+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma City a bad place to live?

Post Thanks / Like

Oklahoma City a bad place to live?

I was surprized to see Oklahoma City listed at the 5th worst place to live in the U.S. I have always thought that OKC was one of the best.

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/0...laces-to-live/
    Thanks Marg Shurtliff - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Oklahoma City a bad place to live?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave McClung View Post
    I was surprized to see Oklahoma City listed at the 5th worst place to live in the U.S. I have always thought that OKC was one of the best.

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/0...laces-to-live/
    The article seems to suggest that OKC is a bad place to live because people there are fat. Maybe the high concentration of Nazarenes in the area skews things a bit.

Host Book, Movie & CE forums Ryan Scott's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

I can't say I'm dying to live in any of those places.
    ...just my $.02.

Host Photography Forum Dana Grant's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Well, they didn't have many good things to say about Phoenix, either -- #7.

I think we'll just stay put. Gotta love the heat....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Scott View Post
    I can't say I'm dying to live in any of those places.
    I think some of the critera used could be questioned. One reason OKC got low marks was because a lower percentage of people walk or bicycle to work. That assumption would seem to suggest that it is better for population to be bunched together than spread out. The reason fewer people in OKC walk to work is because OKC is really spread out. For most people, it is too far to walk from where they live to where they work. For me, that isn't a negative thing.

They also graded OKC down because it doesn't have enough baseball diamonds. I wonder if they counted rodeo arenas? It seems to me that the very question reflects a northeastern bias.

Another criteria is number of parks. Why does one need parks if wide-open country is at the city limits? Again, I think the creteria reflects a northeastern bias.

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen other articles that rated OKC as a great place to live because of its low cost of living and unemployment lower than the national average. I agree that OKC doesn't belong in a list that includes hopeless causes like Detroit and Cleveland.
    Thanks Betty Bolerjack, Susan Unger - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter and son-in-law live in OKC, and I so I can relate to both sides of the issue. On the one hand, it is a spread out city and so doesn't feel crowded in any way, and it has a nice (although really small) river walk and interesting downtown area. On the other hand, there are too many tornadoes, ice storms, grass fires, and the wind seems to never stop blowing. For me it's a great place to visit!
    Loving God . . . Loving others.

Post Thanks / Like

'Scuse me???? The first 4 get low marks in large part because of the financial situation and then he says OKC is a bad place to live because people here are unhealthy? Let's get consistent with the criteria! Besides, it's not that bad. As Dave pointed out, there are a lot of positives. As for people not bicycling to work, did they take into consideration the number of cyclists that routinely travel a rather lengthy bike trail (String of Pearls--not yet finished) through the city? They do it for recreation rather than riding their bikes to work. As Dave also pointed out, that's not real practical here, nor is walking to work. Are there things that could be improved upon? Sure. And the city continues with its MAPS programs, this time with a focus on building a park in the downtown OKC area. I'm not sure how beneficial that is going to be, but we shall see.
    Blessings,
    Betty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Bemis View Post
    My daughter and son-in-law live in OKC, and I so I can relate to both sides of the issue. On the one hand, it is a spread out city and so doesn't feel crowded in any way, and it has a nice (although really small) river walk and interesting downtown area. On the other hand, there are too many tornadoes, ice storms, grass fires, and the wind seems to never stop blowing. For me it's a great place to visit!
    People thought I was crazy for moving to OKC from Long Beach, CA because of the tornadoes. I told them at least we get a warning. There's no warning for earthquakes! Unfortunately, we have been having a lot of earthquakes here lately, mostly on the east side of the city. The good thing is that they are small ones.

I'll give you the one on the ice storms... I'd rather have snow than ice, but we sure got plenty of both last year! We usually only have one, or maybe two, big ice storms a year, though, and very little snow. You just learn to deal with it.

