+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Upgrading from 2008 MacBook Pro to new iPad + iMac...

Post Thanks / Like

Upgrading from 2008 MacBook Pro to new iPad + iMac...

The church's early-2008 15" MacBook Pro is starting to need replaced for my day-to-day usage. The battery's almost completely shot, I never upgraded the OS past 10.5 Leopard, and frankly I'm getting a little tired of lugging it around.

Anyway, while I'd love a new laptop, I'm thinking that instead I'll go with the new iPad and a 21.5" iMac. I'll probably buy the iPad now and then get the iMac after they refresh the line later this year sometime. Combined, they cost about the same as what I'd spend buying a new MacBook Pro.

The thought is that the iMac can stay at the church (to be used with ProPresenter on Sundays and in the office during the week), and I can use the iPad everywhere I go during the week. I plan to get one of the remote desktop apps for the iPad so that I can connect to the iMac remotely if I need to dip into an OS X app on the go or grab a file I don't have in Dropbox, etc. I already own Apple's bluetooth keyboard, and I plan to have that in my bag along with the iPad, in case I need to do some extended typing while I'm at home or in a coffeeshop or wherever.

On a recent trip with some other pastors, I saw one using his iPad + keyboard to do some sermon work on an airplane, and I think that finally convinced me to take the plunge.

Are any of you doing something like this? How do you like it?
    Thanks John Reilly - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Upgrading from 2008 MacBook Pro to new iPad + iMac...

This is similar to what I'm doing.

I use my iPad most of the time. I don't use a remote desktop app. For sermon-writing, I use the Notes app, which syncs with my Google account (through Gmail). Not that I really need that though, because I don't print it out. I just preach from Notes on my iPad. When I use Keynote (plus the remote on my iPad), I make it on my iMac. The church owns a MacBook that I have sometimes used, but mostly it's for use in worship (though lately, I have been using it more when I teach). There are of course times that I need to use a computer, but I wouldn't go back to a laptop in my situation. I really appreciate the portability of the iPad and the Brookstone case/keyboard that I have, which I think would be less cumbersome than using Apple's wireless keyboard and a case/stand. I rarely even take my bookbag with me now when I go somewere; just the iPad in its case. In my life - always on the go with four kids/schedules/etc. - the ease of only two seconds opening/closing the case and no shut-down/start-up time with the iPad...it's very helpful. The fact that Kindle houses most of the books I need is a huge factor.

I really like my set up, but realize it won't work for everyone.
    Thanks Rich Schmidt - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Jeremy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy D. Scott View Post
    I use my iPad most of the time. I don't use a remote desktop app.
    One of my main frustrations with email on the iPhone is the fact that I can't quickly and easily search my entire email history (going back to 2007) like I can on my laptop. So that's one of my anticipated uses for the remote desktop app: dipping into Mail on the iMac to search my email.

Post Thanks / Like

Rick, I think you are smart to go this root. My son uses an iMac and loves it. I have a MacBook that serves me well but I miss the new technology. I am seriously thinking about the plan you propose. So keep us posted. I think your plan makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like

I followed Jeremy's lead, and am in the process of moving in the direction you have stated.

My 2008 MacBook Pro is in the same situation as yours. Rather than ask the church to replace it, I requested an iPad, and the decision was made to purchase one for me and one for each member of the pastoral staff as the need arose. We have purchased two so far.

My laptop now stays on my desk. I use it for writing, sermon prep. My iPad goes with me everywhere else. I have the same keyboard as Jeremy, and love it. I use Evernote to synch between the computer and iPad. In fact, I am considering canceling my smartphone and the data plan with it, as I have my iPad with me everywhere.
    "Fully embracing the Gospel, fully engaging the world"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schutz View Post
    In fact, I am considering canceling my smartphone and the data plan with it, as I have my iPad with me everywhere.
    That's my next decision: do I get the iPad with or without 4G/LTE. If the iPad is replacing my laptop, then I'm used to only using that where there's wifi. But there's a part of me that wants to spend the extra $130 "just in case" there's a time when I need it -- I'm traveling, etc. Since I'm not bound to a contract, I could just pay the $20 to get 1 GB of data when I need it. The initial $130 is just over $10/month spread out over a year... and I'll probably keep the iPad a lot longer than a year.

