+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Communion Stories

Post Thanks / Like

Communion Stories

The older I get the more powerful (emotionally) is the Lord's Table to me. (Already powerful spiritually) Over and over again I see amazing and wonderful things happen during communion.

I thought maybe we should start a thread to share inspirational stories about things that have happened during communion. I assume pastors will be the primary contributors just because of our relationship to the Eucharist but all are welcome.

We almost always serve communion by intinction and the first Sunday of our quarter we do Family Communion when the kids come in from children's church. (about 70 kids on any give Sunday so it is bit of logistical zoo) During these family communions I often see very powerful moments.

Some of you know we changed our local government to Elder/Deacon and I now have our Elders do a lot of the serving of communion. This Sunday after my aisle was done I slipped over to help one of our new Elders I got there just as his family was up. I realized this would be the first time he would serve communion to his family. I stepped back so that his young girls would not come to me. As I stood there is was hard to keep my composure as this young man bent down to serve his three daughters. Two of them are adopted from China. They each took a wafer with him saying "The body of Christ which was broken for you" they then held it until all had bread, then dipped it in the cup all four hands at once as he said "His blood which was shed for you" - All those little hands holding the wafers, two of them brown and mom's loving guiding hand, and Dad's hand holding the cup and a look of deep love for his family. (Him still bent over so he could look the girls in the eye)

It is such an honor to be in a place to witness those moments. - I love my job.

What stories do you have... I have others but would love to hear yours.
    It is not enough to be right, you have to be like Jesus.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Communion Stories

Craig, I obviously don't have all that many stories to tell, since it has been only a few years that I've been administering communion. But I won't forget one moment. I had done the invitation and explained that this sacrament is not about understanding it, nor about being good enough. In fact, I shared that myself, I didn't fully understand and if people thought they were good enough to come forward, they would be the only ones who needed to reconsider. Jesus invites us, and it is pure grace.

When the people came forward, for the first time ever, the husband of one of the ladies in church came too! He was and is in a process towards faith. This was one huge step in that process, and I was so grateful to see it happen! Btw, he now faithfully attends our Bible study group.
    Love the sinner, hate the sin? Love the sinner and hate your own sin! - Tony Campolo

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Communion Stories

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Deventer View Post
    Craig, I obviously don't have all that many stories to tell, since it has been only a few years that I've been administering communion. But I won't forget one moment. I had done the invitation and explained that this sacrament is not about understanding it, nor about being good enough. In fact, I shared that myself, I didn't fully understand and if people thought they were good enough to come forward, they would be the only ones who needed to reconsider. Jesus invites us, and it is pure grace.

When the people came forward, for the first time ever, the husband of one of the ladies in church came too! He was and is in a process towards faith. This was one huge step in that process, and I was so grateful to see it happen! Btw, he now faithfully attends our Bible study group.
    Love this. I have had folks come to faith at the table. - I have served communion to folks who were crying as they took their first communion and proclaimed publicly, if not real obviously, that they had stepped into faith. - Good stuff.

Your example reminds my how dangerous it is to decide who is in and who is out. He may already be there in his heart but his head hasn't caught up. Does sound like it is quickly closing the gap.
    It is not enough to be right, you have to be like Jesus.
    Thanks John Kennedy, Paul DeBaufer - "thanks" for this post

+ Reply to Thread