+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Business Manager or Administrative Pastor

Post Thanks / Like

Business Manager or Administrative Pastor

Some churches have an "Administrative Pastor." I am wondering what it is that makes this position a clergy position rather than a non-clergy position.

That is, rather than adding an, "Administrative Pastor," to ministerial staff, why not add a, "Business Manager," to non-clergy staff?

(I'd especially like to hear a bit about job description from some of you at churches that actually have an administrative pastor...)

Wilson
    "But by the grace of God I am what I am." (1 Cor. 15:10)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Business Manager or Administrative Pastor

Wasn't this position called the "sexton" back in the day?
    -Jim

To know and to serve God, of course, is why we're here, a clear truth, that, like the nose on your face, is near at hand and easily discernible but can make you dizzy if you try to focus on it hard. But a little faith will see you through.

Garrison Keillor

Post Thanks / Like

My Administration person is also my worship leader. He splits time and has a degree in religion and is ordained. I am also moving to a full time office manager which will do a lot of administration and manage lots of volunteers as well as run some programming. This will not be an ordained position.

If I ever get to the point of needing a full time Pastor of Administration I would seriously consider a person with a business/accounting/legal background and moving away from the clergy. In fact I would more than likely go that way. Would have to be pretty large to justify that. More likely would be a pastor gifted in administration and maybe with some background in business but who is also a spiritual leader and oversees operations.

I think churches between small and very large have a tendency to make it up as they go along and often shape the organizational structure around the gifts of the Sr. pastor. (Hire where she/he is weak) - Least that what I am doing.
    It is not enough to be right, you have to be like Jesus.
    Thanks Jim Chabot, Scott Sherwood - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I would say credentialing is the only issue, Wilson. I'd suspect that the "job description" could be almost identical for both categories (though a pastor would likely relate to other pastors on staff differently) but someone called to vocational ministry, pursuing (or having completed) ministerial studies and district licensed or ordained is the only person who should be labeled as a pastor (except if they were labeled "Lay Pastor of Administration").

Beyond that, I would suggest that your scenario of hiring a business manager as part of the non-ministerial staff would be valid unless the job description calls for (at least) occasional preaching or other ministerial activities.
    Thanks Jim Chabot - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Can I assume that you are differentiating this from an "Executive Pastor" who oversees the administrative functions of larger churches?
    "Fully embracing the Gospel, fully engaging the world"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Chabot View Post
    Wasn't this position called the "sexton" back in the day?
    Typically, a sexton was responsible for maintenance of facilities.
    "Fully embracing the Gospel, fully engaging the world"
    Thanks Jim Chabot - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schutz View Post
    Can I assume that you are differentiating this from an "Executive Pastor" who oversees the administrative functions of larger churches?
    Actually, Mike, in this particular case I am not differentiating. In fact, for the question I am wanting answered, I probably should have use the term, "Executive Pastor." When a "Lead Pastor" brings on an associate pastor with the title of "Executive Pastor," I'm wondering what makes that function different from a "Business Manager."

Given your statement, however, I am now wondering what the difference is (I wasn't even aware of) between an "Administrative Pastor" and an "Executive Pastor." (other than the title!)

Wilson
    "But by the grace of God I am what I am." (1 Cor. 15:10)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson Deaton View Post
    Some churches have an "Administrative Pastor." I am wondering what it is that makes this position a clergy position rather than a non-clergy position.

That is, rather than adding an, "Administrative Pastor," to ministerial staff, why not add a, "Business Manager," to non-clergy staff?

(I'd especially like to hear a bit about job description from some of you at churches that actually have an administrative pastor...)

Wilson

Wilson, I have served on the board of several different churches that had Administrative Pastors. I am sure there are other issues involved but a really big one is cost. It costs less to employ a member of the clergy than it does to employ a lay person with similar skills. I am not saying that it should be that way -- only that it is the reality.
    Thanks Steven Martinez, Susan Unger - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave McClung View Post
    Wilson, I have served on the board of several different churches that had Administrative Pastors. I am sure there are other issues involved but a really big onAe is cost. It costs less to employ a member of the clergy than it does to employ a lay person with similar skills. I am not saying that it should be that way -- only that it is the reality.
    Another thought -- in many of the larger churches some of the clergy staff report to the Executive Pastor or Administrative Pastor. In many cases clergy don't want to report to a lay person.
    Thanks Steven Martinez, Susan Unger - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave McClung View Post
    Another thought -- in many of the larger churches some of the clergy staff report to the Executive Pastor or Administrative Pastor. In many cases clergy don't want to report to a lay person.
    Sure hope they never have to deal with lay members on the District Advisory Board.
    Laughing David Ward, Susan Unger - thanks for this funny post

+ Reply to Thread