+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Avengers (2012)

Post Thanks / Like

The Avengers (2012)

I am starting since it will be out in a month. I am glad to see the addition of The Hulk in a controlled state. I have been waiting for them to get him more controlled. Since over the course of his comics he has been able to control himself more and more.

"Means we use must be as pure as the ends we seek."
    Thanks Ryan Scott - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Avengers (2012)

Its already opened here in the Philippines, but we havn't had a chance to see it. Its dominating all the screens. The top movie house in town has 8 theaters and 7 of them are showing the Avengers some digital, some 3d some regular at variable pricing. hope to take the kids soon.
    "And as we pass the collection plate, please give as if the person next to you was watching."
    -Rev. Lovejoy

Post Thanks / Like

I have a ticket to a midnight showing this Friday morning. The movie that I am really looking forward to this year is The Hobbit, but as it does not come out until December, I'm ok "slumming it" with The Avengers, The Dark Knight Rises, and maybe The Amazing Spiderman. (Oh, and I saw The Hunger Games for the third time on Sunday evening; this time in IMAX.)
    If I speak God’s Word with power, revealing all his mysteries and making everything plain as day, and if I have faith that says to a mountain, “Jump,” and it jumps, but I don’t love, I’m nothing.
    Paul, 1 Corinthians 13:2

So when the gospel is diminished to a question of whether or not a person will “get into heaven,” that reduces the good news to a ticket, a way to get past the bouncer and into the club. The good news is better than that.
    Rob Bell, Love Wins
    Laughing Jeremy D. Scott - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say that my favorite seen in the movie was when the older German man stood up to Loki. There was just something about that scene that stands out to me.
    Thanks Lucas Finch, Cam Pence, Greg Crofford - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

So far all my fb friends that have seen it love it.
    Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. 1 John 3:18

There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. 1 John 4:18a

Become an organ donor ~ donatelife.net ~ www.organdonor.gov

Dan Henderson

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Burton View Post
    I have to say that my favorite seen in the movie was when the older German man stood up to Loki. There was just something about that scene that stands out to me.
    It conveyed holocaust survivor to me.

The movie was well done. My whole family enjoyed it.
    Thanks Cam Pence - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Henderson View Post
    It conveyed holocaust survivor to me.

The movie was well done. My whole family enjoyed it.
    I agree that that that is what was supposed to be conveyed, especially given Captain America saying something along the lines of "Last time I was in Germany and saw a man stand over people, we didn't agree." immediately after saving that gentleman. I thought the movie was very well done and converged all of the previous movies well. It made for a good date night
    "Love without holiness disintegrates into sentimentality. Personal integrity is lost. But holiness without love is not holiness at all. In spite of its label, it displays harshness, judgmentalism, a critical spirit, and all its capacity for discrimination end in nit-picking and divisiveness."-Mildred Bangs Wynkoop

Post Thanks / Like

My son and I were able to convince my wife to see it with us, and even she enjoyed it.
    "Fully embracing the Gospel, fully engaging the world"

Assistant Site Administrator/Forum Host Jon Twitchell's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

How important is it to have seen all of the various "prequels"??

For that matter... what ARE all of the various "prequels"??
    Grace and Peace,

Jon Twitchell

Cape Elizabeth Church of the Nazarene | YourChurchWeb.net | YourChurchPianist.net | FuneralChaplain.com
    Thanks Susan Unger, Jeremy D. Scott - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America, and The Incredible Hulk. They all tie together, and into The Avengers, but they are not really sequels and prequels. Each movie (or put better, each movie series, as there are already two Iron Mans, with a third one green lit, along with Thor 2 and Captain America 2 also green lit) can stand alone, including The Avengers. I think that everything in The Avengers gels better having seen the rest, but I think that it can be viewed independently, too.
    If I speak God’s Word with power, revealing all his mysteries and making everything plain as day, and if I have faith that says to a mountain, “Jump,” and it jumps, but I don’t love, I’m nothing.

So when the gospel is diminished to a question of whether or not a person will “get into heaven,” that reduces the good news to a ticket, a way to get past the bouncer and into the club. The good news is better than that.
    Rob Bell, Love Wins
    Thanks Jon Twitchell - "thanks" for this post

Host Book, Movie & CE forums Ryan Scott's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't seen it. Can figure out when I'll have the time.

But I do like things that break records. It's fun to look at all the stats. While The Avengers was not the highest grossing single day release, it did obliterate the record for weekend gross (first movie ever over $175m - and also $200m).

Through four days its even blowing away The Dark Knight which set (supposedly) unbeatable records for the first week of release.

This success combined with nearly 52 foreign countries already showing the film, it's topped $600m worldwide in about ten days. Unreal.
    ...just my $.02.
    Thanks Lucas Finch - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest staying till the end of the credits.
    Thanks Lucas Finch, Dale Cozby - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest staying till the end of the credits.
    The very end. Not just the end of the actor credits.

It amazes me how many people still stand up and start leaving the theater as soon as the credits begin. You'd think people would have learned by now that these Marvel movies always have more.

Rob Bell, Love Wins

Host CE and Gen. Disc. forums David Parker's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

This film shined on so many different levels. I think it was brilliant.

