+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ministry Transition...

Post Thanks / Like

Ministry Transition...

It was a bittersweet morning at church today, as my wife and I announced that we will be moving. Our last Sunday at (Indianapolis) Castleton will be June 24th, and we will be moving to Bourbonnais where I will be going on staff with Student Development at Olivet. Specifically, I am going to be the Resident Director of Chapman Hall, the freshmen mens dorm.

Would appreciate your prayers as we make this transition!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ministry Transition...

You'll be in my prayers as you make this transition. On the flip side of this, at least you are going to the greatest dorm and the greatest school in the Midwest! (of course I may be just slightly partial)
    Thanks David Morris - "thanks" for this post
    Laughing Susan Unger - thanks for this funny post

Site Manager G R 'Scott' Cundiff's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Wishing you the very best - I'm sure you'll have a lot of ministry opportunities there at Chapman!
    Thanks David Morris - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

David:
    I lived in Chapman Hall (Room 428) during the 1969-1970 school year. Grover Brooks was resident Director then. May you never experience an "Atomic Drop" or some of the other things we did. God bless you and have mercy on your soul!
    Seriously (well, the preceeding was serious too), I am praying for you. What a great ministry opportunity as you help dozens of guys in their struggle to find God's will for their lives.

BILL
    Olivet Class of 1973
    Thanks David Morris, Scott Sherwood - "thanks" for this post

Site Manager G R 'Scott' Cundiff's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Morrison View Post
    David:
    I lived in Chapman Hall (Room 428) during the 1969-1970 school year. Grover Brooks was resident Director then. May you never experience an "Atomic Drop" or some of the other things we did. God bless you and have mercy on your soul!
    Seriously (well, the preceeding was serious too), I am praying for you. What a great ministry opportunity as you help dozens of guys in their struggle to find God's will for their lives.

BILL
    Olivet Class of 1973
    I was in 413 the year prior.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G R 'Scott' Cundiff View Post
    As I recall: a tad closer to both the bathroom and the trash chute than my room.
    We had just two guys in my room....hope you weren't in a room that had three beds stacked on each other (though that really helped when we did the Atomic Drops!)

BILL
    Thanks Michael Flowers - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Will be praying for you David. What a great opportunity. Will you be able to do grad work for free as a staff person there? That would be such a huge blessing. I'll be on campus quite a few times a year coming up, so I hope we run into each other.

I lived in 229 my Freshman year. I remember the RD's residence/office all too well. Several $25 fines were discussed there. Evidently my mullet, my music, and my idea of a practical joke, were not universally appreciated.
    Laughing Michael Flowers, Susan Unger - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G R 'Scott' Cundiff View Post
    I'm a bit more recent but I was in 402 during the 2006-2007 year. 4th floor has quite the representation here on NazNet apparently.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Morrison View Post
    David:
    I lived in Chapman Hall (Room 428) during the 1969-1970 school year.
    I was just a short diagnol away in 429! A few years later, of course! ;-) That made my room the corner room overlooking library, quad, Hills.

I'm not just trying to be funny when I say that I chose that room largely to be as far from the RD as one could get.

Wilson
    "But by the grace of God I am what I am." (1 Cor. 15:10)
    Laughing Bill Morrison, Michael Flowers, John Kennedy - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Flowers View Post
    I'm a bit more recent but I was in 402 during the 2006-2007 year. 4th floor has quite the representation here on NazNet apparently.
    I always thought 4th floor Chapman was a hallowed floor...but if this is all it means, I don't know!
    Thanks Wilson Deaton - "thanks" for this post
    Laughing Michael Flowers, Susan Unger - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Sherwood View Post
    Will be praying for you David. What a great opportunity. Will you be able to do grad work for free as a staff person there? That would be such a huge blessing. I'll be on campus quite a few times a year coming up, so I hope we run into each other.

I lived in 229 my Freshman year. I remember the RD's residence/office all too well. Several $25 fines were discussed there. Evidently my mullet, my music, and my idea of a practical joke, were not universally appreciated.
    I take it that if, in your defense, you had suggested that someday you would be a highly-respected pastor and D.S., you would have been laughed to scorn?!
    (probably the same reaction I would have got from old Doc Strickler if I had suggested to him I would teach Botany someday at a Nazarene school)

BILL
    Thanks Scott Sherwood - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Now how do y'all remember your dorm numbers? For the life of me, I can't. I can remember the dorms [Nesbit and McClain] and I think I was on the third floor each dorm but certainly not the numbers. hmmmm....
    Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. 1 John 3:18

There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. 1 John 4:18a

Become an organ donor ~ donatelife.net ~ www.organdonor.gov

Host Fun & Prayer forums Gina Stevenson's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Unger View Post
    Now how do y'all remember your dorm numbers? For the life of me, I can't. I can remember the dorms [Nesbit and McClain] and I think I was on the third floor each dorm but certainly not the numbers. hmmmm....
    Could not tell you what rooms in McClain, or Dorm B, even tho' there were few rooms in it (B).

