+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 49

Thread: New Superintendent in Upstate New York

  1. #1
    Host Theology Forum Dennis M. Scott's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Windham, New Hampshire
    Posts
    2,990
    Post Thanks / Like

    New Superintendent in Upstate New York

    Bud Reedy has been appointed to Upstate.

    Likely Bud may not remember, but years ago, when we were looking for a pastor to take over our church plant in Parish, New York, I called and spoke with Bud, who was a senior at NTS. He declined the offer, citing that if the district wasn't going to support the new work financially, he wasn't interested. Good pastor, good church, good DS selection.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Lucas Finch's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Victor, MT
    Posts
    2,165
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New Superintendent in Upstate New York

    Because us RMDers stole the previous Upstate New York DS.
    If I speak God’s Word with power, revealing all his mysteries and making everything plain as day, and if I have faith that says to a mountain, “Jump,” and it jumps, but I don’t love, I’m nothing.
    Paul, 1 Corinthians 13:2

    So when the gospel is diminished to a question of whether or not a person will “get into heaven,” that reduces the good news to a ticket, a way to get past the bouncer and into the club. The good news is better than that.
    Rob Bell, Love Wins

  3. #3
    Senior Member Nelson Bradford's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Bourbonnais, IL,
    Posts
    2,597
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New Superintendent in Upstate New York

    Since I was stationed in Upstate New York for three years - Sampson Air Force Base, Geneva, and my bride and I are charter members of the Seneca Falls Church of the Nazarene - 1954-1957 - do you suppose he knows me?



    Or cares?

    I think the SF Church is now closed.

    -neb

  4. #4
    Senior Member Susan Unger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    9,091
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New Superintendent in Upstate New York

    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Bradford View Post
    Since I was stationed in Upstate New York for three years - Sampson Air Force Base, Geneva, and my bride and I are charter members of the Seneca Falls Church of the Nazarene - 1954-1957 - do you suppose he knows me?



    Or cares?

    I think the SF Church is now closed.

    -neb
    There's one 18 miles away in Auburn. Is this a different one from the one of which you speak?
    Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. 1 John 3:18

    There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. 1 John 4:18a


    Become an organ donor ~ donatelife.net ~ www.organdonor.gov

  5. #5
    Senior Member Nelson Bradford's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Bourbonnais, IL,
    Posts
    2,597
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New Superintendent in Upstate New York

    Quote Originally Posted by Susan Unger View Post
    There's one 18 miles away in Auburn. Is this a different one from the one of which you speak?
    "a different one"

    a) A different air force base?
    or
    b) A different church that closed?

    The Air Force Base where I took basic training and stayed as permanent party had a Geneva NY mailing address but was in reality (am guessing) 20 miles south of there on Lake Geneva - one of the Finger Lakes.

    The Seneca Falls Church of the Nazarene was maybe 5-6 miles east of Geneva. Our first full-time pastor was Alvin S. Lawhead, who later taught at the Seminary, was one of the contributors to the NKJV (Psalms). After SF, he pastored near Boston, where he earned his PhD.

    That's all I know . . . or am willing to divulge.

    8-)

  6. #6
    Senior Member James Diggs's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,752
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New Superintendent in Upstate New York

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis M. Scott View Post
    Bud Reedy has been appointed to Upstate.

    Likely Bud may not remember, but years ago, when we were looking for a pastor to take over our church plant in Parish, New York, I called and spoke with Bud, who was a senior at NTS. He declined the offer, citing that if the district wasn't going to support the new work financially, he wasn't interested. Good pastor, good church, good DS selection.
    Bud was pastoring the largest church on our district and was very well respected by everyone here. I think he will do a great job, but he will be missed here.
    Thanks Mike Schutz, Ryan Scott, Susan Unger, Dennis M. Scott - "thanks" for this post

  7. #7
    Senior Member Eric Frey's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,169
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New Superintendent in Upstate New York

    How can they appoint a DS without the obligatory several months of Naznet speculation and pontification???
    “Martyrs rather than the pastors of megachurches might now become our evangelistic exemplars, and the ‘excellence’ of evangelistic practice’ will be measurable not by numbers but rather by obedience to a crucified God”

    - Bryan Stone Evangelism After Christendom

  8. #8
    Senior Member James Diggs's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,752
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New Superintendent in Upstate New York

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Frey View Post
    How can they appoint a DS without the obligatory several months of Naznet speculation and pontification???
    They must be doing something right

  9. #9
    Host Book, Movie & CE forums Ryan Scott's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Middletown, DE
    Posts
    7,300
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New Superintendent in Upstate New York

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Frey View Post
    How can they appoint a DS without the obligatory several months of Naznet speculation and pontification???
    That's our fault. We've had at least two months to speculate. I even revived the thread last week with a question about whether anyone had heard news. Apparently Upstate New York is just not in our immediate sphere, which is odd considering we've got several regular posts from there.