As to prequels, you need to at least see Thor and one of the Ironman films.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Though we cannot think alike, may we not love alike? May we not be of one heart, though we are not of one opinion? Without all doubt, we may." ~ John Wesley

Glorified Member

Post Thanks / Like

I actually watched this movie in IMAX3d and enjoyed it alot. It has much humor too. I loved the part with the bad guy dialoguing with the Hulk and what happened.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Charlotte asked one of her friends what was said. Because our crowd was to busy laughing.

Post Thanks / Like

The 2008 Incredible Hulk? Edward Norton & Liv Tyler?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Twitchell View Post
    The 2008 Incredible Hulk? Edward Norton & Liv Tyler?
    That would be the Hulk with the Tony Stark connection.

Post Thanks / Like

That would be the Hulk with the Tony Stark connection.
    I'm sorry... your response doesn't mean anything to me.

Maybe my question didn't mean anything to you...

I'm wondering which of the Hulk movies I should see.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Twitchell View Post
    I'm sorry... your response doesn't mean anything to me.

Maybe my question didn't mean anything to you...

I'm wondering which of the Hulk movies I should see.
    the Ed Norton Hulk. avoid the Eric Bana Hulk like the plague
    "Love without holiness disintegrates into sentimentality. Personal integrity is lost. But holiness without love is not holiness at all. In spite of its label, it displays harshness, judgmentalism, a critical spirit, and all its capacity for discrimination end in nit-picking and divisiveness."-Mildred Bangs Wynkoop
    Laughing Lucas Finch - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the Ed Norton movie is The Incredible Hulk, which is the one that takes place in the Marvel Cinema Universe. The other one is The Hulk, which Marvel views as being a one shot movie in an alternate reality. Oh, and Tony Stark is Iron Man. He has a cameo at the end of the Norton movie. All five of the pre-Avengers movies have characters that cross over or make cameo appearances in the others, thus helping to tie them all together.

Rob Bell, Love Wins

Post Thanks / Like

Saw the Avengers last week with the Kids (teeners) . We all loved it. we saw it in 4d (you know the chairs that rumble and shake in addition to the glasses). Loved it. My viewings of Capt America and Thor really helped with this movie. Special effects are AWESOME ..the last 1/2 hour i was glued to my shaking seat. Very cool. The story line too was well done.

We paid about $6.50 per seat. What is the price in US theaters these days for the equivalent?
    "And as we pass the collection plate, please give as if the person next to you was watching."
    -Rev. Lovejoy

Post Thanks / Like

I really liked the sound track too and went home and looked up Live to Rise: Nice sound. I had never heard of the group before but now I have.
    -Rev. Lovejoy

Host Book, Movie & CE forums Ryan Scott's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Moseley View Post
    Saw the Avengers last week with the Kids (teeners) . We all loved it. we saw it in 4d (you know the chairs that rumble and shake in addition to the glasses). Loved it. My viewings of Capt America and Thor really helped with this movie. Special effects are AWESOME ..the last 1/2 hour i was glued to my shaking seat. Very cool. The story line too was well done.

We paid about $6.50 per seat. What is the price in US theaters these days for the equivalent?

I'm not sure I know of a theatre that has shaking seats - but a 3D movie in the States is probably about twice that price these days.
    ...just my $.02.
    Thanks Scott Moseley - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Moseley View Post

The "local" theater (I live in a town of about 700 people, so there is no local theater, but the nearby town of 5000 has one) charges $9.50 for 3D, which is the cheapest 3D charge in Montana. (It is also supposedly the only Montana theater that has Dolby 3D, which comes with much better glasses than most 3D movies.) Most Montana theaters charge $11.50 or more for 3D. Our local theater's regular movie fee is $7.00, which is also on the low end for the region. I do not know of any 4D theaters in the area. I few weeks ago I was out in Nampa for some regional NYI council meetings (and a conference), and on a free night I went to The Hunger Games at the IMAX theater in Boise, which charged $15.00 (I think).

Rob Bell, Love Wins
    Thanks Scott Moseley - "thanks" for this post

Dan Henderson

I would not like to see a movie like Alien in 4d, imagine getting slimed.
    Laughing Scott Moseley, Lucas Finch, Michael Flowers - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cam Pence View Post
    I agree that that that is what was supposed to be conveyed, especially given Captain America saying something along the lines of "Last time I was in Germany and saw a man stand over people, we didn't agree." immediately after saving that gentleman. I thought the movie was very well done and converged all of the previous movies well. It made for a good date night
    My favorite Captain America line was "There's only one God ma'am, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't dress like that".

Thor is my favorite characters in the Avengers, but that was my favorite one-liner of the film.
    Thanks Steven Burton, David Parker - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, I'm in total agreement! That scene is a remedy to group-think wherever it happens.
    Let's not just make Christlike disciples. Let's make Christlike disciples who change the world.

Visit my theology weblog at: gregorycrofford.com
    Amazon author page: https://amazon.com/author/jgregorycrofford
    Facebook: Greg Crofford
    Twitter: @africasojourner

+ Reply to Thread