+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Junior Seau 1969-2012

Post Thanks / Like

Junior Seau 1969-2012

Junior Seau has died of an apparent suicide. ESPN has the story here.

A very sad story.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Junior Seau 1969-2012

Suicide is always so sad. I can't imagine being so depressed or in so much pain that death becomes more attractive than life. My heart aches for him.
    Wherever I am, God is, and all is well.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, he's my age. Sobering.

Post Thanks / Like

Very sad story. Is it confirmed as suicide??? This story is happening in Ben's "backyard" maybe he can give us an idea of the San Diego area reaction and story lines to Jr's apparent suicide. Ben Ben ?? where are you?
    "And as we pass the collection plate, please give as if the person next to you was watching."
    -Rev. Lovejoy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Moseley View Post
    Very sad story. Is it confirmed as suicide??? This story is happening in Ben's "backyard" maybe he can give us an idea of the San Diego area reaction and story lines to Jr's apparent suicide. Ben Ben ?? where are you?
    People are very sad, here. Most people don't doubt the "suicide" conclusion at this point, mainly because of his accident in 2010.

Seau had exhibited some troubling behavior in recent years. He was hospitalized in 2010 after his Cadillac Escalade SUV went off Interstate 5 in Carlsbad, which is between San Diego and Oceanside, and plunged down a 30-foot coastal cliff. Officers said they asked Seau if he had tried to kill himself, but he told them he had fallen asleep at the wheel. Police told him he was very lucky to have survived the fall. Was this a harbinger of what was to come? Some witnesses said at the time that they saw the car speed up as it approached the cliff. But it was never officially declared a suicide attempt.
    Suspicion has hung around out here that it was a suicide attempt and most people I know who are invested in the Chargers and Seau seem to be of the opinion that it was a suicide attempt, especially after this.

As far as whether it is "confirmed' or not, anyone's guess is as good as mine. I'm currently studying for my final exam for my MA, and just don't have the time to keep up with local news or sports.
    - Ben

Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death! And to those in the tombs, bestowing life!
    Χριστὸς ἀνέστη ἐκ νεκρῶν, θανάτῳ θάνατον πατήσας! καὶ τοῖς ἐν τοῖς μνήμασι, ζωὴν χαρισάμενος!
    Thanks Scott Moseley, Dennis M. Scott - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

This will add to the call for further research into the consequences of sports head injuries.
    "Fully embracing the Gospel, fully engaging the world"

Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Seau's suicide may have something to do with head injuries but certainly the root causes of suicide span all careers and socio-economic classes. I suspect Mr. Seau's suicide has its roots in dissatisfaction with life, family life, meaningful purpose of life and some bio-physical reasons. Money can not buy happiness, although it does help a little, ultimate happiness is found in an intimate relationship with Jesus which includes the accountability relationships of a church family. When people engage in meaningful small group relationships, the church at its best will be a safety net for folks dealing with life issues. Love one another and let others love you.
    Thanks Dennis M. Scott, Gina Stevenson - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sea's brain has been donated to research. I'm no expert, but I'm thinking impaired mental faculties had little to do with it. He was functional in everyday life and capable of taking care of himself and others. Maybe the bigger factors were that he was emotionally distraught and seemed to have no meaning and purpose beyond football. Although, I would not rule out brain trauma as a contributing factor. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Post Thanks / Like

I would say the combination of both leaving the NFL and probably the head trauma since it has been considered a link in certain aspects of metal illnesses or problems.
    "Means we use must be as pure as the ends we seek."

+ Reply to Thread