+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Original Blessing

Post Thanks / Like

Original Blessing

I received as a gift the book Original Blessing: A Primer in Creation Spirituality Presented in Four Paths, Twenty-Six Themes, and Two Questions by Matthew Fox, originally published in 1983. The title comes from an emphasis on original good rather than original sin. (Not a denial of original sin as some have painted the author's views, but a plea for less emphasis on sin and more on blessing.) I am finding it quite thought-provoking.

No, that's not quite right.

Thought provoking means I read it and think, "Hmm... that's interesting."

I'm finding the book well beyond thought-provoking. This is a book that is being worked into the heart of the lessons God has been teaching me. I read it and think, "Yes, that is exactly what I need for the next step of my journey in this area!"

Some of it goes over my head. I find some of it to be laying out battle lines for a war I'm not fighting. (For example, no Christianity I have been taught has precluded concern for creation. Although I see merit in the view the author presents, I don't need a modification of my current views in order to care deeply about the world around me.) Some of it requires prerequisite experiences I haven't had. (For example, there is some Meditation 501 stuff in there and I have yet to get serious about Meditation 101.) But there is much within the pages that echoes and adds to the lessons God has already been teaching me.

I have read through two of the four paths -- the Via Positiva and Via Negativa -- and am starting the third -- the Via Creativa. I am anticipating what is to come. (The fourth path is the Via Transformativa.)

Have any of you encountered this book? If so, what do you think of it? The Catholic church has deemed the author's theology far enough from orthodoxy to relieve him of his position as a priest. (He is now Episcopalian.)

Like I said, I'm not comprehending all of what he's saying on this first time through, but the part I do understand and that echoes what I am encountering from other sources, including the Bible, has been valuable to me.

Any opinions? Interest in discussing it?

Marsha
    A significant contribution to salvation that is made by Jesus' crucifixion is his invitation to be courageous enough to create. And to pay the price. And to believe that the many crucifixions involved do not add up to even one resurrection. -- Matthew Fox, Original Blessing

personal blog: www.marshalyn.blogspot.com Sunday School blog: www.ocnya.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Original Blessing

Quote Originally Posted by Marsha Lynn View Post
    I received as a gift the book Original Blessing: A Primer in Creation Spirituality Presented in Four Paths, Twenty-Six Themes, and Two Questions by Matthew Fox, originally published in 1983....

Have any of you encountered this book? If so, what do you think of it? ...

24 hours with no response. I guess not many have heard of the book. I'll try to do a review over on the book review forum when I finish it. Apparently, it has made waves in some places over the years, but this isn't one of them.

Marsha
    A significant contribution to salvation that is made by Jesus' crucifixion is his invitation to be courageous enough to create. And to pay the price. And to believe that the many crucifixions involved do not add up to even one resurrection. -- Matthew Fox, Original Blessing

personal blog: www.marshalyn.blogspot.com Sunday School blog: www.ocnya.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marsha Lynn View Post
    I received as a gift the book Original Blessing: A Primer in Creation Spirituality Presented in Four Paths, Twenty-Six Themes, and Two Questions by Matthew Fox, originally published in 1983. The title comes from an emphasis on original good rather than original sin. (Not a denial of original sin as some have painted the author's views, but a plea for less emphasis on sin and more on blessing.) I am finding it quite thought-provoking.

No, that's not quite right.

Thought provoking means I read it and think, "Hmm... that's interesting."

I'm finding the book well beyond thought-provoking. This is a book that is being worked into the heart of the lessons God has been teaching me. I read it and think, "Yes, that is exactly what I need for the next step of my journey in this area!"

Some of it goes over my head. I find some of it to be laying out battle lines for a war I'm not fighting. (For example, no Christianity I have been taught has precluded concern for creation. Although I see merit in the view the author presents, I don't need a modification of my current views in order to care deeply about the world around me.) Some of it requires prerequisite experiences I haven't had. (For example, there is some Meditation 501 stuff in there and I have yet to get serious about Meditation 101.) But there is much within the pages that echoes and adds to the lessons God has already been teaching me.

I have read through two of the four paths -- the Via Positiva and Via Negativa -- and am starting the third -- the Via Creativa. I am anticipating what is to come. (The fourth path is the Via Transformativa.)

Have any of you encountered this book? If so, what do you think of it? The Catholic church has deemed the author's theology far enough from orthodoxy to relieve him of his position as a priest. (He is now Episcopalian.)

Like I said, I'm not comprehending all of what he's saying on this first time through, but the part I do understand and that echoes what I am encountering from other sources, including the Bible, has been valuable to me.

Marsha

Ok you have piqued my interest. But if parts are going over your head, I do not stand a chance
    You can be right or you can be in relationship
    Thanks Marsha Lynn - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

What Paul said...
    Thanks Paul DeBaufer - "thanks" for this post

Host Fun & Prayer forums Gina Stevenson's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Marsha, followed your link, then got caught up in reading reviews of his other books, too, so did not get back here. Interesting.
    Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one. ~ Stella Adler
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    It takes a great deal of maturity to accept that trying to eliminate all risk eliminates life. ~ Susan Lapin ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    His anger lasts only a moment, but His favor lasts a lifetime! Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning. Psalm 30:5 (NLT)

+ Reply to Thread