Anyway, since I don't plan to get rid of my iPhone (in fact, I plan to upgrade from the 4 to whatever's next), it makes me think I should just get the WiFi iPad, since I can use my phone for those tasks that require the internet when I'm between WiFi.

Hmmm... and since I'll probably be switching to Verizon when I upgrade to the next iPhone, I could just pay them $20/month for the personal hotspot feature when I need it. Or is it not that easy to switch that feature on and off? Hmmm.... I'll have to do some more investigating...

Post Thanks / Like

Are you planning on getting an iPad 3?

From what I'm hearing the iPad 3's have a better display, but with it comes reduced battery life and more heat. Just thinking out loud, I'm wondering if an iPad 2 would be both cheaper and better?
    -Jim

To know and to serve God, of course, is why we're here, a clear truth, that, like the nose on your face, is near at hand and easily discernible but can make you dizzy if you try to focus on it hard. But a little faith will see you through.

Garrison Keillor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Chabot View Post
    Are you planning on getting an iPad 3?
    Yes, I'm planning on getting the new iPad. I've used my wife's iPad 2, and I like it, but when I looked at the new one next to it at Best Buy the other day, I'd much rather have the newer, nicer screen. Text looks SO much better. Plus it has a faster processor, better cameras, etc.

From what I'm hearing the iPad 3's have a better display, but with it comes reduced battery life and more heat. Just thinking out loud, I'm wondering if an iPad 2 would be both cheaper and better?
    From what I've read, the heat thing isn't a major issue (only slightly hotter than iPad 2, and not all the time), and the battery life is about the same as iPad 2 if you use it at the default brightness level. The iPad 2 lasts longer if you run them both at 100% brightness, due to the improvements in the new iPad's screen (brighter, more pixels).

An iPad 2 would definitely be cheaper (by $100), but the improved screen and other specs are worth $100 to me.
    Thanks Jim Chabot, David Morris - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Schmidt View Post
    Yes, I'm planning on getting the new iPad. I've used my wife's iPad 2, and I like it, but when I looked at the new one next to it at Best Buy the other day, I'd much rather have the newer, nicer screen. Text looks SO much better. Plus it has a faster processor, better cameras, etc.

From what I've read, the heat thing isn't a major issue (only slightly hotter than iPad 2, and not all the time), and the battery life is about the same as iPad 2 if you use it at the default brightness level. The iPad 2 lasts longer if you run them both at 100% brightness, due to the improvements in the new iPad's screen (brighter, more pixels).

An iPad 2 would definitely be cheaper (by $100), but the improved screen and other specs are worth $100 to me.
    Thanks, I didn't realize that there was a battery life workaround, either that or the reviewers that I read had the display cranked all the way up. I'm always on high alert over battery life, so far no complaints at all, the battery life is absolutely amazing compared to a laptop.

Then again, I haven't found anything really to complain about with apple products yet. Any idea why that would be?
    -Jim

To know and to serve God, of course, is why we're here, a clear truth, that, like the nose on your face, is near at hand and easily discernible but can make you dizzy if you try to focus on it hard. But a little faith will see you through.

Garrison Keillor

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I didn't realize that there was a battery life workaround, either that or the reviewers that I read had the display cranked all the way up. I'm always on high alert over battery life, so far no complaints at all, the battery life is absolutely amazing compared to a laptop.

Then again, I haven't found anything really to complain about with apple products yet. Any idea why that would be?
    I hadn't realized there was a battery issue at all, until I had to Google it to figure out what you were talking about. None of the reviews I'd read mentioned it at all, except to say that Apple pulled off an amazing feat keeping the battery life comparable to the iPad 2 with the massive screen upgrade and 4G/LTE. Once I'd googled it, I found a few reviews saying that if you turn brightness up all the way, the battery life suffers more on the new iPad than it did on the iPad 2.

I'm not sure I'd call it a "workaround" when all it involves is leaving the brightness level where it was when you got it.

I'm glad you brought this up, though, because I wouldn't have known just how much the brightness level affects battery life. I sometimes have mine cranked way up on my iPhone 4. Those are probably the days when I wonder why the battery seems to be draining faster than usual.
    Thanks Jim Chabot - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I hadn't realized there was a battery issue at all, until I had to Google it to figure out what you were talking about. None of the reviews I'd read mentioned it at all, except to say that Apple pulled off an amazing feat keeping the battery life comparable to the iPad 2 with the massive screen upgrade and 4G/LTE. Once I'd googled it, I found a few reviews saying that if you turn brightness up all the way, the battery life suffers more on the new iPad than it did on the iPad 2.
    I know that your a pretty thorough kind of guy, just thought I would mention it in case you hadn't heard about it. Glad to hear that the "3" actually is an improvement. Not that I'm going to upgrade, I'm pretty happy with my purchases so far.

