+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Did Jesus acknowledge ghosts?

Host Theology Forum Dennis M. Scott's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Did Jesus acknowledge ghosts?

Luke 24: 36b - 48
    Jesus appeared to the disciples, but they thought they were seeing a ghost. Other translations say "spirit", but they thought they were seeing one anyway. Jesus asks them if a spirit has a body like he does.

I wonder why he didn't say something like, "There's no such thing as a ghost (spirit)." Instead, he seems to admit they exist, but he's not like one.

What do you think about this passage. Did Jesus embrace a concept most of us don't? Should we change?
    Last edited by Dennis M. Scott; April 20th, 2012 at 09:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Did Jesus acknowledge ghosts?

I'm not sure why most wouldn't embrace this concept. One can't very far when reading before we encounter non human entities. There are angels, demons, familiar spirits, and unclean spirits. While we have very little specific understanding, I think that we can reasonably affirm that spirits do exist.
    -Jim

To know and to serve God, of course, is why we're here, a clear truth, that, like the nose on your face, is near at hand and easily discernible but can make you dizzy if you try to focus on it hard. But a little faith will see you through.

Garrison Keillor
    Thanks Dennis M. Scott, David Graham - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well given that time and the influence that Hellenism seemed to have had on certain parts of that world would not be surprised if they had some concept of ghost like we do today.
    "Means we use must be as pure as the ends we seek."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis M. Scott View Post
    Jesus appeared to the disciples, but they thought they were seing a ghost. Other translations say "spirit", but they thought they were seing one anyway. Jesus asks them if a spirit has a body like he does.

I wonder why he didn't say something like, "There's no such thing as a ghost (spirit)." Instead, he seems to admit they exist, but he's not like one.

What do you think about this passage. Did Jesus embrace a concept most of us don't? Should we change?
    If a guy is walking down the street at high noon on a sunny day and my daughter says to me, "I think that guy is a vampire," I might reply, "Can vampires walk around in the sunlight?"*

My saying that, does not mean that I believe vampires exist.

Jesus talking about a ghost in this context doesn't mean he believes that ghosts exist.

Wilson

*And nobody better start with me over those stupid Twilight so-called vampires who do walk around in sunlight.
    "But by the grace of God I am what I am." (1 Cor. 15:10)
    Thanks Marsha Lynn, Dennis M. Scott, Paul DeBaufer - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson Deaton View Post
    If a guy is walking down the street at high noon on a sunny day and my daughter says to me, "I think that guy is a vampire," I might reply, "Can vampires walk around in the sunlight?"*

My saying that, does not mean that I believe vampires exist.

Jesus talking about a ghost in this context doesn't mean he believes that ghosts exist.

Wilson

*And nobody better start with me over those stupid Twilight so-called vampires who do walk around in sunlight.
    That's way more than I know about vampires. Ghosts and vampires: I've got a lot to learn.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you have gone too far with this passage. If I was communicating to a modern audience, I might say, I am much easier to listen to than the ghost of Christmas future. A comment like that would not be a statement on the reality of ghosts, but a familiar character that everyone can relate to. This is also why Paul can talk about a "third heaven" without actually making a statement about an actual place, somehow separate from the traditional heaven. He is using language that is understood by an audience.
    On second thought, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place.
    Thanks Dennis M. Scott - "thanks" for this post

Senior Member Marian Schwaller Carney's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

This brings to mind the part where the saints of old who were raised when Jesus died go for a stroll in town after his resurrection. What were they? Ghosts, spirits, or glorified bodies? Where did they go once they were done with their walk? Back to their tombs, one might first think, but that does not make sense if they were glorified bodies. So maybe Jesus is good with ghosts.
    Thanks Jim Chabot, Dennis M. Scott - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

When Jesus appeared to the disciples after the resurrection he had to assure them that he was not a ghost. So to answer your question, it does appear that Jesus did believe in ghosts/spirits. Now what exactly he thought/believed about them is not known from Scripture.
    Thanks Jim Chabot, Dennis M. Scott - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Flowers View Post
    When Jesus appeared to the disciples after the resurrection he had to assure them that he was not a ghost. So to answer your question, it does appear that Jesus did believe in ghosts/spirits.
    That only indicates that, apparently, the disciples believed in ghosts.