You are right about the wind, too, but that helps with the heat. Well, in the summer, that is! Of course, the grass fires wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the wind.
    Blessings,
    Betty
    Thanks Jon Bemis - "thanks" for this post

Host Book, Movie & CE forums Ryan Scott's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

I suspect this is pretty moot. People who like living in a place are not going to understand why it's unappealing to others. People who find a place unappealing are going to agree with those who agree with them.

Personally, the weather in OKC stinks and I'm not a far of places where you have to drive to get some where. It's not an ideal location for me. Granted, I recognize why residents might be offended to be lumped in with places suffering horrible unemployment and massive housing crashes - I do understand why some people like OKC - there's a growing downtown, etc.

I guess I'm on the fence here. At least OKC has a retort, unlike some of the other cities on the list. Even though I'm not likely to choose any of them for a vacation anytime soon.
    ...just my $.02.

NazNet Host

Post Thanks / Like

I spent five years in OKC/Bethany and have GREAT memories of the place! It is a pleasure to visit there as I still have lots of friends in the vicinity. Most recently, my sister & brother-in-law, Janet and Warren Neal, moved to Yukon. Looking forward to spending time with them in the future. My main problem with that area is the lack of mountains and an ocean. Lake Holdercloser was nice though! Lots of fun places within driving distance!

Friend,

Wes
    Thanks Kelly R Davis, Betty Bolerjack - "thanks" for this post

Site Manager G R 'Scott' Cundiff's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

I've lived in Indiana, Florida, Illinois, Arizona, Texas, Oklahoma, and Louisiana.

I can tell you without a doubt that the best place to live is close to family and good friends.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't put much stock in these kind of reports. I've seen places I've really enjoyed living in listed among the worst cities in the country, Nampa made that list a couple of times, and I've seen places I've really disliked living in listed among the best in the country, Papillion, Nebraska has been on that list. While at times I've agreed with listings that show cities I like in a positive light, I've also though that the cities I didn't like were never as bad as the negative reports depicted. And like Dave mentioned, many of these city surveys seem to have a bias, East Coast or otherwise, that skew how a particular city scores.
    Thanks Betty Bolerjack - "thanks" for this post

Senior Member Valisha Trammell Hall's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Oklahoma City is OK (lol). Honestly, I live here because it is close to my family. If family was not a consideration, I would choose to live in a larger city, with extensive public transportation, lots of museums and parks, and a progressive political atmosphere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Paul View Post
    I don't put much stock in these kind of reports. I've seen places I've really enjoyed living in listed among the worst cities in the country, Nampa made that list a couple of times, and I've seen places I've really disliked living in listed among the best in the country, Papillion, Nebraska has been on that list. While at times I've agreed with listings that show cities I like in a positive light, I've also though that the cities I didn't like were never as bad as the negative reports depicted. And like Dave mentioned, many of these city surveys seem to have a bias, East Coast or otherwise, that skew how a particular city scores.
    Gig Harbor has never made such a list. Those of us who live here complain about the traffic. All three of our stop lights take too long to change and it rains too much in the winter. Other than that, it would be hard to find something bad to say about Gig Harbor.

I have the freedom to live anywhere I choose. I choose Gig Harbor.

That being said, I am really nervous about the upcoming election. Bill Gates and his dad have proposed a state income tax for the State of Washington. If it passes, Linda and I are moving back to Texas.
    Thanks Hal Paul, Lee Branum - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well I can say I only moved there due to SNU and it was a completely different atmosphere than DFW was. I will say that I did get tired of have to drive to thing that seems to be across town and took a bit to get too. There seem to be a lot of open space that I never understood either. But I can say the one thing I enjoyed was SNU and the campus outside of that I am not sure I would move there even if they do say it is cheaper to live there. On the park thing I am not totally sure that is a completely accurate assessment since I lived about 5-10 minutes away from about 3 parks in the Bethany area alone. I am just hoping that they can get the river walk and some of the other things that they are wanting to do make the city more appealing to others. I do know that the river walk is suppose to be a copy of San Antonio and I know that there are some other things they are trying to copy of other states and well that have help those states bring in new comers so I think they are doing a pretty good job at seeing what works and what doesn't.
    "Means we use must be as pure as the ends we seek."

