+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Differences between Jack Rabbits and Cottontail Rabbits

Post Thanks / Like

Differences between Jack Rabbits and Cottontail Rabbits

I thought some of you might enjoy this comparison between a jack rabbit and a cottontail rabbit. The main difference is size. A jack rabbit can be as large as 10 lbs. A cottontail will rarely reach one lb.

Jack Rabbits survive in the desert by being evasive. They run really fast and are incredible jumpers. One of their escape tactics is to run right at a cactus, then jump over it. They can jump higher than a coyote, so they usually escape.

The cottontail survives by having lots of babies. There are so many of them that some survive. Many don't.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2091.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	3468   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1894.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	3469  
    Thanks Cynthia Prentice, Marg Shurtliff, Vivian Cornwell - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Differences between Jack Rabbits and Cottontail Rabbits

I lived for a short time in Casper Wyoming.
    I know for a fact that jackalopes are even bigger than jack rabbits

BILL
    Laughing John Kennedy, Jeremy D. Scott, Katelynn Scott, Gina Stevenson - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

One time while traveling out west we woke up early at a motel and started our day before daylight. We were on the Interstate and saw about 40 jackrabbits all lined up in a row along the highway looking at the headlights going by. It was quite a sight.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivian Cornwell View Post
    One time while traveling out west we woke up early at a motel and started our day before daylight. We were on the Interstate and saw about 40 jackrabbits all lined up in a row along the highway looking at the headlights going by. It was quite a sight.
    I have read stories about how during the dust bowl the jack rabbits became so plentiful that they ate what few crops that were left. Neighbors would line up shoulder to sholder across a field carrying clubs. The would walk shoulder to shoulder to clean the field of jack rabbits. They called them "jack rabbit roundups." Here is film about it --
    Notice that the jack rabbits in the film are different from the one in my picture because the tips of their ears are black. The one in my pictures is an "antelope jack rabbit." It has white colored tips of the ears.
    Thanks Wes Smith, Marg Shurtliff, Vivian Cornwell - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Morrison View Post
    I lived for a short time in Casper Wyoming.
    I know for a fact that jackalopes are even bigger than jack rabbits

BILL
    Why do most jackalopes I see only have antlers and no other characteristics? I am guessing since you are in the biology field you answer would be spot on.
    "Means we use must be as pure as the ends we seek."
    Laughing Bill Morrison, Gina Stevenson - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Burton View Post
    Why do most jackalopes I see only have antlers and no other characteristics? I am guessing since you are in the biology field you answer would be spot on.

Jackalopes are amazing not only for their size but also in that they emerged long before adobe photo shop.
    "And as we pass the collection plate, please give as if the person next to you was watching."
    -Rev. Lovejoy
    Laughing John Kennedy - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

Was driving one night on a gravel road in SD and a jackrabbit darted out and started running ahead of the car. It was kind of like it was mesmerized by the headlights. I stopped the car and the rabbit stopped. I turned off the headlights and then turned them back on - the rabbit just sat there. When I started up the car again it took off, maintaining about the same distance. At one point the road veered to the left and the rabbit chose to keep going straight ahead and off the road.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Moseley View Post
    Jackalopes are amazing not only for their size but also in that they emerged long before adobe photo shop.
    Another of the marvels of nature. It's a wonderful world we live in.
    Laughing Gina Stevenson - thanks for this funny post

NazNet Host

Post Thanks / Like

Cotton tails were a staple in our diet in my growing up days (sounds better than 'olden') in Iowa. We loved to hunt them and considered rabbit somewhat of a delicacy.

I've been told that jack rabbits are tough and stringy. Never ate one, but have shot plenty of them. They really are amazing in size.

Friend,

Wes

Host Fun & Prayer forums Gina Stevenson's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Moseley View Post
    Oh, you must be talkin' 'bout the cut-&-paste era, Scott!
    Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one. ~ Stella Adler
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    It takes a great deal of maturity to accept that trying to eliminate all risk eliminates life. ~ Susan Lapin ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    His anger lasts only a moment, but His favor lasts a lifetime! Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning. Psalm 30:5 (NLT)

+ Reply to Thread