+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ďAll Because of Godís Amazing GraceĒ

Post Thanks / Like

ďAll Because of Godís Amazing GraceĒ

The incomparable riches of his grace. ~ Ephesians 2:7

Steve Adams was born into the Woonsocket, Rhode Island, Nazarene parsonage in 1943. He was only seven years old when he began piano lessons. He said, ďAs a child, only eight years of age, the Lord spoke to my heart in a camp-meeting service, telling me that when I became older He wanted me to write music for the church to sing.Ē

In 1959 Steve's father was called to pastor the Frankfort, Indiana, Church of the Nazarene. By now, 16-year-old Steve was playing the organ and piano in church. His talent was obvious and someone suggested that he visit another aspiring musician and songwriter who lived in Alexandria, 47 miles due east of Frankfort on SR 28. So young Adams drove over and, without an invitation, knocked on Bill Gaitherís front door. After introducing himself and explaining why he was there, Bill and Gloria invited him in and fed him supper. The outcome of this meeting was Bill asking Steve to travel with the Gaither Trio and play organ in church concerts. After getting his college degree and teaching school, he continued to travel with the Gaither Trio, Henry and Hazel Slaughter, and Doug Oldham. Eventually he left teaching to pursue the career God called him to at that long ago camp meeting.

Adams was 28-years-old in 1971. One Friday evening the group was in a concert at the New Haven, Indiana High School auditorium. Doug Oldham sang first and Steve played the piano for him. When they were finished, the Slaughters sang next and he stayed in the wings to watch them. At one point in their set, Steve related that Henry took Hazelís hand and tearfully said, ďYou know, honey, everything we are and everything we hope to be is because of Godís amazing grace at work in our lives.Ē This thought stuck with him all weekend and while he taught school on Monday. That evening he sat at his little spinet piano and wrote this song. The Speer Familyís recording of it guaranteed its success and launched his career in Christian music.

Amazing grace - O how sweet the sound
    That saved a poor sinner like me!
    Thoí once I was lost, yet now Iím found;
    Thoí I was blinded, now I see!

Refrain
    And itís all because of Godís amazing grace!
    Because on Calvíryís mountain He took my place!
    And some day, some glorious morning,
    I shall see Him face to face,
    All because of Godís amazing grace!

- Stephen R. Adams, 1971

Copied from Sing to the Lord © 1993 by Lillenas Publishing Company

Hymn commentary courtesy J. D. Sherrow
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	120504 All Because of God’s Amazing Grace.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	3686  
    Thanks Peggy Gray, Dana Grant, Sharon Williams, Jim Franklin - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ďAll Because of Godís Amazing GraceĒ

Nelson, thanks for the song. It is one of my fav
    Thanks Nelson Bradford - "thanks" for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ďAll Because of Godís Amazing GraceĒ

Thanks so much Nelson! Love that song, love most all of Steve's songs. Then again Steve is a close friend of our family, so we had better like his music!

Steve still comes back to camp meeting, and we look forward to seeing him up here. I've been running sound for Steve for the last ten years or so when he is in the area. I bought all of his sound equipment from him about seven or eight years ago.

Thanks for promoting my good friend!
    -Jim

To know and to serve God, of course, is why we're here, a clear truth, that, like the nose on your face, is near at hand and easily discernible but can make you dizzy if you try to focus on it hard. But a little faith will see you through.

Garrison Keillor
    Thanks Nelson Bradford - "thanks" for this post

+ Reply to Thread