These guys must be among the detail-oriented/statistician type, Susan, which we seem to not be, eh?
    Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one. ~ Stella Adler
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    It takes a great deal of maturity to accept that trying to eliminate all risk eliminates life. ~ Susan Lapin ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    His anger lasts only a moment, but His favor lasts a lifetime! Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning. Psalm 30:5 (NLT)

Post Thanks / Like

I lived in 229 my Freshman year.
    Was that the corner room that overlooked the quad? Because if it was, then it was my room just a few years later.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rector View Post
    Was that the corner room that overlooked the quad? Because if it was, then it was my room just a few years later.
    229 does overlook the quad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gina Stevenson View Post
    Could not tell you what rooms in McClain, or Dorm B, even tho' there were few rooms in it (B).

These guys must be among the detail-oriented/statistician type, Susan, which we seem to not be, eh?
    Must be. Now every once in a while I will have a vague memory of my mail box number or my ID number but those come and go. Dorm numbers - just can't do it.
    Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. 1 John 3:18

There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. 1 John 4:18a

Post Thanks / Like

I lived in Chapman Hall for awhile - of course, it was the one at Bethany, but I suspect the culture was a great deal the same. This was in the late 50s and the idea of anyone having a phone in their room was unheard of. There were pay phones near the lobby and we were fond of answering them with this greeting - "This is Chapman. Who in the hall do you want?"
    Now I realize this seems pretty tame, but considering it was Bethany in the late 50's this amounted to a quantum leap in envelope pushing.
    Laughing Gina Stevenson, Susan Unger, Bill Morrison, Wes Smith - thanks for this funny post

Host Fun & Prayer forums Gina Stevenson's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Unger View Post
    Must be. Now every once in a while I will have a vague memory of my mail box number or my ID number but those come and go. Dorm numbers - just can't do it.
    Yeah, maybe b/c mail meant more than a room # sometimes, that is why I can recall a #637 in the mailbox area.
    Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one. ~ Stella Adler
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    It takes a great deal of maturity to accept that trying to eliminate all risk eliminates life. ~ Susan Lapin ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    His anger lasts only a moment, but His favor lasts a lifetime! Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning. Psalm 30:5 (NLT)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gina Stevenson View Post
    Yeah, maybe b/c mail meant more than a room # sometimes, that is why I can recall a #637 in the mailbox area.
    Exactly. I can remember where my room was located in Nesbit and senior year in McClain but not Junior year for some reason.

Post Thanks / Like

Scott, going back to school is something that I'm looking forward to. In my case, free tuition for graduate school courses wouldn't kick in until I've been on staff for 3 years. I could take undergrad classes for free as of August 1, and may do that a time or two.

One blessing is that a student from my current youth group will be a freshman next year, and he didn't believe me when I told him where I would be moving to. It appears Chapman 229 produces legends, so I may need to see if I can get him set up in there when housing sign ups happen at orientation.

It would be great to meet you. I trust we'll have a few opportunities to make that happen in the coming year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Morris View Post
    .... Specifically, I am going to be the Resident Director of Chapman Hall, the freshmen mens dorm.
    I'll be at ONU this coming Thu., Fri., Sat., for our regional NYI event, Celebrate Life.

Word came to me this evening: I'll be staying in Chapman Hall!!!

So David, perhaps, I'll see you there (at ONU, not Chapman). You're a DP, right?

And hey, Scott Sherwood and Kevin Rector, our district has been assigned second floor. I have some influence with our District Celebrate Life Director so there's a good chance I can manipulate myself into 229.

Wilson
    "But by the grace of God I am what I am." (1 Cor. 15:10)

Post Thanks / Like

I lived in Chapman hall for a while. But it was the Chapman hall at NNU (NNC at the time). Think they were all named for J.B Chapman? Our dorm was pretty old and was torn down not long after I graduated. They had the breaker boxes in the hallway so all you had to do was sneak onto another hall and flip the breakers in the middle of the night. It lead to quite a few guys showing up late for classes out of that dorm. Of course there was also the pouring of pop under the doors, the cherry bombs in the hallway, the stink bombs down the window wells, the popcorn wall, the dangerous and probably illegal water light. I did get some studying done. I think.
    Laughing Gina Stevenson, Michael Flowers, Susan Unger, John Kennedy - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Flowers View Post
    229 does overlook the quad.
    Yup, I sat a lot of hours in the window ledge and read books while I watched people walk back and forth to class/lunch/etc.

+ Reply to Thread