    I think this is a great move for all involved. The bigger question is how Stillmeadow will get someone to follow one of the more unconventional pastors around (with a 22 year tenure). Tough shoes to fill.
    ...just my $.02.
    Thanks Dennis M. Scott - "thanks" for this post

  10. #10
    Senior Member Susan Unger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    9,091
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New Superintendent in Upstate New York

    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Bradford View Post
    "a different one"

    a) A different air force base?
    or
    b) A different church that closed?

    The Air Force Base where I took basic training and stayed as permanent party had a Geneva NY mailing address but was in reality (am guessing) 20 miles south of there on Lake Geneva - one of the Finger Lakes.

    The Seneca Falls Church of the Nazarene was maybe 5-6 miles east of Geneva. Our first full-time pastor was Alvin S. Lawhead, who later taught at the Seminary, was one of the contributors to the NKJV (Psalms). After SF, he pastored near Boston, where he earned his PhD.

    That's all I know . . . or am willing to divulge.

    8-)
    I was refering to church. I was curious if it moved to Auburn and became the Auburn CotN or if there were two different churches.
    Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. 1 John 3:18

    There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. 1 John 4:18a


    Become an organ donor ~ donatelife.net ~ www.organdonor.gov

  11. #11
    Host Theology Forum Dennis M. Scott's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Windham, New Hampshire
    Posts
    2,990
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New Superintendent in Upstate New York

    Quote Originally Posted by James Diggs View Post
    Bud was pastoring the largest church on our district and was very well respected by everyone here. I think he will do a great job, but he will be missed here.
    He has been one of the most effective pastors on this educational region. He clearly comes to Upstate from the largest church any previous DS there has had. Upstate is not without her challenges. I can't think of anyone who would fit better, though. He will enjoy wide and rapid acceptance. He will not be a "coast and play golf" kind of DS. I, personally, didn't see this one coming, however. I enjoy making predictions, and sometimes get them right. This one caught me off guard, however.

    Sure seems like Stillmeadow will be a task to fill. I don't know their staff, but they check their own pockets.
    Thanks Doug Kitchen, Susan Unger, James Diggs - "thanks" for this post

  12. #12
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    323
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New Superintendent in Upstate New York

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Scott View Post
    That's our fault. We've had at least two months to speculate. I even revived the thread last week with a question about whether anyone had heard news. Apparently Upstate New York is just not in our immediate sphere, which is odd considering we've got several regular posts from there.

    I think this is a great move for all involved. The bigger question is how Stillmeadow will get someone to follow one of the more unconventional pastors around (with a 22 year tenure). Tough shoes to fill.
    Well I was on the committee and couldn't say anything publicly. I don't think there are any other upstater's on naznet. Therefore, I took my role as the sole naznet representative and chief pontification officer (CPO) very seriously to ensure that the meetings were long, arduous, covered irrelevant topics and didn't settle anything. It was just like you were all there with me.

    I'm just kidding of course. The meetings and on-line discussions were really useful. I thought the process was quite fast (Bill Carr officially moved in early September) but we were not rushed. It was a privilege to be part of such a great group of leaders both at the district and general level.

    We are excited to have Bud join us on upstate.

    Ryan, you are right, stillmeadow may be difficult to fill.

    Doug
    Thanks Craig Laughlin - "thanks" for this post
    Laughing Craig Laughlin, Susan Unger, David Troxler - thanks for this funny post

  13. #13
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    323
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New Superintendent in Upstate New York

    Quote Originally Posted by Susan Unger View Post
    I was refering to church. I was curious if it moved to Auburn and became the Auburn CotN or if there were two different churches.
    I've only been on the district for 15 years. I suspect that Seneca falls closed. Auburn seems to be doing well.