Post Thanks / Like

Gig Harbor has never made such a list. Those of us who live here complain about the traffic. All three of our stop lights take too long to change and it rains too much in the winter. Other than that, it would be hard to find something bad to say about Gig Harbor.

That being said, I am really nervous about the upcoming election. Bill Gates and his dad have proposed a state income tax for the State of Washington. If it passes, Linda and I are moving back to Texas.
    I think that might be new thing for states to do. It seems like most state are wanting to move to that, if they have not already. I just wish Texas had keep it right to Secede, as some see to have said it did! Also you can thank Oklahoma for filing a suit against the National Government for stepping on the feet of states right in relation to health care.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Smith View Post
    I spent five years in OKC/Bethany and have GREAT memories of the place! It is a pleasure to visit there as I still have lots of friends in the vicinity. Most recently, my sister & brother-in-law, Janet and Warren Neal, moved to Yukon. Looking forward to spending time with them in the future. My main problem with that area is the lack of mountains and an ocean. Lake Holdercloser was nice though! Lots of fun places within driving distance!

Friend,

Wes
    Yeah you have to love that Lake Hold her closer!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I decided to take your comment about Gig Harbor not making this type of list as a challenge, so far your claim stands strong, however a couple of your neighboring cities did make someone's list as "worst places to live" Seattle and Aberdeen. I think David Gilmartin's assessment of Forks and Vancouver, which didn't make his worst 50 list are more than a bit harsh. Funny thing is that as I've been looking at places to live after I retire from the Army, I considered Aberdeen for a time. I don't think it's right for Londa and me, but not because Gilmartin doesn't like it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Burton View Post
    ... I am just hoping that they can get the river walk and some of the other things that they are wanting to do make the city more appealing to others. I do know that the river walk is suppose to be a copy of San Antonio and I know that there are some other things they are trying to copy of other states and well that have help those states bring in new comers so I think they are doing a pretty good job at seeing what works and what doesn't.
    San Antonio's River Walk is overrated. I lived in SA for four years, the River Walk is too far away for most residents to be able to access, parking is horrendous, and the place is filled with out of town tourists. I much preferred leaving the city and heading to the Hill Country, but that isn't part of the city and will likely not be considered as part of what makes it a good, or bad place to live in any of these types of reports.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Brickley View Post
    Yeah you have to love that Lake Hold her closer!!!
    Perhaps he meant Lake Overholser.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that might be new thing for states to do. It seems like most state are wanting to move to that, if they have not already. I just wish Texas had keep it right to Secede, as some see to have said it did! Also you can thank Oklahoma for filing a suit against the National Government for stepping on the feet of states right in relation to health care.
    Although I have defended OKC, one downside in my mind is that politically speaking, Oklahoma makes most other 'red states' look downright pink. To be a moderate in Oklahoma is like being a Cubs fan in New York City.
    Thanks Valisha Trammell Hall, Steven Burton - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just noticed that the Oct issue of US News and World Report lists OKC as one of the best cities for retirement.

Post Thanks / Like

Just noticed that the Oct issue of US News and World Report lists OKC as one of the best cities for retirement.
    It also lists Overland Park, Kansas as one of the best places to reinvent your life. I'd endure a fair amount of physical pain to avoid that one.
    Thanks Ryan Scott - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

It also lists Overland Park, Kansas as one of the best places to reinvent your life. I'd endure a fair amount of physical pain to avoid that one.
    Curious as to source of the hate for Overland Park?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Cox View Post
    Curious as to source of the hate for Overland Park?
    All I remember of the place is cold wind blowing. Probably also some residual regret for having briefly attended an evangelical college nearby that is way too close to it's denominational flag pole. It's not OP so much as it's Kansas which isn't much different than Nebraska, another place I'd rather not go back to live.

NazNet Host

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps he meant Lake Overholser.
    No. Please don't mess with my memories.

