+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I hope I never have to live in a city again

Post Thanks / Like

I hope I never have to live in a city again

Just yesterday and today, I've seen from my window: Canada geese, Common Mergansers, Hooded Mergansers, Wood Ducks, Mallards, a beaver, a red-tailed hawk, and an osprey.

We've seen (from our windows) moose, deer, fox, raccoons, weasels and mink (stay away from my chickens!), owls, eagles, otter, muskrats, rabbits, woodchucks, partridges, pileated woodpeckers, wild turkeys, as well as many assorted other songbirds and hawks--even an albino chickadee. That's not counting the various critters we've seen in the yard: toads, snakes, turtles, newts, voles. Squirrels, of course. There have been coyote tracks around the house, but we didn't see him until he was struck by a car. We've seen bears up the road, but not from the house. That's a good thing.

If I had to live in a city again (I've lived in Boston, and Claremont NH), they would have to drag me kicking and screaming.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I hope I never have to live in a city again

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy Gray View Post
    Just yesterday and today, I've seen from my window: Canada geese, Common Mergansers, Hooded Mergansers, Wood Ducks, Mallards, a beaver, a red-tailed hawk, and an osprey.

We've seen (from our windows) moose, deer, fox, raccoons, weasels and mink (stay away from my chickens!), owls, eagles, otter, muskrats, rabbits, woodchucks, partridges, pileated woodpeckers, wild turkeys, as well as many assorted other songbirds and hawks--even an albino chickadee. That's not counting the various critters we've seen in the yard: toads, snakes, turtles, newts, voles. Squirrels, of course. There have been coyote tracks around the house, but we didn't see him until he was struck by a car. We've seen bears up the road, but not from the house. That's a good thing.

If I had to live in a city again (I've lived in Boston, and Claremont NH), they would have to drag me kicking and screaming.
    Keep a camera ready. We would love to see your pictures. We had an osprey yesterday, but it was gone before I could grap the camera.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I had a good camera and knew how to use it! Most of my photos are of the "See that dark spot? That's a turkey" variety. They're more proof than art.
    Laughing Jeremy D. Scott, Diane Likens, Gina Stevenson - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I had a good camera and knew how to use it! Most of my photos are of the "See that dark spot? That's a turkey" variety. They're more proof than art.
    Peggy, would you come to Boston as a missionary and help plant a new "Organic" church there?

Post Thanks / Like

What's an organic church? The congregation doesn't have to be in cages or something?
    Laughing Jeremy D. Scott, Susan Unger, Diane Likens, Gina Stevenson - thanks for this funny post

Post Thanks / Like

You lost me at snakes, bears and coyotes. But I am glad that you are enjoying yourself
    Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. 1 John 3:18

There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. 1 John 4:18a

Become an organ donor ~ donatelife.net ~ www.organdonor.gov

Post Thanks / Like

We don't see many snakes, and they're little harmless ones. We take the bird feeders in early in the spring to avoid attracting bears. The coyotes...well, at least they aren't alligators!!

Post Thanks / Like

Peggy,
    I'm sorry to hear that you have decided to refuse to ever live in a city. One day you will receive and invitation to live in the New Jerusalem and it will be such a shame that the only way to get you there would be kicking and screaming.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, yes! My city-slicker Joe was quite intent on buying a hand gun or two when we moved here from the city. He was just so certain that being "in the woods" was dangerous. I told him he'd be hearing gunshots around here for sure. During hunting season. In the daytime. In our old neighborhood, we heard nighttime gunshots more often than I care to remember. After five years, he's come to understand that the coyotes and snakes aren't nearly as dangerous or scary as the two-legged animals we left behind us.

By the way -- we DO have a gun. It's a shotgun. It hangs above the fireplace. Looks good there. It'd do the trick if we needed it to, but I doubt we'll ever need to use it for its "intended" purpose.

Oh, and Roland -- I will gleefully skip into New Jerusalem.
    Wherever I am, God is, and all is well.
    Thanks Susan Unger - "thanks" for this post

+ Reply to Thread