to see that James and Paul are saying the very same thing. Because faith isn't belief, it is action. Paul tells us that we are saved by faith, James tells us that without works, there is no evidence of a saving living faith, and John tells us that faith is a verb. Given these things, I can agree with Gene when he says that "faith is an action, it is based upon belief and sustained with confidence." Faith is trust, to the point where it is actionable, one can "believe" that a certain chair will hold his weight, but until he sits in the chair he has not exhibited faith, should the chair hold him it will be much easier to sit in the next chair. So yeah, I trust God, especially when I consider the consequences of not trusting Him. And then I'm reminded of Adam and Eve who's sin is best characterized as a failure to trust, a lack of faith, both which point to a poor appraisal of the person of God.

So I must trust God, otherwise I am lost. It's not an option.
    -Jim

To know and to serve God, of course, is why we're here, a clear truth, that, like the nose on your face, is near at hand and easily discernible but can make you dizzy if you try to focus on it hard. But a little faith will see you through.

Garrison Keillor
    Thanks Marsha Lynn - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re Gene Scott solidification: as long as you're not smoking cigars and repeatedly requesting the same song we won't be worried.
    Laughing Gina Stevenson, Jim Chabot - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

Do I trust God. I need to. I desperately want to. I long ago became able to differentiate between what God can do and what he will do. And that sometimes causes me trouble. I can verbalize interminably about trusting God, but I'm not always sure I believe what I say. The NT statement, "I believe. Help my unbelief." best describes my condition.
    Thanks Gina Stevenson, Jim Chabot, Marsha Lynn - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Kennedy View Post
    Re Gene Scott solidification: as long as you're not smoking cigars and repeatedly requesting the same song we won't be worried.
    Git on the telephone!

Am I boring you!

Some things you never forget about the crazy old coot. I gotta tell you though, in between the crazy spells, that guy taught me more and deeper theology than anyone else, when he was on a roll there was no one that could hold a candle to his intellect. Or as he used to say, "I've got a PhD from Stanford, not some mail order Christian college, changed majors at every turn, 4.0 average and was the reader in most of my classes, you want to argue with me?"

"Had a conversation with Swaggart the other day. Here's a couple of pictures of the meeting."

All offered in the spirit of humor and tongue in cheek (sorta)
    -Jim

To know and to serve God, of course, is why we're here, a clear truth, that, like the nose on your face, is near at hand and easily discernible but can make you dizzy if you try to focus on it hard. But a little faith will see you through.

Garrison Keillor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Kennedy View Post
    Do I trust God. I need to. I desperately want to. I long ago became able to differentiate between what God can do and what he will do. And that sometimes causes me trouble. I can verbalize interminably about trusting God, but I'm not always sure I believe what I say. The NT statement, "I believe. Help my unbelief." best describes my condition.
    Amen John, amen! Lord have mercy upon me, a sinner.
    -Jim

Garrison Keillor

Host Theology Forum David Graham's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'm learning to trust God. It's easier however, to trust him with "stuff" you've no control over.... like what happens after you die. No amount of worrying or "preplanning" is going to make any difference, after all what can you do in the physical universe that would make a skerrick of difference in the spiritual realm? Jesus, proved that he came from the other realm by the things that he said and did, including raising from death. So, I find it easy to trust him to do for me what I cannot.

However, where I struggle is knowing how much I am responsible for on my own and where the "demarkation" lies between my efforts and Gods. For it appears that God doesn't want us to be so passive and lifeless that we just sit around waiting for something to happen. At the same time, I am not convinced that it is transactional either.... i.e. I do my part (pay my dues (pray, witness, work and trust) and God does his bit and it all works out, honkey dorey. Somehow, there is added to the mix the possibility that we might be given insights into the will and purposes of God so that we can act in obedience to the divine will and then when having done what we've been told to rest and to wait expectantly for God to work.

Like most things in my spiritual life this is not as clear cut as some people that I've met,think that it should be.
    Thanks Jim Chabot, Marsha Lynn, Gina Stevenson, John Kennedy - "thanks" for this post

+ Reply to Thread