Friend,

Wes

Host Fun & Prayer forums Gina Stevenson's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dana Grant View Post
    Well, they didn't have many good things to say about Phoenix, either -- #7.

I think we'll just stay put. Gotta love the heat....
    Well ... maybe somewhere outside Phoenix might be nice ... I know that up nawth isn't anywhere near livable, in my book ... hibernating is not comparable to living.

Yeah, like Michigan ... OK to visit ... in the summer ... but here I am, stuck all winter ... yet!

I think that might be new thing for states to do. . .
    Actually, not so new up here ... can't recall when it was Michigan was without any state income tax; seems it's been around forever, or nearly so.

Now as for comments re these reports being skewed ... any such reports, were I involved in making them, would be definitely skewed towards those cities in the southern parts.
    Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one. ~ Stella Adler
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    It takes a great deal of maturity to accept that trying to eliminate all risk eliminates life. ~ Susan Lapin ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    His anger lasts only a moment, but His favor lasts a lifetime! Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning. Psalm 30:5 (NLT)

NazNet Host

Post Thanks / Like

My best friend in College was Jim Standefer. Jim has gone on to be with the Lord forever, but we could never get together without talking about our memories of Lake Overholser and Holdercloser. Some of our memories were just good old fashioned guy experiences. We were "picked up" on three separate occasions at Lake Overholser by the same office officer. Once for shooting a rifle within the City limits. Once for having the audacity to actually be swimming in the lake. The other time was the best. One night we had "entertained" at a party. Back in those days we had the "Wes & Jim" show where we conducted our own live TV Evangelist show. We had our guitars and were always on the brink of singing a gospel song, but "just before we bring you that number" we need to let the audience know about a special deal on a highly anointed prayer cloth or how to purchase one album for the price of two, or to share a special testimony...usually about the fact that we needed money, new set of tires on our car, food, etc., etc. Anyway, after an evening of frivolity, we headed down to my car which was parked down by the shores of the Lake. The Deputy was investigating some report that someone had put a dead body in the Lake. We seemed like good prospects. Too long of a story to tell, but I remember telling him that those revolving lights were giving me a migraine. Could he please turn them off? He asked us to get out on the right side of the car. I got out on the left. I begged him not to shoot. Think Barney Fife. When he finally let us go, my car was out of gas, so he drove us to the "yard" and gave us a couple gallons to get us back to the College. We became rather good friends.

There were other memories at that other Lake.

Friend,

Wes

Post Thanks / Like

San Antonio's River Walk is overrated. I lived in SA for four years, the River Walk is too far away for most residents to be able to access, parking is horrendous, and the place is filled with out of town tourists. I much preferred leaving the city and heading to the Hill Country, but that isn't part of the city and will likely not be considered as part of what makes it a good, or bad place to live in any of these types of reports.
    Well to be honest I wouldn't want to live in SA anyways I don't really like the atmosphere (when my wife and I had our honeymoon there I always went during the day mainly morning when most people where probably still sleeping). I just thought it was interesting when I was talking to one of the developers for OKC and he was mentioning other ideas that they are taking from other cities as well. I can't remember the guys name and I lost his card when I moved out of the dorms.

Post Thanks / Like

Well to be honest I wouldn't want to live in SA anyways I don't really like the atmosphere (when my wife and I had our honeymoon there I always went during the day mainly morning when most people where probably still sleeping). I just thought it was interesting when I was talking to one of the developers for OKC and he was mentioning other ideas that they are taking from other cities as well. I can't remember the guys name and I lost his card when I moved out of the dorms.
    So, you were one of those tourists I was avoiding.