Wilson
    "But by the grace of God I am what I am." (1 Cor. 15:10)
    Thanks Paul DeBaufer, Dennis M. Scott - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson Deaton View Post
    That only indicates that, apparently, the disciples believed in ghosts.

Wilson
    True, I should probably not have been posting at that time. I probably stretched that much farther than I should have. Oops.
    Laughing Dennis M. Scott - thanks for this funny post

Host Photography Forum Dana Grant's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about any of that, but Johnathan Frid died this past week. He was 87. Vampires do age, I suppose.
    Thanks Dennis M. Scott, Wilson Deaton - "thanks" for this post
    Laughing Jim Chabot, Gina Stevenson - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

Jesus appeared to the disciples, but they thought they were seing a ghost. Other translations say "spirit", but they thought they were seing one anyway. Jesus asks them if a spirit has a body like he does.

I believe I am spirit housed in the tent of the body. I believe in spirits. I just don't think after the life of the body they are allowed to run around loose. Heaven or that prison place commonly referred to as hell would be the location of those the world states are dead.

I do believe there are fallen angels (demons) that are loose in the world.

So the apostles must believe something existed after the life of the body. (not vampires)
    "The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?"
    (Psalms 27:1)
    Thanks Dennis M. Scott, Jim Chabot - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I suppose this could fall into the category of "signs, wonders & miracles" that most of us today don't experience regularly - although if they were a regular part of our lives, by definition they wouldn't especially be wonders or miracles. Maybe for Wesleyans they could be "uncomfortable surprises."

For whatever reason, Jesus did not take this opportunity to modify their thinking about ghosts (spirits).

Post Thanks / Like

For whatever reason, Jesus did not take this opportunity to modify their thinking about ghosts (spirits).
    Jesus did address their doubts and fears. He even had to eat something in front of them. Yes even the mighty apostles had to learn He Has Risen!

Other discussions amoung the disciples.
    15 “Be careful,” Jesus warned them. “Watch out for the yeast of the Pharisees and that of Herod.”

16 They discussed this with one another and said, “It is because we have no bread.” 17 Aware of their discussion, Jesus asked them: “Why are you talking about having no bread?

As they were coming down the mountain, Jesus gave them orders not to tell anyone what they had seen until the Son of Man had risen from the dead. 10 They kept the matter to themselves, discussing what “rising from the dead” meant.
    "The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?"
    Thanks Dennis M. Scott - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Wise View Post
    They kept the matter to themselves, discussing what “rising from the dead” meant.
    Seems strange to us that they were discussing this, but in those cases where Jesus had raised people from the dead, it was different. It also may mean that they were even revisiting those cases, to discover what all this meant. In spite of two thousand years of talking and preaching about it, we, too, would likely what to talk it out.
    Thanks Michael Flowers - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Seems strange to us that they were discussing this, but in those cases where Jesus had raised people from the dead, it was different. It also may mean that they were even revisiting those cases, to discover what all this meant. In spite of two thousand years of talking and preaching about it, we, too, would likely what to talk it out.

It doesn't seem strange to me but they had a big advantage. Such as "Lord what do you mean by raised from the dead?" and a disadvantge (No complete written testimony) Why discuss what you don't understand with others who don't understand when you can ask a Jesus standing in front of you for clarification?

Its a mixture of great faith (they left everything to follow Jesus) with a lack of faith (finally Jesus got through to them) as in "you believe at last or now do believe."

Then Jesus’ disciples said, “Now you are speaking clearly and without figures of speech. 30 Now we can see that you know all things and that you do not even need to have anyone ask you questions. This makes us believe that you came from God.”

31 “You believe at last!”[b] Jesus answered. 32 “But a time is coming, and has come, when you will be scattered, each to his own home. You will leave me all alone. Yet I am not alone, for my Father is with me. 33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

(b)Or “Do you now believe?”

Randy

+ Reply to Thread