    Dr. Lawhead was also an influential pastor in Schenectady (my church).

    Doug
    Thanks Nelson Bradford, Susan Unger - "thanks" for this post

  14. #14
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    323
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New Superintendent in Upstate New York

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis M. Scott View Post
    Upstate is not without her challenges.
    I prefer to think of them as opportunities. 6 million people in 4-5 major urban centers. Many, many small rural towns and villages that are often geographically isolated and sometimes unreachable. Most small cities are in decades-long decay. There is a new multi-cultural context developing. We have Liberian and Congolese churches in Buffalo. The eastern end of the district has seen a large population growth. It is nearly impossible to define an adequate geographic district center.

    I can't think of anyone who would fit better, though. He will enjoy wide and rapid acceptance.
    I think there are many, many good days ahead.

    Doug

  15. #15
    Host Theology Forum Dennis M. Scott's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Windham, New Hampshire
    Posts
    2,990
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New Superintendent in Upstate New York

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Kitchen View Post
    I prefer to think of them as opportunities. 6 million people

    Doug
    I was thinking of just a couple dozen of the 6 million. You were not among the ones I was thinking.
    Laughing Doug Kitchen, David Pettigrew - thanks for this funny post

  16. #16
    Senior Member Lucas Finch's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Victor, MT
    Posts
    2,165
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New Superintendent in Upstate New York

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Scott View Post
    That's our fault. We've had at least two months to speculate.
    Yeah, the Rocky Mountain District voted to steal Carr from Upstate New York at the end of June, and it was promptly reported here. Y'all had no excuse to not start speculating on his replacement.

    (Incidentally, I have spent the entire day with the Carrs at our district office helping them get some tech. stuff set up, and hopefully by midday tomorrow I'll have a new RMD website ready to launch.)
    If I speak God’s Word with power, revealing all his mysteries and making everything plain as day, and if I have faith that says to a mountain, “Jump,” and it jumps, but I don’t love, I’m nothing.
    Paul, 1 Corinthians 13:2

    So when the gospel is diminished to a question of whether or not a person will “get into heaven,” that reduces the good news to a ticket, a way to get past the bouncer and into the club. The good news is better than that.
    Rob Bell, Love Wins
    Thanks Michael Flowers, Craig Laughlin - "thanks" for this post
    Laughing Susan Unger, Doug Kitchen, Craig Laughlin - thanks for this funny post

  17. #17
    Senior Member Kyle Borger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Torrington Wyoming
    Posts
    1,032
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New Superintendent in Upstate New York

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Finch View Post
    Yeah, the Rocky Mountain District voted to steal Carr from Upstate New York at the end of June, and it was promptly reported here. Y'all had no excuse to not start speculating on his replacement.

    (Incidentally, I have spent the entire day with the Carrs at our district office helping them get some tech. stuff set up, and hopefully by midday tomorrow I'll have a new RMD website ready to launch.)
    Way to go Lucas. Looking forward to an updated website. Let Coach Carr know that there are many pastors in the area that can assist with different areas of electronic communication.

    Sorry for using the Upstate New York conversation to the advantage of the Rocky Mountain District, but that's how we are out here in the west.
    Thanks Lucas Finch - "thanks" for this post
    Laughing Dennis M. Scott - thanks for this funny post

  18. #18
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    323
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New Superintendent in Upstate New York

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Finch View Post
    Yeah, the Rocky Mountain District voted to steal Carr from Upstate New York at the end of June, and it was promptly reported here. Y'all had no excuse to not start speculating on his replacement.

    (Incidentally, I have spent the entire day with the Carrs at our district office helping them get some tech. stuff set up, and hopefully by midday tomorrow I'll have a new RMD website ready to launch.)
    Lucas and Kyle,

    Next time you see Coach Bill and Janet, please give them my fondest regards.

    But please, do not tell them how you know me.

    BTW, RMD may have stolen our DS but we one-UPped you and got MAD. (this probably needs to be explained - mid atlantic district is Bud's district)

    Doug
    Thanks John Reilly - "thanks" for this post
    Laughing Dennis M. Scott, Lucas Finch, Susan Unger - thanks for this funny post

  19. #19
    Senior Member John Reilly's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Keene, NH
    Posts
    1,329
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New Superintendent in Upstate New York

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Kitchen View Post
    Lucas and Kyle,

    Next time you see Coach Bill and Janet, please give them my fondest regards.