Actually, this thing about OKC building a river walk modeled after SATX is kind of one of those odd things that people do when they want to create new energy to a place. They find someplace else that has successfully done something unique and try to replicate it. The thing is, the appeal of SATX is that the River Walk is unique, and that it is right next to the Alamo, something people are going to go see anyway. I'm afraid that once OKC's river walk is completed, those who were proponents of the project are going to find themselves disappointed at the results. Kind of like when local churches try to clone themselves after some other innovative & "successful" congregation.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a feeling the OKC people are not crying in there coffee over this.
    “Bondservants, be obedient to those who are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in sincerity of heart, as to Christ; not with eyeservice, as men-pleasers, but as bondservants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart” (Eph. 6:5-6).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Bolerjack View Post
    People thought I was crazy for moving to OKC from Long Beach, CA because of the tornadoes. I told them at least we get a warning. There's no warning for earthquakes! Unfortunately, we have been having a lot of earthquakes here lately, mostly on the east side of the city. The good thing is that they are small ones.
    I just felt an earthquake here in OKC for the first time.

NazNet Host

Post Thanks / Like

4.5 is what I heard. Attention getter. It's the earth caving in where they've extracted all that oil!

Friend,

Wes

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, this thing about OKC building a river walk modeled after SATX is kind of one of those odd things that people do when they want to create new energy to a place. They find someplace else that has successfully done something unique and try to replicate it. The thing is, the appeal of SATX is that the River Walk is unique, and that it is right next to the Alamo, something people are going to go see anyway. I'm afraid that once OKC's river walk is completed, those who were proponents of the project are going to find themselves disappointed at the results. Kind of like when local churches try to clone themselves after some other innovative & "successful" congregation.
    OKC's riverwalk has been completed for about 8 years. It is very successful and has made downtown OKC a great destination.
    Thanks Valisha Trammell Hall, Hal Paul, Betty Bolerjack - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well I have to say it is more of creek than river though and oh yeah I go to a cloned church and I have to agree with both statements. I would just like to say though that I was one of the tourist that tried to avoid all the crowds :P I did like the mall on the river walk.
    Thanks Hal Paul - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Smith View Post
    4.5 is what I heard. Attention getter. It's the earth caving in where they've extracted all that oil!

Friend,

Wes

The OKC earthquake has now been upgraded to a 5.1

http://www.newsok.com/oklahoma-earth...rticle/3504094
    Thanks Betty Bolerjack - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Valisha Trammell Hall View Post
    I just felt an earthquake here in OKC for the first time.
    Ha! I didn't even feel this one! Mark and my mom both felt it and heard it, but I didn't. It's kind of weird that I didn't since it was felt from the DFW area all the way up into Kansas! For the record, I haven't felt any of the others, either. These rumblings are nothing compared to what I experienced in CA, but I'd just as soon they settle down.
    Blessings,
    Betty

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree with you Dave! I'll guarantee you the east side of the state will vote heavily against Initiative 1098. I don't know what it is, but every once in a while, someone decides that Washington State NEEDS an income tax! We don't!
    Thanks Dave McClung - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Having lived off and on for most of my adult life in Oklahoma City, I think it's actually pretty good. There is a vibrancy in the City that is invigorating. Things turned around with the adoption of the MAPS improvement project which created Bricktown and the new Bricktown Ballpark in the early 1990s. Now with the I-40 relocation project closing in on completion and the 50+ story Devon tower under construction (where they are now adding one new floor every 8 days!) things are moving. Because of the development of the Oklahoma River through downtown and the new Native American Cultural Center under construction, things are even happening on the river (who knew)? A new Arts District is developing southwest of the Civic Center and OKC Museum of Art. We are even one of the premiere locations for night rowing, as a destination for collegiate rowing competitions. In addition, the City is moving forward with the development of the related Core to Shore project, which will eventually carve out a large Central Park between the current footprint of downtown and the river. (These plans are actively underway: for example the Salvation Army is in a $10 million capital campaign to relocate because their property is being taken via emminent domain).

It's a great time to be in OKC! Granted, we don't have light rail yet, but it will happen eventually. You wait and see!
    John F Martin
    Grateful Believer in Jesus Christ
    Thanks Billy Cox, Betty Bolerjack - "thanks" for this post

+ Reply to Thread