+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Resurrected Body

Site Manager G R 'Scott' Cundiff's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

The Resurrected Body

Today's http://reflectinggod.com/ devotional is about the resurrected body of Jesus. He could disguise himself, he could disappear from sight, he could walk through walls, he could "ascend" into the air.

Since we look forward to having bodies like his glorious body - do you think we'll be able to do the same things?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Resurrected Body

Quote Originally Posted by G R 'Scott' Cundiff View Post
    Today's http://reflectinggod.com/ devotional is about the resurrected body of Jesus. He could disguise himself, he could disappear from sight, he could walk through walls, he could "ascend" into the air.

Since we look forward to having bodies like his glorious body - do you think we'll be able to do the same things?
    I believe we will. He is the first fruit of the resurrection...he is our "older" brother...and he chose to step into human flesh (which is now resurrected human flesh) for all eternity. I believe that our old tent will be renewed one day with a reconstructed tent like his.
    "I'll give you a full life in the emptiest of places...You'll use the old rubble of past lives to build anew... You'll be known as those who can fix anything, restore old ruins, rebuild and renovate, make the community livable again." Isaiah 58:11-12 (THE MESSAGE)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvhP_xORvgE new for 2014!
    Thanks Hans Deventer, Jim Chabot - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I think so. Looks pretty cool to me!
    Love the sinner, hate the sin? Love the sinner and hate your own sin! - Tony Campolo
    Thanks Cynthia Prentice - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

You all are going to be surprised so.... que the drumroll.....

No. I don't think so. Whether Jesus really could do those things or not, I have no idea. I'm more inclined to see them as narrative developments to continue the continuity in concept that "this is God." Even more, after resurrection, this seems to be magnified. Each awesome thing that Jesus' new body can do after resurrection directly functions as a part of the narrative, whether it is the inability of those he knew to recognize him, his ability to reach them in their fear, or even his ability to return from where he'd come. Therefore, as such distinctively and deliberately narrative aids, I'm inclined to put less stock in their literalness. This just seems a prudent caution to me.

However, Paul does seem quite clear in 1 Corinthians 15 that something will be different about those bodies.
    - Ben

Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death! And to those in the tombs, bestowing life!
    Χριστὸς ἀνέστη ἐκ νεκρῶν, θανάτῳ θάνατον πατήσας! καὶ τοῖς ἐν τοῖς μνήμασι, ζωὴν χαρισάμενος!
    Thanks Dennis M. Scott - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Burch View Post
    However, Paul does seem quite clear in 1 Corinthians 15 that something will be different about those bodies.
    Looks like there is a surprise ahead for you! (And for all of us, I'm sure)
    Love the sinner, hate the sin? Love the sinner and hate your own sin! - Tony Campolo
    Laughing Dennis M. Scott - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

I know it's way beyond Scripture and probably a result of reading too much SciFi, but I have a suspicion that some of the more popular fictional "super powers" stem from built-in, unreleased human potentials to do those things. In other words, our species-long dream of flying, etc. is rooted in that capability being part of our original design.

Again, way beyond Scripture I know.
    Thanks Jim Chabot - "thanks" for this post

Dan Henderson

I know it's way beyond Scripture and probably a result of reading too much SciFi, but I have a suspicion that some of the more popular fictional "super powers" stem from built-in, unreleased human potentials to do those things. In other words, our species-long dream of flying, etc. is rooted in that capability being part of our original design.

Yet way cool.

Post Thanks / Like

As most people can probably tell from 3 years of my participation on NN, my brain is far too empirical for this kind of thinking. Thus, I've never gotten into that scifi stuff...

That being as it is.... this is a SUPER awesomely cool thought.
    - Ben

Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death! And to those in the tombs, bestowing life!
    Χριστὸς ἀνέστη ἐκ νεκρῶν, θανάτῳ θάνατον πατήσας! καὶ τοῖς ἐν τοῖς μνήμασι, ζωὴν χαρισάμενος!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Burch View Post
    The author of 1 John 3 seemed to be open to being surprised as well:

Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Schmidt View Post
    The author of 1 John 3 seemed to be open to being surprised as well:
    I completely agree.

I love the speculation, I think it's fun and what's more, I think it's a healthy way to affirm our belief in God's grace of resurrection and new life. I just don't have the brain for the speculation! lol. I also think, for textual reasons, it may not be the best idea to get to locked into the examples of Christ's resurrected body.
    - Ben

Post Thanks / Like

If nothing else, we can use the post-resurrection appearances of Jesus to think about teleportation. That would be a fun way to get around!
    Thanks Benjamin Burch - "thanks" for this post
    Laughing Benjamin Burch - thanks for this funny post

+ Reply to Thread