    But please, do not tell them how you know me.

    BTW, RMD may have stolen our DS but we one-UPped you and got MAD. (this probably needs to be explained - mid atlantic district is Bud's district)

    Doug
    DOug's KEy

    UPped - UPstate New York district NEW superintendent from YORK and rides a moped (due to tight budget restrictions)
    RMD - Not only the Rocky Mountaiin District but also the "Rural Meditation Disciplines" (a new district growth strategy for DS's from the GS's)
    MAD - Not only the Mid Atlantic District but also "Maximizing Allocation Deficits" (a crisis recovery plan for the new WEF formula)

    Respectfully submitted,
    ENMC
    (Emerging Nazarenes Management Committee)
    Thanks Kyle Borger - "thanks" for this post
    Laughing Mike Schutz, Lucas Finch, Bob Hunter, Susan Unger, Doug Kitchen - thanks for this funny post

  20. #20
    Senior Member Lucas Finch's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Victor, MT
    Posts
    2,165
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New Superintendent in Upstate New York

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Kitchen View Post
    Next time you see Coach Bill and Janet, please give them my fondest regards.
    Well, I hear them getting ready to face the day in the bedroom next door, so I suspect that I will be seeing them soon!

    They do not have a house yet, so when they have been in Billings (they have thus far spent most of their time on district), they have been the house guests of a family in one of our Billings churches. This particular family is the family that I always stay with when I am in Billings and not staying in a hotel for a particular meeting or conference. So I have seen quite a bit of them over the last couple of days. This afternoon our Ministry Team Retreat begins, though, so I'll be moving into a hotel.
    If I speak God’s Word with power, revealing all his mysteries and making everything plain as day, and if I have faith that says to a mountain, “Jump,” and it jumps, but I don’t love, I’m nothing.
    Paul, 1 Corinthians 13:2

    So when the gospel is diminished to a question of whether or not a person will “get into heaven,” that reduces the good news to a ticket, a way to get past the bouncer and into the club. The good news is better than that.
    Rob Bell, Love Wins

  21. #21
    Senior Member Jeremy D. Scott's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Hingham, Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    1,733
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New Superintendent in Upstate New York

    Here's an article from the local media.
    Thanks Mike Schutz, Ryan Scott - "thanks" for this post

  22. #22
    Host Gen. Disc. Forum David Pettigrew's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Denison, Texas, United States
    Posts
    2,054
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New Superintendent in Upstate New York

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Finch View Post
    Well, I hear them getting ready to face the day in the bedroom next door,
    If I didn't have sanctification just gushing through my veins, I would want to make so many jokes about this .
    Laughing Lucas Finch, Doug Kitchen, David Troxler, Kevin Rector - thanks for this funny post

  23. #23
    Senior Member Lucas Finch's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Victor, MT
    Posts
    2,165
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New Superintendent in Upstate New York

    Quote Originally Posted by David Pettigrew View Post
    If I didn't have sanctification just gushing through my veins, I would want to make so many jokes about this .
    Thank goodness for sanctification!
    If I speak God’s Word with power, revealing all his mysteries and making everything plain as day, and if I have faith that says to a mountain, “Jump,” and it jumps, but I don’t love, I’m nothing.
    Paul, 1 Corinthians 13:2

    So when the gospel is diminished to a question of whether or not a person will “get into heaven,” that reduces the good news to a ticket, a way to get past the bouncer and into the club. The good news is better than that.
    Rob Bell, Love Wins

  24. #24
    Host Gen. Disc. Forum David Pettigrew's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Denison, Texas, United States
    Posts
    2,054
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New Superintendent in Upstate New York

    From NCN News:

    Dr. Bud Reedy Jr., recently appointed to the office of superintendent of the Upstate New York District, has determined that he cannot accept the appointment and has withdrawn from the assignment.
    Thanks Dennis M. Scott, Craig Laughlin - "thanks" for this post

  25. #25
    Host Theology Forum Dennis M. Scott's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Windham, New Hampshire
    Posts
    2,990
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New Superintendent in Upstate New York

    John Bowling all over again.

