+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HP Desktop and Tablet combo

Senior Member Marian Schwaller Carney's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb HP Desktop and Tablet combo

I need to replace our home laptop(s). They are 2006 Toshibas and are either dead or dying. I just checked out Walmart's website and the HP desktop came up , with the tablet dock (tablet sold separately). I wonder what you think. My husband is a very low power computer user. He does not type really at all (takes forever to create an email), but he does well internet searching and is a used book aficionado so cruises those sites a lot.

I am a medium power user I suppose. I do need to build a website for our church (haven't got around to it yet) and in general be able to experiment somewhat with technology relevant to library sciences. I do have the use of my corporate laptop from which I type this now. But I'm not going to download WordPress onto it, for example, and I'd like to get back to personal stuff on my own machine (that is where WordPress will go) and not this one. For a PC, we're not major gamers or shutterbugs or entertainment types.

I'd like to spend no more than $500 for now. Is an HP desktop PC and HP tablet a good way to go? I have to check on the software pkgs and etc of course, would like all the basics inc Office inc in the $500.

Host Sports forum Shea Zellweger's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Re: HP Desktop and Tablet combo

Marian,
    I'm having trouble finding this bundle, could you provide a link? I know HP discontinued their tablet a couple of months ago, and then dropped the price to $99, which caused it to sell out, and they have not since produced any more. All that to say, if someone is advertising "HP tablet sold seperately," be aware it will be hard to find.

I wouldn't be too confident in being able to find a pre-fabricated desktop, tablet, and Microsoft Office package for less than $500 and have everything be good quality. there are some good tablets out there for less than $500, and there are definitely good desktops for that price, but the two together... it'd have to be a VERY cheap desktop, with monitor included.
    Thanks Marian Schwaller Carney - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Shea,
    Yeah, I think you are right. Maybe I am hoping we are cheap PC people, but eeven my husband gets frustrated with poor performace and lack of functionality.
    It is http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Desktop...#ProductDetail

Which I did not mine very deeply yet, to be honest, but, the package seemed a little sketchy. I read an interview with Meg Whitman and she wants to beat Apple in 2013, so I wonder if HP is going to swing back to pc's now she is CEO. In any event, I do not want to be stuck with a tool no one else is using, either. Already got that on my win 6.5 phone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marian Schwaller Carney View Post
    Shea,
    Yeah, I think you are right. Maybe I am hoping we are cheap PC people, but eeven my husband gets frustrated with poor performace and lack of functionality.
    It is http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Desktop...#ProductDetail

Which I did not mine very deeply yet, to be honest, but, the package seemed a little sketchy. I read an interview with Meg Whitman and she wants to beat Apple in 2013, so I wonder if HP is going to swing back to pc's now she is CEO. In any event, I do not want to be stuck with a tool no one else is using, either. Already got that on my win 6.5 phone.
    I would recommend (if you want a desktop) a system that has the current Intel Sandy Bridge CPU and a system that has a open or available 1 x PCI-Express x16 slot that would allow for a future video card upgrade. Most $500.00 Sandy Bridge systems ship with intergrated graphics such as Intel HD-Graphics 2000.

I've seen sub 500.00 systems without a monitor with a Sandy Bridge processor which would be more than fast enough for what you want to do. You can always add a video card upgrade if you get ito gaming

One example system
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883227367

Dell
    http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...d=inspiron-620&
    Thanks Marian Schwaller Carney - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Randy I will check this out. I'd not heard of Sandy Bridge. My corp lap top is a Dell Vostro, my first Dell experience... I've had it about 2 months and so far I like it a lot.

+ Reply to Thread