Although, I do have an HP touchscreen PC that I bought back before my "enlightenment" and I've been thinking about replacing it with an iMac. Then I got thinking about maybe a dual or triple display mac pro to replace my aging IBM Intellistation, and I'm still thinking.

I'm not sure I'd call it a "workaround" when all it involves is leaving the brightness level where it was when you got it.
    Fair enough, I wasn't sure what to call it.

I'm glad you brought this up, though, because I wouldn't have known just how much the brightness level affects battery life. I sometimes have mine cranked way up on my iPhone 4. Those are probably the days when I wonder why the battery seems to be draining faster than usual.
    I went through this with my droid phone. It was fine when I got it, then it started draining the battery pretty quick after the first upgrade. An hour or so on the net researching settings and battery life and it's back to where I can get two days out it in case I'm away and forget to bring a charger.
    -Jim

Garrison Keillor

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I walked into a Verizon store today and traded in my smartphone for a very basic phone with no data plan. It will save me monthly charges, and I will be able to access my email on my iPad.

Based on the response from the customer service folks, you would have thought I was taking a monastic vow of silence. Not something they see every day, and certainly not something they want to see.
    Thanks David Morris, Kevin Rector - "thanks" for this post

Assistant Site Administrator/Forum Host Jon Twitchell's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

What do iPad data bills typically run? (email, facebook, file transfer, basic web-browsing... probably not significant video (I assume that I can put an iPad in wifi mode if I don't want to use the data plan?))

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Twitchell View Post
    What do iPad data bills typically run? (email, facebook, file transfer, basic web-browsing... probably not significant video (I assume that I can put an iPad in wifi mode if I don't want to use the data plan?))
    The data plan I have with Verizon is $20/month. Most of the time I have my iPad on wifi.
    During the few months I have had my iPad the only place I have had any trouble is on the campus of ENC. Their guest wifi is slow, and Verizon service on campus is spotty at best.

Post Thanks / Like

The church's early-2008 15" MacBook Pro is starting to need replaced for my day-to-day usage. The battery's almost completely shot, I never upgraded the OS past 10.5 Leopard, and frankly I'm getting a little tired of lugging it around.

Anyway, while I'd love a new laptop, I'm thinking that instead I'll go with the new iPad and a 21.5" iMac. I'll probably buy the iPad now and then get the iMac after they refresh the line later this year sometime. Combined, they cost about the same as what I'd spend buying a new MacBook Pro.

The thought is that the iMac can stay at the church (to be used with ProPresenter on Sundays and in the office during the week), and I can use the iPad everywhere I go during the week. I plan to get one of the remote desktop apps for the iPad so that I can connect to the iMac remotely if I need to dip into an OS X app on the go or grab a file I don't have in Dropbox, etc. I already own Apple's bluetooth keyboard, and I plan to have that in my bag along with the iPad, in case I need to do some extended typing while I'm at home or in a coffeeshop or wherever.

On a recent trip with some other pastors, I saw one using his iPad + keyboard to do some sermon work on an airplane, and I think that finally convinced me to take the plunge.

Are any of you doing something like this? How do you like it?
    Rich,
    I'm sure you've seen this portion from MacRumors, but wanted to link to it in case you hadn't. It offers a guide, based on announcements/speculation/rumors, for the best time to purchase a specific Apple product. You are correct that the day is nearing for the best time to purchase an iMac, as Apple is about to refresh the product line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Morris View Post
    Rich,
    I'm sure you've seen this portion from MacRumors, but wanted to link to it in case you hadn't. It offers a guide, based on announcements/speculation/rumors, for the best time to purchase a specific Apple product. You are correct that the day is nearing for the best time to purchase an iMac, as Apple is about to refresh the product line.
    Yep, but thanks for the link, in case I forget it later.

Post Thanks / Like

Just FYI: I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a new iPad (3) - black, 32 GB, wifi-only. It just arrived today. I'm typing this on it right now.

Whenever the iMacs get refreshed later this year, I hope to get one for the church.

+ Reply to Thread