  26. #26
    Senior Member Susan Unger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    9,091
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New Superintendent in Upstate New York

    Quote Originally Posted by David Pettigrew View Post
    From NCN News:

    Dr. Bud Reedy Jr., recently appointed to the office of superintendent of the Upstate New York District, has determined that he cannot accept the appointment and has withdrawn from the assignment.
    Do you have the link for this? I don't see any NCN news link stating this and from what I've heard off Naznet, Bud had a clear call to go to Upstate.
    Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. 1 John 3:18

    There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. 1 John 4:18a


    Become an organ donor ~ donatelife.net ~ www.organdonor.gov
    Thanks Mark Bolerjack - "thanks" for this post

  27. #27
    Assistant Site Administrator/Forum Host Jon Twitchell's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Cape Elizabeth, ME
    Posts
    2,240
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New Superintendent in Upstate New York

    Quote Originally Posted by Susan Unger View Post
    Do you have the link for this? I don't see any NCN news link stating this and from what I've heard off Naznet, Bud had a clear call to go to Upstate.
    http://www.facebook.com/ncnnews?ref=ts&fref=ts
    Grace and Peace,

    Jon Twitchell


    Cape Elizabeth Church of the Nazarene | YourChurchWeb.net | YourChurchPianist.net | FuneralChaplain.com
    Thanks Susan Unger - "thanks" for this post

  28. #28
    Senior Member Craig Laughlin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Posts
    4,167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New Superintendent in Upstate New York

    See.... If Naznet doesn't vet them it doesn't work! - NOW we can have debate!
    It is not enough to be right, you have to be like Jesus.
    Laughing Susan Unger, Lucas Finch - thanks for this funny post

  29. #29
    Senior Member Susan Unger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    9,091
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New Superintendent in Upstate New York

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Twitchell View Post
    Hmmm......
    Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. 1 John 3:18

    There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. 1 John 4:18a


    Become an organ donor ~ donatelife.net ~ www.organdonor.gov

  30. #30
    Assistant Site Administrator/Forum Host Jon Twitchell's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Cape Elizabeth, ME
    Posts
    2,240
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New Superintendent in Upstate New York

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Twitchell View Post
    Let me just say that I kind of wish NCNNews wouldn't post something on facebook UNTIL they've taken the time to write the associated press release. It merely fuels speculation and rumors. The FB post really should have contained a link to an article that had a synopsis with appropriate language hammered out. I realize that not everything needs to be public consumption, but I suspect there is more to the story that can (and probably will) be released.
    Grace and Peace,

    Jon Twitchell


    Cape Elizabeth Church of the Nazarene | YourChurchWeb.net | YourChurchPianist.net | FuneralChaplain.com
    Thanks John Reilly - "thanks" for this post

  31. #31
    Senior Member Craig Laughlin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Posts
    4,167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New Superintendent in Upstate New York

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Kitchen View Post
    Well I was on the committee and couldn't say anything publicly. I don't think there are any other upstater's on naznet. Therefore, I took my role as the sole naznet representative and chief pontification officer (CPO) very seriously to ensure that the meetings were long, arduous, covered irrelevant topics and didn't settle anything. It was just like you were all there with me.

    I'm just kidding of course. The meetings and on-line discussions were really useful. I thought the process was quite fast (Bill Carr officially moved in early September) but we were not rushed. It was a privilege to be part of such a great group of leaders both at the district and general level.

    We are excited to have Bud join us on upstate.

    Ryan, you are right, stillmeadow may be difficult to fill.

    Doug
    Okay this post confused me. It gave me the impression there was a search and vetting process. Did he say yes to the committee and then change his mind after election or was this an open election and he had not been vetted?

    This is what happened on WAPAC, we elected a guy that turned us down after several weeks of thinking about it. In the end it was good because it led to the formal search process which turned out great but one of the benefits of that process is the person recommended has had a long time to think about it and give a solid answer.
    It is not enough to be right, you have to be like Jesus.

  32. #32
    Host Theology Forum Dennis M. Scott's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Windham, New Hampshire
    Posts
    2,990
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New Superintendent in Upstate New York

    There will be more that eventually is released, undoubtedly. I don't know anything, but it usually happens.

