+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Audio Recorder

Assistant Site Administrator/Forum Host Jon Twitchell's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Audio Recorder

I know that many of you probably record directly into your PC/laptop/Mac/whatever.

However, I also know that not every church has plenty of space available for a full a/v and computer area. And a variety of options may be needed in places where the sound system is less than ideal.

For years, I've been using an old iRiver (iFP-895) mp3 player that also happened to have a 1/8" line-in jack on it. I may have used it as an mp3 player once or twice, and since then it has been dedicated to audio recording from my sound system. It has 512mb of onboard memory, and will record about 3.5 hours (at the settings I'm using).

The problem is that I can't get updated drivers for it, so I have this old computer that sits behind my desk... and I turn it on every week... simply to pull the audio recording off the iRiver, and transfer it to the new computer.

Anyway... all of this to say that I had recently started considering other options, and had narrowed it down to a line of Tascam recorders or a line of Zoom recorders. This is not a balanced review, because I haven't had a chance to test out the Tascam recorders.

However, the two young men who have been attending our church (and helping me get the podcast caught up!) have a Zoom H4N which they loaned me to check out.

I took it to church today and set it up next to our sound system, experimenting with the various settings, and adjusting the sound system aux-out levels to work well with it.

What a GREAT little recorder! It has two onboard mics (which are remarkably rugged), a 1/8" stereo miniplug, and two combo inputs (XLR or 1/4"). You can record JUST from the onboard mics, JUST from the miniplug, JUST from the combo inputs... OR you can combine the onboard mics with the combo inputs for a four-channel recording.

You could set this up close to the podium and simply use the onboard mics.
    You could hardwire it to your system and adjust the auxiliary send.
    You could setup a couple of microphones that DON'T go into your system, but just into the recorder.

Or... you could do what I think we will do... which is to record the AUX send (which will isolate the podium mic), and then use the onboard mics to pick up a little ambient noise... particularly if the sermon is at all interactive. They'll be able to mix those two feeds in post production... and it will work well.

The unit comes with an AC adapter... or you can use AA batteries.
    It also has a tripod socket in the bottom... so you can attach it to a tripod or even a camera shoe (if you're doing DSLR video). OR... it comes with a handy little adapter that you screw on, and then it goes into a standard microphone stand.

It has a 2GB SD card for about 10 hours of recording... and it will take up to 32GB.
    You could take it on the road as a fully portable recording system... or connect it to your system as a fairly permanent installation.

I didn't try it, but I understand that musicians could use it as a small 4-track recorder... or use the 4CH mode to record vocals and instruments all on their separate tracks for mixing in post production. It also has a built-in metronome and tuner. It also has a headphone jack and large LCD meter, so you can monitor what you're recording.

Anyway... I realize that the pricetag is a little steep... but there are other recorders in the zoom line which are cheaper. The Tascam line is also competitive.

You might consider this INSTEAD of a dedicated computer to do your recording--particularly since it's quite portable... and can function in situations where you might not want to bring your entire sound system.
    Grace and Peace,

Jon Twitchell

Cape Elizabeth Church of the Nazarene | YourChurchWeb.net | YourChurchPianist.net | FuneralChaplain.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Audio Recorder

I have discovered this with my mp3 player. It is not as advanced as your new one but it does the jobs I need it to do.
    Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. 1 John 3:18

There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. 1 John 4:18a

Become an organ donor ~ donatelife.net ~ www.organdonor.gov

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Twitchell View Post
    Anyway... I realize that the pricetag is a little steep... but there are other recorders in the zoom line which are cheaper. The Tascam line is also competitive.

You might consider this INSTEAD of a dedicated computer to do your recording--particularly since it's quite portable... and can function in situations where you might not want to bring your entire sound system.
    I was going to post to this a while back and got side tracked.

I was waffling between one of these and an iphone app. Turns out iphones are not the best choice for a host of reasons. I ended up with a Tascam DR40

I have found that this unit is similar to the H4N, but $100 less. The two things that would be important to most ministries is the XLR/ 1/4" inputs, and the fact that it uses full size SD cards. The DR40 is the least expensive tascam to offer that.

Just about any of these recorders will have great quality recording direct from a sound board, the more expensive units have better onboard mics.

An other consideration is that you may get a better result using the onboard mics and recording that way- it depends on your sound system, and operators.
    http://www.steeplesound.com
    Macungie Church of the Nazarene
    Thanks Doug Kitchen, Jon Twitchell, Michael Flowers - "thanks" for this post

Assistant Site Administrator/Forum Host Jon Twitchell's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

The guy at Guitar Center was nudging me toward the Tascam... I suspect mostly because of price.

However, the Zoom that is on loan to us has an even more attractive price point! And it comes with a couple of volunteers... and human resources are even more valuable than electronic resources!

Thanks for your thoughts on the Tascam... If I find myself needing to buy one, I'll be sure to give it a close look.

Post Thanks / Like

We actually use the same computer we do media shout on to do our recording. We use audacity (free pro tools like program - runs on win, mac, and linux) and just run a line out from our sound board to the line in on the comp. It works great for us...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Hooker View Post
    We actually use the same computer we do media shout on to do our recording. We use audacity (free pro tools like program - runs on win, mac, and linux) and just run a line out from our sound board to the line in on the comp. It works great for us...
    That can work well too, but but these little units will actually provide a better capture (better pre-amps/dynamic range ect). In addition I advise churchs not to record on the same computer they are projecting from, it is not that it can not be done, just that it can be difficult keeping an eye on both.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are my results from this week with the DR-40

Post Thanks / Like

I second that recommendation for the Zoom. Fantastic and brilliant piece of machinery!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Nuffer View Post
    I second that recommendation for the Zoom. Fantastic and brilliant piece of machinery!
    Zoom is an interesting company. Before these hand held recorders came along they basically made crappy guitar FX pedals. They sort of invented this type of recorder, and it was their most successful product. Zoom is owned by Sampson (within pro audio is considered junk). So although the Zoom works great I would prefer a brand with a little more pro audio "street cred" at a lower price like Tascam or Marantz.

The thing the zoom and some of the others have that really don't do much for how churches use them is gimmicky stuff like fx, multi tracking, ect.. Churches want a reliable tool to capture an audio track, and truth be told all of these name brand units will do that pretty well. As I mentioned for me the most important thing for me was connectivity, and I wanted to avoid 3.5mm type adapters.

+ Reply to Thread