+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to keep brass shiny - like new

Post Thanks / Like

How to keep brass shiny - like new

I'm puzzled and cannot figure out something that's quite important to me. I have a cane - see attached, please - the upper portion - the knob - is solid brass. I've used two well-known brass cleaners on it and it shines even better than the day it was born.

Maybe.

But keeping it shiny is another horse of a different color - or whatever.

I've applied spray lacquer - made it dull - and then had the difficult job of removing the lacquer - with 4.0 steel wool and nail polish remover.

Shined that baby back to it's like-new shine and applied well known nationally advertised gloss polyeurathane....same thing - made it dull...so another round of digging that off, a real chore.

I am using a cane most of the time now when away from the house and would love, for sentimental reasons, to keep this one looking spiffy. But the sweat of my palm - salty, right? - is creating havoc.

Does anyone have THE answer?

How do they keep those shiny door knobs looking like that, say at the White House?

Anyone?

Thank you
    -neb

ps - Isn't God good?!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	21 Hame Cane Bob & Sue.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	2686  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to keep brass shiny - like new

Brasso and elbo grease.

Long ago, 1961, I was in ROTC. We had brass buttons on our uniforms. The only way we could keep them bright and shiney was to polish them with brasso weekly.
    Thanks Nelson Bradford - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Bradford View Post
    I'm puzzled and cannot figure out something that's quite important to me. I have a cane - see attached, please - the upper portion - the knob - is solid brass. I've used two well-known brass cleaners on it and it shines even better than the day it was born.

Maybe.

But keeping it shiny is another horse of a different color - or whatever.

I've applied spray lacquer - made it dull - and then had the difficult job of removing the lacquer - with 4.0 steel wool and nail polish remover.

Shined that baby back to it's like-new shine and applied well known nationally advertised gloss polyeurathane....same thing - made it dull...so another round of digging that off, a real chore.

I am using a cane most of the time now when away from the house and would love, for sentimental reasons, to keep this one looking spiffy. But the sweat of my palm - salty, right? - is creating havoc.

Does anyone have THE answer?

How do they keep those shiny door knobs looking like that, say at the White House?

Anyone?

Thank you
    -neb

ps - Isn't God good?!
    Nelson,
    Try Duraglit it is a brass polish that comes in a small can and is like a wadding or cotton type material. You rub it on the brass and this finish with a clean smooth dry cloth. It is not a one shot one kill, deal. You'll need to repeat this ever so often.

My suspicions:
    The can handle you have "should" have been made with Anodized brass. It shouldn't ever need polishing with more than a smooth dry cloth, basically it only needs wiped down once in awhile. But, either due to your sweat/oils and the numerous treatments you have performed the Anodized layer is now gone. If it has real value to you check your area and see if anyone can Anodize (more than likely re-Anodize) it for you.

Blessings
    George

"Preach the gospel; if necessary use words" is like saying "feed the poor and; if necessary use food."
    Thanks Nelson Bradford, Diane Likens - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave McClung View Post
    Brasso and elbo grease.

Long ago, 1961, I was in ROTC. We had brass buttons on our uniforms. The only way we could keep them bright and shiney was to polish them with brasso weekly.

And here all my life, I thought the military was spit polish

BILL
    Laughing Nelson Bradford, Gina Stevenson - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

Brasso and elbo grease.

Brasso is what the Altar Guild ladies use to keep all the brass at church polished to perfection. They 'swear' by it!

My experience has been that Brasso required lots of elbow grease to get my brass things highly polished. There is one brand (in a fairly small tube) that I got from the lighting store that does a great job and is much easier to use; however, its price point is a bit higher than Brasso.

Adding: The small tube of paste polish that I referenced is Flitz. It certainly requires less elbow grease than Brasso.

-et-
    Last edited by Edith Thurmond; August 11th, 2011 at 10:56 AM. Reason: to add link

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Morrison View Post
    And here all my life, I thought the military was spit polish

BILL
    That is for boots. Brasso and/or Duraglit for all metal. Remember the armed services favor brass because of the large amount of effort required to keep it shiny.
    Laughing Bill Morrison, Diane Likens, Gina Stevenson, John Kennedy - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

Brasso and elbo grease.

^^ This. We have a lot of Brass all around out bar (railings, etc), and it gets polished with Brasso twice a week. Keeps it looking brand new.
    - Ben

Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death! And to those in the tombs, bestowing life!
    Χριστὸς ἀνέστη ἐκ νεκρῶν, θανάτῳ θάνατον πατήσας! καὶ τοῖς ἐν τοῖς μνήμασι, ζωὴν χαρισάμενος!
    Thanks Nelson Bradford - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

The original question was "how to KEEP brass shiny" - according to your wonderful responses, I guess the answer is to KEEP polishing, eh?

Duh, meeeeeeeeeeeeeee, Nelson Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Thanx
    -neb
    Laughing Cecil Wallace - thanks for this funny post

Host Fun & Prayer forums Gina Stevenson's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billie Goodson View Post
    That is for boots. Brasso and/or Duraglit for all metal. Remember the armed services favor brass because of the large amount of effort required to keep it shiny.
    As much busy work as possible ... ??
    Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one. ~ Stella Adler
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    It takes a great deal of maturity to accept that trying to eliminate all risk eliminates life. ~ Susan Lapin ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    His anger lasts only a moment, but His favor lasts a lifetime! Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning. Psalm 30:5 (NLT)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gina Stevenson View Post
    As much busy work as possible ... ??
    Actually, with the exception of Boot Camp (and this may no longer be done there as well) everybody uses Anodized Brass. It only requires a quick wipe down with a soft cloth. No time for busy work anymore

Blessings
    George

"Preach the gospel; if necessary use words" is like saying "feed the poor and; if necessary use food."
    Thanks Gina Stevenson - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by George Wallace View Post
    Actually, with the exception of Boot Camp (and this may no longer be done there as well) everybody uses Anodized Brass. It only requires a quick wipe down with a soft cloth. No time for busy work anymore

Blessings
    George
    I hardly had to polish any in basic training. However, after earning my commission I had the misfortune of having some of what I consider to be the finest examples of men wearing the uniform around me. They taught me to eschew the anodized imitations and put in the hard work. My oldest daughter still remembers me polishing my boots and brass the old fashion way.

From what I was told, the OCS programs were notorious brass junkies.

+ Reply to Thread