  33. #33
    Senior Member Susan Unger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    9,091
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New Superintendent in Upstate New York

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Twitchell View Post
    Let me just say that I kind of wish NCNNews wouldn't post something on facebook UNTIL they've taken the time to write the associated press release. It merely fuels speculation and rumors. The FB post really should have contained a link to an article that had a synopsis with appropriate language hammered out. I realize that not everything needs to be public consumption, but I suspect there is more to the story that can (and probably will) be released.
    I heartedly agree. A facebook post with no link is very confusing. And how do we know without that link that someone at NCNnews wrote that? FB accounts can be hacked.
    Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. 1 John 3:18

    There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. 1 John 4:18a


    Become an organ donor ~ donatelife.net ~ www.organdonor.gov

  34. #34
    Senior Member Mike Schutz's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    West Grove, PA
    Posts
    2,339
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New Superintendent in Upstate New York

    Pray for Bud, Sally, the Stillmeadow church, and the Upstate District.
    "Fully embracing the Gospel, fully engaging the world"

  35. #35
    Senior Member Craig Laughlin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Posts
    4,167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New Superintendent in Upstate New York

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schutz View Post
    Pray for Bud, Sally, the Stillmeadow church, and the Upstate District.
    Indeed, on our district the process was brutal for the guy that was elected and then turned it down.
    It is not enough to be right, you have to be like Jesus.

  36. #36
    Senior Member Craig Laughlin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Posts
    4,167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New Superintendent in Upstate New York

    Okay may be picking here but the Facebook post says he was appointed, was he not elected? If he was appointed then this is really strange.
    It is not enough to be right, you have to be like Jesus.

  37. #37
    Host Book, Movie & CE forums Ryan Scott's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Middletown, DE
    Posts
    7,300
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New Superintendent in Upstate New York

    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Laughlin View Post
    Okay may be picking here but the Facebook post says he was appointed, was he not elected? If he was appointed then this is really strange.
    It seems he likely changed his mind. This now makes him experienced enough to be elected GS. But yes, he was appointed and had announced his resignation to his congregation.

    I suspect he's got a pretty good reason - that or, knowing Bud, this could be just the best, most elaborate October Fools joke he's ever devised.

    Certainly we'll be in prayer for clarity and focus for all involved.
    ...just my $.02.
    Thanks Craig Laughlin, Susan Unger - "thanks" for this post

  38. #38
    Senior Member Craig Laughlin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Posts
    4,167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New Superintendent in Upstate New York

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Scott View Post
    It seems he likely changed his mind. This now makes him experienced enough to be elected GS. But yes, he was appointed and had announced his resignation to his congregation.

    I suspect he's got a pretty good reason - that or, knowing Bud, this could be just the best, most elaborate October Fools joke he's ever devised.

    Certainly we'll be in prayer for clarity and focus for all involved.
    I sympathize with him. It took the Lord beating me over the head a long time for me to get clear what He was asking of me. Sometimes it just takes longer than the system allows.
    It is not enough to be right, you have to be like Jesus.

  39. #39
    Senior Member Eric Frey's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,169
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New Superintendent in Upstate New York

    I know, I know, I say this too much: we really need a better way of "calling" in our denomination. A colleague in my DMin cohort is now an Episcopal bishop. In their process, the discernment comes before the election (and it is always an election... no exceptions). Once one allows one's name to be considered then the names of the candidates are all released as are their written responses to the interview questions prepared by the search committee. Their bio and their answers are all posted on the diocese web site for a period of time prior to the election. It is a wonderfully transparent process.
    “Martyrs rather than the pastors of megachurches might now become our evangelistic exemplars, and the ‘excellence’ of evangelistic practice’ will be measurable not by numbers but rather by obedience to a crucified God”

    - Bryan Stone Evangelism After Christendom
    Thanks Craig Laughlin, Kevin Rector - "thanks" for this post

  40. #40
    Senior Member Craig Laughlin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Posts
    4,167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: New Superintendent in Upstate New York

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Frey View Post
    I know, I know, I say this too much: we really need a better way of "calling" in our denomination. A colleague in my DMin cohort is now an Episcopal bishop. In their process, the discernment comes before the election (and it is always an election... no exceptions). Once one allows one's name to be considered then the names of the candidates are all released as are their written responses to the interview questions prepared by the search committee. Their bio and their answers are all posted on the diocese web site for a period of time prior to the election. It is a wonderfully transparent process.
    Much better process than our current system. We may get there given the trend for people to turn down DS and even GS elections and apparently appointments. Just takes awhile for folks to accept that reality has changed. Denial is so comforting.
    It is not enough to be right, you have to be like Jesus.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts